Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
DISCLAIMER: JKR owns all.

A/N: I’m sure you are all looking forward to HP6 as much as I am. Here’s my next instalment before the big day lol.

Many thanks to my beta excessivelyperky and also to Raven Dancer who very kindly gave me her advice and helped me to keep her healers in character.

Dolls and Healing

Harry’s birthday had been a great success. The children had enjoyed the party and the opportunities to play together had done a great deal to strengthen their relationship. However, positive though all this was, both children still displayed signs that many of their problems, caused by their respective unhappy childhoods, had yet to be healed. They would still wake up with nightmares and sometimes become very withdrawn. Albus and Minerva were glad they had arranged help for them.

A week after Harry’s party, James Barnes walked into Dumbledore's office.

“Good morning, James” Dumbledore beamed, “I trust that you are well?”

“Very well thank you, Albus,” James returned his smile, “Although if I want to keep it that way, I'll have to stop Jeffrey cooking. He nearly burned the place down yesterday. I think we need a house-elf.”

Albus laughed, “You should try caring for children, James. I can't take my eyes off them for a second or Merlin knows what they'd get up to.”

“Been there, done that,” chuckled the Healer.

“Well, I am very grateful that you could come, James. I am at a bit of a loss, to be perfectly honest,” Dumbledore ran a hand through his beard.

“Well, caring for children is difficult at the best of times. From what I hear, you've done a good job so far.”

“I hope so,” the old Headmaster had a note of worry in his voice, “They have been through so much. I want to give them the childhood they deserve.”

“You are,” James patted his arm reassuringly, “They trust and love you. They just need a little bit of professional help because of what they have experienced. It is not your fault and you have done the right thing.”

“Well, Minerva is going to take Severus while you and I work with Harry.” Albus looked gratefully at the brown-eyed healer, “He has had the most nightmares lately. How does that sound?”

“That sounds fine,” said James, “Why don't we go and see him, then?”

Dumbledore led him into his living room. Minerva was sitting in an armchair watching the children play with the blocks on a rug in the corner. She smiled at James and ruffled Harry's hair, before taking Severus by the hand and leaving quietly. On seeing a stranger in the room, Harry ran to Albus and buried his face in his robes.

“Hello, Harry,” smiled the healer, “My, you look very smart in those green robes. Did Albus get them for you?” Harry buried his face deeper into the Headmaster's side.

“Molly gave you those for your birthday, didn't she, Harry?” said Albus gently, “This is James. He has come to play with us today. Isn't that nice?”

He led Harry back to the corner where he and Severus had been playing.

“Yes, I even brought some toys for us,” James's brown eyes sparkled as he pulled several dolls and stuffed toys out of his bag.

Albus sat down on the rug and Harry clung to him. James passed the Headmaster one of the dolls, which he, in turn, gave to Harry.

“Look, little one. This is a lovely baby, isn't it?”

For a few minutes, Harry remained pressed against Dumbledore. Then he tentatively reached out for the doll. James sat back, trying to remain as unobtrusive as possible.

“Abus, you pay house with me?” Harry asked softly.

“Of course,” smiled Dumbledore.

“Ok, you be Aunt an' I'll be Uncle,” Harry instructed, becoming more confident.

“And who is the little baby?” Albus asked.

“Coudin,” replied Harry.

“Ah, cousin. I see.”

James watched them carefully and discreetly pushed another doll close to the green eyed toddler. Harry turned and picked it up.

“Oh, do we have two babies?” Dumbledore asked carefully.

“Yeah,” replied Harry, “One is a good boy an' one is bad.”

“I see,” said the old man, “What do we do with the good baby?”

At this point, Dumbledore stole a quick glance at the healer to see if he was doing the right thing. James gave him a small nod of encouragement.

“He gets lots of toys an' he eats lots of dinner,” said the child.

James quickly pulled out an enchanted quill and it began to write quickly on a notepad beside him. He held up a small sheet to Albus.

“Ask him about the other doll,” it read.

“And does the other baby get toys and dinner?” Dumbledore gently enquired, though he felt he already knew the answer.

Harry shook his head firmly.

“Oh, why not?” Dumbledore asked.

“Cos he's a fweak an' he's not 'lowed,” Harry grabbed the doll and pushed it under a nearby table, “You 'tay in there an' be quiet. You aw very bad.” he said loudly.

Albus had to fight to keep his face calm. James quickly slid several more questions over to the old man.

“Where did you put the baby, uncle,” Albus asked, trying to stay in his role. Harry sat back, an almost wild look on his small face.

“he has to 'tay in the Big Dawk. He a bad boy.”

“What did he do that was bad?” Dumbledore read James's next question.

“He pay' with coudin's toys,” said the toddler simply.

“Is it bad for him to play with cousin's toys?”

“Yeah.”

“Why?” Dumbledre saw a look of anger cross Harry's face and wondered if he had gone too far.

“Cos he a fweak!” exclaimed Harry, “Not 'lowed to pay with good coudin's toys.”

Harry ran from the Headmaster. I wild and terrified look on his face. He picked up the doll and threw it across the room.

“No more questions,” James mouthed at the astonished Headmaster. Harry was now shaking and breathing heavily, his face red.

“Harry, come here, love,” Dumbledore cooed. Harry ran to him and threw himself into his arms.

“It's all right. It's all right,” Albus soothed, “Shhh, child, shhh.”

James watched Albus rock Harry back and forth, murmuring comfortingly in his ear. He retrieved the doll and sat holding it for a long minute, thinking.

“Harry?” he asked softly, “Harry?”

Harry had calmed considerably and turned to look at the healer on his second call.

“Could I play with you, too?” James asked, “I have a great idea for a game.”

Harry paused and then nodded shyly, disentangling himself from Dumbledore's embrace.

“Why don't we play house again? This time, Albus can watch.”

Harry looked terrified for a moment until James saw his mistake and quickly amended it.

“It's all right, Harry. Albus is going to stay with you. He's going to watch us play house, all right?”

“Why Abus not pay?”

“Because I am going to be Albus,” James winked at Harry. The child laughed, eliciting a warm smile from James.

“I be 'Nerva,” proclaimed Harry.

“Excellent idea,” James said enthusiastically, “Now, where are the two babies?” he picked up the dolls and handed one to Harry.

“Would Albus allow this baby to play with the toys?” James asked, showing Harry the 'bad baby'.

Harry didn't respond for a while and James was about to rephrase the question when he nodded slightly.

“Yes, I think you are right, Harry,” he looked down at the doll he held.

“You are a good boy,” he told the doll, “You can play with the toys. They are for both of you.” The Healer cuddled the doll in his arms.

Harry watched him and a mixture of emotions played across his face. He then remembered that he was being Minerva and he spoke to the doll he held.

“You have to let otha baby pay with the toys, too,” he told the doll, “You ‘ave to share.”

James smiled at Harry, “I think these are wonderful little babies, aren't they, Minerva?”

“Yeah, vewy good babies,” agreed the toddler.

Albus gave them a round of applause.

“That was splendid!” his eyes twinkled merrily, “James, you did a good job of playing me. Apart from not eating sweets, of course.”

“Seets aw bad fow your teef,” Harry scolded. James suppressed a chuckle at the Headmaster's shocked expression.

“You really ARE a good Minerva, Harry!” Dumbledore said. Harry smiled and climbed into his lap. Dumbledore noted how tired he now looked, as he put his arms around him.

“Well, I think we shall leave it there,” said James, “Harry, perhaps I could come and play with you again soon? Would that be Ok?”

“Yeah,” Harry gave him a small smile.

“Albus I will need to speak to you before I leave,” the Healer stated.

“Why don't you join us for lunch, James. We can talk when the children are in bed.”

“Thanks, Albus. I'd love to,” James got up and followed Dumbledore to the table.

Chapter End Notes:
The quote about play therapy comes from “Child Care and Education” by Tina Bruce and Carolyn Meggott.