Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
DISCLAIMER: JKR owns all except Raven Dancer’s Healers Barnes.

So sorry that this took so long. I started a new job and moved house in the last few months (2 of the 5 most stressful things you can do in your life I’m told) so I have been very busy. I’m off work for Christmas now so I wanted to get back to the writing. Merry Christmas everyone.

Thanks, as always, to my beta, excessivelyperky.
Healing

Once Dumbledore had put Severus to bed he sat down with James and Minerva to have some lunch. He was keen to hear what the healer had to say about Harry’s play therapy session and Severus’s illness.

James caught his anxious look and smiled reassuringly.

“I’ll start with Severus, shall I?” he asked kindly.

Dumbledore nodded and returned the smile.

“Severus has a throat infection. I will leave you some medicines for you to give him and the directions. Apart from that, just let him rest and give him plenty of fluids. Keep him indoors for a couple of days. Sick children are not like sick adults. They tend to want to run around when they feel the slightest bit better. I gather our toddler Severus is every bit as stubborn as our adult version.

Albus and Minerva both laughed.

“He really is a lovely child. It is wonderful that he has you both to look after him. I will send Jeffrey round to check on his progress tomorrow. I would be reluctant to advise formal play therapy sessions until he is feeling better but it will give him a chance to get used to Jeffrey.”

"That sounds like a good idea,” McGonagall agreed.

“Now about Harry…”

“Forgive me James,” Albus said, “Perhaps we should first fill Minerva in on the session.”

James agreed and gave the Transfigurations teacher a concise account of what had happened.

“Those Muggles have a lot to answer for.” Minerva pursed her lips as if to hold back further comment.

“Indeed,” the elder Healer’s voice was solemn, “It is very difficult to watch one so young in so much pain but we can help him.”

“How?” asked Dumbledore, “I have tried everything I can think of. How do I know if I am doing things right or not?”

“Every parent asks themselves the same question,” James said, “There are no definite answers. We all make mistakes but the most important thing is that you let Harry know how important he is to you. I see very clearly that you have been doing that already. Look at how he ran to you when he was afraid, Albus. He trusts you to protect and love him. Just keep doing what you are doing, being a good parent.”

“He’s right, Albus,” agreed Minerva, “We are doing the best we can and I think it is helping. It won’t all mend itself straight away.”

“Exactly,” James smiled brightly at Professor McGonagall, “I will keep working with Harry and Jeffrey with Severus and we will make the short time they will spend as children a positive, healing time for them. We are all in this together.

The older healer’s positive attitude was infectious and they found themselves smiling and enjoying a relaxing lunch.


*****************************************

That evening found Albus, Severus and Harry sitting at the dinner table in the Headmaster’s rooms. Severus was sitting on Dumbledore’s lap as the old man gently coaxed some food into the sick child. Harry sat next to them in his highchair.

“Good boy, Severus,” Dumbledore praised the child in his arms, “Now, what about a little drink? Healer James
said you have to drink lots of juice, didn’t he?”

He held a cup of orange juice to the boy’s lips and he drank greedily.

“Seberus sick?” asked Harry, looking at the headmaster.

“Yes pet, he is,” answered Albus gently. He has a cold.”

“I kiss it better?” asked Harry remembering his aunt’s fussing over Dudley when he was hurt or ill. Dumbledore was touched by the boy’s thoughtfulness.

“That’s a lovely idea Harry but I’m afraid he needs medicine to make him better.”

Harry looked disappointed for a moment and then his face brightened again.

“Seberus be better later?” he asked.

“Yes, little one,” said Albus. He knew Harry was too young to have any real concept of time so any explanation of “In a few days”, would mean little to him.

Harry seemed happy with this answer and it was a few minutes before he spoke again.

“I pay kittich later?”

“You can play Quidditch tomorrow, Harry,” Dumbledore told him, “It’s much too dark now and time for little ones to be in bed.”

He noticed that Severus’s eyes were getting heavy. The food and medicines were making him drowsy.

“I pay kittich?” came the hoarse little voice and Severus looked up at him with big, pleading eyes.

“When you are better love,” Dumbledore murmured gently, stroking his cheek, “You look like you’ll be flying a broomstick off to dreamland any moment,” he smiled, holding the frail little boy like he was made of glass and rocking him gently. It was not long before Severus was asleep.

It was only then that Dumbledore looked up at Harry and noticed that the child had eaten less than half of the food on his plate. He berated himself for not paying more attention.

“Harry,” he said gently, “Could you eat some more of your dinner for me? You haven’t eaten enough for a growing boy.”

“Don’t want to,” Harry rubbed his eyes with the backs of his hands.

“Why don’t I put Severus to bed and then I’ll help you eat a little more, hmmm?”

“Ok,” said Harry softly, “I give Seberus kiss?”

Albus smiled warmly, “Of course, my boy,” he answered and brought the sleeping toddler closer to Harry. Severus received a half hug and a sloppy kiss but he id not stir, though Dumbledore could have sworn he smiled a little.

“Good lad,” Albus said to Harry, “I’ll be back in a minute.”

He reached out and ruffled Harry’s unruly black hair before standing carefully and carrying Severus into the bedroom. He laid him in the cot and tucked him in warmly. Putting a hand on the child’s forehead, he was pleased to note that his temperature had dropped to normal. Bending close he kissed the toddler and returned to the other room.

“All right Harry. Let’s see if we can finish this dinner.”

To his relief Harry ate almost everything on his plate. The boy had probably been too tired to finish it on his own. It had been a very long day for all of them.

Albus was worried that he had not been paying enough attention to Harry because of Severus’s illness. It was true that Severus clung to him much more than Harry did but he reminded himself that he could not allow himself to neglect the child. Harry had had enough of that treatment in his young life and even though it would be unintentional on Dumbledore’s part, it would be every bit as damaging.

With that in mind he prepared Harry for bed and settled down with him on his rocking chair, wrapping blankets around the little form.

“You have been very good today Harry,” he told the child, “I’m sorry I’ve been so busy looking after Severus and haven’t spent enough time with you, but I’m here now.”

Of course he knew that Harry would understand little of what he had said but it soothed him to say it and he hoped Harry could understand some of it, even if it just his tone and actions rather than his words.

“Would you like me to read you a story?” he asked the little boy.

Harry looked up at him with happy green eyes.

“Yeah,” he smiled. Albus was amazed at how the smallest acts of kindness could make his poor neglected children happy.

“All right,” he said as he held Harry closer, “Let’s see.”

He called a book of wizarding children’s tales towards him and selected a story. He had only read a few pages when he glanced down and saw that Harry was fast asleep in his arms.

******

The following morning professor McGonagall returned to help the headmaster with the two children. When they were washed and dressed she brought them over to the table. Harry sat in his highchair once more and ate some cereal. Severus however, was not at all happy and had no intention of sitting in his highchair or on Minerva’s lap for that matter.

“Want Abus!” he tried to wail, his voice so hoarse it was almost a whisper.

“I’m coming, I’m coming,” Dumbledore soothed as he used a spell to tidy his beard.

“Come here, my little crosspatch,” he said in tones of gentle amusement as he took Severus into his arms.

“He’s very warm again, Albus,” Minerva remarked.

“Yes he is,” said Dumbledore with a hand on the child’s forehead, “We’ll get you some more medicine after breakfast child,” he cooed as he swayed the fretting toddler.

Severus had very little appetite but he did eat some cereal before Dumbledore gave him medicine and juice.

This time Albus was more mindful of Harry even though McGonagall was looking after him. Caring for a child was a huge responsibility, he realised.

When Harry had eaten, the headmaster and deputy headmistress set up some blocks for them to play with. Severus was too ill to go outside so they decided to wait until he was asleep before one of them would take Harry out with his toy broom.

Minerva left Albus as she had some work in the school to attend to and Albus sat with the two children as they built with the blocks. They quickly realised that knocking them down was much more fun than building them up. Soon, Severus grew tired and reached his arms up to the headmaster. Dumbledore gave him more medicine and juice before tucking him into bed. He would get Minerva to watch him while he took Harry outside. It was a warm sunny day, perfect for the little boy to play Quidditch. He looked forward to the time when Severus would be well enough to join them.

Chapter End Notes:
Next chapter will include Harry’s Quidditch game and a discovery (only my beta knows :D) and Jeffrey’s first meeting with little Severus. I am looking forward to writing that J