Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Well, ENJOY, and remember, PLEASE REVIEW!!! Disclaimer: ALL CHARACTERS BELONG TO J.K. ROWLING!!!
Talking with Draco

"Draco, wake up!" Those were the first words Draco heard. Where was he? He certainly wasn't at home or in his dorm; no one would bother to wake him up like this. His father usually yelled at him while Crabbe and Goyle threw pillows at him. Suddenly, he remembered... His father, Voldemort, Potter...

He opened his eyes and found himslef looking into a pain or worried, emerald eyes.

"So you're finally awake," Harry said, gracing him with a smile. "Here's your breakfast." The Gryffindor placed a tray in front of Draco.

The Slytherin looked up. "Don't you have to go to lessons?"

"Severus'll make an excuse for us," was the reply.

"Severus?"Draco asked, not registering the name.

"Professor Snape. You better not call him that unless he gives you permission though," Harry said, amused. "Now, eat up."

Draco looked down at the good: toast, eggs, canned peaches. His favourites. How Potter knew what he liked was beyond him. The Slytherin slowly took a bite, his eyes lost in thought. He couldn't remember ever being treated like this before; he always served his parents breakfast, never vice versa. It felt nice to be taken care of in this way. "How exactly did you find me?" He asked finally. "I just remember a unicorn..."

"You know I found your diary," Harry began uncertainly, afraid that Draco would start yelling again. To his relief, the Slytherin jsut continued eating. He continued. "I found your father's letter in the diary. From what I could gather, he didn't sound too happy. So I knew you were going to get hurt. Yesterday, Severus and I followed you. When your father put you under the Cruciatus Curse, I stunned him. Severus brought your father to Dumbledore and I was left with you. The flying unicorn was me; It's my Animagus form."

Draco nodded in comprehension; he was slightly surprised that Potter was an Animagus, but he didn't doubt the fact when he remembered those mysterious green eyes the unicorn had had. "What's going on between you and Professor Snape?" he asked curiously. "From what I could gather, everything you were doing was an act, but I couldn't tell exactly what was going on."

"You could tell?" Harry's eyes widened slightly. "Well, Draco, don't tell anyone... Severus' my father." Harry didn't know why he was trusting Draco with a secret that he hadn't even told Ron and Hermione; For some reason, he knew in his heart that he could trust Draco. He could sense a kind of.. honesty.

Draco just gaped at Harry; this had to be a joke, it just HAD to be... but judging by the Gryffindor's expression, the boy was dead serious. "What--- HOW?"

Harry's tone was sharp. "I don't really want to talk about this right now, it's still kind of a shock for me..." The boy's eyes grew distant, as if he was lost in thoughts.

"What about my father? What's going to happen to him? When will I go back to living with him? You realize that there's no way he'll let me stay at Hogwarts after this..." Draco shuddered as he thought about the kinds of punishment he would recieve fr disobeying.

"NO," Harry's voice had a sharp edge to it. "You are NOT going back to your father. He'll hurt you." After a moment, Harry asked softlly, "Draco, tell me the truth, what do you think of your father? How would you feel if he was put in Azkaban?"

Draco's voice was filled with pain. "I hate my father. I hate the fact that I'm a Malfoy; the family name's brought nothing but pain and torture. I want to be different, I want to be myself, but because I'm a Malfoy, no one will believe me." He laughed bitterly. "They just judge me for what they think I am, never for what I really am. They expect me to work for Voldemort. Every one of them. I suppose even Dumbledore and Professor Snape thinks I'm going to become a Dath Eater when I grow up. Not that I blame them after how I behave, but I hate it when people assume I'm something just because my parents were." For some reason, it felt strangely soothing to let out all his pain and anger, to pour out his heart's secrets. He felt more carefree, as if a great weight had been lifted from his shoulders. "I think my whole family deserves to be put in Azkaban. Me included. After all, the world will be a better place if the Malfoys were gone."

"NO, Draco," Harry said, gripping the other's shoulder tightly, forcing Draco to look him in the eye. "You must not think that way, you must NEVER think that way. Don't blame yourself for something your parents have done; it is beyond your control. Be yourself, and everything will be fine." In a softer tone, he added, "And Draco, you're not going back to your paents. You're staying. Your father will go to Azkaban if you testify against him."

Draco looked up sadly. "Where will I go? No one wants me."

"Hogwarts wants you," Harry insisted firmly. "You can stay with me, no matter where I go."

"Are you sure?" Draco asked doubtfully, not believing the fact that Harry was telling the truth. "Why would you even WANT to have me here? I'm worthless. Why would anyone want an absolute prat and arrogant git?"

"YOU ARE NOT WORTHLESS!" Harry said, determined to grind the fact into the other's brain. "Here that? YOU ARE NOT WORTHLESS? People want you, people will even miss you. I want you to stay because I know how it feels like to be unwanted, to be sneered and yelled at every minute of your life. I know how it feels to be... alone. But never let that break you."

Draco finally smiled, his eyes flashing as he finally understood what Harry was saying. "All right, I'll testify against my father."

"Excellent," came a voice as Severus entered the room, his robes flying behind him. He flashed Draco a smile. "I'm glad to see your awake."

Draco felt stunned; Snape was actually being NICE???~!!! True, the Slytherins had always been treated better than the other houses, but to tell the truth, had never seen the Potions Master smile once. After an uncomfortable greeting, he turned towards Harry to avoid looking at his professor. His face burned with shame was he thought about his father's actions.

"What's going to be happening to Lucius Malfoy?" Harry said. He felt Draco stiffen beside him.

"I took him to Dumbledore. He will be sent to Azkaban for child abuse and working for Voldemort, since the use of Vertisum is allowed." Severus glanced at Draco, but the Slytherin's expression could not be identified.

"Um... Professor, excuse me if I'm wrong, but um.... don't you work for Voldemort?"

"No, Draco, I spy for the Light side, which is why it often seems like I'm working for the Dark." Severus gazed at the blond boy. "You are brave, Draco. You resisted your parents. When I was young, I did not have the courage to oppose my parents. But you fought, and you won. And that is the most important of all: your attitude."

Draco blushed; praise from the Potions Master was rare. "Thank you, sir." he mumbed.

"Draco," the Potions Master said again. "You are welcome to live with Harry and I. You realize that you can not live with the rest of your relatives. They will hurt you."

Drao reddened as Harry gave the Slytherin an 'I told you so' look. "Thank you," he repeated.

"Now," Severus turned to Harry. "Since you won't be going to lessons, you can stay here and practise those charms I taught you. Draco will have to reat. I have a lesson in about five minutes." WIth that, the Potions Master swept out the door.

"Sleep, Draco," Harry said as he cast a sleeping charm on the Slytherin. The boy soon slipped into a dreamless sleep.

Chapter End Notes:
Well, I just realized that lots of chapters end with people going to sleep, now, don't they? I guess it's just a good way to end, though a cliffhanger is probably better. *smirks evilly* This chapter was dedicated to Yih for her WONDERFUL story, "Harry Potter and the Mirror of the Paradox". I really enjoyed it. A big thank you to all readers and reviewer!!!