Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to "peach" for the chapter title assisance. "Solution" is far less common/repetative than "plan".
Theoretical Solution

Toby hurried along the corridor to keep up with the Gryffindor trio as they each headed towards the Hogwarts library. No matter how useful it may be, the invisibility cloak was really starting to annoy the little boy as it was far too long and became quite a hassle to use.

Yet Toby almost dropped the entire cloak onto the floor from the moment he caught sight of the library. The majestic room was filled with more books than he'd known existed; the boy was in complete awe of it all.

As the young boy's grin faded, panic began to settle in when Toby looked around in every direction and yet did not recognize a single student that surrounded him. Turning on the spot, he searched relentlessly for Hermione's bushy hair or Ron's redheadedness and found neither. He had lost Harry.

Toby stepped backwards and was terrified. The grand room was far too big and he could not be seen nor heard. To the boy, the rows upon rows of bookshelves became maze walls, the tables were slumbering beasts, and the students had darkened as they grew an extra five feet in height. As small and vulnerable as Toby felt, he was still able to contain his gasp when a shadow loomed over him, further freezing him to the spot.

All he could do was stare wide-eyed upwards at the approaching figure.

--

'Harry, what's wrong?' Hermione asked as she lifted a thick book from the shelf and noticed that her friend appeared to be quite anxious.

'He's gone.' Harry swallowed.

'Who?'

'Toby.' Ron answered as Harry dashed off to locate the child. 'Stay here in case he shows up.' He added to her as he decided to help Harry.

'Any luck, mate?'

'Nothing.' Harry frowned. 'You go that way and I'll look over here.' He pointed in the direction they'd arrived from.

His gaze trailed over every possible space in which could hide a child. But with the cloak of invisibility over the boy, how was Harry actually supposed to find Toby?

'Hi, Harry.' Someone spoke to him and he quickly turned to see both Ginny and Luna greeting him. Not wanting to raise suspicion, he turned towards them and tried his best to look friendly.

'How did you survive your OWLs?' Ginny huffed as she held a pile of books in her arms.

'The same as always,' Harry replied. 'Luck.'

'Hello, Harry.' Luna stepped forward and held out her spectrospecs. 'You should try these; they're very good for finding invisible creatures.' She smiled airily at him.

Harry lowered his gaze to the glasses and wondered if Luna could read minds. Maybe she had picked up on his frantic heartbeat...or perhaps it was mere co-incidence and Luna was just being Luna? Unlikely, considering that she knew about Toby.

'Sure, thanks.' Harry took them from her and placed them over his own glasses as he began to scan the room with a new perspective.

He would never doubt the Quibbler again because, miraculously, it worked; there was one section in which was obviously different and more magical than the rest. And it was at the right height for Toby. The trouble was that the boy was standing motionless on the spot directly behind Madam Pince, who was sorting through several books in mid-air with her wand.

'Thanks again, Luna.' Harry tossed the glasses back to her.

'That's quite alright.' She smiled. 'Did you find what you were looking for?'

'Er, yes.' He nodded. 'Oh and I never got to apologize for the points Snape took from you as well; it was my fault you stayed behind to walk with me.' He had felt a bit guilty about that even if it had been out of his control.

'Don't worry, Harry.' Luna replied. 'We Ravenclaws are rather smart, you know. We can earn those points back.'

'Right, well...um, Ron and Hermione are waiting for me so I'd better go.' He nodded and hurried towards where he knew Toby was.

The sound of Ginny saying, “Harry, wait! ”, caught the attention of the librarian. She turned to stare at the two teenagers not with an expression of irritation, but one of shock. Of course, she knew who they were (especially considering that they were OWL and NEWT students), and yet it was as though she was seeing each of them for the first time.

How had she not noticed it before?

Irma Pince, as she now called herself, stared at the conversing teenagers and yet she did not see Harry and Ginny...she saw Severus and Lily.

'Oof!' Harry winced when he felt Toby collide against him.

'Are you okay?' Ginny looked at him oddly.

'Yeah, I'm fine.' Harry nodded as he did feel considerably calmer now that Toby was once again within his protective reach. The small boy had latched himself onto Harry for a moment and than moved to stand beside him as he stared at Ginny nervously; the boy didn't know who she was, or if Harry was going to be angry at him for getting lost.

'I'm just not sure about the DA yet so I'll have to get back to you on that.' Harry turned the moment he had finished speaking and quickly sought out his friends to let them know he had found Toby.

Ginny watched after him and shook her head with an inaudible sigh; the trio had certainly been acting rather weird since they got back to Hogwarts.

--

After quite a stressful delay, the three Gryffindor friends were able to properly research how to achieve their seemingly impossible situation with Toby. However, when Hermione had to leave the boys when their break had ended (she had to get to her Arithmancy class), they still hadn't made any actual progress.

'This is hopeless!' Ron complained in a tone not quite loud enough to capture the attention of the librarian, who had been lingering nearby for a reason unknown to the boys; it didn't help them either as her constant presence only made them further anxious.

So far all they had was a few books on concealment charms and the laws of magical custody.

'If only I was seventeen.' Harry grumbled as he eyed the law books with resentfulness.

'Or had a ton of money.' Ron muttered under his breath.

Before Harry had the chance to question how money could help him, there was a pop and he was suddenly staring at a pair of large eyes.

'Hello, Harry Potter.' Dobby smiled at him. 'Dobby is most pleased to see you, sir. Dobby is finding Harry Potter to deliver him a message from Albus Dumbledore.' The house-elf proudly announced.

'Oh, er...what's the message?' Harry swallowed as he was still recovering from the abrupt appearance of the elf.

'I thought you didn't have a master?' Ron watched the creature. Dobby seemed to be following orders as though he did, in fact, have a master telling him to do so.

'Dobby is a free elf but Dobby is also being paid, sir, to help Albus Dumbledore when he needs it.' The elf answered Ron before he turned back to Harry with his usual idolizing gaze.

'Dobby is to be telling Harry Potter that Albus Dumbledore wants to see Harry Potter in his office. Dobby is to be taking Harry Potter there now, sir.'

'Right.' Harry glanced apologetically at Ron who would be left with the researching task on his own. He made a move to leave put paused when he noticed the oddly-formed expression of achievement on his friend's face.

'Harry, that's it!' Ron exclaimed quickly and shoved the book he had been reading over to Harry.

After peeking a glance at the title (The Art of Childminding in the Magical Community), Harry began to read the short passage in which Ron had eagerly pointed out to him:

There are, of course, further options available to a far wealthier witch or wizard who wishes the be free of the stress in which arises when one is faced with raising a child whilst handling a busy schedule. Although, it is more common in long renown and ancient bloodlines, it is indeed a very considerable suggestion. It is also highly recommended by those who already use it.

Since the purchase of a house-elf has many household advantages, one of their possible duties also befall to childminding. They are excellent at supervising and providing to the child's needs for any length of time as per their given instructions. They are capable of each daily task in which is required for any young witch of wizard, such as: feeding, bathing, dressing, grooming, educating (to your specifications, of course), occupying, and even training.

Harry stopped reading and turned to stare at Dobby, who had been glancing over his shoulder with curiosity.

'Is this true, Dobby?' Harry longed for a confirmation.

'Dobby is most agreed, sir.' The elf nodded, his bat-like ears flapping as he did so.

'I don't suppose Kreacher would be a reliable choice.' Harry sighed. 'I don't think I should use all of my gold on this either, though.' He glanced at the crestfallen Ron. 'It was a great plan...it's just not going to work for me.'

'Dobby could do it, sir.' The house-elf smiled as he looked directly at Toby as though the child wasn't even wearing the cloak of invisibility. He wasn't even bothered by the warily distrustful yet interested stare the boy cast back in return.

'But you work for Dumbledore.' Harry said. 'And I'm not your master, although I would still pay you for it if I was.'

'Than Dobby could have Harry Potter as his new master.' The elf's eyes brimmed with hopeful tears.

'You'd still be free in a way, but I suppose it's possible.' Harry shrugged as he was desperate to figure out a solid plan for Toby. This was too perfect of an option to pass up.

'Dobby agrees, sir. But Dobby will have to bond with Harry Potter later as you is to see Albus Dumbledore now.'

'Right, come on.' Harry nudged Toby.

They followed Dobby out of the library and towards the stone gargoyle that guarded the entrance to the headmaster's office. They'd left Ron behind to put the books away but the redhead didn't mind as he had to get a start on Snape's seemingly unachievable homework, anyhow.

'Acid pops.' Dobby said he password and watched as Harry helped the invisible Toby onto spiraling stairs before the elf was able to pop away.

As the two boys stepped into the office, Harry instantly regretted not asking Dobby or Ron to take Toby back to the Gryffindor dormitory first; especially since Harry was still in a mildly unforgiving mood with the headmaster and didn't want Toby around it things took a less-than-friendly turn.

'Good afternoon, Harry.' Dumbledore smiled at him as he descended the stairs beside his desk

'Dobby said you wanted to see me, sir?' Harry asked and suddenly felt nervous about the situation he had brought Toby and himself into.

'Yes, please have a seat.' Dumbledore gestured to the chair across from him.

'I would rather stand.' Harry answered as he shoved his hands into the pockets of his robes in a defensive manner. He glanced at the floor for a moment and shuffled his feet as he worried about what this meeting would entail.

'Very well.' Dumbledore watched him with an amused smile before he opened his mouth to speak. No words were heard however, as Nearly Headless Nick floated into the office to deliver a secretive but urgent message to the headmaster.

'I am terribly sorry, Harry, but it seems that our little chat will have to wait.' Dumbledore sighed. 'You have a class in twenty minutes and I fear that I won't be back by then. Please have a lemon drop before you leave.' He added hastily as he extracted his wand from his sleeve and departed the office after the Gryffindor ghost.

Harry glanced at the portraits and noticed that each of them were either empty or the occupant was sound asleep.

'Go on, I know you want to.' Harry gave Toby a light push towards the desk where the bowl of lemon drop candy sat atop it, surrounded by piles of parchment.

Thinking only of the treat he wanted, Toby threw off the cloak and rushed forward to grab the biggest piece of candy he could find.

A cough-like sound caught their attention and both boys turned to see that the sorting hat was siting on a stool nearby. Harry found this odd as the magical object was usually stored on a high shelf when it wasn't being used during the start-of-year feast.

'What's that old hat for?' Toby wondered as he popped the candy into his mouth with a content smile, relishing the taste of the simple lemony sugar.

'It sorts people into their houses when they wear it.' Harry answered and decided that it was time to leave.

'Toby, no!' He hissed a little too quietly as the boy ran forward and lifted the hat onto (or rather, over – given his small size), his head.

'What house am I in?' Toby whispered nervously.

'I see your cunning, child.' The hat said. 'And a thirst for knowledge in which to meet your ends.'

'Toby.' Harry insisted and yet could not bring himself to deny the boy his moment with the hat. He pocketed his hands again and fidgeted nervously as his mind swam with fears of Dumbledore returning, or some other incident in which was only likely to end terribly for them both.

'I see a desire for something you do not have.' The hat continued. 'You are no pupil here. I cannot sort you ahead of its time, child...it is too soon to declare where you truly ought to belong within these walls.'

'But pretend I was.' Toby pleaded. 'Which house would it be in?'

'You would do well in Slytherin.'

Toby had been hoping to get Gryffindor because that's where Harry was. Even so, he accepted the answer the hat had given him and returned the magical object to its stool.

Wasting no further time, Harry tossed the cloak over Toby and led the boy back to the Gryffindor tower so that he could prepare for his double Potions lesson with Slughorn.

He didn't ask Toby what the hat had said as the boy's face revealed enough of that answer; it hadn't been Gryffindor.

--

While Harry discovered the Half-Blood Prince's book in the Potions classroom, and Toby was resting under the bed in their dormitory, Dumbledore returned to his office with a confident smile and an extra twinkle in his eyes.

'Well?' The headmaster glanced up at the portrait of Phineas Nigellus Black.

'That boy has obviously never seen a painting fake sleep before.' He replied. 'But I saw the little one Nick told you about. Small kid, looks like a miniature Snape, if you ask me.'

'How did Harry treat the boy?' Dumbledore wondered intently. 'Did you hear a name for the child?'

'Toby.' Phineas sighed. 'He was hidden under that cloak and than tried on the hat. Potter was very protective of him and the boy appeared to be used to following after him.'

'Thank you.' Dumbledore nodded.

'So it's true.' The headmaster mused to himself and had every appearance of someone who already knew the bare basics what was going on. With a smile on his face and a mischievous sparkle in his eye, Dumbledore decided to let the little arrangement continue, at least until he had more information. This was an excellent opportunity.

Perhaps Dumbledore would even provide a mild dose of assistance if it was ever truly needed?


It was nearly time for dinner and Severus was heading to his quarters that remained in the dungeons where it had always been, despite his changed teaching post.

His path was crossed by Slughorn who had just been exiting the Potions classroom and immediately stopped to greet his former student and slug-club member.

'Ah Severus, m'boy!' Slughorn beamed.

'Greetings, Horace.' Severus respectfully returned and scowled at himself for nearly adding the “sir”.

'Now, I should be quite mad at you.' Slughorn said in a cheerful voice that contradicted his own words.

'When you came by during the summer to convince me to return to this teaching post, you failed to mention the exceptional brilliance one would fail to miss in a few particular students. Such as those two exceedingly bright 6th year potioneers you've taught; sheer talent!'

'Two?' Severus frowned. He knew of know-it-all Granger but not even Draco Malfoy would be outstanding enough in his skill to capture Slughorn's delighted attention.

'Why yes, Miss Granger and Mr Potter certainly know their potions.'

'Potter?' Severus gawked at his old teacher who was surely losing his touch.

'Of course, the boy clearly has Lily's talent!' Slughorn grinned. 'You must be proud to have had him in your classroom for all those years. With the flawless Draught of Living Death he brewed today; sheer perfection!'

Severus was dumbfounded to realize that Slughorn was not exaggerating.

Still, he refused to believe that Potter was as good as Slughorn said he was. Severus had seen none of that “Lily inherited”, skill in which he had relentlessly searched for during the past five years. In that one lesson with Slughorn, the boy had obviously cheated; Yes, a mere fluke it was.

Confident with his conclusion, Severus continued onwards to his quarters and found a letter waiting for him on his desk. The mysterious S.J.E was a good enough distraction from all things Potter, and therefore Severus sat down to read it immediately.

He read each word carefully and was sure that the student had to be in Slytherin as the level of cunning that went into each response was unmistakable. Deciding on a reply, Severus reached for his quill and a fresh roll of parchment.

 

S.J.E,

 

Severus paused and wasn't sure where to begin. He had plenty to comment about the boy's attitude (although it wasn't actually stated, Severus had a strong feeling that this student was male), and how flattery wouldn't get him very far in this situation.

And yet to put it into the letter seemed oddly...irrelevant.

It was a rather painstaking moment to just stare at the mostly blank parchment as though he was a first year deciding on how to begin a lengthly essay.

Severus hated that feeling and was determined to place ink to paper, so to speak.

 

Although the implication of your tone is a rather disrespectful annoyance, I must commend you upon your demonstration of rational caution through the use of your intellect.

I shall allow your identity to remain vague until the conclusion of our arrangement or this school year; whichever occurs first.

Severus didn't compliment anyone very often (although some would say he didn't at all), but the reasoning behind the concealed identity had shown immense skill in self-preservation and necessary caution.

If this student was in his class than how had he missed the boy's talent for five years? Perhaps it was the subject itself; Potion-making may not provide enough opportunity for the obvious use of such a skill. Perhaps Defense Against the Dark Arts will achieve what Potions could not?

Of course, if Severus truly had to know who the student was than it would be all too easy; a few tracking spells and select charms, and he would have no trouble discovering who the elusive S.J.E was.

It was the principal of the matter in which prevented him from doing this in such a manner.

Previously, he liked to think that he could find out who the student was without the necessary force. And now Severus was intrigued by the boy's skill and decided to abide by the ingenious reasoning behind why he should not know too many details. Because – as much as he loathed to admit it – the sixteen-year-old had a point about being biased and the certain level of expectation as well as judgment that came with such knowledge.

 

Professor Slughorn is of adequate skill and a competent Potions professor. I speak from experience as I myself was a pupil of his during the previous post he obtained within this school.

Upon deep consideration, I have decided upon your offer. I shall answer the reasonable questions in which the boy invents, in return for a similar task upon yourself. I shall extend a question relating to your educational studies and if answered correctly, you shall be permitted to pass along the boy's question and I will answer it.

If you are not in agreement to these terms than this correspondence will cease to exist.

SS

--

When it was time to head down for dinner, Harry and Ron left Toby in their dormitory as always, although they had parted with the promise to return with food.

The boys tried to ignore the students that attempted to get a better look at Harry or stared intently at him the entire way to the Great Hall; this always proved to be rather difficult.

'You'd think it would've worn off by now.' Ron commented as he spotted Hermione and joined her at the Gryffindor table.

'They're doing it more than usual.' Harry grumbled as he served himself a dinner roll and some chicken.

'It's just because of all the you-know-who stuff.' Hermione sighed. 'It'll tone done again after a awhile, like it always does. So how did the research go?'

'Brilliant!' Ron grinned. 'We've figured it out, well it was my idea but...' He shrugged and his ears turned a little red.

'It's perfect.' Harry agreed. He watched Hermione for a moment and a frown formed on his face as he realized something. 'With S.P.E.W, I'd have thought you'd be the first to suggest it.'

'House-elves?' Hermione's eyebrows formed together in a clear sign of annoyance in retaliation to his own expression. 'What about them?'

'Hermione.' Harry exhaled. 'You'd have to research their jobs, treatment, punishments, and expectations. Why didn't you say that child-minding was one of them?' He accused.

'Because it's wrong.' Hermione quickly answered. Ron wondered if they should be talking about such things over dinner in the Great Hall, but otherwise he didn't offer any comments towards the matter; he believed Harry did have a point. Ron didn't want to be the one to tell Hermione that.

'Only a parent should raise a child. The house-elves only did the basics and a child still needs the love and attention of their carer.' Hermione added desperately.

'I was only going to suggest it if we found no other option, Harry!'

But Harry wasn't listening anymore. He stood from the table (snatching a few rolls as he did), and turned to storm from hall. This time he didn't care who stared or whispered about it.

The answer had been there the entire time and Hermione hadn't said anything, not even a clue, and therefore allowing Harry to lose almost all hope in his mission. She had said nothing.

He felt angry and betrayed, which resulted in him calling to Toby from the moment he strode into the dormitory.

'We have a plan and it's going to work.' Harry told the boy as he handed over the buttered rolls. 'Dobby!'

Pop, Dobby appeared before him and looked around at the room with a mingled sense of curiosity and delight.

'Harry Potter has called Dobby?' The elf turned to him and lightly tipped his head to the side as though he was figuring something out. 'Is Harry Potter ready to become Dobby's new master?'

'Yes. I am.' Harry nodded although he felt little less angry and more nervous now. 'How does this “bonding” think work exactly?'

Dobby wasn't sure how to describe it and since they had both agreed that he would be Harry's new house-elf, he simple went ahead with it. Dobby began to glow whiter as his hands turned a pearly blue and his eyes paled as though a cloud filled his sockets.

Toby gasped at the sight and dropped his last roll as he frantically backed away from the scene. Harry saw Dobby raise a hand for him to shake; in response, the teenager slowly grasped the elf's bony, smaller hand and tried to prepare himself for what may come of it.

There was a blinding light to accompany the intense burning sensation from where their hands joined; it was a very unsettling feeling to feel as though your own blood was being boiled.

Jerking back, the light and pain faded rather quickly and no evidence had been left behind other than a frightened little boy.

'Harry!' Toby ran to him and hugged him around the middle for the comfort and reassurance that they were all okay.

'It is done, Master.' Dobby bowed. 'What is Dobby to wear?'

'Huh?' Harry remembered the toga-like clothes that many house-elves often wore as a mark of their enslavement.

'Anything; I don't care.' He tossed the subject away as he turned his hands over and observed how ordinary they remained, yet a certain bit of magic had definitely bonded itself to him from the inside out.

'What happened?' Toby asked worriedly. 'Why'd that thing call you “master”, Harry?'

'This is my house-elf, Dobby.' Harry explained while Dobby smiled and fashioned himself a jet-black toga with a golden lightning bolt on the front (for Harry's scar).

Perhaps Harry should have chosen the attire.

'A house-elf is a magical creature that helps us out whenever we need it.' Harry added as he placed a hand on the smaller boy's shoulder. 'He'll be keeping you company when I'm not here, and make sure our secret is safe.'

'Hello.' Dobby beamed at Toby. 'Who is you?'

'Toby.' The boy introduced himself in a quietly defiant voice.

'Dobby, do you think you could plan a child-minding schedule if I write up a timetable of when I'll be busy?' Harry asked.

'Dobby would be honored, Master Harry Potter.' The elf bowed.

'Er...good. Thanks, Dobby.' The teenager exhaled with relief.

'Right, now Toby needs to eat. Could you get something from the kitchen, like some chicken and vegetables?' Harry felt very uncomfortable about telling anyone what to do even though he knew he had to get used to it for the sake of their plan.

'Dobby will get the food now, Master Harry Potter.' And with that, Dobby vanished again to fulfill his first task as Harry's house-elf.

It would still be a long road ahead and yet with Dobby's help, Harry felt confident that things were already better and safer for Toby.

--

As Harry watched Toby happily eat his arranged dinner while Dobby made plans nearby as well as taking the chance to get to know the little boy some more, an owl flew through an open window and dropped Harry's recent letter from Snape onto his lap.

Reading it over once, Harry bit his lip and reached for a quill to scribble a response onto a scrap of parchment right away. Of course, it took a moment to get over the shock of receiving a compliment from Professor Snape and most of Harry's time was consumed with re-reading that section to make sure it was indeed as it appeared to be.

Once he was satisfied with what he had written, Harry charmed the handwriting and sent the reply back with the same owl. There had been no hesitation in his actions as he was fiercely determined that everything was going to be fine now as he continued to watch Dobby and Toby working together as though they had been doing it for days.

The past few weeks had felt as though a troll of responsibility had been pressing harder onto Harry's shoulders, but at that moment it had been effected by a featherlight charm; it's presence was still there, and yet it was no longer a burdening weight in which he struggled to maintain.

Harry sighed and allowed himself this moment of confidence and relief, unsure if it would last or if another metaphorical troll was going to take the place of the other.

At that moment it didn't matter to Harry because the fact remained...he now had a plan.

Professor Snape,

 

It's a deal.

 

S.J.E

Chapter End Notes:
I was a bit hesitant about "enslaving" Dobby as his motto as the "free elf" was so inspiring, and yet it really had to be this way for his plot to work in this story.
Dobby and Irma Pince are now actively involved in this story from this chapter forward.
I also want to change the title of this chapter as it's too similar to "A Plan Undone". Any ideas? Please review!