Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Some have been wondering on the S.J.E, in here it shall be answered. Also a little more of Snape's perception will be added from this chapter forward, just as planned.

Also, I feel I should add a disclaimer on certain aspects. This fic is being partially guided by the 6th book, however 90% of it all will be modified or erased (it's mostly used for classes and general events). If you haven't read the 6th book recently than you're unlikely to even noticed unless you've got every word memorized :P. I just thought I should let you know that every now and again there will be parts that are nearly exactly quoted from J.K's work, which obviously I do not own.
The Existence of Advantage
It was early morning and breakfast was yet to begin. While his unknown sons slept in the Gryffindor tower, Severus Snape ventured down a corridor and paused to face the gargoyle that guarded the entrance to the headmaster's office.

'Which idiotic password has the old fool established this time?' Severus muttered under his breath. He had not been listening the previous night when Dumbledore informed the rest of the staff of his newest password and therefore Severus had no choice other than to attempt a guess.

'Acid pops?' Severus tried the first option that came to mind and was impressed when the gargoyle moved to allow access.

'Good morning, Severus.' Dumbledore was sitting behind his desk when he glanced over to casually greet his visitor.

'I was under the impression that you wished to see me, headmaster?' Severus stepped further into the room as he spoke. His appearances were as deceiving as always and gave away little indication towards the fact that he knew exactly what the forced discussion was to be about; Severus had been expecting it for a little over a week now.

'Please have seat, Severus.' Dumbledore sighed.

'I would rather stand.' Severus replied and crossed his arms over his chest defensively.

'Very well.' Dumbledore rose and stared at Severus for a long moment. When he spoke, his tone was even and light, yet Severus easily noticed the underlining hint of seriousness in the older man's eyes.

'I was recently visited by a rather disgruntled former-Hufflepuff yesterday evening,' Dumbledore exhaled.

'Miss Tonks believed you to be, I quote: “a sour, uncompromising dungeon snake that can't see nor reason with anything right in front of him unless it dresses up like a cauldron of spit”, quite a unique description, if I might add.' Dumbledore chuckled momentarily while Severus clenched his fists and scowled.

'Get to the point, old man!' Severus growled and regretted not deducting more house points from Tonks when he'd had the chance. Given her record for creative trouble, even he believed that Lupin was a perfect match for her. Damn those shape-changing troublemakers that made his life even less tolerable!

'In addition to ranting several more names than I could ever recall being used in a single sentence – I believe she even made up a few – Miss Tonks referred to a rather, shall we say “dramatic”, quarrel between yourself and Remus prior to an Order meeting a week ago?'

Severus also considered Marauders to be hypocrites at times; with all the trouble they caused, they were pretty quick to squeal on others. Didn't want to lose their top title, no doubt.

'Severus?' Dumbledore frowned when the Slytherin didn't offer any response. 'Do you intend to shed light on the situation?'

'As Miss Tonks has so rudely informed you of, headmaster, I am but a dungeon snake and therefore I insist against the usage of light in any form.' Severus cared nothing for how childish he sounded; anything to avoid the real discussion was fine with him.

'Your sense of humor shows up at the most unexpected and inconvenient of times.' Dumbledore sighed.

'I'm not laughing.' Severus huffed.

'No, that would truly be a miracle to behold.' Dumbledore commented.

'However, this issue must be addressed immediately, Severus. There are far more serious concerns for yourself, Miss Tonks and Mr Lupin to be discussing – Voldemort is gaining more followers and power by the day.'

'Are you so foolish to imply that I am unaware of this?' Severus snarled. 'I do not see Lupin being constantly cursed inside the Dark Lord's inner circle, nor could Tonks possibly be able to comprehend the magnitude of the First Wizarding War!'

'And yet it is you who refuses to speak of the matter in which occurred only a week ago.' Dumbledore said quietly.

The headmaster waited for Severus to calm himself before he continued; Dumbledore considered this to be a wise move, if the look on the other man's face was anything to go by.

'And quite remarkably – given their frustrations in the matter – neither Remus nor Tonks provided any proper detail towards the actual concern or occurrence in which had elevated into that duel.'

Severus was no fool. He knew that statements of truth such as “it's a private matter”, and “none of anyone's business”, would be a waste of breath; Dumbledore had likely already prepared a reasonable list of responses to each.

'I made a comment towards Black's unreliability in which several reacted unfavorably towards.' Severus answered.

'If that were the case than you would not be demonstrating such avoidance upon discussing the matter,' Dumbledore nodded wisely. 'Severus?'

There had been many times in Severus' life (such as this moment), in which he truly wished to either silence the old man or else obliviate him. In any other situation with any other person, threats, blackmail, shouting, a few particular spells, and scowls were all he would need to convince them to either leave him alone or let him stalk right out of the space in which contained their presence.

None of these were effective against Dumbledore; it was a tested and proven fact in which Severus strongly despised.

He wished for nothing more than another member of the staff to enter the room and demand Dumbledore's presence. Even an incident involving Gryffindors once again causing trouble would please him immensely.

No such rescue came and therefore Severus slowly and reluctantly began to accept the fact that there would be no escape. Further irritated by this and yet still unwilling to speak of the events that had brought them to this point of discussion, Severus raised his wand to his left temple where he extracted a strand of memory.

Dumbledore, having noticed what the other man was doing, summoned a pensieve for Severus to dispose of his recollection. In doing so, he ignored the utter loathing and pure dread that formed Severus' scowl.

Severus stepped back and watched the liquid of the stone bowl for a seemingly long moment before he replaced his wand and crossed his arms over his chest once again. He had zero intention of entering the memory as he had no desire whatsoever to re-live it.

Severus etched further away as the the mere sight of the pensieve caused him obvious pain when, with one final glance in his direction, Dumbledore leaned forward to view the memory of that mentioned night.


Even as Harry slowly opened his eyes to stare upwards at the canopy of his bed, the images of the nightmare that had just woken him, lingered in his mind. He saw the flash of green and than Sirius falling away from him, slipping and fading...over, and over again.

A burning pain formed inside him and in accordance to his recently conditioned habits, Harry instantly searched for a distraction.

Once his glasses had been placed over his eyes and the blankets were kicked aside, Harry pulled open his curtains with more force than necessary. He was relieved to notice that he and a snoring Ron were the only ones left in the dormitory.

Crouching on the smooth floor of the room, Harry smiled at the sight of Toby. The small boy was curled on his side under a thin layer of red and blue blankets; he faced Harry as he contentedly slumbered in complete unawareness.

'Toby?' Harry nudged the boy awake.

'What?' Toby sleepily sat upright and rubbed his eyes. He clothes were ruffled and his hair a mess, but it was the unmistakable sound of footsteps by the open doorway in which caused Harry to pause.

Carefully peering over the side of his mattress, Harry exhaled with relief when he saw Hermione standing there with her hands on her hips as she stared at the snoring Ron Weasley.

While she moved to wake Ron and reminded them of how important their day was, Harry made sure Toby had showered and than dressed in his new clothes; a red t-shirt, dark brown pants, and his personally-selected black Hogwarts-like robes. He and Toby also took turns at trying to comb the younger boy's hair but, like Harry's, it only obeyed one particular style.

Once Hermione had left (she'd given Toby some food in which she had taken from the Great Hall – this was the real reason for her unannounced entrance earlier), Ron and Harry got changed into their Gryffindor uniforms and prepared themselves for their first official day as sixth year students.

'Just stay hidden and I'll be back as soon as I can, okay?' Harry reassured Toby.

'Okay.' Toby nodded nervously. He quickly embraced Harry around the teenager's middle before the small boy crawled back under his bed to eat his food and read his book.

'You sure he'll be okay?' Ron wondered as they turned to leave the dormitory and head downstairs for breakfast.

'I hope so.' Harry worried.

'Maybe Hermione can find a really good invisibility spell and the kid can stay with us?'Ron mused in effort to boost his friend's mood, even a little.

'It's a bit risky.' Harry answered as he glanced sideways at his trying-to-be-helpful best friend. 'Maybe.'

Although the idea did have appeal because with a spell (as opposed to the cloak), Toby wouldn't be restricted to just one small section underneath Harry's bed. Instead the boy could have the entire dormitory to himself while the others were away at meals and classes.

It was certainly worth looking into because Harry knew how unfair and miserable it could be to be limited to a small area of space for a great length of time. In addition to that he also knew how unhappy he'd been to rely on stealth and luck to get even small amounts of food and how using the bathroom had to be on a sort of schedule, not when he needed to use it. Harry hadn't been able to just go outside and play like most children his age had...it wasn't the best way to grow up, he was sure.

Even so, knowing what that was like gave him a stronger motivation to make sure Toby never experienced it. He knew exactly what those things were like and over the years he'd come to realize how unfair they had been; thanks to the Dursleys and the cupboard under the stairs, who had turned an otherwise potentially content situation into a ruined childhood.

Harry refused to take Toby's freedom away like that.

--

After eating, the Gryffindors remained in their seats as McGonagall checked who was cleared to take the classes they had wanted before she was able to hand out their timetables. Harry and Ron's “Exceeds Expectations” grades were good enough for Professor Slughorn's Potions class; under that consideration, everything worked out quite well for them.

Hermione had already left for Ancient Runes and since the boys did not want to begin their research task without her assistance, they decided to head back to the Gryffindor tower. They were delayed to the dormitory by several Quidditch hopefuls and a group of giggling girls; it took Harry and Ron at least ten minutes to get around them all without being demonstratively rude.

As they ascended the stairs and turned to enter their still-vacant dormitory, there was utter stillness and complete silence.

'Toby?' Harry's chest tightened with worry that was only resolved by the appearance of the boy.

'I wasn't sure if was you.' Toby shrugged. Even so, he was certainly happy to see them and instantly approached the pair with a delighted smile on his face.

'Good thinking.' Harry nodded. It had just occurred to him that, naturally, the boy would only be able to see a persons shoes from his position underneath the bed. 'And we have a bit of free time.' He added.

'We have free period after break and lunch too!' Ron reminded Harry with a grin.

'Yeah, um...Ron?' Harry fished some writing equipment from his trunk as he spoke. 'Could you stay here with Toby for a while? There's something I have to do and I don't know how long it'll take,' He said seriously. 'It's important and I need complete silence. I wouldn't ask you otherwise.'

'What is it?' Ron wondered. 'But sure, mate.'

'I'll explain later!' Harry called over his shoulder as he dashed from the room without a glance back. He hoped he could keep that promise to Ron , but Harry really wasn't ready to share the Snape-based side of his plans with either of his best friends yet. Such as the letters he was exchanging with their professor and the fact that Toby may be the man's son.

Reaching the Room of Requirement, he thought on a place to focus and write, which resulted in an office-like room with a warm fireplace, several rows of bookshelves and a large, fully-equipped writing desk.

Sitting in the comfortably wooden chair, Harry slowly began to compose a reply to Snape's letter.

 

Professor Snape,

It is not my lack of knowledge that might make it difficult to answer my brother's questions, but rather because I don't want to risk providing incorrect or incomplete answers. A man of your obvious education and skill would surely not make that mistake.

As a NEWT student, I intend to use all of my free time to study and therefore I believe it we'd almost be equally busy this year. Having said that, it only takes a short moment to ask a question and just as momentarily to answer it.

 

Harry hated how it seemed as though he was complimenting the spiteful man, but the comments about Snape's skill was no lie. A lie was what Harry had told by mentioning how he planned to use all of his free time that year. He couldn't tell Snape how he had to care for Toby during that time as it would render his entire mission useless. Besides, a “studious nature”, was sure to earn him some respectable points with Snape, right?

Ignoring the comments/insults of the next section of Snape's letter in which was propped up against a textbook beside him (he was using it to plan his reply), Harry continued onwards to address the last bit worth answering.

 

I have deliberately ensured that my identity isn't clear to you because I believe it's the best thing to do in this sort of situation. This way I cannot be judged by what you may know about me (my house, family bloodline, or school reputation), and therefore you can remain unbiased with fair expectations involving our communicational exchanges.

Harry read that paragraph repetitively as he had to make sure it sounded like a justifiable enough reason not to reveal who he was. What would Snape think if he knew it was Harry Potter to whom he was writing to? It would also raise those awful questions such as, “what little brother?”, or “is a six-year-old how you consider yourself to excuse your poor lack of skill?”.

Harry shuddered at the thought.

He was about to sign his response letter and apply the handwriting spell, when he suddenly felt that the letter was incomplete and yet he had said everything he felt compelled to.

With a sigh, Harry lifted his black-inked quill once again and pondered on what to add to the end of his letter.

Also, as it was announced the previous night that you no longer teach Potions, I would still prefer to hear the answers from you. I am unfamiliar with Professor Slughorn and whilst I don't doubt his capability, I remain convinced that you are the best person which could provide the answers my brother seeks.

I understand that you are busy and therefore I thank you for taking the time to consider my offer. I do hope you'll agree to help us out.

S.J.E

With a heavy sigh, Harry leaned back in his chair and hated the unwelcome sense of betrayal towards Sirius that he felt whenever he sickeningly sounded respectable or appreciative of the foul git, Snape.

He loathed the dungeon bat and yet his writing failed to reflect it.

As Harry finalized the letter and folded it twice, he pondered on the secret identity he had chosen for himself. There were a lot of people in his life that he cared about, but it was only the three that were no longer there in which he loved the most. He had many friends but those three were his real family; his parents and godfather. Because of that his “new name”, had to relate to each of them.

Anything ending in “P” was far too obvious and therefore a brilliant idea had come to mind; Evans had been his mother's surname before she'd married James Potter.

And so he became Sirius James Evans; S.J.E.

With a surge of accomplishment, Harry was certain that Snape was yet to figure it out and that only solidified how the invention of his disguised name was a perfect choice.

Harry glanced at the clock on a nearby wall and saw that he still had some time before his next lesson in which would, ironically, be Defense Against the Dark Arts...with Snape. He may have dropped Divination but it didn't take a seer to know that something was going to happen; trouble always arose when he and Snape were involved.

For the sake of the civilized letters and Toby's education as well as safety, Harry knew he could not let his anger get a hold of him as it usually did around certain Slytherins. And that meant he had to find a way to deal with Snape.

Turning to look at the bookshelves in the room around him, Harry examined the titles of the ancient leather-bound books; although he hardly considered to find “A Gryffindor's Guide to Dealing with Slytherin Gits”, to be amongst his choices.

His fingertips brushed over each leather spine until they paused on a very particular book. A shiver coursed through Harry as he was certain that the dust-covered book was likely to belong in the restricted section of the library. Even so, from what he could read of its description on the back...it might be exactly what Harry needed.

With that small sense of anticipation, “A Wizard's Guide to His Own Mind and How to Empower it', came down from the shelf. Harry intended to begin reading it immediately.

--

When Harry finally left the Room of Requirement with the book safely tucked away in his bag, he already had an understanding of the first three chapters. It would enable him to mentally focus and therefore heighten his control over his own reactions that strayed from any task at hand.

Harry only hoped it would work whenever he had to deal with Snape or even Malfoy, because if it didn't...he doubted anything else would.


After a quick trip to the owlery, Harry hurried along the corridors of the castle and climbed the stairs, on his way to the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom. He found Ron and Hermione waiting for him amongst the queue outside the room.

'Made it!' Harry gasped with intense relief. And not a second too late as the door opened to reveal Snape's angered form. His eyes trailed over the heads of the sixth-year students that had made it into his NEWT class, before he stepped out of the doorway and addressed them with a stern tone.

'Inside.' He told them and only a few hesitated to do so.

As everyone took their seats, Severus moved to stand behind his desk to face each of them. His gaze lingered on Harry for a mere fraction of a second longer than the rest.

When Snape spoke again, Harry lifted his gaze to pay close attention to what the man was saying as the teenager patiently waited to strike. Harry had thought of trying something to test what he had read in that useful book, and the best way to do that was not to avoid Snape but rather to not dread facing him. “Speak to Snape only when questioned or insulted”, was not going to teach Harry much control nor would it give him a chance to analyze exactly how much work he had to do.

It was time to take perhaps the greatest risk of all.

'...you are, I believe, complete novices in the use of non-verbal spells.' Severus said. 'What is the advantage of a non-verbal spell?'

As everyone had expected, Hermione's hand shot into the air as though she would gain extra points for her speed. And upon consideration of the question asked, Harry slowly raised his hand as well; the stunned expressions on his classmates faces (as well as Ron and Hermione's), were nowhere near as comical as the momentary one on Snape's.

'Mr Potter?' Severus slowly permitted the boy the chance to provide an attempted answer.

Harry lowered his hand and exhaled to calm his nerves. He thought about the term “non-verbal”, and considered it to be rather self-explanatory. Even so, he'd never really thought that those types of spells were very possible to achieve.

'Um, well...' Harry forced himself to face Snape's narrowed gaze. 'Since you don't say the incantation than your opponent won't know which spell is being used, right?' He answered.

Harry thought about some of his own experiences as he spoke and even forgot whose question he was actually answering, even as his determined emerald eyes stared back at Snape's curious obsidian ones.

'In a duel, you would want to know what spells you're being attacked with because not all spells can be blocked.' Harry swallowed as he thought of the killing curse in which had taken his parents and godfather from him.

'But if your opponent doesn't know what spell you use than it gives you the chance to catch them unprepared and therefore, you'd have the advantage.' Harry concluded and felt very proud of himself.

'Although, if both know how to cast spells without saying the incantations than you've got to rely on body language...in which case you're probably doomed.' Harry added with a sigh; a few of his classmates (even an occasional Slytherin), chuckled at that.

'As astonishing as it may be, Mr Potter is correct.' It seemed to cause Snape great pain to say those words. He frowned further and even as he proceeded with the lesson, Harry could still identify the surprised and almost pleased expression in the usually scowling man's eyes.

'Non-verbal incantations enables a caster to gain the element of surprise in their spell-casting.' Severus continued. 'Not all wizards can do this, of course; it is a question of concentration and mind power in which some,' He stared at Harry again, 'Lack.'

And yet as he gave the students their instructions to split into pairs and attempt to jinx/repel, Severus had no way of knowing that this is exactly what Harry had hoped for.

It was the perfect chance to try his new focusing tips and with the lingering pressure of Snape, it could not be a better setting.

Harry raised his wand and watched Ron carefully although he could tell that, like many of their classmates, Ron was going to try and cheat by whispering the incantations instead.

The only useful mind is one clean of distractions. Anger is a fire that smokes out rational thought. Hesitation is a second wasted and a chance not taken. Doubt is as much your enemy as over-confidence.

Do not cease your thoughts, merely focus them upon a single goal: to succeed.

Harry recalled that section of his book in which had solidified his faith in the reading material, and had already begun to try it. He stared hard at Ron's wand and ignored the angering presence of a sneering Snape, the hesitation about dueling his friend, and the doubt in his own ability.

And therefore, the moment Ron's wand moved even the slightest, Harry was ready.

Expelliarmus!” Harry thought in his mind with everything he had. His eyes widened with surprise as Ron's wand flew out of his hand and Harry was able to snatch it from where it had landed at his feet.

'Pathetic, Weasley.' Naturally, instead of complimenting Harry, Snape had insulted Ron. The man stepped in front of Harry with the obvious intention of being his next opponent.

Before Harry could prepare himself or think of a spell, Snape's wand had moved quicker than a snitch. In the time space of mere seconds, the bespectacled “chosen one”, found himself lying flat on his back in an undignified manner.

Harry didn't know what spell Snape had used but it was obvious he had lost against it.

Returning to his feet, Harry fought to ignore the Slytherins laughter as the anger he was trying to overcome began to bubble inside him. He clenched his wand and glared at his smug professor, yet not a word passed Harry's lips.

'How'd you do it, Harry?' Ron demanded to know as they headed to their break a short time later.

'Hermione did it too.' Harry shrugged. 'And so what? Bloody Snape tried to jinx me and I did nothing!' Now free from the classroom and the foul man that taught inside it, Harry let his annoyances loose.

'I had enough of that during those Occlumency lessons! I couldn't stop that either.'

'You answered that question too.' Ron added while Hermione “hmphed”, beside them.

'So what?' Harry dismissed the praise from his redheaded friend. 'What's Dumbledore playing at, anyway, letting that git teach Defense? Did you hear him talk about the Dark Arts? He-'

'Harry,' Hermione interrupted him. 'To be honest, he sounded a lot like you.'

'Whatever, I'm going to check on Toby.' Harry refused to hear why Hermione thought he and Snape sounded anything alike regarding any matter at all; he was just too furious to argue right now.

Harry strode into the dormitory located in the Gryffindor tower and checked that it was vacant before he called the little boy he had already become accustomed to having around whenever he was given the chance.

'You're back!' An evidentially bored Toby emerged from under the bed and dusted off his robes, despite the obvious cleanness of its appearance.

'Put the cloak on.' Harry told him. 'You can come to the library with us if you promise to be careful.'

'Oh, boy!' Toby's eyes lit up with excitement as he snatched the cloak from under his pillow and pulled it on.

'I promise, Harry!'

'What's going on?' Ron asked as he and Hermione had just stepped into the common room when Harry strode forward in his intention to leave it.

'We're going to the library as we agreed, to find a way to make this work.' Harry gestured to the space where Toby was.

His friends nodded and followed after Harry as he was a Gryffindor on a mission. Snape could insult him, jinx him, give him detentions, and take points...but under no circumstance was Harry going to let him snatch Toby away.

That was one battle Harry refused to lose.

Chapter End Notes:
Your comments not only motivate faster updates and further writing, but also provide key reactions and reminders/ideas in which assist the story. Every review is a helpful review, plus they make me very happy :)
Having said that, I would really like to hear your thoughts on this.

Note: The title of this chapter refers to if any advantage may exist than it could be of great use to anyone who needs it, such as additional information, research, skill, and the will to suceed for the sake of another.