Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
I have plenty more written, and therefore I decided to update early! Thanks, as always, to my wonderful beta Ash.
Harry's Speech

In about six hours, Harry would wish he hadn't gotten out of bed on the Tuesday morning a little over a week after his sleepover with Jack. He woke feeling anxious, but it was nothing compared to what he would feel much later.

It was the day of the family event at school, and he still had to add to his speech. Harry was scared of standing in front of all those people – a crowd made of the family members of his classmates, whereas none of his own would be there to offer their support and be proud of their son.

He put his socks on inside-out, and forgot to lace his shoes, which he didn't realise until after he'd tripped over them twice. Sitting on the floor of his bedroom, Harry wanted to hide under his bed until the day was over. He knew Severus would never allow it. All last night he had lied by saying school was closed for the day, and then when that didn't work Harry had even pretended to be sick.

Nothing worked.

Harry had no choice, not after Severus warned him that he would drag the boy to school in his pajamas if he had to.

Not wanting to face more humiliation than he was due, Harry dressed himself (though a bit sloppily) and used the bathroom. He dragged himself downstairs for breakfast and was hardly able to swallow more than a few mouthfuls of his porridge. Putting his bowl on the floor for Frogabook to eat the rest of it under Severus' disproving glare, Harry returned to his room to gather his schoolbag. He didn't care about being late as he took his time and tried to ignore Severus' insisting for him to hurry up.

Before the man had been so intimidating and scary, even if Harry knew Severus wanted to help and protect him; however, over the time he'd spent with the man, Harry had adapted and become a little less on edge in regards to his guardian. He never wanted to make Severus mad and still feared he couldn't stay with him for long, but Harry was certainly far more comfortable and accustomed than he had been when he'd first arrived.

The boy barely said a word on the walk to school, keeping his head bent low to watch the ground under his feet. The only time he really said anything was when they reached the gates and Harry made sure he gave Severus a big farewell. The boy was convinced he would not survive the day ahead. And for a moment, standing there at the gates as the bell rang, Harry almost shouted his pleas for Severus to be there at the family event that afternoon.

Except, it was too late; Severus had already walked some distance away, and all the chairs for the event were booked.

Making a shuffling sound with his feet as he walked, Harry made his way to his classroom with his entire mood made of dread and nervousness. He sat in his usual seat and didn't lift his gaze to the board when the lesson began. The boy had no idea what they were learning about and didn't take any notes. He had taken out his speech instead because he really needed to finish it. Harry only had a few hours to make it passable and it was heavily grating on his nerves because he couldn't seem to find the right words. It was hard for him to talk about himself because for at least three years he had thought himself to be invisible, to the point that he hardly even knew himself.

As the lunch bell rang, Harry followed the other kids outside and sat on the grass under a tree. He used a seat for his table, as well as a thick science book, and continued his work in a fretful manner.

'Wanna play basketball?' Jack offered.

'No.' Harry replied without halting his attempts to get his speech finished.

'How about tag?' Jack tried again.

'No, Jack.' Harry frowned. 'I have to get this stupid speech done.'

'Don't worry about it.' Jack rolled his eyes. 'Come play a game, Harry.' He urged.

'I don't want to.' Harry grumbled. 'Let me finish this, okay? I have to!'

'Harry-'

'Jack, go away!' Harry snapped, his stress levels already high and Jack was seen only as an interruption.

In his mind, if he did not finish the speech soon then his teacher would fail him and Harry was already scared his family tree was far too empty for him to pass the assignment. What would Severus think of him if he failed? Would he think Harry was just a worthless kid no one could love, just like Simon always told him? Shuddering at the thought, Harry gave Jack an angry glare and returned to his task.

'Fine!' Jack snapped back, annoyed that Harry would rather write the silly speech instead of play with him. 'I'll go find someone else.' He grumbled and stomped off, searching the playground for another one of their classmates who he could play with.

Harry barely even noticed, as he erased another line of words and bit his lip. If he didn't finish his speech soon, Harry was convinced it would all be over and he'd go back to being the invisible boy with people who weren't his family, not even a little.

--

By early afternoon, Jack was avoiding Harry and often shot the boy a frown of annoyance when it was clear the darker-haired boy was also ignoring him. Harry had finished his speech and now spent most of his time fussing over his family tree. No matter how hard he tried, Harry simply could not add to it without making something up. The idea of making up a family just for himself sounded fun, but was worried someone would know he was lying.

Defeated, Harry slumped back in his seat and looked around the room. Jack was furiously attacking his book with his pencil – scribbling marks on it and drawing pictures of what looked like rockets. The rest of their classmates were in groups and chatting about the coming event in excitement. Their teacher, Mrs Kline, was at the front of the room working out the order the students would give their speeches and show their family trees.

As it was nearly one, Mrs Kline led the class to the main hall where the parents and other family members were already standing around and locating their assigned seats. Harry halted by the doorway with an icy feeling spreading through his neck, as he realised he would have to stand up on the stage at the podium to give his speech.

Whimpering, Harry ducked his head again and hurried after the rest of his classmates. He considered running away and hiding in the toilets until it was over, but was too scared of the additional consequences. And Severus would hear about it, which Harry was even more fearful of.

Mrs Kline began to line the kids up in the order they would be speaking. Harry wasn't sure how he felt about being near the end of the line, towards the back. He wasn't the last but it would take a little while before it would be his turn. After a couple of minutes of sitting on the floor and waiting, Harry felt envious of Jack because he would be going fourth.

The waiting felt like it was worse than standing up there and staring at everyone, Harry thought, as he shifted on the floor and couldn't seem to get comfortable. He looked down at the paper in his hand and read-over the speech to pass the time. Underneath it was his family tree, which he was also supposed to talk about. His nerves continued to build when he heard the crowd cheering or talking. Harry didn't want his turn to ever come. He was anxious enough to have to talk in front of a huge group of adults, but also sad because he knew none of them were there for him.

'Cody Evans!' Mrs Kline called him.

Harry gasped and looked up quickly.

He got to his feet and clutched his papers with his shaking hands. Slowly walking towards the stage, Harry wondered if his feet would fall under him. Determined not to fall down, he inched closer to the curtain and gripped it, peering cautiously around it to look at the crowd. A mass of family members overwhelmed him, and if it hadn't been for the nudge from Mrs Kline, Harry did not think he would have ever had the courage to step onto the lit stage.

Walking frantically to the podium, Harry took the short steps behind it one at a time. He was able to see over the podium and put his papers in front of him. Looking towards the microphone, he hesitated and paled further.

'I...' Harry gulped and tried to speak, but couldn't. Lowering his emerald gaze towards his paper, he tried to ignore the way his insides twisted uncomfortably.

'Go on.' Mrs Kline's encouraging whispers where heard to his far left.

Harry shivered and looked at the crowd again. Many mums, dads, and siblings were staring up at him, waiting for him to begin. He spotted Jack's parents giving him a slight smile each and it spurred him to try and talk again.

'I...I'm Cody Evans.' Harry was glad there was a microphone because without it he wouldn't have heard his own voice. Gulping, he stared at his written speech and forced himself to get the entirely horrible ordeal over. 'I didn't always live here. I had a family once, at another place, back when I was a baby. My name was Harry then.' He exhaled and continued.

'I had a mum and dad back when I was Harry. I like to think they loved me lots and lots. But they died, and all I remember of them is a flash of light.' He swallowed and didn't look up in fear of losing his nerve again.

'I'm supposed to tell you about myself, but I don't really know.' Harry admitted. 'Before I came here, I never had any friends. Now I have Jack.' He didn't search for his friend, worrying Jack was angry at him and didn't want to be his friend anymore. 'He helped me see that I like pancakes, and my favourite animal is a lion. I like green or black, and one day I would really like to see China.' He lifted his chin a little, though still anxious.

'I'm a bit scared of being up high, but I think it would be really cool to fly.' He swallowed and paused, lifting his family tree to look at it. 'My family tree is really small, so I'm sorry about that.' Harry gulped again and fidgeted, still wanting to run away and hide somewhere until it ended.

'I've been adopted a few times.' Harry sighed. 'After my mum and dad died, I was adopted by a lady named Erin Summers. She was so nice and I think she loved me. I don't remember much, except her face and smile, but I know I loved her too. She was my mum, and I miss her a lot.' He sniffed at the memory. 'I don't know why, but I wasn't allowed to stay with her and my name was changed. I didn't like being Cody at first, but now I guess it's sort of okay. As long as my mum can find me again.' He lowered his gaze and paused, hoping he could keep it together a bit longer.

'I don't know who my first mum and dad were, but Erin is my mum. That's why I put her on my family tree.' Harry explained. 'And next I put my best friend, Jack, as my brother. I know we're not related at all, but I don't think family is just about that. He's my best friend and I don't ever wanna lose him. He's like a brother to me, and I think it's what makes him my brother, not the other stuff.' He glanced up again and offered Jack's parents a shy smile as they seemed happy by what he had said. Many of the other parents were also paying attention, though the sadness he saw in their faces caused Harry to look away.

'Because I think family is more than just being related, I think pets should be important too. I think anyone we love should be called our family, because family is supposed to be special and who we feel safe or happy with.' He exhaled and bit his lip, trying to ignore the attention he knew was directed solely at him. 'I don't know what to put him under, so I just changed one to fit my pet. Frogabook is my frog, and I think he should be on my family tree too because I love him and he's never known that before, just like me.'

His words got an abrupt reaction.

Suddenly, the quieting hall and backstage (where the other kids were still waiting for their turn), was filled with laughter. Many thought his words had been amusing and entertaining, but Harry did not see it as being nice. All he saw and heard was everyone laughing because of what he'd said. He shrank away from the assumption that they were all laughing at him.

Retreating back a step, staring around at the faces of everyone in the crowd, Harry felt to be on the verge of tears. He thought he was doing so well, and then they all had to be mean by laughing at him like he was doing something stupid. His eyes brimming with tears, Harry prepared to snatch his papers and run away as he had wanted to since the moment he had arrived at the school gates that morning.

And then, a split second before he planned to make his move, Harry scanned the crowd and locked his gaze on another. A darker gaze surrounded by black hair. Severus! The seven-year-old was startled and rooted to the spot as he stared at his hero, who was sitting amongst the crowd and wasn't laughing at all. His arms were crossed over his black shirt and his gaze was aimed towards the particularly loud man beside him, who was chuckling into his hand. Severus did not approve of the laughter and Harry felt a relief wash over him.

Stepping back up to the podium, Harry swallowed and waited for the noise to quiet down again. When he was ready to continue, Harry looked towards his hero and was surprised when the man stared back and offered a small smile to show his support. Harry hadn't seen the man smile like that before, though it was still not a grin of joy. It boosted his spirits considerably as Harry came to terms with the fact he had been so wrong. Someone did come to see only him, and to support him like a family member should. He didn't care how Severus knew it was happening today, but he was immeasurably glad to see him there.

'The last person on my family tree...' Harry was nervous about how Severus might react, but his insides felt like they were burning with courage at that moment and motivated him to continue in a louder, far clearer voice.

'For a long time I didn't know where to put him.' Harry said. 'When I stayed with some not-so-nice people, he saved me. He's my hero. And he looks after me even when he doesn't have to. When I was sick, he helped me get better. When I was scared, he taught me how to be brave. If I had trouble with something, he would help me. This person does everything I think family should do, and more. But I don't know what to call him, or at least I didn't until now.' Harry cleared his throat.

'His name is Severus Snape and I...I had to put him on my family tree. It would be wrong not to, because I think of him as my...as my dad.' Harry could not look up at that moment, unaware of the shocked reaction he had stirred in Severus.

'Is that your son?' A woman beside him asked.

'I...' Severus glanced at her and then looked back at the boy who had just told the entire room of parents and students that Severus Snape was his father. Or at least the boy thought that highly of him and gave him the title on his family tree. 'Yes.' He smirked a little in answer to the woman's question. 'He is my son.'

'I may not get to live with him forever,' Harry continued. 'But even if I get a dad like him for a little while, I think I'll be okay. I really don't know what else to say, because I still have a lot to learn about myself and my family tree is still really small. Sometimes you don't have to know a lot or have a lot to be happy and safe. I only have one best friend, one new mum and dad, and one frog...but I've never been happier. Thank you for listening.' Harry stumbled off the podium and hurried off the stage.

He was supposed to sit on the floor with his classmates, but instead searched for Severus amongst the families. It was time for another break before the last of the students said their speeches, so the adults were standing and moving along the isle in the middle of the two sections of chairs.

Harry stood on his tip-toes to try and find Severus, yet it wasn't his new father who he found.

'Mum?' Harry whispered.

He saw her, though for a split second, and could not believe what he had seen. It was Erin, just as he remembered her, turning to walk away from where she had been standing at the back of all the chairs. Excitement and hope filled him, until a second later Harry's entire young form was seized with pure panic. The mass of adults began to cloud his vision of where she had walked away...he might lose her again.

'MUM!' Harry yelled and ran forward.

He shoved around people and dodged others, trying to make his way through the crowd. It was like swimming against the current of a thick, murky river. He pushed and squeezed around everyone, until Harry dropped to his knees and crawled under their legs instead. Ignoring the shriek of a woman, Harry escaped the group and hurried to the door. He burst into the hallway and looked around wildly for his mother.

Erin was gone...if she'd even been there.

 


It was later that afternoon, and Harry was curled up under the sheets of his bed though he was still clothed in his school uniform. He had not said a word since freaking out and sobbing for the mother he thought he had reclaimed. She had gone again and Harry didn't understand any of it. Jack had found him and rushed to get Severus, who scooped him up right away and told Jack to tell their teacher he was taking his “ill” son home.

Harry had been angry to leave the school, thinking Erin was still there somewhere. He was just too emotionally exhausted to fight Severus and only regained any ounce of energy when they arrived home. Jumping over Frogabook, Harry had stormed up to his room, slammed the door, and dove under his covers to sob his heart out against his pillow.

The seven-year-old wasn't sure how long he lay there until he couldn't cry anymore. Sniffling, he sat up and wiped his eyes with his hands. Harry was so sure it was his mother who he'd seen at the school, until he began to worry and doubt. If it was Erin...why hadn't she waited so he could greet her? Why did she leave when he noticed her? Either he had been imagining things, or Erin...

'Cody?'

Harry looked up and saw Jack standing nervously in the doorway of his room. He hadn't heard any sounds from downstairs as he'd been too wrapped in his emotional state. Unable to trust his voice to sound strong enough, Harry merely waved and looked away when he remembered the disagreement he'd had with Jack earlier.

'I'm sorry about before.' Jack looked at his feet shyly. 'I just wanted to play a game with you, but you were too busy writing that speech. I didn't know it was so important to you.' He shrugged.

'No, I'm sorry.' Harry croaked a little as he slid off his bed and approached his best friend. 'I got mad at you when I shouldn't have.' He was ashamed and tried to apologise. Jack gave him a smile and the two friends seemed to have resolved their first real conflict.

'Are you okay now?' Jack wondered as he looked at Harry's sad face. 'Mum let me come by to see if you were alright. Did you really see your mum?'

'I...think so.' Harry said without answering the first question because he didn't know if he'd ever be okay again. 'It looked like her, but if it was Erin then...why did she leave?' His vision clouded with the rebuilding of tears in his eyes, which he furiously wiped away. 'Thanks for coming over.' He added.

Jack shrugged and tilted his head backwards to see behind himself when a shadow cast over the boys. It was Severus, who told Jack his mother was waiting outside. The man then left, not even looking at Harry, which made the dark-haired boy feel even more uncomfortable.

'Well, I gotta go.' Jack huffed with annoyance, thinking his mother didn't understand that he shouldn't leave until he knew Harry was going to be happy again.

'Okay.' Harry sighed. 'Thanks again, and bye Jack.' Harry nodded and followed his friend down the stairs.

He stood miserably in the doorway to wave goodbye, and then watched the car drive away. Once the dark and gloomy-looking street was empty once again, Harry shut the door and turned around.

'Why didn't you help me find my mum?' Harry frowned at Severus, who stood near a small study desk by a window. 'She was right there – and you took me away!'

'Mind your tone, boy.' Severus frowned at the child. 'If Erin had indeed been there, then why did she not approach you? I was under the assumption it is her mission in which to find you. Unless, of course, you did not truly see her at all.'

'But...you didn't even try to check.' Harry sniffled again and inched away from the disapproving frown on the man's face. 'I'm sure it was her.'

'My priority was not to chase a woman in the crowd who may not be who you perceived her to be. Did you expect me to simply leave you curled up on the floor whilst you were in such an emotional state, where you might be trodden on or worse?'

'I know it was her!' Harry snapped, too angry and hurt to realise he was shouting at his hero, the one who had done more for him than anyone else in the past few years. 'And now she's gone again.'

'Perhaps.' Severus exhaled, feeling mentally exhausted as he never liked dealing with emotional kids because it turned them bratty and annoying most of the time. And it was even worse when he had no idea how to fix the situation. And so, he sent Harry upstairs to bathe and return for dinner, which was prepared by the time the child emerged in his slightly tattered pajamas.

The meal was mostly silent, until Harry pushed his almost-empty plate away and fidgeted in his seat.

'Thank you.' He said in a low, embarrassed whisper. 'You came today and I don't think I could have given that stupid speech if you hadn't.' Harry glanced up with bright green eyes of gratitude. 'And I'm sorry I yelled at you.'

'You are forgiven.' Severus replied. 'And it was your friend, Jack, who informed me of the event. The very event you failed to mention.' He said sternly, causing Harry to look away again with shame.

'I was scared you'd say no. Or...or think my speech was stupid.' Harry admitted and squirmed in his seat again, wanting to leave the table and hide in his room.

'Your speech was certainly satisfactory.' Severus wasn't sure how to handle the situation and didn't want to seem as though he was insulting the boy, which was a hard habit to break because he was rarely nice to someone just for the sake of it. There was still one matter to deal with, such as the title in which Harry had given him, and yet Severus decided not to mention it for now. The boy needed plenty of rest to calm himself down and hopefully overcome some of the drama that had taken place.

Harry did not have similar intents, however.

'Did you like my family tree?' Harry asked in a timid tone. 'I...I didn't know where to put you on it, but you're family to me so...I thought real hard about it, and you're a lot like a dad and you're the closest I've ever really had to one.' Harry didn't think he could have done such a thing if he'd known Severus was coming, and still he was glad the man had showed up and supported him. He felt a little worse for being annoyed with Jack earlier, after his best friend had done so much for him without Harry realising it.

'When you arrived here due to a most unfortunate circumstance, I informed you that this situation will be entirely temporary.' Severus reminded the boy. 'Perhaps the fault is mine, for allowing you to remain here for such a length of time, and thus, bringing about the rather inevitable attachment. Given the situation, it would be quite improper to consider myself as your father.'

Harry said nothing as he ducked his head and tried to grip the emotions swirling inside him. He didn't like being reminded of the horrible truth that this was not his home and one day he would have to leave. He was also terrified that his speech had caused Severus to want him hone faster, because he was becoming attached.

'Unless, of course, we were to alter the situation.'

'What?' Harry looked up quickly, causing a tear to slip down his face from the jerked movement. 'What do you mean?'

'You have been to multiple homes, and yet here you are without a proper guardian or a residence in which to call your home.' Severus said carefully. 'Since you have begun to establish such here, perhaps it would be wise to make it a permanent situation? If you reside under my care, I can ensure your safety and provide you with the stable upbringing every child requires. Early this morning, I finalised the paperwork in order to adopt you as my son.'

'A-adopt me?' Harry gasped, his eyes wide with shock and shining hope. He put his fingers in his ears to clean them, making sure he had heard correctly and not imagined it. 'I...I would have a father, for real? I would be someone's son?'

'Indeed.' Severus nodded. 'There is the possibility you may, upon leaving here, find a far more suitable and wholesome family in which to call your own. It is a profound gamble in which I was not willing to take. You're a child who requires guidance and proper care. I see no reason to uproot you from the comfortable situation you are currently in, and therefore acted with your best interest in mind.'

'So...' Harry frowned as he tried to work out what was being said, but Severus spoke with so many big words and serious topics that it confused him for a moment. 'You're going to be my dad, and I'm gonna be your son?'

'Unofficially, until the court signs the papers.' Severus answered. 'And then, yes.'

'I've got a dad!' Harry leapt up from his chair and practically flew around the table to jump at Severus. He hugged the alarmed man with all his might, tears streaming down his eyes as his biggest dream had come true.

He had a family now.

A family who wanted him, who loved him enough to care about him, and it was his most favourite person in the world who gave it to him! His hero saved him from mean people, and given him a place to stay...now Severus was his new dad too! Harry didn't know what he had done to deserve it, but the seven-year-old could not remember being happier than he was at that moment.

And as he hugged, cried, and cheered all at once, Severus rubbed the boy's back and managed a smile of his own. If he hadn't made the choice to adopt the boy several weeks ago, hearing Harry's speech that day would have brought it about anyway.

It started out with Cody Evans being a boy Severus wanted to save from a life that would lead the innocent child down a dark path, as it had Severus, and in ways he had not expected or been prepared for...slowly, somehow, he formed a fondness of the seven-year-old and wanted to be there to see him grow up. Before long, Severus feared losing the child and giving him over to someone else.

Adopting Cody was the most logical solution to the situation. He'd already begun to think of the child as his son, and therefore saying goodbye to Cody would surely feel as though someone had robbed him of his own son.

--

The shock and joy Harry felt that night continued through his dreams, until the boy woke the following morning with a smile still on his face.

Jumping out of bed, Harry rushed to the bathroom and climbed up onto a small stool so he could stare into the mirror. He wanted to see what he looked like, now he was no longer invisible or unnoticed. Imagining his appearance becoming clearer and more noticeable, Harry giggled and pulled a faces at his reflection, which of course played them back to him.

'I'm a son now.' Harry told his reflection. 'That means I get to stay here forever because it's my home. I have a dad.' He frowned. 'A father? A daddy?' Harry realised he had an important decision to make with what to call his hero. And he was excited to get to school so he could tell Jack the great news.

He wanted to stand on the tallest building and shout it out to the world, that he had a dad!

Pushing his dark hair from his face, Harry wondered if he should grow it long so he'd look more like his new dad and everyone will know he's his son. His thoughts were interrupted when he noticed his forehead. He'd always had the lightning-bolt scar on his head from when his first parents had died. Sometimes Harry forgot about it because it was almost always hidden by his hair now. And with a handful of hair brushed aside, it was in clear sight – or it should be. Harry always thought scars were forever, but his had began to fade somehow. It never did that for as long as he could remember, and yet as he traced the line with his finger, Harry could almost not see it at all.

How did that happen?

'Maybe my magic did it.' Harry let his hair fall back over it. 'Cuz I'm magic, just like my dad. I have a dad. My dad-'

'-Is wondering why you are conversing with the bathroom mirror rather than getting dressed for school.' Came the stern voice behind him, which made Harry jump and spin around with a blush creeping on his cheeks.

'Sorry.' Harry smiled sheepishly and climbed down from the stool. 'Good morning, daddy.' He beamed up at the man as he hurried to give him a big hug.

Severus' eyebrow twitched at the name he thought was reserved only for toddlers. He accepted the hug and didn't comment on the title for now, not realising that his failure to prevent it at that precise moment was what would make it stick. He returned the greeting and instructed the boy to get ready for school. Watching the seven-year-old skip off to his room, Severus shook his head with amusement as he did not think someone could be so cheery over something he deemed purely practical.

The fact he was pleased to have a son of his own, and that son being a child he was proud to call so, was something Severus kept closely guarded in his own mind. If anyone questioned his motives, he would tell them with a serious expression and tone that he did it only because the situation was “necessary” and “already beneficial to Cody's well-being”, and he would put in his best effort to divert the person away from his selfish desire for a son, and to never lose the bright boy he had saved and promised he would always protect.

'I'm dressed, daddy.' Harry emerged from his room in his school uniform, which looked to be put on in a rush. 'Do I have time for breakfast, daddy?'

'Yes.' Severus narrowed his eyes when Harry hurried by him to see what he had to eat for breakfast, which turned out to be jam toast.

The sooner the boy was dropped off at school, the sooner Severus could collapse into an armchair and complain to himself about that dratted title.

'I've got a daddy now, Frogabook.' Harry gleefully told his pet, who was resting on the floor nearby and watching Harry's food with alert eyes. 'And a home. I finally got my wish!' The child began to talk about how happy he was and all the reasons why. The talking shifted from Frogabook to Severus, as the boy finished his breakfast and followed the man on the way to the school grounds. He finally had to stop blabbering once they reached the gates and Severus bid him farewell.

'I'll see you after school then, daddy!' Harry waved and turned to look for his best friend before the school bell rang.

Severus groaned and walked back to Spinner's End.

He stepped inside and glared down at the frog as though it was somehow to blame for the headache he was beginning to feel. Exhaling, as he now had several hours to brew potions, or mutter about annoying brats, Severus moved towards a nearby pile of books with the intention of refreshing his knowledge of those his son may one day need. He was well-taught in healing draughts and otherwise, however modifications sometimes needed to be made if they're to be consumed by a child, and age also was a huge factor to the dosage.

Severus never got to flip open to the index, as there was a knock at his door. Frowning, as he thought of no one who would visit him at such a time, he got out his wand and cautiously approached the door.

With a precise movement, Severus pushed the door open and gripped his wand out of sight in case it was a Muggle. He almost dropped the precious wand when he saw who stood on his doorstep, and instantly released the door as though it had tried to eat his hand.

'Hello. Are you Severus Snape?'

'Yes.' He said slowly and swallowed, regaining his composure to properly greet his guest. 'Erin Summers, I presume?'

'That's right.' Erin smiled at him, seeming relieved he recognised her. 'I couldn't properly locate this house when he was here, but now I can. Has he told you about me?'

'Briefly.' Severus answered. 'You are his mother.'

'Yes.' Erin nodded. 'And I see, that in my absence, he has gained a father. I heard his speech last night, though I couldn't stay...not with all those people. This is a private matter, and one I feel we need to discuss.' She noticed his stance and the frown on his face, clearly indicating he would rather not talk about the issue and instead tell her to leave.

'Severus, I don't want to take him away from you.' Erin insisted. 'But he is my son too. Isn't there something we can work out? I have searched all these years before I refuse to lose him. I did not want to give him up – my son was stolen from me. I promise, I just want to be a part of his life.'

'If that is your intention then you are correct, Miss Summers...' Severus stepped aside to allow her entrance. 'We have much to discuss.'

Chapter End Notes:
If you're reading this, please send me a review to share your thoughts as I would really appreciate hearing them!