Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

The Final Week

As Harry sniffled against the wooden floor of his room, with his father standing nearby and blocking his exit to the bedroom, a lot of thoughts rushed through his already clouded mind. Having a family was a lot harder than Harry had ever thought it would be. Especially when his fear of losing his parents haunted him, always made him worry, and caused Harry to react in ways he probably blew out of proportion.

And that's exactly what had happened.

Several minutes ago he had yelled and kicked at things, having an all-out tantrum unlike any he'd had before since he'd moved to Spinner's End and then their new home. Sure, he'd yelled before and once threw a tomato at his dad, (who had effectively dodged it then made him clean it off the wall), but never to this extent. And he felt bad about it now he was beginning to calm down a little, though his emotions swirled through him like a mix of sour milk and oranges in a blender.

Harry released a jagged breath as he tried to stop himself from crying, but it was futile.

'Cease this outburst at once.' Severus' sharp tone caused Harry to look up, his thoughts momentarily blurred.

'I will not stand for this childish display! Your selfishness is unacceptable, Cody. Have you forgotten that Jack's parents all but abandoned him on our doorstep, rather than wait a few weeks to bid him farewell?' He lectured. 'Did it escape your careful notice that Jack is not as educated in regards to the ways and phrases of the magical world, and therefore requires additional teaching, in which you have already progressed beyond? Did you expect us to ignore him and bathe you in attention for the entire duration?'

'No!' Harry felt horrible now, more so than before, with each word his father spoke. He was right, of course; Harry had been selfish when he should have been more sympathetic to Jack, and not reacted so badly over something he knew was a bit uncalled for.

And even so, Harry could not help it.

'I...I didn't want you to love him more than me.' Harry admitted, ducking his head again as he wanted to curl up somewhere and cry until he couldn't any more.

A shadow overcast Harry as Severus crouched in front of him. His chin was raised by the soft hand of his father, who spelled away the tear trails on his cheeks, and brushed some hair from Harry's face with his thumb.

'Daddy.' Harry leapt towards Severus and sobbed against him, hoping his tears were representative of his pain and would be washed away in his father's returned embrace.

As they sat uncomfortably on the floor of Harry's room, Severus thought about how he'd had a similar fear in his own childhood. Minus the tantrum, of course. Or at least he hadn't thrown a fit in a place where he had witnesses.

In the beginning of his fifth year, Severus began to really worry Lily would like someone else more than him; namely the Marauders. He was scared that if she saw how good James was at Transfiguration, or how entertained Sirius's friends were, or the way Remus was a walking reference of the most useful books in the library, then she would leave him. Severus would be forgotten and lose the only true friend he'd ever had. It had been the moment when he'd reacted with the most terrible word in a situation of extreme insecurity and embarrassment, that Severus realised he loved her.

And by then, it was too late.

Maybe his own fears had been as exaggerated and unfounded as Harry's were now. Severus didn't know, nor did he want to. Unlike Harry, he couldn't take back his words, his actions, and his blindness to the truth of the situation.

'Cody.' Severus urged the boy towards the bed where they sat side by side, with Harry wiping his eyes with his sleeve even if they were already dry.

'You are my son. The existence of life itself does not compare to how much I love you, and how proud of you I am. Your atrocious behaviour is not a result of anything your mother and I have done, not in the manner in which you fear. Jack is your best friend and a fellow wizard. He is an extension of this family, in his own way, and it is essential for you to understand that no one - Jack or otherwise – will ever replace you in the eyes of myself and your mother.'

'You really mean that?' Harry asked in a timid voice, staring wide-eyed at his father with awe and surprise.

The blender of emotions stopped and a wash of relief was refreshing, slowly erasing the badness before it.

'Have I ever deliberately stated a fact in which proved to be false?' Severus frowned. 'With the exception of anything regarding your mother's cooking or ideals.' He added when Harry opened his mouth to reply.

'No.' The boy sighed and felt very foolish for what he had done. 'I'm sorry.'

Harry was about to tell Severus just how sorry he was, when the bedroom door slowly opened to reveal Erin. She quietly stepped into the room and Harry felt his stomach drop like a bag of rocks. Her face was sad and worried, which he knew was his fault because he'd shouted and kicked his book.

Unable to look at her own ushered tears, Harry stared at his lap instead.

'Severus?' Erin looked to him and hoped she wasn't interrupting.

She had been alarmed by Harry's sudden tantrum, and Erin worried about her son who looked so hurt and confused as he sat on his bed staring downwards. She'd seen the looks he'd given Jack occasionally, but never had Erin imagined it would amount to this. She wasn't sure if it was just jealously or something else. It worried her most that she may have missed something, that Harry might have needed her and she hadn't realised when it mattered.

Erin was determined to understand what happened, and why her son had reacted the way he did.

'Cody?' Severus nudged the boy. 'Perhaps you ought to tell your mother precisely what you told me?'

Harry didn't look up, and only shook his head adamantly.

It had been hard enough telling his dad, and now all his anger was gone, Harry did not think he could say his fears aloud again. He heard his dad tell his mum instead, about how he was scared they would love Jack more than him, and his fear of losing them, though Harry could not remember saying quite so much.

How was it his dad always knew what he was thinking and feeling?

'Oh, sweetheart.' Erin gasped and placed a hand over her mouth in surprise.

Hearing how hurt he was, and the reasons for it broke her heart. She fought through pure stubbornness not to cry, and instead tried to appear strong for her son. As she crouched in front of him, placing her hands on his knees, Harry inched back and avoided her gaze.

Severus, thinking the mother and child needed a moment, moved to leave the bed and venture back downstairs. He barely managed to stand upright when his actions were dramatically hindered.

'NO!' Harry shrieked and lunged at his father's arm.

He held on tight and pressed his face to the sleeve, his eyes wide with emotion as he did not want to be separated from is hero, and the true representation of stability. He inhaled short, ragged breaths until Severus slowly sat back down. Harry realised his hero was the only person in his entire life who hadn't left him. Sure, he'd almost been late to pick him up from school one day three years ago, but other than that, he'd always been there when Harry needed him most.

His mother, though against her will, had left him as well. She came back, and he was so happy she had, but the hurt remained deep down. He remembered needing her and being taken someplace else, somewhere much nastier and where he though he'd become invisible because no one seemed to want him around, and ignored him when they could. They ignored a lot of things about him, really. Severus never went away, he never ignored him when he was hurting or feeling lonely, and he was always there to help Harry.

'Daddy, please don't go.' Harry snuggled close to his father's side. And he knew his father wouldn't, because he never did.

Turning to his mother, he braved her sad face and tried to tell her he was sorry, but the words were lost in his throat.

'My sweet boy.' Erin whispered and brushed some hair from his face, which caused calmness within him and he leaned slightly towards the affection. 'It pains me that you're hurting. I do wish you had told me sooner, then we could have avoided all of this. Yelling and kicking things is not the best way to deal with your emotions. You need to tell us when you're hurting, not just when it becomes too much.'

'I'm s-sorry.' Harry sniffled and buried his face against his father's arm, which caused the man to twitch.

'Shhh.' Erin sat beside Harry so he was seated between both his parents, and pulled her son to her for a hug.

He didn't want to be even an inch away from Severus, and only allowed the embrace from his mother because the man had shoved him towards her. Harry, still gripping a handful of his father's sleeve, closed his eyes as he cuddled his mother. She hummed to him and rocked slightly like she used to when he'd had a nightmare years ago. Though he was now eleven, it was exactly the soothing action he needed to calm down and release all his fears.

He didn't even hear the yelp from his father when Erin pulled him closer, so Harry's arm was no longer stretched as far as it would go in effort not to let go of him.

The boy sat there with his mum to his right and dad to the left. He felt at peace, listening to his mother's humming and feeling secured by the grip he had on his father's sleeve. Erin was talking and Harry tried to listen, but tuned out when it was a lot of similar things Severus had already told him. She mentioned Jack's situation, and how Harry could never be replaced.

'I would not have spent three years searching for you, and missing you each and every day, if I did not love you as much as I do.' Erin said, and Harry's eyes partially opened when he caught those words. 'Do you remember a couple of months ago when Jack had gone home and you thought, just maybe, that his parents didn't love him as much as your father and I love you?'

'Yes.' Harry said in a guilty tone.

He did remember that day very clearly.

He had talked to his parents, and told them what he thought and how he'd felt. It was what he should have done today, rather than the scene he had caused. It also made him think, because amongst his jealously and then guilt, the thought had strayed back to his mind a few times. Harry kept seeing Jack's parents getting into the car and leaving, and then Jack hugging Severus in his hurt.

Harry remembered Jack seeming so aloof about his parents leaving, and so casual about it all, and then he'd basically fallen apart when it actually happened. It made him sad, and Harry realised he wasn't jealous anymore. He knew what it was like, and he had done just what some had to him in the past.

'I expect you to apologise to Jack, when you're ready. Your actions hurt him as well. You said some unkind things that were not his fault.' Erin said, but she didn't need to because Harry was already trying to work out how he was going to tell his best friend he was really sorry for what happened.

'And I hope you understand how so very loved you are, sweetheart. Your father and I wouldn't give you up for the whole world.' Erin kissed his head and brushed some hair from his face.

Harry smiled and closed his eyes again, knowing his father had moved to sit even closer. It was, to him, what love itself felt like, to be encircled by his mum and dad as they reminded him how much he meant to them.

'I love you too, mum.' Harry whispered, his eyes closing again. 'And daddy.' He managed to say before his emotional exhaustion and relaxation lulled him into a serene sleep.

--

Harry missed dinner that night, as he slept in his bed under the sheets and dreamed of sitting in a flying cauldron, passing stars and baked cakes along the way. He saw a castle in the distance, which he tried to reach, but with an unexpected flash of green light, Harry awoke.

Sitting upright, Harry looked around and remembered why it was dark and the reason he was in his bed.

Yawning, he saw it was almost midnight, as judged by the blue dimly glowing clock on his wall, which was shaped like a star. He forgot the dream immediately, and wondered what had woken him. He guessed his parents were asleep, and yet there was light entering into his room.

'Harry?' A hurried whisper reached him.

He looked towards the ajar door and saw Jack standing there in his new pajamas (which Harry was wearing also, despite having no memory of changing into them), with a lit candle in his hand.

'Jack?' Harry rubbed his eyes. 'What are you doing?'

'I came to see if you were awake.' Jack walked into the room and blew out the candle - it was getting hot to hold and the window streamed enough moonlight for them to see. 'Are you okay now?'

'Yeah.' Harry ducked his head in shame. 'I'm really, really, really sorry!'

'It's okay.' Jack sounded relieved. 'I mean, it wasn't nice, but...your mum explained it a bit. I'm sorry you got upset because of me.'

'No, it's not your fault.' Harry insisted. 'I was stupid. I thought they'd like you more than me.'

'Nah.' Jack shook his head. 'They could never do that. You're their son, not me.' He sounded sad and Harry didn't know what to say.

He felt bad about what happened, and he sad for Jack as well. Harry wished the entire day hadn't happened. They sat there awkwardly, and deep in thought, for several minutes until the boys knew they were okay. Jack and Harry were friends again and their situation was resolved, even if they both wished they could say something helpful.

Harry, in an act of impulse, hugged his best friend tightly and Jack returned the gesture.

They laughed quietly about how silly they thought they'd both been, and everything seemed to be back to normal. Both boys jumped and turned quickly when the overhead light flicked on and a sleepy-looking Severus stood in the doorway, clothed in his own pajamas.

'Bed.' He grunted to Jack, who snatched his candle and hurried from the room. 'Sleep.' He added to Cody.

Harry opened his mouth to complain, but sighed and lay back down. 'Night, dad.' He said.

'Sleep well, Harry.' Severus yawned as the light was switched back off and the man returned to his room.

Harry lay there for a while longer before he could get back to sleep, thinking about how things were better again, and that the last time his father had ever called him “Harry” was when he'd been sick from the poison three years ago.

--

After the drama and apologies, the household remained quieter for the next day, until everything gradually went back to how it had been before, minus Harry's jealousy.

They had eight days left until August was over, and September could begin. And on that morning, when the sky was only just starting to lighten and the sun rise, Harry was jerked from his sleep by his father.

'Dad, what the hell?' Harry groaned and tried to pull his sheets over his head, but suspected his father's magic was to blame for his inability to do so.

'Get up.' Severus told him. 'And be quiet. It would be unwise to wake your mother at such an hour.'

'It's stupid to wake anyone at such an hour!' Harry whined, though in a lower tone. 'What's going on?'

'Up. Get dressed and you shall see. I expect to see you in the kitchen in five minutes.' Severus instructed and left the room.

Harry, muttering to himself about fathers who inhaled too many potion fumes, got up and dragged himself towards the bathroom.

Yawning, he dressed in a pair of jeans and a yellow long-sleeved shirt. Ignoring his hair, he made his way downstairs and yawned again into the back of his hand. Reaching the kitchen, Harry saw his father's precious potion storage bag hovering beside the kitchen counter, and a large range of potion vials and jars of ingredients sitting on the table.

He was feeling much more awake already.

'What are you doing?' Harry wondered.

'We are going to be sorting the remainder of my collection.' Severus told him. 'It is a shared duty I trust only to you.'

Smiling, Harry sat on his knees at the table and looked over the items in front of him. He glanced at his father and knew his dad had all the knowledge, patience, and time he needed to do the job on his own, therefore had no actual need for Harry's help. It was a nice gesture anyway, and Harry felt proud to be trusted with it. He saw this as a great chance to spend some personal time with his dad, which Harry felt he really needed after all the things going on in his life lately.

'So, how do we sort them?' Harry asked, and was eager to learn.

Unlike Jack, Harry had no strong interest in Potions itself, but rather the way his father always had time for it. He loved learning about the ingredients and plants, however, and hearing his dad speak in his deep voice about all the useful things they could do.

Really, as long as Harry wasn't in trouble, he felt he could listen to his dad all day.

'It is essential that we first determine which ingredients should be retained, and which used before we depart from this house, so they do not do to waste.' Severus explained.

He stood across from the boy, with the table between them, and kept his gaze on the objects of Potioneering importance.

'Then it will be necessary to select the potions for available use, in which shall be obtained from a cupboard in our long-term residence within the school. Those remaining ought to be cautiously stored for emergencies or...otherwise.' Severus said the last word carefully.

And the pair set to work a minute later.

Harry had a lot of fun with his task, picking the ingredients he thought they would need later, and smiled at the praise he received when his guesses were correct or his explanations for his decisions were silently applauded by his dad. Harry forgot what time is was as they worked, until there were only three vials of strange liquid left, each a different colour, and Harry wasn't sure what they contained as Severus decided not to tell him many details.

By then the sun had risen and snoring was heard from the living room.

Jack had been woken at one point and came downstairs thinking it was time for breakfast. When he saw what was on the table instead, he grumbled and retreated to the living room (upon realising what time is was), deeming his borrowed room too far away in his state of sleepiness, and on the couch he remained. The sandy-haired boy hadn't moved since, as the father and son finished their task with a blue-smoky potion being placed into the bag, and Erin obliviously slept undisturbed upstairs.

'Go and wake your mother.' Severus told Harry as he placed a plate of scrambled eggs on the table. 'Jack!'

'I'm awake!' Jack jerked upright on the sofa and nearly slid off it in shock. Yawning loudly, he scratched his head and made his way into the kitchen for the breakfast he had hoped for many hours ago.

'Why do I have to wake her?' Harry whined to his father. 'You know mum hates getting up early.'

'Precisely.' Severus narrowed his eyes. 'Should I be the one to interrupt her sleep, the experience will be most displeasing. You, however, as her son, presents her with a welcome sight in the morning.'

'So basically, she'll throw her pillow at your face and shout about how annoying you are...' Harry smirked as he remembered past incidences. Actually, a pillow in the face was considered lucky. 'But if I wake mum, she'll just hug me and probably get up?'

'I think I'd rather be you, Cody.' Jack commented.

'Fine.' Harry exhaled loudly and went to wake his mother, as Severus gave him a stern expression and pointed a spoon towards the stairs.

Severus grabbed a bowl and scooped some scrambled eggs into it, knowing Erin would want to eat right away as long as she had her coffee as well. He made sure to place the bowl closer to Jack, giving Erin the impression the boy had served the food rather than himself.

Erin was convinced he would one day try to poison her with something dreadful-tasting that would make her lose her voice for a day. Severus had to admit, there were times when he had been sorely tempted. He made the mistake of saying it aloud, and she hadn't trusted him with her food since.

--

An hour before lunch, Harry went to the basement door clutching a book in his arms.

He exhaled and raised a hand to knock. He wasn't sure why his father was in the basement at all, since he was given the impression it was now empty. If he asked his mother, Erin would likely say the man was hiding in his “bat cave”. Unlike Jack, Harry wouldn't think of a superhero named Batman, but rather comment he'd never seen any bats in the basement when he had been down there that one time.

'Yes?' Severus asked as he opened the door and looked down at his son.

'I, uhm...' Harry blushed. 'I was wondering if you could fix this, please?'

He held up his History of Magic textbook, which had not been touched since he'd kicked it on the night of his tantrum.

'I finished reading the first five chapters of it, like you told me to.' He added. 'But some of the pages have fallen out and...' He trailed off, holding it up for his father to see.

'Very well.' Severus sighed and waved his wand.

'Wow.' Harry smiled in amusement as the book fixed itself and looked brand new again. 'Oh, dad?' He fidgeted. 'There's something else I wanted to ask you as well.'

'Go on.' Severus looked to be dreading the question, because Harry seemed far too determined and yet embarrassed.

'I-Can I wash your hair?' Harry asked quickly. 'Mum said it's never clean, but I think it's fine. I mean, what if someone else thinks that it looks bad and they don't like you? Or-or I don't know, but please?'

'You...' Severus paused to be sure he'd heard correctly. 'You wish to wash my hair to ensure others will like me?' He frowned at the mere idea. 'I am fully capable of washing my own hair, Cody. I do not require assistance!'

'I know!' Harry said hastily. 'I think you're great. And I like your hair. But I don't want someone else to not like you because of anything. You told me I couldn't be Cody Snape because at Hogwarts not a lot of people like you.' He remembered.

Severus though the boy was rambling nonsense and if anyone didn't like him it wasn't going to be because of his hair, which he did wash on a regular basis! He was about to tell his son how silly the idea was, and that it doesn't matter what anyone thought of him because it wasn't their job to be who someone else wanted them to be. He stopped, however, at the look of utter desperation on his son's face. The boy honestly believed that in washing his father's hair for him it would make him more likeable. Or rather, Severus soon realised, give Erin no reason to complain about his hair.

The boy was scared anyone, even his own mother, would not like his dad for even the smallest of reasons.

'Please, daddy?' Harry did something he had never done before at any moment in his life.

He had heard about it, and once seen Jack use it on a teacher to get out of trouble, but he had never had a reason big enough to try it for himself. He had practised all morning. Harry stuck out his lower lip and bit it lightly, his eyes aimed at his father with an expression of sad pleading. It was the puppy-dog eyes, something Jack had once told him was a special kind of magic only few could master.

Harry didn't realise it, but he was a natural, and Severus had trouble preserving his composure at the sight of it.

As ridiculous as the request was, Severus found himself agreeing to what could only be an act of shredding his dignity to allow an eleven-year-old wash his hair with one of those dreaded products Erin had purchased. And he was right.

Harry led him upstairs to the bathroom (after putting his book back in his room), and watched as Severus conjured a wooden stool for himself to sit on. It was decided they would use the exact method Severus had once done for Harry when the boy had been eight and too sick to shower, but his hair had to be washed. He'd sat on a seat and wrapped a towel around his shoulders, which Severus specially spelled to serve as a protection from any water or soap. As long as he wore it, Harry had never gotten one drop of water on himself, other than his head which was being washed by his mother.

'Is this it?' Harry asked, lifting a large white towel from an underneath cupboard. It had a golden leaf embroiled in one corner, which was how he had identified it.

'It is hardly necessary to use the exact same towel.' Severus sighed. 'Very well.' He added and cast the enchantments upon it, adding a few extra ones for the safety of his pride, such as an anti-bubble spell, in case one of the products frothed with pink bubbles, which was something he did not think belonged anywhere near his vicinity.

'Ready, dad?' Harry asked with a chuckle of amusement.

He stood on a stool behind his dad and could see the man's thoroughly loathing expression in the mirror above the sink. He had picked the shampoos and conditioners that were the most “normal”, because Harry didn't think it was nice to make someone's hair do strange things or smell like flowers.

Severus was eternally grateful for his son's sympathetic common sense.

--

'Jack?' Erin halted the boy as he was about to climb over the sofa.

She looked a little concerned, as she hadn't seen Harry for hours and she'd been working in the kitchen to try a new cake recipe.

'Have you seen Cody?'

'I heard him laughing upstairs.' Jack shrugged. 'Have you seen Earnest anywhere?'

'Check under your bed.' Erin suggested, thinking of the newly-named cat Jack owned. 'He seems to like it under there.'

'I already looked there.' Jack sighed. 'I'm gonna check outside.' He said and hurried to where Frogabook was sunbathing, since they had placed a cat-flap on the back door. Severus had added more spells to the backyard, making sure Earnest could not leave the yard even if he wanted to.

'Hm, where is that boy?' Erin frowned. She turned towards a sound on the stairs and saw Harry descending them with a smile on his face. 'There you are!'

'Hi, mum.' Harry struggled not to laugh. 'Is it time for lunch yet?'

'Almost.' Erin said and looked over the boy's shoulder to Severus, who was looking very irritated as he followed the boy. 'What were you two doing?' She asked, becoming rather suspicious with what Harry had convinced his father to help him with next.

'Nothing.' Harry shrugged with a cheeky smile. 'Where's Jack? I saw Earnest sneak into my cupboard a minute ago.'

'He's outside.' Erin pointed to the back door. 'Does anyone else smell apricots?' She frowned and sniffed the air.

Erin was confused when Harry burst into giggles and fled from the room, whereas Severus growled and marched off to the basement. When he emerged half an hour later for lunch, the fruity scent of his hair was gone, though Erin noticed it was wavier than usual and asked if he had washed it.

Severus denied everything.


'Three days left.' Harry said to Jack, as they looked at their hand-made calendar that was still pinned to the fridge. 'Two, really, as of midnight tonight.' He sighed and looked at his best friend. 'It's so soon.'

'I know.' Jack nodded and stared at the two blank spaces of their remaining days. 'In two days we're going to Hogwarts. I still can't believe it.'

'Boys.' Erin said. 'Dinner.'

The two eleven-year-olds walked to the table and sat down, quiet for a moment as they thought about September.

Despite spending an entire month preparing, they did not feel anywhere near ready for the drastic change in their lives. They'd been counting down all month, and still the last few days felt to have snuck up on them. Neither of the boys touched much of their pasta, until Erin urged them to eat.

'Dad?' Harry looked to his father, who was seated across from him. 'What's a Ravenclaw?' He asked. 'I heard someone say it when we were in Diagon Alley.'

'It is one of the four Hogwarts houses.' Severus answered. 'Upon arrival, all first year students are sorted into a house, which is dictated by an old hat.'

'Does it pick randomly?' Jack wondered. 'Can Cody and I be in the same house?'

'No.' Severus said. 'You are placed into the house you belong in, as determined by your personality and aspirations.'

'What are the houses?' Harry felt even more nervous now. 'What's the difference? Were you in a house at Hogwarts? Which one?' His questions rolled off his tongue before he could stop them.

Severus placed his fork beside his almost-empty plate and rested his elbows on the surface of the table. His hands against his chin, Severus thought about what he had been asked. It was easy to give them the basics and send them off with certain judgements and ideals about those of each house, but Severus could not do that. He knew Jack was likely to end up in Gryffindor and sharing his thoughts about the house he despised was not going to be very beneficial to either child.

As for his son, well, Severus didn't have the slightest idea which house the boy may end up in.

'Ravenclaw house is known to be wise and of considerable intellect, though at times, eccentric.' Severus began. 'Ravenclaws are often very observant and may notice what so many may not. Hufflepuff house is for those of strong spirit. They work hard and are very loyal, which enables them to push themselves further if need be. They are exceptionally fair and just. Gryffindor house...' He paused and had to think for a moment, trying really hard not to say what he deemed to be the dreadful truth.

'Gryffindors are honoured for their courage and nobility. They will not allow fear to hinder them in any task or situation, even if it often leads to recklessness. And their rivals are said to be Slytherin.' He could not deny that honestly, since the boys would hear of the disagreements between the two houses anyway.

'Slytherin, my former house, prides itself on ambition. They will not let go of their dreams until they have achieved them. Their reputation in comparison to the other houses is often categorised as being self-serving and ill-intending, though I can personally assure you that neither of the four houses is any worse than the other, nor better.' He wasn't entirely honest in his words, as Severus thought Gryffindor was an atrociously annoying house, but the boys didn't need to hear that.

And when a silence occurred, it only lasted a short moment before the boys loaded Severus with more questions. Erin then joined in with some of her own.

The meal lasted longer than it ever had, and soon it was time for the boys to go to bed. Once the two young wizards were in their own beds and fast asleep, the adults returned to the living room and Erin cast Severus a thoughtful expression.

'Severus?' Erin asked quietly. 'Sirius was in Gryffindor, wasn't he?'

'Yes.' Severus glared.

'And you were in Slytherin.' Erin sighed. 'I've always been under the assumption that neither of you got along. Was is because of the rift between the two houses, as you said, or was it something more?'

'It is a matter I do not wish to discuss.' Severus turned to look at her. 'You hold Sirius Black at high regard. Anything I say, however true it may be, will tarnish your fondness for him.' He said and turned to sit at the table.

He summoned a pile of parchment and began writing out plans and signing forms.

Erin stood in the hallway where he had left her and stared to the distance. She had been afraid of such an answer, and decided she did not want to know why Severus didn't like Sirius. She wasn't ready for the truth. And so, she walked to the living room and sat down with a sigh.

Erin hadn't told anyone, though she knew Severus likely suspected, but she was as nervous as the boys about going to Hogwarts.

---

Many miles away, another mother was preparing for her child's venture to Hogwarts as well.

She sat in an armchair by a fireplace, swirling the amber liquid in her glass, as she looked towards a window across the room.

'Are you certain?' The woman glanced to her husband, who stood nearby reading a long scroll of parchment.

'It was him.' He nodded. 'I have no doubt. He was distracted when I called to him, but it was Severus Snape.'

'In Knockturn Alley?'

'Is that so hard to believe?' He looked to his wife with a frown. 'The man used to be Death Eater; everyone knows that. And no one stops being a Death Eater.'

'You should know.' She answered in a bitter tone, her gaze drifting to his left forearm, though it was covered by his dark maroon sleeve. 'What about our son? You saw Severus Snape in Knockturn Alley, where he had retrieved a boy of Hogwarts age. He is hardly the man to babysit. Do you think he has a child of his own?'

'It is possible.' The husband nodded. 'If it's true, then I will tell him. Our boy cannot go to Hogwarts without knowing.'

'Are you sure he's ready?' She worried and sipped the last of her drink. 'Surely we should wait? Until we know the truth?'

'No.' The man shook his head. 'He must be prepared. If a classmate of his is in association with Severus Snape, then there is no other choice. He has to know. I will tell him first thing tomorrow morning.'

'And the girl?' She glanced firmly at her husband with a look of caution.

'She won't be missed.' He said quickly. 'I assure you, it will be fine. Everything is in place. Our plan will work.'

'Alright.' She leaned back in her seat and sighed with dread, thinking about her sleeping child upstairs, who was unaware of his parent's serious discussion. 'Tell him.'


Chapter End Notes:
Please share your thoughts in a review.

Next chapter, the journey to Hogwarts officially begins!