Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

His Best Mates

Harry watched as his Severus swept out the front door of Number Twelve Grimmauld Place and into the unknown. As the door shut behind Severus, Harry's concern turned into undeniable fear.

"Harry…, are you okay?" It took a second for Harry to register that it was Hermione who asked.

Harry was still staring at the closed front door. "Uh…yeah," he said in a blatant lie. He wasn't okay at all. He had been enjoying one perfectly perfect day and then his father had to get a summoned by the deranged killer that he pretended to work for.

Everything was just bloody ducky.

Harry had no idea why he was drawn to the front door or why he had to see Severus go, but he did. Admittedly, the first sight of Severus' Death Eater robes in the Headmaster's office had shaken Harry, but it wasn't so much the memories of what had happened that night that had upset Harry…it was the realization of the gravity of Severus' position. Just as Harry realised that there was someone out there who actually understood

As Harry began to open the front door, someone said from behind him (probably Ron), "Mate, Snape said that you couldn't leave."

"I'm not going anywhere," Harry numbly replied. Harry opened the door and looked out into the small front garden of Number Twelve. He kept the door close behind him, not wanting the others to see whatever exchange he might have with Severus.

He stood there, frozen in macabre awe as Severus' everyday clothes transformed into his Death Eater attire.

The horrific memories of that night threatened to paralyze Harry with fear, but in a move that was becoming instinctual, Harry reached out and pulled the terrifying memories behind his shields. His shields were by no means capable of keeping the memories at total bay, but at least he could now deal with them without flying into a state of panic.

The robes were perversely beautiful. A cold chill ran down Harry's spine because he knew what those robes represented.

But as difficult as it was, Harry looked beyond the robes and to the man. Harry had been fully aware since that night Cedric had been killed and Severus showed his Dark Mark to the Minister in a vain attempt to prove that Voldemort had returned, that Snape was a spy. The ramifications of that had never really crossed Harry's mind before. I had never thought twice of the deadly game Snape had to play. But now…it wasn't Snape anymore. It was Severus now, and Harry cared very much what happened to him.

Harry felt he should say something, but the words were stuck in his throat. Harry's eyes became locked with Severus' gaze. At first there was a flash of anger from Severus, perhaps mixed with a bit of humiliation in those black fathomless eyes. They brought back cold memories of the way things had once been. But then, something changed in that obsidian gaze…a warmth that was unfamiliar to Harry. With one look, Severus had assured Harry that he would do whatever it took to come home. Though it did not take away Harry's fears completely, without being able to articulate why, it helped.

Severus' face then went blank and seemed completely void of emotion and then with a sudden pop of displaced air, he was gone.

Harry jumped and turned around when someone unexpectedly put their hand on his shoulder.

"Hey kiddo…it's just me," Sirius said gently. He looked confused by Harry's reaction. Actually, Harry had nearly forgotten anyone else was there. "Harry, do we need to talk?" The concern in Sirius' voice was unmistakable, but Harry couldn't bring himself to confide in his godfather yet.

Remus stood not too far behind Sirius. It looked as if Harry's former professor turned friend was every bit as troubled as Sirius seemed to be. These were his da…James Potter's two best friends. He had to tell them…but how? What would he say…that James Potter had only been Harry's step-father and that one of the people they hated most in the world was Harry's real father…that Mum never loved the man she called 'husband', but had always loved Severus Snape instead?

Sirius hadn't seemed to care that Harry's mum might have cheated on Snape, but what would he think now that the tale was reversed…well…not exactly reversed, Harry supposed, but it was obvious that though his mum had never cheated on anyone, she was not the devoted wife to James Potter that Sirius and Remus had pictured her to be. Harry shuddered to think of what unspeakable things Sirius might say about Severus.

Deep down, Harry knew that Severus was right. Harry's paternity should have no bearing on what Sirius thought of him. After all, Harry's only offence was being the biological son of Severus Snape, but Harry was sorely afraid that might be enough for his godfather to condemn him.

Realising that he had not yet given Sirius an answer, Harry scratched the back of his head and avoided Sirius' gaze by looking down at the freshly cleaned, but still dull patterns in the carpeting. "Um…Yes we do," Harry glumly admitted. "But not right now. I'd really like to go have a lie down if you don't mind."

"Go right ahead, Harry dear," Mrs Weasley said sympathetically from somewhere by the stairs. "It's still couple of hours until supper. I'll send Ron up when it's ready."

Sirius opened his mouth as if he were about to say something, but then slowly shut it again as if he thought better of it.

Harry still had a hold of the doorknob and the front door was still slightly ajar. He closed it quietly behind him. Harry paused as he walked past Sirius' and touched his godfather's sleeve.

"It's okay…we can talk after supper," he promised Sirius. Sirius absently nodded and let Harry go. Harry kept his eyes averted as he made his way to the stairs. He could feel the perplexed gazes of his friends and hear their unasked questions.


Harry had not been in bed for long. He didn't need to sleep like he had told Sirius. After all, he had a nap just after lunch. Harry just needed to get away. As much as he needed to tell Sirius, Harry just couldn't. He just couldn't get his mind off of Severus. Harry felt like he swallowed a Bludger. Harry's gut was turning so violently, he wouldn't be surprised to find his abdomen turned black and blue.

He couldn't pull his thought away from how much danger Severus was putting himself in. Was whatever information he gathered really worth the risk? Why did Harry feel betrayed? Severus was only doing his job.

Not so long ago, Harry would have been inclined to think that if the Potion's Master was hurt in the line of duty, it would be Snape's problem and that the wizard probably did something to deserve it.

But now…Had he really come to care so much about Severus Snape?

Harry had to reluctantly admit…yes…he had.

Harry laid there in bed, staring at a dingy tea-coloured water stain on the ceiling. He absently thought it seemed that the Order's headquarters was in desperate need of structural maintenance as well as cleaning.

Harry was granted a reprieve from thinking about Severus' situation when he heard voices from directly outside his door. It was still too early for dinner, but Harry first guess about who was behind Door-Number-One was correct.

Harry could scarcely make out Ron's hushed voice. "What if he's asleep?"

Hermione's slightly louder and irritated voice said, "Just go in, Ronald. It's your room too. If he's asleep, we'll just ask him after dinner."

There was some more hushed bickering from the corridor and Harry rolled over on his side and debated whether or not to pretend if he was asleep. He knew he would eventually tell Ron and Hermione, but wasn't sure if he should do it now. But then again, the pros of telling them now outweighed the cons. The longer he waited to say something, the more likely they (especially Ron) would resent Harry for harbouring such a secret from them. The one thing Harry knew really ticked-off his friends, was feeling as if Harry mistrusted them.

Also, his friends might be able to give him a clue on how to approach Sirius. After all, Ron hated Severus almost as much as Sirius did. How Ron reacts might be an indication of how Sirius would take the news. Not to mention, once he told Ron and Hermione, Harry just might find it easier to talk to Sirius.

Ron and Hermione were still 'debating' whether or not to wake up Harry. Harry scoffed to himself, thinking that if he had been asleep, he'd certainly be awake now with all the incessant 'whispering' outside the door.

Harry huffed a long-suffering sigh. He would do it. He would take his chances and trust his friends not to turn on him.

Well… It was time to get it over with. "I know you're out there guys. Come on in."

The door opened slowly with a groan of hinges that were in desperate need of oiling. Ron was the first to stick his head in, most probably to make sure that Harry was decent.

"Sorry about that, mate," Ron said with a hesitant smile before he opened the door wider. He came in the room and Hermione followed in behind him. She had some blotchy pink spots around her cheeks that were just beginning to fade.

"I hope we didn't wake you," Hermione timidly said as she walked over and sat on the edge of Ron's bed.

"Yeah…" Ron said as his eyes darted to Hermione and shot daggers, "Some people don't know how to whisper."

Hermione opened her mouth to protest, but Harry cut her off.

"It's okay, guys," Harry said, waving off their concern. "I wasn't sleeping. I just needed some time to think."

Ron sat next to Hermione and his bedsprings squeaked from the additional weight. Harry sat up and swung his legs around, sitting on the edge of his own bed and facing his friends. He leaned over, grasped his hand and rested his elbows on his knees. He kept his eyes fixed on the dust bunnies that had gathered around the spindle foot of Ron's bed. He wasn't ready to make eye contact yet.

"We gathered as much," Hermione said a bit softly. "We're all a bit worried about you."

Harry clicked his tongue on the roof of his mouth breathed heavily through his teeth as he continued to think how he was going to broach the subject. "Yeah… well I can honestly tell you that every thing's been okay. The professor has been taking good care of me."

There. He said it.

Harry cast his eyes up to see his best mate's reaction. Ron's eyes narrowed and he asked suspiciously, "Harry…what's going on? Why all of a sudden is that git calling you by your first name?"

Harry cursed himself for underestimating his best friend's powers of observation, but then again, Severus hadn't exactly been subtle about it either. But Ron was an excellent strategist and that meant he did tend to notice things. It was a quality that most people sorely underestimated in Ron…even Hermione. Ron was nowhere near as obtuse as most people believed him to be.

Harry just wished that Ron would at least lay off the names, but he honestly couldn't be too annoyed with his friend. It hadn't been too long since Harry would have been joining him in the name calling.

Apparently, Hermione noticed the change in Harry's mood. "Ronald… Don't call Professor Snape names," she admonished quietly.

"No, Hermione. Really, it's okay. I don't want to argue," Harry appealed then gustily sighed. He sat quietly, wondering how to say what he had to say. Finally, after what seemed like forever, Harry hesitantly said, "It's just... I sort of have a problem and I don't know what to do about it."

Harry thought it was fascinating the way Ron's eyes changed so quickly, from suspension, to an apparent understanding, to rage in less than a second. Ron sprang from the edge of the bed with a clinched fist and hard set teeth, "If that bloody bastard has done anythi..."

Harry felt the blood drain from his face in horror and perhaps a little ill-put shame when he realised what his friend was thinking. Hermione sat in place, as if she were in a state of shock.

Harry jumped up from his own bed and placed his hands on his best friend's shoulders, in an effort to calm him. It looked as if Ron were about to run out into the night and find Severus so he could curse him with an Unforgivable. "No Ron…nothing like that! I swear. It's nothing like that at all!"

Ron slowly sat back down, and Harry sat back down on his own bed. But Harry could tell that Ron was searching his eyes. Ron wanted to assure himself that Harry was telling the truth. "You may not believe it, Ron…but the professor has actually been great... for Professor Snape anyway," Harry amended. He knew his friends just wouldn't believe Severus had changed his attitude towards Harry so radically, so quickly. Harry still had a hard time believing it himself.

The look on Ron's face indicated that he did have a hard time believing it. "Well, something has obviously happened between you and Snape over these past two weeks," Ron said in a valiant effort to keep his temper in check. "Why else would he be calling you by your first name like that?"

"Of course things have changed between Harry and the professor," Hermione said sensibly as she looked to Ron. "Harry went there to learn Occlumency. They have to bond." She then turned to Harry and asked. "But Ron is right, Harry, something is obviously bothering you. If Professor Snape isn't the problem, then what is?"

Harry shut his eyes and scoffed internally. What wasn't the problem? Harry's life had become one gigantic, jumbled mess over the past year; he would hardly know where to begin. But right at the moment, he just had to concentrate on the problem at hand.

He decided that it would just be less painful just to come out with it.

"Sirius," he finally said miserably.

Ron and Hermione looked at each other in stunned disbelief and then turned and gaped at Harry and echoed, "Sirius?"

Harry was ashamed to think that he had so little confidence in how his godfather would take the news of Harry's paternity, but he couldn't help it. Sirius and Severus had a past—a past that was not easily reconciled, despite Severus' assurances to try. Harry wanted to think that Sirius would be willing to try as well, but Severus' name couldn't be mentioned in front of Sirius without a look of contempt from the man and Severus couldn't walk into the same room without Sirius throwing off an insult. He couldn't see how Sirius would accept the fact that Severus Snape was actually Harry's father.

Harry didn't know why he was having a hard time looking at his friends.

Yes he did. As much as Harry could trust them to keep his secret…well…secret, he was still very much afraid of how they would react.

Harry said wretchedly, "Yeah…I have to tell him something important, but I don't know how." Harry leaned against the high footboard of the sleigh bed, feeling as if he suddenly needed its support. Now he wished he had taken that second nap.

Harry felt the weight shift on his bed and without taking his head from the cool oak wood, Harry turned to see Hermione next to him. He was comforted by the gentleness of her brown eyes as she tilted her head slightly to make eye contact. "What is it Harry? You can tell us." She said softly as her gaze looked back at Ron. Ron nodded for her to go on. "We'll understand...both of us."

Harry scoffed as he lifted a stray bit of irritating fringe from beneath his glasses, "Will you? I don't even know if I understand it, myself."

This time Ron got up from the bed and walked over looking as sympathetic as Harry had ever seen him. He half knelt in front of Harry and placed a hand on his friend's shoulder and said with what Harry rightly interpreted as all sincerity, "Harry…we will always be your mates…Hermione and me. Best mates for life. You could tell us that the greasy git was your father and it wouldn't change anything between us."

Harry sat up in astonishment. If he didn't know better he'd swear that Ron had just read his mind. Was Ron a closet Legilimens? Everything Severus had taught Harry about controlling his emotions had just flown out the window. He could actually feel the look of shock on his face and his friends had obviously picked up on it.

Hermione gasped, and threw her hands over her mouth. Ron's eyes went wide with disbelief. "You don't mean…?" Ron pointed at the door as if Snape were standing right outside.

Harry nodded dejectedly in affirmation. At least Ron had made his job a little easier. At least Harry didn't have to come out and say it himself.

Hermione moaned, "Oh…Harry. How...how did it happen?"

Ron rolled his eyes. "Well, I think he's pretty sure how it happened, Hermione."

Harry gaped at Ron and did push that image behind his shields. He had no wish to think of the mechanics of his conception.

Hermione flashed her eyes in annoyance at their red-headed friend. "Harry knows what I mean, Ronald," she said heatedly, "and so do you."

"Please…Not now," Harry pleaded.

Both Ron and Hermione looked properly embarrassed at their quipping and turned their attention back to Harry. Ron nudged Harry in the shoulder, and Harry and Hermione both shuffled down to make room for Ron at the end. "Mate, are you okay? I mean, if I were to find out that Snape were…" he gulped, unable to finish his sentence.

A flood of relief washed over Harry. His friend hadn't rejected him... yet. But it was enough to bolster Harry's courage so he could continue. "Well…at first I took it how you think that I would," Harry admitted. "Frankly, I was pissed off, that's how I took it. I mean… I found out that my entire life has been a lie instigated by my own mother…and that my father is a man that has hated me since the moment he first laid eyes on me."

A look of confusion set on Hermione's face. "Your…? Harry…did you say your mother lied to you?"

Harry swallowed hard. He had cried enough tears over what his mother had done and he thought they were long since gone, but he could feel them just below the surface, all the same. Harry took a cleansing breath and sat for a few moments as he recalled the lessons Severus had given him. He listened to his rushing river and found solace in the sound of his cascading falls. When he finally felt as if he could keep control of his emotions, he continued to explain. "I received a memory from Mum on my birthday. The professor and I have both seen it." Harry turned from Hermione to Ron and back again—looking for their reaction.

Hermione's jaw dropped in awestruck realization at what Harry had said. "A memory…? A Pensieved memory?"

Harry nodded, his voice warbled a bit, but he maintained his control. "Yeah, she and Severus had lived in the same neighbourhood as children. They were friends at first, and then began seeing each other when they were teenagers. They became engaged after they left Hogwarts."

Ron looked like he had swallowed a slug... again. "You're telling us that she actually… loved him."

"Well don't you think I would have had him in Azkaban by now if it had been something else!" Harry barked.

Ron leaned away from Harry a bit and held up his hands in defence, "Hey mate, I'm sorry. I didn't mean it like that. It's…it's just that it's a little hard to believe."

Harry felt his cheeks warm from shame. He really didn't have to snap at Ron like that. Ron saw Harry's immediate regret and slowly put his arms down. Harry understood why his friend found it so hard to believe…after all, so had Harry initially. "No. I'm the one who's sorry, Ron. I shouldn't have yelled like that. But to answer your question, Mum's marriage to dad…I mean James…was a fake. She told Severus that I was J... James' son."

Harry found it odd. As much as Harry was coming to terms with the fact that Severus was his father, he had just as much difficulty coming to terms with the fact that James Potter was not.

Hermione looked incensed, perhaps even disappointed, "Why…why would she do that? Why would she do that if she loved the professor…?" As if hit by an epiphany she muttered, "Oh my… No wonder he's treated you like…Harry, how did the professor take it?"

"I don't know how Severus first took it," Harry said honestly. "But I do know he was angry with Mum for never telling him. He said everything would have been different if he had known."

"'Severus'?" Ron asked incredulously. "You call him by his first name too?"

Harry shrugged, "Well, it just wouldn't seem right to call him 'Professor Snape', would it. He understands why I can't call him…well… you know."

Ron sighed. Harry noticed his friend was flushed and his freckles were more noticeable. "Yeah…I know, mate. I'm just surprised he hasn't made your liver a part of his Potion's kit."

Harry couldn't help but chuckle. Harry would have once been inclined to think the same thing himself.

Then Hermione said, "Harry, you said the professor said that things would have been different had he known. Do you mean to say that he wouldn't have denied you?"

Harry nodded. The one thing that could be said about his friends, they really did listen to him. "If it wasn't for his position as a spy, I think he'd tell the whole world right now." Harry's heart pulled at him when he thought again where Severus was at that moment, but he couldn't help but to smile a bit when he thought of the truth of his statement. Unlike the Dursley's…Harry's father wanted him.

"You mean he wants to be your father?" Ron was obviously having a hard time believing that last bit, but once again, he hit the nail on the head. From the astonished look on Ron's face, Harry might as well have told him that Draco Malfoy wanted to be adopted by the Weasleys.

"Yeah…Yeah, I think he does." Harry felt a rush through his body. For some reason, saying the words out loud, made them seem all that more true.

Harry watched Hermione as she got up from the bed and knelt in front of him. She gently took his hands and asked, "What about you, Harry? What do you want?"

Harry shut his eyes and took in a sharp breath.

What did he want?

He didn't know if he wasn't sure…or just didn't want to admit anything to himself yet.

"I don't know," he said with honest uncertainty. "I really don't know how to feel about this. I mean, sometimes I think that I could get used to the idea of having a dad…Even Severus. It might be kind of…nice. I've always wanted an adult to turn to like that. I've always wanted one but I don't know if I could get used to it. And then I think about Dad…James. He raised me as his own and gave me his name. He loved me enough to sacrifice himself to protect me and Mum. How can I just forget about that?"

"You don't, Harry," Hermione said sympathetically. "But it doesn't mean you can't have the other too?"

Something seemed to be bothering Ron as Harry noticed his friend seemed to be breathing harder…if only a little. "But Harry, can you forgive Snape for how he's treated you over the past four years? I don't care what your mum and James Potter did, he had no right to treat you that way."

"Ronald." Hermione bit under her breath.

"No, Hermione…Ron's right." Harry said to Hermione and then turned to Ron. "Severus has admitted to the same thing. He even apologised."

"And you're just going to leave it at that?" Ron asked incredulity. "One apology and all is forgiven and forgotten?"

"No," Harry said defiantly. "But it's more than that, too. It's everything…It's…Oh…I don't know exactly how to describe it to you Ron, but I can tell you he's never lied to me."

Ron didn't say anything. He only sat there with a pensive look on his face. Harry had no clue as to what his friend was thinking. He only hoped that he still had a friend by the end of the conversation. If he lost Ron, Harry knew the sting would hurt him to the core.

Maybe it was the Occlumency lessons, or maybe it was because he had finally seen what his mother had in Severus, but as much as it hurt Harry to admit, if it came down between Ron and Severus, he had no idea which one he would choose anymore.

Hermione only afforded Ron one quick glance then returned her attention back to Harry. "Harry, about your mum…do you know if she was ever going to tell the professor?"

Harry nodded and said so softly he practically whispered, "She said she would...someday."

Hermione just continued to sit still and hold Harry's hand. They all sat there in awkward silence until Ron hesitantly said, "Harry…I still don't understand any of this. It's not that I don't believe it, because I know you would never lie to us…especially about something like this. But for the life of me, I can't understand why Lily and James Potter would do something so despicable."

Harry now understood why Ron looked almost betrayed. It wasn't that Harry had done some unforgivable sin by being Severus Snape's son—or even that Severus had done anything as unforgivable as being Harry's father. But unlike Harry and Hermione, Ron had been raised on the legend of the Potters. Although Ron hadn't looked on Harry as some mythical hero since that first ride on the Hogwarts' Express, Lily and James Potter retained their sainted status. To say that the Potters could do something seemingly so cruel to someone who was innocent of any wrongdoing was akin to blasphemy. Just as Harry had felt off-kilter when he heard the news, Ron was dealing with his own sense of disorientation right now.

"Well, Mum said she did it to protect us because of Severus being a spy and she was afraid that if You-Know-Who found out that Severus was secretly married to a Muggle, that we would all be killed."

Ron's eyes narrowed in righteous anger, but Harry did not need to wonder who for when Ron said, "That seems like a lame excuse to me. I've never liked Snape, but the one thing I have to admit, he's smart enough to have found a way to protect you and your mum. It's just not right what they did."

"I'm not saying it was," Harry admitted, "What is done-is done. But there's something else that you two need to be aware of."

Now it was Hermione's righteous anger on Harry's behalf that flared up. "There's more? Harry, how much more do they expect you to take before you go mad?"

Harry almost snorted. He only wished there was a 'they' that he could lash out at.

But Harry couldn't help but feel heartened. His friends weren't angry at him…they were angry for him. He just hoped they would take they next bit of news without hexing the walls. "Well…you know how everybody tells me how much I look like my…James?"

"Yes," answered Hermione as Ron nodded. "Sirius and Remus are always talking about how much you resemble your dad... I mean James," she corrected.

"Yeah, mate… If you're Snape's son, why do you look so much like James Potter?"

Harry felt like his chest might collapse on him and he tightly shut his eyes and once again searched for his peaceful centre. He was grabbing Hermione's hands so tightly, his knuckles were turning white, as were hers. Even under the intense pressure, Hermione did not twitch. But he found his peaceful place again and let go of his iron grip. He was ashamed that he might have hurt his friend and said, "I'm sorry, Hermione."

She waved off his apology and said, "I'm fine. What else do you have to tell us, Harry?"

Harry still hesitated. Not because he was afraid any longer of his friend's rejection. It was just…that out of everything…he found this next bit to be the most disturbing and he didn't know why. Harry dug deep and plucked up his Gryffindor courage and said, "My mother cast a spell that would make me look like James Potter…but it started to wear off on my fifteenth birthday."

Both Hermione and Ron's jaws dropped simultaneously in disbelief. It was almost enough to make Harry laugh. Why had he ever considered shutting them out? They looked at each other and then at Harry.

"Harry, do you mean that you're going to start looking like the professor?" Again, she clasped a hand over her mouth. Her eyes widened as she stared at Harry's face as if looking for changes.

"Well…your hair is straighter and I think you're taller than last time we saw you," observed Ron. "But that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with a spell. Other than that, you don't seem to have changed much, so it can't be that bad…right?" Ron sounded as though he were trying to convince himself as much as Harry.

"I don't know Ron," Hermione was now in her academic mode. "These types of charms are tricky and complex. It can take up to a year to reverse depending on the complexity of the physical alteration. If the changes are few and subtle, it might not take very long and could be barely noticeable. If they are drastic, that's another story all together. Unlike Polyjuice transformations, these spells are semi-permanent. Harry's body grew into this form. It's not going to want to change. Not only that, by the time the changes are complete…Harry may be unrecognisable as his former self. But either way, the changes are going to be painful."

Harry said sardonically, "Thanks, Hermione. You sure know how to buck a guy up."

Ron just looked at Hermione like she had sprouted a second head. "Where do you come up with all of this guff?"

"I read, Ronald," she said acidly. "You ought to try it sometime!"

Harry knew the bickering between his friends was good natured enough. He knew it was a result of the two denying that they've had a crush on each other since at least third year, but he really didn't want to listen to it right now. None of it solved Harry's immediate problem. "But what should I do about Sirius?" he asked miserably.

"Tell him what you told us of course," Hermione said as if it were as simple as a Boil Cure.

"Yeah Harry…it might take him a while to get used to the idea…but if I can get used to it, certainly Sirius can," Ron assured him.

Was it really so easy? He had to say something. Sirius would know something was wrong. Between Severus' familiar use of Harry's name and Harry's worry over Severus' summons, Sirius would eventually demand an explanation. The night was going to be stressful enough without an argument with Sirius.

"Harry…" Hermione said softly. "There's something else…isn't there?"

"Of course there is, Hermione," Ron said grimly on Harry's behalf. "It was pretty obvious downstairs. Don't worry, mate. I understand... and so does Hermione."

Harry and Hermione both looked at Ron curiously.

"I know you sympathise with me. But how could you and Hermione possibly understand, Ron?"

Ron reached out and put his hand over Hermione's as she still held on to Harry's and he said solemnly, "Because we have dads too."

Chapter End Notes:
Hi folks, first an apology for how long this took. I broke my left hand last weekend. The pain has only just subsided enough that I can hold down the Caps Lock with my pinkie without too much pain or interference from the cast.

It is also why I only responded to one or two reviews from last chapter. It was just too painful and tedious. However, let me thank all of you now for your wonderful and enthusiastic reviews. Each and every one of them means so much to me. I might not get as many responses to reviews out as I would like over the next few weeks, but I promise they are not unappreciated. And I promise there are answers coming to all of your questions.

I would also like to give a special 'thank you' to my mum, Mummy. She has been gracious enough to let my dictate this chapter to her so I can bring it to you. Trust me…it wasn't easy. She's going to continue to do most of the typing while my hand heals over the next 4-6 weeks…grrr.

Thank you all again. Now it's time to take something for pain and go to sleep.

TTFN
~Missyann