Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

De-ageing Harry

Back in the headmaster's tower, Dumbledore tucked the sleeping Severus into his cot. McGonagall left to deal with some school business while Albus went to the fire to contact Remus Lupin. He wanted to discuss his idea regarding Harry with Sirius Black's last remaining friend. He knew how much the former Defence Against the Dark Arts professor cared about Harry.

*********************************************

"You want to de-age him?" Lupin stared at the headmaster in surprise, "Why?"

"Remus, think about it. Has Harry ever opened up to you and told you his feelings about what happened at the Ministry of Magic."

Lupin looked pained at the indirect reference to his friend's death.

"No," he finally answered.

"Nor has he shared his feelings with his friends or to me," responded Albus sadly, "He has had a very unhappy childhood. I take full responsibility for that. I should have checked on his progress more often. I wanted to keep him safe from Voldemort's supporters but in doing this, I left him with relatives who did not love or want him. That will always be one of my greatest regrets."

Remus merely stared at the old man, waiting for him to continue.

"I believe that, if we can give Harry a chance to be a child again, we can help him understand that he is loved and that we will help him deal with his feelings about his very tragic past. If he can learn to trust us and depend on us a little more, then it will have all been worthwhile."

"Do you think Harry will agree to this?" Lupin looked unsure.

"That I cannot say," answered Dumbledore. "But I rather hoped that you would help me to persuade him."

"I'll do my best," promised Lupin, "But I can't care for him, Albus. What about the full moon?"

"I will care for him, so will Minerva," explained Dumbledore, "You can come to visit him whenever you like."

"Thank you, Albus," Remus's golden eyes were soft. "Sirius would have liked the idea. At least Harry will get away from those Dursleys."

"Yes," the headmaster agreed, "And he will have a companion. Severus has already allowed me to give him the potion."

Dumbledore fervently wished that he had Colin Creevey's camera to catch the look on Remus Lupin's face.

****************************************************

That night, when Severus was in bed, Moody, Lupin and Tonks arrived in Dumbledore's office with a slightly confused Harry Potter. When the Aurors left to return to their Order duties, only Lupin and McGonagall remained with Dumbledore.

"Ah, Harry. I'm glad you could come." Albus smiled gently.

"Of course, Professor," said Harry quietly.

"Sit down, sit down." Dumbledore directed them to the comfortable chairs in front of his desk.

"Now, Harry, I have something very important to discuss with you," the headmaster began, "First of all, however, how are you?" He gave the boy one of his penetrating stares.

"Fine," Harry answered unconvincingly.

Dumbledore surveyed him. He looked thinner and more pale than before. There were dark circles under his eyes, indicating a lack of sleep.

"Harry, you know that we are here to help you." Lupin put a hand on the boy's shoulder.

"Er, yes." Harry looked uncomfortable.

"How would you like to leave the Dursleys for the summer Harry? " Dumbledore suddenly asked.

"Very much," said Harry looking slightly hopeful, "Do you mean that I could stay with Ron?" "No, that is not what I mean." Albus leaned across his desk and placed a hand on the young man's other shoulder.

Harry was even more confused.

"What I mean, Harry, is that I want you to stay here with me."

"But sir, don't you have work to do? I would only be in the way."

Harry's anger had been replaced by despair. He blamed himself for so much and he did not want to be a burden on anyone else. Dumbledore was a good Legilimens and read these feelings easily in the boy.

"Harry. Look at me." Harry raised his eyes back to those kind blue ones.

"You are not a burden on us. You have shown more courage and done more to help our world than any grown wizard. It is your time with the Dursleys that has made you think the way you do. I am truly sorry I left you with them. I want to make it up to you. I want to give you a chance at the childhood you deserved. At least for a little while."

Harry was truly baffled now. What was going on?

"Forgive me, Harry." smiled Dumbledore, his eyes twinkling once more. "It is the habit of the old to start in the middle without making themselves clear. I want you to consider taking a de-ageing potion, which will bring you back to the age of two-and-a-half."

"What?" exclaimed Harry. "Are you mad?"

"Harry!" said Remus in a gentle warning.

"I realise that it may sound mad to you now," Dumbledore was not surprised at Harry's reactions, "Let me explain a little more. What do you remember of being a young child?"

"Being locked in a cupboard, pushed around by Dudley, not allowed any toys and told I was a freak. Anything else you want to know!" The bitter anger was back in Harry's tone.

"Mr Potter!" Professor McGonagall looked shocked. "Don't speak to the headmaster that way." "He has a right to be angry,) Minerva," said Dumbledore softly. He turned back to the boy who was trying his best to calm down.

"You see Harry? This is why I want to give you the potion. I want to change your experience of being a young child. Also, it would allow you to stay here and forget, for a while, your life with the Dursleys."

"What about Voldemort?" asked Harry. "He will be very quiet until his Death Eaters are released from Azkaban. He is not in a position to cause us any trouble at present," the old headmaster said calmly.

"Who would be looking after me?" asked Harry after a while.

"I would," Dumbledore told him. "Remus, Hagrid and Professor McGonagall would be there to help me."

"You don't have to decide right now Harry, but it would be better if we started this evening when the potion is most effective," Remus said gently.

"May I go for a walk and think about it?" Harry needed time to think.

"Certainly," smiled Albus, "Come back to my office whenever you are ready."

Harry got up and left.

"Well that went better than expected," Albus looked pleased.

Lupin raised an eyebrow. "Why didn't you tell him about his playmate?"

"I did not think it would have been a good way to convince him. I think they will get on much better as children. Maybe it will help to break the ice between them."

"Harry's right. You are mad," grinned Lupin.

"So it is said," answered the old man serenely, popping a sweet into his mouth.

****************************************************

About two hours later, Harry returned to the Headmaster's tower. He had thought long and hard about the suggestion and had finally come to a decision. He wanted to tell them so he could not change his mind again.

"Hello Harry," said Remus brightly, "Did the walk help?"

"Yes it did," he answered. "Hello Mr Potter," Professor McGonagall patted his shoulder, "You look a little better than earlier. Did you eat?" "Dobby didn't give me a choice about that," the boy finally smiled, causing them all to laugh.

"Well, my boy. Did you come to a decision?" Dumbledore tried to keep the anxiety from his voice.

"I'll do it," said Harry quickly, "Can you give it to me now before I have a chance to change my mind."

"Of course, dear boy," beamed Albus, "Here you go. I promise that you won't regret it. We do have an antidote should we need it," he reassured him.

Harry took a couple of deep breaths and then gulped down the potion in one go.

Just as Severus had done, Harry slumped in his chair, shutting his eyes. They watched as the yellow light surrounded him and soon, a little boy was sitting in front of them. He opened his large green eyes and looked around. Harry's mind was a blur.

What was going on? Where were Uncle Vernon and Aunt 'Tunia? They would be very cross if they knew he had left the house. He was not allowed to go outside and play. "Harry?" a gentle voice said and he looked up into a pair of concerned blue eyes. A memory flashed through the young child's mind. He had seen this old man before. He visited Mummy and Daddy sometimes. An image, long forgotten of a red haired woman with green eyes, swam before him. He searched the room for her but could not see her.

"Ma," he managed to stammer out.

Remus covered his face with his hands, trying to control his grief and McGonagall dabbed her eyes with a handkerchief. Dumbledore, however, never took his eyes from those frightened emerald ones.

"Your Mummy has gone, little one. I am Albus? Do you remember me? I am going to look after you instead of Vernon and Petunia."

At the mention of those names, Harry shrunk back. "It is all right child," Albus soothed him, "They are not here, just Minerva, Remus and me."

Harry looked around and saw an even more familiar person. "Mooney?" he asked, it had been his first word. Remus took Harry in his arms and cuddled him.

"Yes I'm here Harry," he said hoarsely, his eyes full of emotion, "I'll come and see you a lot. All right?"

"Ok," said Harry.

Remus kissed him on the forehead and handed him to Albus.

"Well, my boy. Do you think you'd like to stay here?"

"Yeah," said Harry and he watched the nice lady smile and come over to him.

"Hello pet," she said gently, "I'm Minerva. I am going to look after you too and I have some toys for you to play with."

Harry looked fearful, "I not 'lowed," he whispered, "I bad."

"No Harry," Albus pulled him closer, "You are allowed toys when you are with us because you deserve them. You are a very good boy," he kept his eyes on the child's to let him know that he meant it. Harry yawned and hid his face in Dumbledore's neck. It had been a long day for him.

"I think it is bedtime for you child," smiled the headmaster, "Let me show you your new bed."

With that, he bade farewell to the others, who smiled and waved at Harry, and brought the baby into the bedroom. Severus was sleeping soundly in the other cot. Tomorrow they would meet.

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks to my beta excessivelyperky