Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

The Simplicity of Lies

It had always been a shadow in Harry’s life; lingering and impacting where it didn’t belong. But with the past few months being so heavily focused on Toby, its existence had begun to fade from Harry’s immediate concern.

Lord Voldemort was still out there and it was Harry’s destiny to destroy him; neither can live while the other survives.

His worst dreams (such as the particularly dark ones on the first night of the New Year), had been of dulled screams, paled eyes, an odd archway, and flashes of deadly green. That night barely two weeks into January, Harry’s subconscious was reminded yet again of the horror that filled his waking life. His mother pleaded for her baby’s life; Cedric never had a chance to even fight back against his murderer; And Sirius Black fell but never landed through an archway that separated him from life itself.

Then there was Voldemort’s cruel, gleeful laughter moments before Harry awoke in a cold sweat.

Harry opened his eyes as the flash of green he had just seen once again clouded his gaze for a moment until he was able to take in the darkened surroundings of the Gryffindor dormitory. His pillow and pajamas were drenched as he sat upright and swallowed deeply.

When he’d been having those dreams nearly every night he had formed an adaption to them in the sense that he could gather himself quicker afterwards. But it had been so long that it felt as though he’d just relived all of his horrible memories all at once. He was half-tempted to check if there was a Dementor in the room.

Looking over at the small form that was tucked under the blankets at Ron’s side, Harry instantly felt guilty. While he hadn’t endured such a horrible nightmare all school year until now, he’d still had his share of darker ones such as the New Year’s Day. Because of it he decided to explain to Toby that sometimes he got upset in his sleep but that he shouldn’t worry because it was okay once he awoke. It had tasted slightly of a lie, but Harry wanted to avoid upsetting the small boy every time he had a nightmare in case it resulted in the same for Toby.

The six-year-old had taken to it well and accepted the advice that should he ever be woken by such an occurrence than he was to seek the bed of another right away, preferably Ron as his redheaded friend had more understanding of these nightmares than anyone.

And it appeared as though tonight Toby had done exactly that.

Harry rubbed his hand over his wet eyes and rose from the bed to cast a drying charm on it and headed to the bathroom in case he needed to clean up, hurl, or otherwise calm himself before he returned to his bed.

Normally Harry envisioned that he would never be able to get back to sleep after such a restless event and yet Irma’s words from a decent time ago returned to his memory and he decided to try it. He went to the common room to not wake anyone by calling Dobby and requesting half a glass of cold milk with exactly three squeezes of lemon juice.

As he waited for the elf to happily fulfill his request, Harry’s mind tried to think of random subjects that had nothing to do with any of the deathly images he had just relived in his slumber. His mind shifted through many different things, such as what he’d heard about his mother, how he thought of Snape compared to the previous five years, if Toby was beginning to favor Irma over him, who Mildred Merrengold was, if he should really let Toby keep that kitten, the conversation Remus and Snape had shared during Slughorn’s Christmas party…

‘Here is your milk with three drops of lemon juice, Master Harry Potter sir.’ Dobby appeared and offered the half-full (or half-empty), glass.

‘Thanks, Dobby. That’s all I needed.’ Harry smiled and the elf disappeared.

Sighing, the teen returned to his dormitory and settled himself in his bed before he reached for the glass he’d placed on his nightstand and paused. It was not mere hesitation towards the likely disgusting mixture he was about to consume (really, it couldn’t be worse than some of the potions he’d had to force down!), but because something had just occurred to him.

Reaching with one hand to touch his face, Harry realized that he had not replaced his glasses on his face and yet he could see his blurring glass better than he’d have been able to four years ago. He had thought the darkness of the room had been the cause of the difficulty to see since nothing blurred to the extent that it usually did without his glasses.

Shaking those thoughts aside, Harry gulped down the entire contents of the glass, placed it onto the surface beside his bed and waited for the churning of his stomach in which he had expected to follow.

It wasn’t half bad.

In fact, it did make him rather drowsy as Harry lay back down and closed his eyes. Within minutes the teenager couldn’t react with astonishment to the success that was a result of what Irma had suggested, because he had returned to his slumber. This time void of the images and screams he had endured before, at least for several more hours until the sun began to rise and once again Harry jerked awake. Even so, he felt rather well-rested and decided to get up and dress in preparation for the day. He also couldn’t believe that he hadn’t noticed until now that in nearly five months Dumbledore had not approached him regarding the war against Voldemort and hadn’t even alluded to the fact that it was still going on.

If Harry was supposed to destroy Voldemort then why hadn’t Dumbledore began training him for it, or filled him in on the details he had partially promised? Harry made a mental note to find out as soon as possible.

The dormitory was still rather quiet as Harry put on his shoes and tucked away his wand. He stood and glanced at Toby once again; they hadn’t spent a lot of time with each other apart from the night on the eighth where they sat up talking about Lily and what Harry had found out about the boy’s father, Severus Snape.

‘Where are you going?’ The child’s sleepy voice whispered to him from Ron’s bed where the redhead snored softly.

‘I have to speak with Professor Dumbledore.’ Harry said the first thing that came to mind as he wanted a moment to himself and couldn’t outright tell Toby not to come as the boy might take it the wrong way and feel as though he wasn’t welcome.

Once the boy had accepted his answer with a yawn, Harry turned and left the room, deciding that he may as well go through with what he had told Toby and headed for the gargoyles that guarded the headmaster’s office.

‘Chocolate frogs.’ He said the password.

Harry was glad that via his own request, Dumbledore now kept him well-informed of all changes to the password should Harry ever need to speak with him socially or in an emergency, as long as he always knocked from now onwards.

Knocking dutifully, Harry waited until he was invited inside before he opened the door and stepped through.

‘Ah, good morning, Harry!’ Dumbledore smiled at him. ‘I see you are making noble use of my door these days. And what do I owe this early-morning visit? I trust things are still well with young Toby?’

‘He’s fine.’ Harry sighed as he crossed the room and sat on the chair before the headmaster had a chance to offer it to him.

‘I need to talk to you about Voldemort.’ He said seriously.

‘I see, and have you had another vision?’ Dumbledore asked while he shuffled a small stack of papers on his desk as though the topic was merely leaning towards failed grades or some other school-related issue.

‘No, sir,’ Harry realized his words to be true. ‘None.’

‘I’m pleased to hear that.’ Dumbledore nodded. ‘I was rather concerned when your Occlumency lessons the previous year had met an unfortunate end. And what is this matter regarding Voldemort in which you wish to discuss? Has something happened?’

‘That’s exactly it.’ Harry frowned. ‘Nothing’s happened. It’s like…I don’t know really, but I thought after the prophecy and the truth coming out that you’d- well, we haven’t even talked about it since then, sir.’

‘I was beginning to wonder when we’d reach this matter of concern, though I sincerely hope it has not taken you this length of time in which to notice it.’ Dumbledore actually looked more amused than disappointed, much to Harry’s relieve as he had indeed only recently detected such facts.

‘Sorry, sir.’

‘No matter, no matter!’ Dumbledore waved a dismissive hand in a manner a little like Slughorn usually did. ‘I had envisioned that given your extra responsibilities and detractions lately that such a thing may occur with someone whose mind is as young and innocent as your own.’ He nodded.

‘As for Lord Voldemort, I am yet to approach you with such matters because I do not believe you to be destined for such a fight.’

‘You don’t, sir?’ Harry raised an eyebrow at the headmaster as he found this to be incredibly difficult to believe, given their last conversation the previous year that had involved the destruction of the man’s office.

‘No, Harry, I do not.’ Dumbledore glanced at his bowl of lemon drops as though thinking upon either eating one or offering them to Harry. ‘And everything is going relatively to plan; there is no need for your further assistance at the current time.’

‘But I want to help!’ Harry stood to his feet, disbelief and annoyance marking his features. ‘I want to fight, I need to do something! He killed my parents and Cedric. I can’t just do nothing.’

‘No one expects you to do nothing, Harry.’ Dumbledore smiled.

‘I am well aware of the crimes Lord Voldemort has committed against you. It has caused you great pain and loss…however it is no longer in your duty in which to fight this war alone.’

Harry sank into the seat again and realized the lack of twinkle in the man’s eyes, the stern gaze and unnaturally firm tone he used as he spoke somewhat out of character. Pausing for a moment, Harry was almost tempted to demand proof that this was really the headmaster telling him not to lead the battle against Voldemort, not to take the ultimate stand and do as the prophecy foretold; to become the hero he was destined to be.

Something wasn’t right…and suddenly Harry had the unsettling feeling that he was being lied to.

‘Perhaps in the past I should have listened to those who suggested we should treat you as any other student who sets foot inside these walls.’ Dumbledore exhaled and sounded unnaturally old as he continued in a softer voice, his gaze not meeting Harry’s.

‘But you are special Harry, no one can deny that, especially as you’ve saved this school and others not only by offering hope when you survived the killing curse as a toddler but also in each year you spent at Hogwarts.’

‘I didn’t mean to.’ Harry defended himself even as Dumbledore was in no way accusing him of any misadventure. ‘I just had to do something. I had to stop him.’

‘I am well aware of this, Harry.’ Dumbledore sighed.

‘I merely wished that you did not have to receive further pain as a consequence for doing the rightfully brave thing. That is why this year I decided to give you a more normal school year and allow your mind to drift not to Death Eaters and fighting, but instead to homework and enjoying your time with any number of friends.’

‘That concept didn’t work last year.’ Harry pointed out.

‘No, it did not.’ Dumbledore agreed. ‘However, I have learned from such an error of judgment and adapted to simply letting this unfold as they may.’

‘You’re doing nothing?’ Harry gasped. ‘But what about Voldemort, the Order, and the war?’

‘Relax, dear boy!’ Dumbledore raised a hand to calm him. ‘That is all being taken care of.’ He nodded.

‘Now if you please, it is almost time for breakfast and I feel quite ready for a good feed before I start the day.’ He smiled and walked Harry out of the office.

Harry stood a few feet from the gargoyle as he watched the headmaster walk out of sight as the usual joyfully wise man he was known to be. Harry knew that look though; the one he had been given during their discussion…the headmaster was lying to him in effort only to protect him from further danger and responsibilities.

Turning, Harry spotted blackness at the end of the corridor and for a brief moment reverted back to his usual instinct of flinching when he saw Snape approaching him. Until he remembered that Snape was in the Order, Snape was a supposed Death Eater, and someone who knew Dumbledore quite well.

Was this how things were going to be now? For Harry to seek Snape for more answers than he ever could from Dumbledore or anyone else? Who were his true friends and which ones were mere allies; Harry wasn’t so sure anymore.

‘Potter.’ Severus narrowed his eyes at him and was about to comment on how it was unusual to see him wandering the castle so early, but wasn’t given the chance to say a single word further.

‘Sir, I need to ask you something important.’ Harry glanced around for eavesdroppers, something Severus quickly noticed.

Narrowing his eyes with suspicion, he placed a privacy charm around them and inclined his head to the odd Gryffindor.

‘Go on.’ He encouraged.

‘How are things going with the war?’ Harry asked.

Severus raised his gaze past the boy to observe the gargoyle in the background and his mind began to work with the facts he was presented with. Instead of dismissing the boy, he took the matter quite seriously as he glanced back down and replied.

‘It would be assumed that should someone such as yourself desire information regarding the war then one would simply approach the headmaster.’ Severus said.

They each knew he was referring to the fact that Dumbledore is more likely to tell Harry anything he should know.

‘I presume he has denied your request and therefore rather than respecting the decision of a capable adult, you have begun meddling for answers elsewhere?’

‘He did something worse.’ Harry frowned back and fought back the urge to react to the insults.

‘He lied to me. See!’ He pointed as even Snape had not been able to contain his surprise quick enough for Harry not to notice it.  ‘Even you agree it’s strange.’

‘That the headmaster delivered you false information in the fallible effort to keep you out of trouble? Hardly,’ Severus rolled his eyes. ‘I am merely interested in the fact that you would be able to spot such a lie distributed by an expertly experienced manipulator and leader such as Albus Dumbledore.’

‘I see it all the time.’ Harry shrugged and didn’t understand what the big deal was.

‘Hermione lies to Ron about how hard an assignment is otherwise he won’t do it until right before the lesson. Hagrid lies about the danger of the creatures in his class because he wants us to like them and understand them just as he does. Neville lies about the amount of effort he puts into his work because he fears that he won’t meet expectations if anyone knew.’ Harry revealed as Severus listened intently, unable to believe what the boy was saying and the ease in which the Gryffindor could not only spot a lie but fully comprehend the reasoning behind it.

‘McGonagall lies about how serious she takes rule-breaking because she doesn’t want to encourage it and also it wouldn’t go too well if anyone thought her not capable of handling any situation. Trelawney lies about some of her predictions because she doesn’t want people to think she hasn’t got enough talent in the subject she teaches. Draco lies about being so hateful to everyone because it’s how he was raised. And Dumbledore, Mrs Weasley, Remus, and Slughorn constantly lie about loads of stuff because they think I’m safer not knowing; that if I don’t know something than I’ll let it go and move on to not give a damn about what’s happening out there!’ Harry snapped as he let off a little steam.

‘Maybe it wasn’t my right to know about the Philosopher’s Stone, or the Chamber of Secrets, but I have to face him and how can I have any ideas how to do that if no one tells me anything!’

Giving the boy a moment to calm himself, Severus crossed his arms and stared down at the Gryffindor as he spoke.

‘And pray tell, who informed you that it was your duty alone in which to face the Dark Lord, Mr Potter?’

‘Dumbledore,’ Harry answered. ‘You know that.’

‘Yet Dumbledore has equipped you with neither the knowledge nor tools in which should enable you to do so.’ Severus reasoned.

‘He’s different somehow.’ Harry added. ‘Dumbledore always wanted me to take a stand and now he’s suddenly telling me to have a normal year and that I’ve done enough. And all this has happened right after what went on at the Ministry…something’s not right, sir.’

‘I agree that is it unnatural, Potter.’ Severus sighed. ‘However, it is neither your concern nor your duty to trouble yourself with the decisions of others; should you require such details than there is no doubt that someone would provide you with them.’

‘I think that’s the first real lie you’ve ever told me.’ Harry scowled. ‘And it’s a load of utter rubbish.’

‘Watch. Your. Tone. Mr Potter.’ Severus growled as he glared at the annoying brat. ‘And I can hardly see how you may consider that a lie.’

‘Sirius said something about my dad before he died.’ Harry returned the expression and tone with slight effort.

‘No one will tell me anything and I have to right to know what my godfather said about my father! Tonks isn’t saying anything and Remus told me to ask you.’ He confessed; he was too annoyed to take much notice of what he was saying.

‘Since it’s involving me and my family than that contradicts what you said because no one has told me a bloody thing!’ He briefly shouted the last part as increased frustration won through.

Severus reached out and snatched the front of the teenager’s robes, startling the boy even as the Gryffindor stood firm and glared back at him with more hesitation than before.

‘You are not required to know of such possibilities and therefore I do not appreciate being called a liar.’ Severus hissed. ‘What Black said was in the form of righteous rambling in which cannot possibly hold justifiable evidence or reasonable consideration.’

‘What did he say?’ Harry asked eagerly, despite himself and the way he was currently being grasped.

‘Were you not listening?’ Severus shoved the boy away with enough force that the Gryffindor stumbled backwards although he did not fall.

‘It is none of your concern at present time. It was merely an insufferable matter involving your potential removal from the useless care of your muggles relatives.’

‘Why are you the only one who tells me anything?’ Harry pouted. ‘You hate me.’

Severus retreated a few steps as he calmed himself and stared back at the boy for a short moment.

‘I care nothing for your safety and well-being; therefore I see no need in concealing such facts in order to spare your…feelings.’

‘Now THAT is a lie,’ Harry huffed.

‘What about during my first Quidditch match with the counter-curse? Or when the werewolf was coming after us - you shielded my friends and me without hesitation. And you guarded Barty Crouch Junior at wandpoint without really being told too when it could have compromised your position with Voldemort had he found out? Why would you do all of that if not to…?’ He frowned.

 ‘I don’t believe you’d do anything just because you’re ordered to either, so don’t say it was because of Dumbledore.’

‘You are under the impression that I was about to reveal anything to you.’ Severus smirked a little.

‘My motives are none of your business and therefore you are not required to know.’ He said as he gathered his robes about him and paused to glance at the boy for a lingering moment.

‘And…I do not hate you, Mr Potter.’ Severus turned to stride away from Harry, removing he privacy charms as he did so.

‘I get it now.’ Harry whispered to himself. ‘Lies are simple and more able to control a reaction, whereas the truth is hard and raw.’

He sighed as he stared at the stone beneath his feet, deep in thought about the things he felt kept out of and those who had ever lied to him in which he’d known about.

‘But still…’ Harry stared over at the disappearing form of Snape. ‘I’d take the painful truth over a blissful lie any day. Lies don’t protect anyone, less of all me.’

‘I agree.’ A voice said nearby and Harry spun around to see Draco Malfoy leaning against a wall just around the corner.

‘Don’t fret, Potter…I only heard your little muttering after Professor Snape had already left.’ He smirked at the panicked look on the Gryffindor’s face.

‘What is it this time, Malfoy?’ Harry frowned.

‘You want the truth?’ Draco approached him with a serious yet amused expression. ‘I can help you there.’

‘Oh yeah?’ Harry scoffed. ‘And you expect me to believe that? Besides, why would you even care?’

‘Who said anything about caring?’ Draco snorted. ‘Are all Gryffindors are as dim-witted as you? I’m not offering to become your spy or messenger; I merely thought you’d like to know a few things no one else is telling you.’

‘Why?’ Harry repeated.

‘What sort of things?’ He couldn’t help it as no one else was letting him in on anything he should know and if Draco knew even the smallest extra detail, than he had to hear him out.

Although he didn’t think he could take the Slytherin’s word for it.

‘Easy there, you didn’t think I’d do this for free, did you?’ Draco rolled his eyes.

‘Forget it.’ Harry turned to leave, convinced that anything his would-be rival asked of him wouldn’t be worth something that may be true.

‘Suit yourself, Potter.’ Draco sounded a bit annoyed by the refusal. ‘I don’t make the same offer twice and this may save your life.’

Turning on the spot, Harry glared at the Slytherin and shook his head.

‘Look, either you tell me what it is or I’ll be on my way. I don’t have time to listen to your list of demands for something that may not even be true. You still haven’t told me why you’re even offering to tell me, if it really is anything.’

Draco approached him with a smirk, seeing this as a sign of wavering on Harry’s behalf.

‘I know a few things that could help you survive in this bloody war, or at least not drop dead in the first second. All I ask in return is a little bit of information.’

‘Why do you want me to live?’ Now Harry was very confused and suspicious. ‘Aren’t you on his side? I know your parents are Death Eaters, Draco.’ He scowled and then paused.

‘What information?’

‘I didn’t say anything about you winning, did I?’ Draco rolled his eyes.

‘I want to know now to get into the Chamber of Secrets and where the entrance is; it’s only fitting, seeing as I’m Slytherin and you’re not.’ He straightened and tugged at his collar to adjust it.

 ‘I don’t expect you to let up on those details for free either, which is the only reason I’m making this offer at all.’

‘And how do I know you’re telling the truth?’ Harry said slowly.

‘You can research it, or at least ask Granger to as it seems to be all she’s good for.’ He sneered.

‘Well? Do we have an accord?’ Draco held out his hand in a manner that mirrored their first real interaction when he’d offered his hand of friendship to Harry, only to be declined back in their first year.

Harry stared at the extended hand for a moment and thought upon his options. If it was indeed something that could be researched than perhaps it could be checked upon and all in exchange for giving the Slytherin access to a place previously only he could enter. It might be useful later and if Harry allowed the son of Death Eaters to know how to get in then it’s refuge possibility would be dashed.

‘Look.’ Draco moved his hand to pull up the sleeve of his left arm, revealing nothing but bare skin.

‘No Dark Mark.’

‘Not yet at least.’ Harry frowned back although he had been expecting to see the Mark branded there upon the blonde’s forearm.

‘And how about if you tell me now than I’ll let you know how to get into the Chamber of Secrets after the war? That way I can check you’re telling the truth and you won’t use it for your own purpose.’

He had expected Draco to decline right away and start insulting him as per usual; instead the other boy chuckled and rolled his eyes.

‘It’s not that bloody important, the chamber, I mean.’ He thought about it for a moment and nodded.

‘Alright, that ought to be the agreement on one condition. You make the Unbreakable Vow. This is assuming you actually live through the war, so really I may never know the easy way of getting what I want; I think you’re getting the better end of the deal.’

Harry did not like the idea of making such a magically binding arrangement with Draco Malfoy, and yet the blonde seemed serious if he was willing to go that far.

Pondering his choices, Harry nodded.

‘Fine.’

‘It’s settled then, Potter.’ Draco smirked. ‘I’ll send you an owl with the details. I know you’re likely to go blabbing to Weasley and Granger about this so at least make sure no one else hears of it, understand?’

‘I know how to keep a secret, Draco.’ Harry frowned.

‘Yeah, I’d say.’ Draco said cryptically as he turned and strode off in the opposite direction that Snape had minutes earlier.

As Harry turned and left the corridor, heading in the direction of the Great Hall, he wondered if he had just agreed to something that could end very badly…it could all be a really big mistake.

Chapter End Notes:
With the reminder of Voldemort ebbing into the plot once again...you can be sure that the end of Harry's 6th year is going to be quite dramatic. Although, I'm not entirely sure how the Death Eaters could get into the castle without Draco...any ideas?
Please review!