Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:

DISCLAIMER: JKR owns all.

Thanks, as always, to my beta, excessivelyperky.

Talks and Walks

When the children had gone, Dumbledore summonsed Madam Pomfrey to his office. She smiled as she sat down and took the proffered cup of tea.

"Well, Headmaster. How is fatherhood treating you?"

Albus returned her smile. "I can honestly say, it is a whole new experience." His face then turned grave, "There are a few problems, however. That is why I wanted to speak with you. I need you to tell me a little more about the de-ageing potion."

"Of course," answered Poppy, "What do you want to know?"

"Well, first of all, why did you think it better to make the children two- and-a-half rather than three, or even four?"

The nurse took a sip of tea before she spoke. "I had a good reason for doing that, Headmaster. A child's brain develops rapidly in the first three years of life. By the time the child reaches three, all the main brain development has occurred. While Severus and Harry are experience better childhoods, new pathways are being created in their brains."

"What about the old ones?" asked Albus.

"They remain. They cannot be removed, but they should be able to co-exist without causing harm to the new ones. The potion is very carefully designed to ensure this. Every week, each child will age by one month. By the time the holidays end, they will be three, and can be aged, if you like."

"I see," answered Dumbledore, "And is it better to age them at three because it won't interfere with their brain development?"

Madam Pomfrey nodded, "However, should an emergency arise before the holidays are over, making ageing necessary, the antidote will cause rapid, but controlled, brain development to make the process safe. It is preferable that the potion wears off gradually though."

"Yes, that makes sense," Dumbledore steepled his fingers together on his desk. "I have noticed something else, which concerns me." He explained the memory dreams that both children had experienced.

"Yes, that is to be expected," said Poppy when he was finished, "The de- ageing potion, as you probably know, does not erase the memories of the person. Otherwise, we would never be able to restore people to their correct ages. It merely suppresses the adult mind and memories. Those memories, which are associated with strong emotions, cannot be completely suppressed, however. The person generally sees these memories in the form of dreams or visions. It is a way of letting the younger mind cope with them. "

"But is that not rather dangerous? Surely it would be traumatic for a child to remember something he does not understand."

"It would be, if that were the case," Pomfrey agreed, "The fact is, though, that when Harry and Severus experience these dreams, their older minds are allowed to take over, enabling them to understand what is happening. This insight can last for a little while after the memory has played out."

"That explains why they were able to explain the dreams to me without too much trouble," mused Albus, "Severus was very clear when he explained his mother's death this morning."

A sorrowful look crossed the nurse's face and she sighed. "All you can do is be there for the boys and give them lots of support, love and most of all, attention. A lot of guilt will be associated with these traumatic memories. You need to reassure them that they are not to blame for the events they recall."

"Attention is the other problem," sighed Dumbledore, "I do not think I have done well in that area, thus far."

"It is difficult with children that age. They are naturally autonomous and believe that the adult should be there for them, alone," said Madam Pomfrey.

"My main problem is trying to ensure that I do not neglect Harry, because he does not demand my attention as much as Severus does," Albus stroked his hand through his beard thoughtfully.

"What you need to do, is to give each child time alone with you. Minerva and Remus are there to help. I think you have been trying to do too much on your own, Headmaster." She had not missed the lines of worry on the old man's face.

"I feel very responsible for their suffering," Dumbledore admitted, "I want to give them as much of my time as possible."

"Giving each child enough of your time is important, but the quality of that time, which matters most of all," Poppy answered, "If you are tired and rundown, you may do more harm than good. Why not let Remus take Harry for a day, while you care for Severus? You could leave Severus with Minerva while you look after Harry."

"That is a good idea," Dumbledore's blue eyes twinkled with relief, "I suppose I was getting a little ahead of myself. Thank Merlin I have you and Minerva to keep me on the right track."

"Lastly, Headmaster," Pomfrey folded her arms and gave him her strict, school nurse look, "have some of the others look after both children, when you are too tired or under stress. I know you still have your Order meetings. Don't spread yourself too thin."

"Yes, certainly, Poppy," said Albus, with the air of a little boy who had been scolded.

"Good," Madam Pomfrey said and rose from her seat, "Remember to contact me if you need anything else. Oh and..," she turned around again to look at Dumbledore, "I am very curious about what Severus is like as a child."

"He is a credit to his house," the old man chuckled, "He can cause all amounts of mayhem and then melt your heart with an angelic smile."

Let's hope he can keep that smile when he is aged," smiled Pomfrey.

"Indeed," Albus couldn't have agreed more.

*******************************************************************

Minerva McGonagall had never had so much exercise in her life. Not that she was lazy, by no means, but she had only one grandson and had never before cared for two toddlers.

The minute they had reached the park in Hogsmeade, the two children had practically jumped out of the pushchair. Minerva was barely given time to unstrap them.

"TEE-TAW!" Harry laughed, remembering the see-saw that Dudley and his friends played on, in the park near his home in Little Whinging.

"Yes," beamed McGonagall, "Come on, you too, and let's have a go, hmm?"

The see-saw was charmed so that the children could not fall off the seats. They held onto the handles and squealed with delight.

Minerva was very happy to see that Harry trusted her more. He was talking a little more and seemed at ease in the park. The boy seemed to realise that she would not stop him from playing.

The attention span of two-year-olds being what it was, however, it was not long before Harry and Severus became bored and looked for something else to do.

"What about the swings?" suggested McGonagall, and they agreed.

Soon she was pushing them high in the air as they laughed.

Next came the slide (which Minerva did not use) and then the climbing frame. Harry was exceptionally good on this. Little did his Professor know that his expertise in this area had been gained by trying to dodge Dudley and his gang.

After a time, Minerva looked at her watch and realised that they had been away for almost two hours. She called the children over. She needed to get them back to the school and find out what Madame Pomfrey had told Albus.

Severus trotted obediently over to her. He was getting tired and did not complain as she strapped him into the pushchair.

"Now, where is Harry?" she wondered, looking around the park.

******************************************************************

Harry had been playing in the sand when he spotted a large black dog crossing the path towards him.

He jumped up and smiled. He recognised the creature.

"PA'FOOT" he called and trotted over to hug the animal.

He heard Minerva calling him, but he was too happy to see Padfoot to listen.

*******************************************************************

Minerva looked up just in time to see the large dog pounce at Harry.