Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
"Fine. Go naked. And, Harry, make sure you get a picture of him. Goodness knows I could do with a laugh." - Molly Weasley

Note: Some language problems, but nothing serious...
Injured

Draco Malfoy woke up with a start to the sound of his wand buzzing. He checked the clock. 5am. Oh, damn, now he remembered why he had set his wand to wake him up early. He had to go see Professor Snape for help with his Potions essay. The professor would probably be up by now, he was an early riser.

Sighing, he got up and changed. His father wouldn't be too pleased when he finds out about the Potions test they had had the day before. He knew he not done very well. That Hermio... no, Granger was always getting the good marks. It wasn't fair. Draco hated admitting that the muggle, Gryffindor girl was better than him in everything. To tell the truth, he thought Granger was a likable person, but no, nobody was supposed to know that. The tradition stated that Slytherins and Gryffindors had to be enemies, and he, Draco, would not be the one to mess that up.

He walked down towards his Head of House's dungeon, his stomach rumbling. What was his first lesson again? Defense Against Dark Arts with the Gryffindors. Oh no, just his luck. Professor Lupin was... Suddenly, he heard a low, moaning sound coming from the corridor in front of him. What was that? He was just starting to think that it was his imagination when the sound came again. If seemed as if someone was in pain. He quickened his pace and walked around the corner. He stopped when he saw the crumpled heap on the floor. Hmm, red and black robes. A Gryffindor. What was a Gryffindor doing here, near the Slytherin Common Room?

"Hello?" Draco asked uncertainly. Was this figure even alive? What should he do? "Hello?"

Slowly, as if talking great efforts, the heap raised itself until the Slytherin could see the person's face. The colour drained from Draco's face and he gasped as those pain-filled emerald eyes met his blue ones. It was Potter.

**********

I do not know how long I lay there, but the next thing I remember was someone calling me.

"Hello?"

The voice sounded strangely familiar. Who was it? I tried to look up but was unable to. It felt as if all the energy had been drained from me.

"Hello?" The voice said again. I opened my eyes just a crack and saw the hems of a green robe. Oh no, a Slytherin. This was not good.

Judging by the light, it was past dawn. Well, I couldn't lie there forever. Time to face the music. With trememdous efforts, I slowly raised my head and squinted at the figure. I heard a gasp. It was then that I realized who it was. Malfoy. My worst enemy. Well, what was I to do now? It would be a day in hell before Draco Malfoy decided to help me. I closed my eyes, prepared myself for the laughing and teasing. But I didn't hear a sound. Finally, I raised my head again. Draco was still standing there, looking shocked. I looked around and saw myself surrounded in a puddle of blood. Darn, the bleeding must have continued. So that was why Draco was stunned. Well, I had to say something. I couldn't just lie there.

"G-Get a pro-professor, Draco. Any pro-professor."

**********

Draco stood there uselessly, stunned. Potter was covered in blood! Hell, what had happened to that boy?

Just then, Potter spoke. "G-Get a pro-professor, Draco. Any pro- professor."

Draco just looked at the heap on the floor. It took him a minute to register what Potter had said. He immediately rushed around the last corner and banged on the dungeon trap door. "Professor Snape! Help, Professor, it's an emergency!" He didn't know why he was doing this. Why should he care about what happened to Potter? It was none of his business. Yet, he knew he would find himself explaining about Harry when his teacher opened the door.

There was no answer from the room. Maybe Professor Snape was asleep after all. With as much energy as he could muster, he cried out one last time.

"Professor, it's Draco!!! HELP, please!"

*********

Severus was sitting at his desk, marking papers. Oh, what a tedious thing to do. He was about to give up when there was a sudden banging on his trapdoor. There was a muffled sound, but he couldn't tell who was yelling.

He was getting up and going towards the entrance when the voice called out again. The banging was as loud as ever.

"Professor, it's Draco!!! HELP, please!" The voice was getting desperate, rising both in volume and intensity.

Draco Malfoy. What could have happened for the boy to come yelling at 5 in the morning? He sighed as he yanked opened the door. The Slytherin boy fell into the room. After Severus managed to calm him down, Draco led him to the heap on the floor.

Severus tried unsuccessfully to stifle a gasp. The undignified pile was surrounded by a puddle of blood. He was concerned by how much blood the person had lost. But first, he had to find out who it was. Gently, he reached down and lifted the person by their shoulders. He took one look at the face and gasped again. Harry Potter.

********

Harry was vaguely aware of Draco leaving. A few minutes later, the sound of two pairs of footsteps echoed in the hall. He heard Malfoy talking."

"He's here, sir, and he's injured..."

"Calm down, Draco." A cold, unconcerned voice said. Oh great, it was Snape. "And who are you talking about?"

Harry heard the gasp as Snape saw him. Saw his Potions professor's startled black eyes. Oh well, now, he was in trouble. Not that it mattered. He suddenly felt dizzy again. He tried to keep awake, but he was tired. He fell asleep once more.

*******

Severus couldn't believe it. It was Harry Potter. The boy whom he always thought of as strong, determined and full of dignity. Yet here was the Gryffindor now, lieing helpless on the ground. He had to help him.

Severus reached down and carefully removed the boy's cloak. Harry moaned softly. The professor continued with what he was doing. Soon, the Gryffindor's garments had been removed.

Oh God, what had happened to the child? His back was covered with welts and scars, many made recently, judging by the colour. He heard Draco gasp beside him. Not that he diagreed with the Slytherin, he wanted to throw up himself at the sight.

Severus reached down and touched the boy softly, but Harry flinched away. He was once again reminded of the pain-filled emerald eyes he had seen that day when Harry came off of the Hogwarts Express. He hadn't really paid any attention to it, until now. What could have caused such pain, such... despair? Could the Dursleys have been beating this boy? This was a possibility, seeing to the fact that his parents had constantly beat him when he was young. Severus knew how it felt to be... abused. He understood the pain this boy was going through, could remember the sting of the whip as if it had happened yesterday.

He physically shook himself. No, this wasn't the time to breakdown. He would not show his weakness to his students-- especially to his students. Besides, Potter needed help immediately. He picked up the boy carefully and ran towards the Hospital Wing, Draco at his heels.

********

Draco let out a startled gasp when his professor removed Potter's shirt. God, it was stunning. The boy's back was covered with welts, most were still bleeding... Yes, his father had beat him before, but never in such a way. He felt shocked that the famous Boy-Who-Lived led such a life. 'How could Potter have managed to live through this?' he wondered to himself. 'How could he bear to keep all his... feelings, all his anger and despair inside him?'

For the first time, it occured to him that Potter was not just any boy. The boy was not hiding behind his cloak of fame as others may have done. Instead, he earned this life with his knowledge, wisdom, and wits. Draco also knew that he, himself would not have been able to lead the life that Potter led. He did not have such courage and determination, such wisdom that the Gryffindor had.

Suddenly, Draco realized that the emotion he had buried inside himself was sympathy, longing and regret. He felt sorry for the boy, and longed to befriend him. He wanted to become a friend, a person this boy could rely on. He regretted all he had done to him, all the trouble he had caused him. Yet how could this Gryffindor be his friend? How could Harry forgive the enemy he had known since the first time they had set eyes on each other?

Just then, Professor Snape stood up, scooped Harry into his arms, and took of towards the Hospital Wing. Draco followed, surprised by the gentleness the man showed. As he caught Severus' worried eyes, he was even more stunned to see the pain in those dark black eyes. Professor Snape, caring about Harry Potter? Unbelievable. Yet there was no doubting the situation as the teacher hurried on, Draco running at his heals. They soon reached the hospital wing.

*********

Severus gently place the injured boy on the bed. Madam Pomfrey ran into the room.

"Hello, professor, what's..." She stopped as she spotted Harry. The tray in her hands dropped to the floor with a clang. "Oh my..." She immediately began to treat Harry with various sorts of medical potions.

Half an hour later, Severus stood up. He eyed the weary nurse and said, "So, what's wrong with him? What happened?" Oh damn, couldn't hide the concern in his voice. No, he wasn't SUPPOSED to be worrying over a Gryffindor boy...

Madam Pomfrey looked up at him, her eyes full of tears. "I-I'm afraid, Professor, that he has a very small chance of... surviving."