Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Exceeding Expectations
Over the course of the next few weeks things had rapidly changed.

Once Hermione had heard that Harry - a supposed member of S.P.E.W and her friend – had “enslaved” Dobby, the house-elf...she was furious. Harry and Hermione had never been so apart as they were during those few weeks because they stubbornly refused to talk to each other; although oddly enough, Ron was never caught in the middle.

During every Potions lesson, Harry continued to follow the Half-Blood Prince's instructions whenever possible, which led to Slughorn constantly bragging about his “talent”. It only angered Hermione further, although (for some reason unknown to the boys), she never reported Harry's “cheating”, and simply settled to ignore him even further (if possible!). The class quickly became Harry's best subject and he couldn't help feeling good about that.

And yet the biggest change of all was the one that no one ever noticed nor suspected.

Every morning once the Gryffindor students had left their dormitories for breakfast, Dobby would bring Toby any reasonable breakfast the boy requested or that Harry had specified. He would make sure that Toby had showered, dressed, and was properly groomed before he popped them to the Room of Requirement where Dobby would oversee the boy's task of learning from instructive books about the basics (such as mathematical solutions, manners, writing – this was done with a quill, reading, and magical plant/animal identification), as well as children's introductions to the ways of the Wizarding world.

Toby would have lunch there (sometimes Ron and Harry would join them), and finally Dobby would take the boy to concealed, protected clearing on the grounds so that Toby could play and run around like any child his age should.

On the weekends, the boys had to study or practice Quidditch (since Harry was the captain and Ron had made the team), and during that time Toby would often sit nearby with a book or watch them while Dobby supervised (in the case of Quidditch, Toby would be concealed under the cloak, of course).

Any time in which Harry wasn't studying, practicing Quidditch, ignoring Hermione, taking classes, or trying to devote his unwavering attention to Toby, he was reading his Potions textbook or his stolen mind book.

In addition to making him the top of Slughorn's class, the Half-Blood Prince's book also taught him some new spells in which he had already carefully tried out; Ron hadn't originally been too pleased with the “Levicorpus” one as it had him hanging by his ankles upside-down over his bed one morning. Harry wasn't very fond of it either, only because it reminded him of how his father James used to use that spell against Snape in order to humiliate the Slytherin.

Another secret in which was being kept from Snape was that Harry had been training hard with Dobby during some free time in order to improve his non-verbal spell-casting skills. And now it was finally time to show that git how he wasn't lacking in the mind techniques as his spiteful professor always implied.

They were having another duel-like session in Defense Against the Dark Arts (similar to the first one they'd had with Snape that year), and Harry eagerly counted down the minutes until he could head to class.

'Come on.' He got up off the floor of the Room of Requirement as he decided to walk Toby back to the dormitory himself rather than calling for Dobby. It was an excellent way to waste time and therefore speed up the waiting period for Harry's next lesson.

If he took a moment to realize that he was actually excited for a class simply because Snape taught it than Harry would have thought he'd gone mad.

Once Toby was concealed under the cloak, they left the room and headed for the Gryffindor tower. No sooner had they entered the first corridor along the way, someone turned a corner ahead and smirked at Harry. He was joined by Crabbe and Goyle, which only made matters worst and Harry felt at loss of what to do.

'Look who it is, boys.' Draco said. 'Potty Scarhead.' He sneered as the other two laughed. 'I heard you and the mudblood are fighting? Took you long enough to see her for what she is.'

'Sod off, Malfoy.' Harry snarled. He could control his anger more easily now but that horrible name for muggleborns still infuriated him to no end.

'Not so friendly, eh?' Draco frowned. 'Well boys, I think we should teach Potter a thing or two about respect.'

Backing away (although he had extracted his wand from his robes as a precaution), Harry knew he was in trouble as he attempted to shield Toby with his form.

'Hello, Harry.' Luna appeared by his side with Ginny; they had heard the commotion and already had their wands out from the moment they recognized the Slytherin's voice.

'Now it's more even.' Ginny glared at Draco.

'It takes a pair of girls to fight us?' The blonde scoffed although he did appear to be somewhat more cautious than before.

'No.' Ginny replied. 'It only takes one to beat you.'

Harry watched the scene unfold and in the back of his mind he continued to realize that he was going to be late for class if he didn't hurry. Turning cautiously, he thanked his friends and left the Slytherins at the mercy of Ginny's bat bogey hex.

Forgetting all about Dobby, Harry hurried along the corridors and stairs until he reached the Gryffindor tower.

'I heard Snape doesn't like you.' Toby commented as Harry searched for his books in the otherwise empty dormitory. It still amazed him how Toby had memorized his entire class schedule better than he had.

'He doesn't.' Harry replied without giving it much thought. 'Because he hates my father.'

'Why?' Toby removed the cloak and looked at his guardian. 'That's not fair.'

'My dad and his friends picked on Snape.' Harry huffed as he couldn't find his book. 'Dobby!'

'Like Malfoy does to you?' The six-year-old asked with such simplicity and yet it caused Harry to stop and stare at the boy. He loved the Marauders like family (apart from Peter, for obvious reasons), and yet it was too true to deny...they had indeed bullied Snape like Draco bullied him, only worst. Snape hadn't had the friends Harry does and the Marauders had either known that fact or made sure of it.

'Yes, Master Harry Potter?' Dobby appeared to take over his duties as requested. Once the elf had retrieved his required textbook for him, Harry stood and rushed from the room as sense of cold spread to his fingertips.

'And there he goes.' Toby sighed as he sadly watched the troubled teen leave.

'Dobby is wondering if young Toby is hungry?' The elf glanced at the boy who was still a bit taller than he was.

'No.' Toby shook his head. 'But thanks, Dobby.' He remembered his manners.

'Dobby is happy to help Master Harry Potter and young Toby.' The elf bowed.

Toby glanced at the creature and a small smile spread across his lips. It had taken a little while but he had finally come to accept the house-elf and wasn't afraid of him anymore. Dobby made the times without Harry seem less lonely, and for that the boy would be eternally grateful.

--

The walk to the Defense classroom seemed longer as Harry imagined how he would feel if Draco had hung him upside-down; defenseless and humiliated. No wonder Snape hated the Marauders and by extension, him.

He had barely made it on time for the lesson and yet Snape had given him a detention anyway. The session was to begin as planned until a Ravenclaw boy bravely raised his hand and asked what a patronus looked like.

Severus glared at the boy as he would have preferred to be asked after the lesson rather than right when they were about to start. Nevertheless, he decided indulge in the raven's request.

However, Severus could not be the one to conjure the spell for several reasons, mostly because he did not want anyone to know what his patronus was; it wasn't something he wished to share in general, but also it was a precaution. Knowing what ones patronus was or even that he can use the spell was a risky move for someone like Severus; a true Death Eater could not conjure one.

He had no idea that half of his class was made up of DA members in which could conjure the said patronus...but Severus knew Potter could.

Seeing as everyone already knew what form Potter's patronus would take, he decided to give the boy his moment to “show off”, as Severus called it.

Harry could see no reason to decline the instruction (nor did he think he actually had a choice in the matter), and therefore stepped forward with his wand raised and his eyes fixated on a random space on the floor as he prepared to perform the spell.

'Expecto Patronum!'Harry incanted. A wisp of blue clouded from his wand and a tingling sensation spread through his hands and ankles that was neither warm no cold. This had never happened before.

'Save the theatrics for your fan club, Potter.' Snape scowled and yet even the professor seemed a bit unsure about what had transpired.

No matter how annoyed Harry still was with Snape, Toby's words had made a mental mark on him; all he could see was a vivid image of the similarities between James Potter and Draco Malfoy...the bullies.

'Expecto Patronum!' Harry tried again and with intense relief, the corporal form of the spell burst from his wand and circled the room. Only it did not canter and the horns, hooves, and horse-like body was gone. Those who knew Harry's original form the spell had previously taken, were stunned to no longer see a proud stag patronus and instead watched the fierce lioness leap around the classroom.

Harry, unsure of what this meant, turned towards Snape who narrowed his eyes at him for a brief moment and than proceeded with the lesson.

'What happened, mate?' Ron asked as his friend lowered his wand and the unfamiliar lioness evaporated.

'I dunno, somethings different.' Harry frowned. He shook his head and stuck to his original plan for the lesson; he would save the additional issue of his patronus for later.

Despite using (or trying to use), non-verbal spells in Defense, Charms, and Transfiguration, few were yet to become very good at it; other than Hermione, of course. That was about to change.

There was a spell Harry wanted to try as he hadn't had the chance to test it yet. This hadn't come from the Prince's book but was composed entirely within his own mind. He had even done a bit of research and felt confident enough that Ron wouldn't be expecting it.

Feeling Snape's gaze on them, it was time to give his new creation a go and Harry prayed it would not be the last thing he ever did.

Expellicorpus!” Harry thought forcefully in his mind and watched as his wand emitted violet sparks that forced Ron backwards onto the floor as though he had been punched in the stomach with enough strength to knock him over.

'What spell was that?' Ron gasped as he sat upright with a numb wince. 'I feel weird and sluggish.' He frowned.

'I too would like to know the answer to that question.' Snape eyed Harry with obvious distrust and unwavering suspicion. 'Mr Potter?' He raised an eyebrow at the teen.

'It's a delaying jinx that knocks the opponent over and dazes them a little.' The explanation had come only from Ron's reaction as Harry hadn't been 100% certain that it would work as he had hoped.

Following his answer, Harry turned to stare right at Snape. 'Since non-verbal spells aim to surprise, what better way to do that than to use a self-created spell?' He shrugged. 'I thought it was okay since you never said we couldn't do it and this spell is quite harmless, sir.'

'The incantation, Mr Potter?' Severus frowned at the defiant and logically correct boy; no matter how hard he tried to conceal it, Severus was impressed by the Gryffindor, to say the least.

'Expellicorpus.' Harry replied. 'Derived from “Expilliarmus”, and “Levicorpus”, I believe.'

Severus stared hard at Harry and swallowed before he turned abruptly and shouted for the lesson to commence. He continued to watch as Potter shifted between opponents and with jolt of disbelief, Severus realized that the Gryffindor had mastered the basics of non-verbal magic in a duel.

Had he underestimated Harry that much?

Severus continued to muse on the new skills he saw in the Gryffindor well after the lesson had concluded. He returned to his quarters and sank into he nearest leather armchair in front of his dim fireplace.

There was a certain change in Potter that couldn't be blamed on the loss of the teenager's godfather, Sirius Black. Something must have happened over the course of the summer and yet the Order had surely been discreetly guarding the boy. Potter seemed older in a way that had nothing to do with age. Something had happened now that hadn't occurred when the boy had found about the truth about his parents and Peter, battled Voldemort numerous times, dealt with Umbridge, faced a werewolf and the Dementors...and witnessed death.

A key point in Potter's life had been dramatically rearranged and yet it was completely invisible.

Severus ran a hand over his tired face and decided that he needed a distraction that didn't include the marking of incompetent homework. He stood and moved to the desk in his office where he focused upon a due letter.

S.J.E,

I believe adequate time has passed since our prior correspondence and therefore you are permitted to ask one question from your brother if you correctly respond to the following:

A lone wizard residing in Western Scotland died due to a dangerous case of poisoning caused by an unknown toxic exposure. He had reportedly been working on a potion in which he intended to use against blood clots. Which main plants may have contributed to the cause of his untimely death?”

If I am satisfied with your response, only than are you allowed to ask a question in return.

SS


As Harry awoke really early the following morning on the day of their first Hogsmeade trip of the term, he could not believe how much time had already passed by since he had smuggled Toby into Hogwarts. The fact that they were halfway through October seemed incomprehensible at that particular moment.

Yawning stiffly, Harry sat upright and nudged his glasses into place. He extracted some textbooks from nearby and set about perusing the final few pages of his set reading for Transfiguration.

Catching the sight of movement, Harry glanced over to his right to see Toby watching him sleepily. Inspired by Harry's lack of cautious instruction, Toby crawled onto the bed and slipped under the warm covers beside the teen. The boy clutched at the invisibility cloak he'd tugged along with him, just in case.

'Whatcha reading?' Toby whispered.

'Transfiguration.' Harry replied and showed the boy the cover of his book.

'Oh. Dobby told me a bit about that.' Toy nodded as he continued to keep his voice low. 'It's about turning something into something else, right?'

'Yeah.' Harry sighed and closed his book as there was no way in which he could concentrate with Toby sitting beside him.

'What's Hogsmeade like?' Toby remembered Harry telling him about their trip for a while and was eager to know more.

'It's great and is one of the few places that muggles can never see.'

'Wow!' Toby smiled. 'And you said we had to go secretly, why?'

'Filch, the nasty caretaker, is checking everyone and I don't want to risk you being discovered, so we have to sneak in.'

'How?'

'You'll see.' Harry threw back the covers and climbed out of bed to get dressed. There was still some time before breakfast and he really wasn't sure what to do.

'Can we go to the big room?' Toby crawled to the end of the bed, using his preferred nickname for the Room of Requirement.

'Sure, get dressed.' Harry nodded.

Once they were both ready, Harry led the invisible Toby out of the dormitory where they came across a studying Hermione already dressed in her Gryffindor robes.

'Harry, wait!' She quickly got to her feet as the boys made to move past her.

'Are you talking to me again?' He asked in an accusing tone; although, truthfully he had really missed her in the last couple of weeks and hated that they were still fighting.

'This is ridiculous!' Hermione exclaimed. 'It's all over nothing! A mis-understanding and a few over-reactions on both our parts.'

'That's not nothing.' Toby commented on the bigger words. He was instantly shushed by Harry.

The bespectacled teenager stared at Hermione's obviously apologetic face before he exhaled and offered her a small smile.

'We're going to the Room of Requirement until breakfast.' He told her. 'Would you like to come with us?'

'Oh, yes!' Hermione's face lit up at the invitation.

'Thank-you, Harry.' She added along the way. 'I'm really sorry and I should've told you about the house-elves sooner.'

'And I didn't let you explain.' Harry shrugged. 'We both caused this. I'm just glad it's over. Promise we won't fight for that long again?'

'I promise!' Hermione chuckled as they reached the spot in which to call the room.

Once Harry had brought the door to them with the need to find a place that was comfortable, the trio stepped inside and Toby was able to pull off the cloak.

'I'm glad you're back too, Miss Hermione.' He smiled up at her and revealed a gap in the bottom row of his teeth.

'Hello, Toby, me too.' She nodded. 'And you've lost a tooth!'

'Yeah, I pulled it out cuz I didn't like it moving when I touched it.' The boy reached into his pocket to pull out a golden galleon. 'It hurt lots, but look! I got money for it.' Toby grinned. 'Harry said I can spent it today.'

'That's nice.' Hermione agreed and glanced at Harry, who was smiling sheepishly; they both knew that the “tooth fairy” tradition was purely a muggle thing. If such a thing even existed, it certainly wouldn't have happened in a place like Hogwarts.

'How are you going to get Toby by Filch?' Hermione worried as she realized that the little boy was going to Hogsmeade as well.

'The secret passageway to Honeydukes.' Harry answered.

'Unless Remus told Dumbledore about it and it's blocked.' Hermione sighed. 'I thought...well, Dobby is allowed in and out of Hogwarts so there's no reason why he shouldn't be able to bring Toby along.' She lowered her gaze as her suggestion related to what had started their argument.

'Since he is your house-elf and a Hogwarts elf. At least he's being paid.' Hermione muttered the last part.

'Thanks, that would be better.' Harry nodded at his friend as he hadn't know that Dobby could do that.

'What do you think of Dobby?' Hermione asked Toby curiously as she doubted the boy had ever seen a house-elf before Harry had bonded with Dobby.

'He's a bit weird. And he teaches me lots of stuff about magic.' Toby shrugged. 'But he only does what Harry tells him to.' The boy scowled.

'Oh, Harry...nice work with the non-verbal spells, by the way.' Hermione remembered. 'And that spell you used on Ron, it didn't come from the Prince's book, did it?' She frowned.

'No.' Harry responded. 'I really did make it up.'

'And your Patronus?' She narrowed her eyes as she thought upon it. 'What happened to your stag?'

Harry extracted his wand from the sleeve of his robes (a habit he had only recently formed and yet wasn't sure why), and cast the spell. They watched as the lioness ran around the room just as it had in the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom the day it had changed.

'I dunno.' Harry shrugged with a gruff sigh.

'Katty!' Toby grinned and began to follow the patronus around as though it was a game of chase.

“Katty?” Hermie repeated and turned to Harry for an explanation.

'He named it.' Harry shook his head with amusement. He moved to brush the dark strands of hair from where they had fallen over his eyes, having not realized how quickly it was growing when he paid it no attention.

'Ever since he read in some book that all things great and terrible had a name, he's taken it upon himself to name certain things.'

'He's a special kid.' Hermione glanced over at Toby, who was laughing and running after the conjured cat. 'And he could have ended up anywhere after that fire. It's lucky he found you.'

'We're both lucky.' Harry smiled at the joyous Toby. He believed that he was far luckier to have Toby than vice versa. Already he was beginning to wonder how life had ever been without Toby around and yet Harry hoped it would be this way forever.

Except maybe one day they won't have to hide.

Chapter End Notes:
Didn't get as many reviews last time, was really hoping for it for that chapter. Anyway, if you read this one please set me a review as I really want to know what everyone thought of it.