Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
How will Sirius take the news?
Come Again Headmaster-Part Two

As much as Severus dreaded the thought of spending all of his free time with The-Boy-Who-Lived-to- Be-a-Royal-Pain-in-His-Arse all summer, he honestly looked forward to seeing the look on the mutt's face when the Albus dropped this particular little bombshell.

At present, the Inner Circle of the Order of the Phoenix was assembling at the long dining table that graced the kitchen of Number Twelve Grimmauld Place. That is, with the exception of Severus. He was seated in a far dark corner, practically hidden by the shadows.

Severus preferred to remain inconspicuous and ignored by the other members. At least until he had no choice but to become the inevitable centre of attention.

It was easy to remain unnoticed in this house. No matter how much Molly scrubbed the walls and cleaned the furniture, the place would never lose its dark aura. The Dark Magic that had taken place inside the walls of the house over the years seemed to permeate everything, physically manifesting itself into shadows that seemed to resist any attempt at illumination. It was if someone tossed Darkness Powder hither and yon.

And people think that my dungeons are gloomy, thought Severus as he gazed out at the congregation mulling around the dank kitchen. His own dungeons were as homey as the Burrow in comparison. The place was better suited as a Headquarters for Death Eaters than the Order of the Phoenix. Severus half expected Dementors to pop out of the woodwork at any given second.

Severus was also under no delusion that anyone would fancy sitting next to him. He was unpleasant and purposely rude, especially to people he considered of limited intelligence. Severus couldn't abide stupid people, and there were few in the room that he held in any regard. Not to mention, he simply was not trusted by many in the Order.

Severus would never admit it to anyone (including himself), but sometimes it really chapped his arse that most of his colleagues within The Order still questioned his loyalties.

After all, he had taken the Dark Mark with the encouragement of Albus Dumbledore. How many among the people gathered here at Grimmauld Place would ever make such a sacrifice for the Light. None...and they all knew it. Cowards.

And sacrifice Severus had. More than anyone would ever know. He had lost so much more than the innocence of his youth when he had taken the Dark Mark.

It was no surprise that Lucius Malfoy sought out Severus' skills as a potion maker. The Dark Lord had need of a skilled potioneer. Although Tom Riddle was an exceptional student in potions during his tenure at Hogwarts, at the time Riddle did not believe that potion making was a worthwhile pursuit. He preferred more "practical" subjects...like Divination. That fact alone should have raised alarms in Severus that the man was a bit...off. The Dark Lord opted to forego taking NEWT level courses Potions in favour of a less meaningful subject.

It was years after the demented frea…erm…Dark Lord… had begun his relentless pursuit for power that he realised how advantageous it would be to have a personal Potions Master. Severus' skill coupled with his Prince family history, not to mention that he was the favourite student of Albus Dumbledore, made him a highly sought after prize for He-Who-Must-Not-Be Named.

Albus knew that the Severus was an exceptional Occlumens. Albus had personally taught Severus the art, and found the he was natural at it. Severus had out-mastered his master before he had even left Hogwarts.

Albus had taken the young Severus under his wing when he realised how desperately he was trying to break himself from the dark past of his family. The Headmaster reached out to him with the hope of not repeating the same mistakes that he had made with the young Tom Riddle. Severus had accepted the Headmaster's guidance with the hope of becoming worthy of a certain beautiful redheaded witch.

Albus would eventually become aware that he had found a vital ally to help win the war. He realised that Severus would make the ideal spy. Severus' background would make him a believable addition to Voldemort's ranks. His keen intelligence, talent for subterfuge, and uncanny Occlumency skills would make him the perfect mole.

It was Severus who came up with the suggestion to infiltrate the Dark Lord's inner circle. His reasons were deeply personal, and he was determined to see the end of the twisted wizard. Even today, the thirst to see the Dark Lord meet his final doom was virtually all consuming. Severus would do anything to see the bastard would pay for his trespasses.

Now Dumbledore's spy was sitting in the corner of the dark kitchen at Number Twelve, waiting patiently for the Headmaster to arrive and give the news that would hit Black like a Hungarian Horntail's…well…tail.

Just then, Albus Dumbledore quietly entered the room, and his presence was immediately noticed. The obvious aura of the Headmaster's powerful magic would have been enough for any witch or wizard to look up and give their undivided attention. However, clad in garish velvet magenta robes, adorned with the signs of the Zodiac shaded in green, a blind man could not help but to see the old coot.

Where the bloody hell does the old man find his wardrobe, thought Severus as he looked bemusedly at his old mentor. He thought perhaps he should offer to develop a potion to cure the old man of his apparent colour blindness.

Albus took his seat at the head of the long table. Black had taken the chair directly to the Headmaster's right. Severus' eyes bored a hole into Black's head and he sneered at the audacity of the cur.

As far as Severus was concerned, Black was not a real member of The Order. Every other person in the room risked their life and the lives of their families' every day, whilst Black slobbed around the halls of his dreary house, safe from all harm.

But still, Black had loaned The Order the use of his home. Severus was certain that Black was simply attempting to elevate the importance of his position to the rest of The Order in a vain effort to make himself appear useful. Severus was not so easily fooled.

When The Headmaster settled himself in his chair, he gave a slight nod to his left. Remus Lupin was seated in the chair to the left of Dumbledore. As Sergeant at Arms he stood and announced rather formally, "This meeting of the Order of the Phoenix on Sunday, July 30th 1995 will now come to order. Albus Dumbledore, Supreme Warlock, presiding."

"Honestly Moony, do you have to piss about with all the pomp. Let's just get on with it," Sirius laughed and rolled eyes at his best friend.

"Language, Mr Black!" chastised Molly Weasley. She had been busy spelling refreshments for everyone.

Black apologized, looking quite sheepish. "Sorry Molly," Lupin sat back down, his faced scrunched with slight offence. He was only doing his job, after all.

"No need to be rude, Padfoot."

Albus intervened. "With no further ado, I shall get to the topic at hand," he announced almost too loudly, "I have managed to stall Harry's expulsion from Hogwarts for the time being, However, I was unsuccessful in convincing the Ministry to drop the charges on the basis of self-defence. His trial before the Wizengamot is scheduled for August 12th."

"A full trial? How can they do that?" asked a visibly upset Arthur Weasley. "How can the Ministry claim that it was anything other than self-defence?" he ranted as leaned into the table to be better seen by Albus. "After all, the boy and his cousin were attacked by Dementors!"

"It seems as if the Ministry is not totally convinced as to the validity of Harry's story," The Headmaster calmly stated, only the slight narrowing of his eyes gave any indication of his own indignation at the unfairness of it all.

Black cried out, as he sprang from his chair. He was obviously offended that the Ministry had essentially called his godson a liar. "To Hell with the Ministry! I'll kiss the south end of a northbound hippogriff before I see my godson railroaded!" His eyes indicated that he would curse anyone who dared challenge him.

Severus thought it would be worth some serious Galleons to see Black kiss the southbound side of a northbound hippogriff.

Albus reached out and put his hand on Black's forearm. "Sit down Sirius, there is no reason to upset yourself at this time. I will personally defend Harry. I promise you, they will not take his wand," he assured the brazen cur.

Black was still on his feet. "If I must, I will take him into hiding!" He was obviously unconvinced by the Headmaster.

The Headmaster warned Black, "I am sorry Sirius, but I will not allow you to do that. Such an action would be rash and too foolish to even contemplate," Black was still standing in defiance, refusing to yield his position.

Black was about to give a reply to the Headmaster that he may have regretted. "Sirius, sit down," Lupin said in a voice that was meant to calm his friend. Severus silently cursed the werewolf. He was so looking forward to the Headmaster's reaction. "The Headmaster means what he says. He will not allow Harry to be railroaded. You must trust Albus." Black slowly, yet reluctantly sat down.

"Rest assured Sirius, the Ministry will not get their hands on Harry," Albus continued as if the outburst never happened, "I have already made arrangements for Harry's safe keeping as well as additional training over the summer."

Here it comes, thought Severus. He was almost giddy with anticipation thinking about the look that would come over the mangy mutt's face. This was going to be good.

"What arrangements?" asked Black. "I thought Harry was staying here over the summer." Severus could tell that Black steeling himself for an answer that he was sure he wouldn't like.

"I have arranged for Harry to remain at Hogwarts until the term begins," the Headmaster stated as if nothing more need be said.

"I don't understand," said Black, obviously confused. "Why can't he remain here with me?"

"Because Harry will be learning under Master-Apprentice type conditions and Grimmauld Place is hardly conducive to the type of learning he requires."

"Master-Apprentice? How do you mean? And who exactly will be Harry's Master?" inquired Black, making no attempt to hide his irritation.

Albus simply said, "Severus will be responsible for Harry's care and tutelage this summer."

Black looked totally gob smacked. It was priceless. "Come again, Headmaster?"

"I seem to be asked that question quite a bit as of late," Albus said, barely suppressing his amusement.

Everyone else in the room looked as equally stunned as Black.

Then Severus finally spoke up. "The Headmaster said that Potter will be under my care Black. Are you deaf or did the doxies that infest this place lay eggs in your ears?" An ironic reply considering Severus' own reaction when he was told the same thing.

Everyone in the room became aware of Severus' presence at the same time. All heads, with the exception of Black's turned at once. Everyone was staring at Severus in stunned silence. Black was still glaring at the Headmaster.

Black then slowly stood up and turned towards Severus. His teeth were clenched and he hissed low and dangerously, "What did you say, Snivellus?"

"I said…"

""LIKE HELL HE WILL!" As Severus expected-Black lunged at him.

Kingsley Shacklebolt sprang from his seat next to Black and caught him by the waist. In that same second Lupin had bounded over the table with one leap,(quite impressive, Severus had to reluctantly admit to himself) helping the Auror to hold Sirius back while at the same time grabbing his friend's wand hand to keep him from cursing Snape.

All Hell had broken loose as the other members cried their indignation at once and tried to question the Headmaster above the chaos echoing off the walls.

Severus stood as silent and unmoving as a statue during the entire incident, his arms crossed with an amused grin gracing his countenance. It was every bit as good as he thought it would be. He chuckled so low and deeply, no one else could hear him.

The Headmaster had managed to get the other Order members to back off and take their seats with a promise that he would divulge as much as he was able as soon as everybody managed to calm themselves. His eyes gave a quick flash to Black.

Sirius Black had no intention of calming himself. When it became obvious to Dumbledore that nothing less than Severus' blood would placate the man, the Headmaster cast a quick sleeping spell upon the deranged mutt.

Lupin and Shacklebolt caught Black before he hit the floor. Black looked behind his shoulder to the Headmaster as he cradled his friend, "Was that really necessary Headmaster?"

Albus replied, "What do you think?"

"Never mind."


Remus had come back to the kitchens feeling thoroughly harassed. He had taken Sirius upstairs to bed only to be accosted by a quintet of curious and aggravated teens.

Ron, Hermione, Ginny and the twins, Fred and George, had been trying to listen in on the meeting only to be foiled by the Headmaster's Muffliato Charm, a nifty little trick that he had oddly enough, learned from Snape.

Then at the sight of seeing Sirius being led upstairs by Remus via a Mobilicorpus, they pestered Remus for answers like a murder of crows.

It took nearly thirty minutes to wrestle his way past the adolescents, get Sirius settled and then get back to the kitchen so he could get some answers to a whole hell of a lot of questions.

"Did you stop to read Black a bedtime story, Lupin?" Snape asked in his dry sarcastic manner, "You certainly took your own sweet time to return."

Remus shot him a look and was return an equally scathing jibe of his own, but thought better of it. Remus had his fill of immaturity for one day. He simply sat back at the table and waited for Albus to explain himself.

Most of the Order members had left. Only Albus, Severus, Professor McGonagall, Alastor Moody, the senior Weasleys, and himself remained.

Severus had joined the rest of the company at the table. Albus had bid him to take the chair recently vacated by Black. Severus obliged, but not before taking his wand and changing his chair out. Typical! He was not about to defile himself by sitting in the same seat as the" filthy mutt." The gesture did not go unnoticed by rest of the Order and it was obvious that Severus did not care.

Severus sat in the chair with his arms folded and angled slightly away from the Headmaster so he could face the others. He looked as though he had nothing to hide.

"Albus, would you care to enlighten the rest of us as to why you believe it a wise decision to leave Mr Potter in Severus' care?" inquired the Deputy Headmistress. "I thought you liked the boy. No offence," she nodded to Severus.

"None taken," Severus nodded back to his colleague. Apparently he had been wondering the same thing.

Albus sat up and spoke, "With Voldemort now returned to full power, Harry will be in more than physical danger. Although I am not at liberty to disclose my hypothesis, I have valid reasons to believe that he will be in danger from mental invasion. In order to keep Harry from disclosing any information that may be advantageous to our enemy, not to mention for the sake of his own sanity, I have asked Severus to teach Harry Occlumency this summer and Severus has been kind enough to agree."

"Humph" Severus' shoulders shrugged as he softly snorted and he gave Albus a fleeting glance.

"Why can't you teach him yourself, Headmaster?" asked Remus. He was purposefully looking directly at the Headmaster so he could avoid looking at Severus. "I do not claim to be by an expert at the Mind Arts, but isn't a certain level of trust needed between the Master and Apprentice for effective learning. After all," he continued, "It is no secret that Harry and Severus can't stand each other."

"Sorry Lupin, I've already tried that one." Severus said mostly to himself. Remus just gave him a confused stare.

Albus answered, "As much as I would gladly teach Harry myself, I am bowing to Severus' superior skills in this matter. I also have obligations that will take me away from Hogwarts for extended periods. I simply will not have the time to teach him."

"Will he be safe?" Remus asked lowering his voice the Headmaster.

"Why Lupin," sniffed Severus, "I am truly touched by your concern," he sniffed again rubbing the corner of is eye, as if brushing away a non-existent tear.

"Not you- -you idiot. I was speaking of Harry!" Remus bit back in frustration. He still did not like the idea.

"I know of whom you speak, Wolf," Severus was serious now. His voice low and silky, his delivery deliberate, and his face blank of expression, as if speaking to one of his 'dunderhead' students. "Though I agree with your assessment of the animosity between Potter and myself, I am also perfectly aware of what is required to teach Occlumency. I will not lie to you and say that it will be easy. I am not totally convinced myself that Potter and I can move beyond our open hostility for each other. However, I assure you this… I am willing to do what it takes to make this endeavour successful. If Mr Potter is respectful, willing, and has half the brain you claim he has, I have no doubt that this can work."

Then as a postscript Severus quickly added, "And I… promisenottochophimintopotioningredients."

Everyone stared bemusedly at Severus. Remus and his fellow Order members may not have been happy with the situation, but Albus' and Severus' logic was sound. They each silently, yet reluctantly realised that this was the best course of action.

Molly Weasley sounded in, "Albus I will agree to this, as long as you promise that if for any reason this scheme of yours seems destined to fail, you will send Harry straight to The Burrow."

"Fair enough Molly," said Albus, as if she actually had a say in the matter.

"However, if that unfortunate situation should arise, it will be up to Harry. He may prefer to stay here with his godfather." Molly looked deflated as she nodded in agreement.

"Now Alastor," said Albus, thus announcing that the subject of Harry's Occlumency lessons was closed. "You have had two weeks. Do you have your advanced guard chosen to escort Harry here tomorrow?"

"I do," Moody said. His voice was harsh, as if he smoked too many Muggle cigarettes. "I have the advance team ready. Here is the list of volunteers," he handed the Headmaster a role of parchment.

Albus unrolled the parchment and gave it a quick glance. He nodded in satisfaction. "Assemble here at five o'clock tomorrow evening. I have arranged for the Dursley's to be away tomorrow night. You will all Apparate to Privet drive and then fly back here."

"I thought Harry was staying at Hogwarts," Arthur said.

Dumbledore answered, "He will Floo to Hogwarts from here by the end of the week. I thought that he may like a diversion with Sirius and his friends before he his forced to concentrate on more serious matters."

Albus arose. "Now, unless anyone has any other topics for discussion, I say we call this meeting adjourned."

Everybody rose and exited at once in a mass exodus out the kitchen door.

"There is one other thing," Remus turned to Severus, feeling rather embarrassed. "Severus, I hope it's no bother, but you wouldn't happen to have a Calming Draught on you? Sirius will be... less than pleasant when he finally wakes up."

Severus rolled his eyes and gave a heavy sigh, feigning exasperation. He reached into his robes and with his long fingers, handed Remus a phial of Calming Draught.

Severus intoned dryly, "Don't say I never give you anything."