Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to Ash for the beta'ing!
A Routine to Follow and Life to Lead

Breakfast would have been eaten in total silence if Lily hadn't been so against such muteness during a meal. The boys listened and nodded accordingly as she chatted about random topics and interest, until the food was gone and she hovered the plates to the sink.

'Mum?' Harry said suddenly before either adult could speak. 'I-I need to ask you something.' He exhaled anxiously and stared at his entwined hands that sat on the table.

'What is it, Harry?' Lily asked, wondering why he looked so doubtful and nervous.

'I don't remember living here and all that stuff.' Harry said in one breath. 'I don't...I don't know how to be a son, or have family...like this one.' He blushed. 'And I don't think dad knows how to be a father.' Harry added and eyed Snape, remembering to call the man “dad” as often as he could.

'Loathe I am to admit it, the br-Harry is right.' Severus sighed and looked over at Lily with an apologetic expression, feeling he had failed her somehow.

'Oh, why didn't you say so?' Lily exhaled with relief and sympathy. 'It'll come back naturally, but a little boost can't hurt.' She nodded and sat down.

'Harry, being a son isn't a job or with set requirements.' Lily told him sadly. 'Just be yourself and act naturally. We're your parents, there is little you could do to truly disappoint or anger us.' She smiled, not noticing the way Severus rolled his eyes at the last comment.

'As long as you're happy, safe, and being the best person you can be...you'll do fine.' She nodded and turned to her husband. 'It's us who do all the work.' Lily joked. 'A father, for the most part, is simply there. Whenever Harry needs comfort, advice, assistance or company, we'll be there for him.' She promised her son and reached across the table to hold his hand.

'We love you, Harry...that's what really matters.'

'I believe the schedule states there are chores in which are to be completed?' Severus said and abruptly stood from the table.

Lily rolled her eyes at her husband and sighed. 'You heard the man: enough of this sentimentality, we have work to do!' She joked to Harry, who smiled back with amusement.

The teenager really enjoyed the times his mother picked on Snape because the man never seemed to be able to say anything back.

Harry, used to all the chores the Dursleys gave him to do on his own, found this was something he could handle easily, though it was odd to see the adults preparing to do the chores as well.

'What would you like me to do?' Harry asked and frowned as a thought occurred to him. 'Uh, are we doing this the muggle or magic way?'

'Because this is a more muggle area, the garbage is to be taken out the muggle way.' Lily nodded. 'The kitchen is to be cleaned the magical way while the clothes are a bit of both.'

Lily watched Severus head to the rubbish bin and nudged Harry towards the kitchen. Summoning her son's wand (Harry was shocked he'd forgotten it as he wasn't used to being allowed it during the holidays. He also ignored the disapproval Snape cast him for his forgetfulness), and showed him how to do things magically.

'I thought under-age wizards aren't allowed to do magic outside of school?' Harry questioned.

'In a muggle household.' Lily said. 'It's not encouraged, however the loophole is with magical parents, the trace can't actually detect who is doing it.' She winked. 'Your father learned that when he was in school - since his mother was a witch, but his father a muggle.'

Snape was a half-blood?

Harry stared for a moment, and paid close attention to the spells his mother taught him. With a hint of eagerness, Harry raised his wand and watched as the sink filled with water and soap. The dishes hovered their way into the waiting water and cleaned themselves, before stacking nearby, completely dried.

'Wow.' He grinned, even if he had seen something similar at the Burrow.

'The same works for the washing.' Lily explained. 'The clothes will go into the machine, along with the required power and soap liquids, and I've charmed it to start right away. The spell continues when the door opens, the clothes dry themselves as they move to the basket.'

'I love magic.' Harry smiled as he looked around. 'Can I do this for my room, too?'

'Nice try, young man.' Lily shook her head with mock sternness. 'No, since your room doesn't need washing, merely rearranging, there is no reason why you cannot use your own two hands for it.' She explained.

-- 

Just as the chores were finished, Harry moved to head upstairs to check the tidiness of his room, however a sound outside caused him to hesitate on the first step. He saw Snape tense, yet Lily only rolled her eyes and turned towards the front door, which soon burst open.

'Why good morning jolly lads and lovely lass!' A grinning wizard exclaimed.

Harry recognised him instantly and rushed closer with a wide grin on his face, whereas Severus clutched his wand and glared with utmost loathing.

'Sirius!' Harry said.

'Stop hogging the doorway, Padfoot!' Came another voice as James joined them, to the further irritation of Severus.

Harry paused and stared at his real father and had to bite his lip to keep back his emotions.

He had seen pictures and an enchanted reflection in a mirror, but to see James Potter standing before him in the flesh was overwhelming. He winced when a hand clamped on his shoulder from behind. Harry glanced back to see Snape's warning glare, reminding him that things were different in this time and place. Harry didn't care, but he showed enough restraint not to call James his "dad" or anything similar.

'Ah, Snape!' Sirius smirked at the man. 'I see all the beauty sleep has had no impact on you.' He teased.

'What about me?' Harry jumped in, eager to be involved in the conversation with his otherwise father and godfather.

'Hm.' James stepped closer and Severus retreated while Lily simply watched with amusement. 'I'm not sure, what do you think, Padfoot?'

Sirius and James stood in front of Harry, checking his appearance and trying not to laugh as they pretended to determine how the "beauty sleep" had helped him, if at all.

'Well, I'd say he's almost handsome.' James nodded.

'Couldn't agree more, Prongs.' Sirius added and ruffled Harry's hair. 'Must be Lily's genes, eh?'

'Ouch, someone slip something in your morning tea, Snape?' James finally noticed the hateful glare he was receiving. 'Strange, we haven't done that in years!'

'Must have something to do with whatever Lily wrote about.' Sirius rolled his eyes and glanced at the smiling Harry. 'We're glad you're okay though, kid.. It hasn't been the same without you or your dad.'

'True. We've searched high and low for a new partner or dedicated target in pranking, however there are slim selections.' James shook his head and then became serious. 'How are you all doing? We thought to drop by and see if we're needed in any way.'

'We're adjusting.' Lily replied. 'Otherwise I think we're doing really well, considering.'

'Why is it that three Snapes live in a Gryffindor place, anyway?' Sirius asked as he glanced around the house, since it was located in Godric's Hollow. 'Hey, mind if we hang out for a while, Lils? We promise to behave.'

Harry laughed and looked around to see how his mother reacted and she appeared to still get along with the pair really well. Even if James wasn't her husband here, at least they were friends, Harry thought. He realised Snape was quiet and saw the hatred elevating from his gaze. Harry noticed the man's wand in reach and inched away from him with caution.

He had always known it, but to see Snape's deep dislike for James and Sirius at once was quite worrying.

He wondered if he was supposed to be a little more neutral because Snape was supposed to be his father, and surely sons weren't supposed to be so delighted to see his father's enemies? Though they didn't appear to be such here and Lily got along with them fine.

'I don't think you're supposed to hate them here.' Harry whispered to Snape as he dared to approach the man. 'It might look weird.'

Severus glared at him, even as his posture instantly calmed and his grip on his wand slackened. His eyes remained additionally darkened and cold as he watched the interactions between Lily and James.

For a moment, Harry wondered why Snape seemed saddened, yet brushed it off and turned to listen to a joke Sirius was telling about the Giant Squid at Hogwarts.

'Are we ready to go?' James asked.

'Go?' Harry repeated. 'Go where?' He looked over at his mother, who was summoning her cloak from nearby.

Severus glanced her way as well, looking as tense as always - Harry could easily tell the man was withholding anything he wanted to say or react with.

'An outing is scheduled.' Lily reminded them. 'And since lunch isn't too far off, I thought we could all go for a bit of catching up and shopping.' She said. 'And there's a new store in Hogsmeade I want to see.'

Harry grinned and rushed up to his room for a jacket as instructed. He was excited to be spending time not just with his mother but his “real” father and recently discovered godfather as well. Snape...well, he could just try to pretend the man away, even if it was theoretically impossible.

Pausing at his wardrobe, Harry looked at the jacket in his hand and reached for a black cloak instead, wanting to feel more like a wizard than a muggle. Normally he didn't care, but those who hated him were muggles and those that loved him were magical, so he felt to be further belonging by acting the part. He put his cloak on and frowned at how he appeared to be even more like Snape with it, yet was pleased with how he looked like a wizard.

He turned to hurry from his room, eager to go on this outing with his regained family, unlike the few the Dursleys had reluctantly taken him on.

With a grin on his face, Harry took the stairs two at a time, only to hesitate on the last step.

His mother and Sirius were talking just outside the door and he could hear her laughter, yet his grin faded when he saw James and Snape. They weren't facing each other as James was looking at a family picture on a wall while he waited. Snape was watching James with deep loathing, yet Harry saw less than just hatred and wondered why the man looked so uncomfortable. As far as Harry knew, here his mother and Snape were married while she and James were not.

Why did Snape care so much?

What was it about his father, James, that the man hated when Sirius seemed to give him more reason to do so?

'Dad?' Harry said in a low tone, feeling bad about saying that to Snape with James nearby.

Severus flinched and looked towards Harry. He frowned and placed his wand up his sleeve as he peered over towards Lily and seemed to calm considerably.

'All set, Harry?' James asked as he approached them, ignoring Sirius' impatient complaining from outside.

'Yes...sir.' Harry swallowed, not sure what to call him and fought to make sure he didn't slip up with “dad” or something. 'How are we getting to Hogsmeade?'

'Apparation.' James answered. 'And please, don't call me “sir”. I'm not a professor and it makes me feel old.' He cracked a smile, which Harry returned. 'Just “James” will do. I see you really don't remember your life here. Don't worry, you can count on us to help you feel at home again.' James winked.

'Thanks, James.' Harry smiled and felt warm at the support from the other wizards. He heard his mother calling him, so Harry went to join her and Sirius outside, wondering what apparation was and if he should have asked.

'Severus, Lily told me we were enemies where...well, whatever made-up place you were at when you were in the coma.' James said. 'She didn't say much, but I got the impression there or then I earned your hatred. I promise you, here we may have fun mocking you but we do care about your son...about Harry. We think of you like an annoying brother, but still family.' He sighed and readjusted his glasses.

'I don't expect you to let go of your hatred so easily. I only ask that you give Sirius and me a chance. Let go of your grudge before it consumes you here. Look at Harry, he's so happy and willing to adapt. Surely his father can do the same?' James asked with a calculating, curious expression.

'And Lily?' Severus glared at James.

The other man was quiet as he turned around and watched the redhead fussing over her son, while Sirius tried to ruffle the boy's hair.

James smiled and nodded to Severus.

'She wouldn't tell me anything about that, only the fact she married someone else. Was it me?' James guessed from Severus' reaction. 'Well, here is what matters. Think of the other life as one long nightmare. You're awake now, literally, and here you got the girl. I have no resentment for it and you two have a great kid. I'm proud to be his godfather, as is Sirius, though he may whine about being the “back up” as he calls it.' James said. 'Just give us a chance...it's all I ask.'

Severus, unable to say anything without weighting the pros and cons first, merely strode outside the house. He stood with Lily and prepared to endure whatever outing the Marauders had in mind for them.

 


 

After apparating to Hogsmeade, which Harry discovered was a horribly uncomfortable way to travel, the group headed straight for Zonko's at the pleading request of Sirius. Harry, who had only been to Hogsmeade a few times, hurried after him with James not far behind.

With every ounce of reluctance, Severus wanted to wait outside and would have had Lily not grabbed his hand and pulled him along after the eager Gryffindors.

Stepping into the store, Severus looked around with a tense posture as he saw trouble everywhere. He had only been to this store once before and that had been enough to convince him to never want to be inside it again.

Though, he hid a smile as he watched Lily laughing at the things Harry showed her, feeling blessed yet undeserving towards the wonderful sight Severus thought he'd never see again. And for her smile alone, he would tolerate the Gryffindors he despised a very great deal and for a long time.

Except, oddly enough, Harry.

Severus didn't like the brat at all, yet he was much less irritating when James and Sirius themselves were right there suggesting he should purchase bat-shaped candy for himself when they'd ventured to Honeydukes, whereas Harry actually defended him.

'No, dad won't like that!' Harry said. For a moment Severus wondered what had motivated the brat or if he was just trying to stay civil. 'The snake ones might be better.'

Severus looked away, convinced he was over-thinking everything. Of course the brat was still a needle in his shoe, but at least it was easier to justify ignoring the boy and focusing all his dislike onto the other adult wizards. If one could so loosely call them that, Severus thought, as he rolled his eyes at the armfuls of candy they were purchasing whereas Harry simply made recommendations and laughed alongside them.

He was startled from his thoughts when something warm touched his forearm, the exact space where the Dark Mark should have been, but wasn't.

He looked from the hand towards its owner, where Lily stood across from him and smiled with that lovely smile of hers. Neither said a word, as Lily soon looked back at her son and made sure the trio of male Gryffindors weren't buying their way to a dreadful stomach-ache. Severus remained watching her for a moment longer, something he hadn't realised Harry to notice, and then lowered his gaze to her hand again. She skin was soft and smooth, even though the material over his forearm, yet it didn't feel right for her to be touching the very place of his arm where the Dark Mark had been. The evil brand in which had been a constant, painful reminder of his errors. He should pull his arm away, but could not.

Severus tried to ignore it, instead, even if such a notion was impossible. He didn't let people touch him for a reason, but he could never deny Lily, less so after he'd thought to have lost her.

Harry had seen the exchange and wondered if his previous theory was correct. He didn't know what he thought of the idea of his once-hated professor liking his mother. Here that man was supposed to be his father, not James who was leading the way out the doors of Honeydukes so they could head to the Three Broomsticks for lunch. He'd always loved his parents, even when he'd had no real memory of them, and now they were real people he could talk to, hug, and ask for guidance from.

It didn't feel right to replace James with Snape.

Harry watched his mother a moment longer as they walked, seeing how she wrapped an arm around Snape's and smiled at the good weather above. He expected the Slytherin man to look uncomfortable and annoyed. Harry only saw reluctance and confusion, which in turn made him further unsure about how he felt in regards to the pair.

And whenever those thoughts occurred, Harry would simply retreat back to playing along. As they passed a few stores, he was suddenly inspired to do something he had never felt justified for at any point in his life previously: to selfishly take full advantage of anything offered to him.

'Dad, can we go look in Scrivenshaft's Quill Shop?' Harry urged, not thinking too straight as he reached over and grasped the man's right wrist with his own two hands.

If he'd realised, the teenager would likely have been deathly horrified by his actions. Severus was.

'Go ahead.' Lily encouraged. 'We'll wait for you.' She nodded, doing a good job of pretending not to notice Severus' started look of concealed panic.

He glared down at the brat and opened his mouth to protest against such a ridiculous notion. Raising his hand to yank his wrist away, Severus wondered if the brat had hit his head because he wasn't letting go and proceeded to unsuccessfully pull him towards the street where the store in question was.

'You son wants to spend some time with you.' Lily hissed in his ear. 'Go on, he's been eyeing the store since we got here.' She gave him a nudge, which was a sensation that spread to his feet because he was suddenly following after the thorn of a boy.

'Cease this atrocious behaviour, Potter!' Severus growled and managed to jerk his wrist safely away from Harry, who didn't even react to the action.

They were standing in front of the store now and Severus made no move to enter it, glaring down at the teenager who he was convinced was going to put him in an early gave, if he didn't do it himself.

'What?' Harry turned to look at him, feign confusion the man so easily saw through. He was glad to be in the middle of a street, otherwise he had no doubt a painful curse, string of insults, or manhandling would have occurred.

'Explain yourself.' Severus growled. 'Now!'

'I wanted to get mum something.' Harry knew better than to lie or avoid the topic, as he looked down at his feet with embarrassment. 'I couldn't ask her to bring me here or she'd have known. I want to surprise her, as I heard her talking about how she needed a new quill. I'd ask Sirius or James, but...' He didn't admit allowed his reasons for not doing so.

Honestly, he wasn't sure if they were that great at keeping it a surprise or wouldn't offer their opinions for the most dramatic and colourful array of items. Of course, it was a bit of an excuse as he hadn't thought to get his mother something until now. Really Harry was living a lifelong desire to drag his father off to a store. It was simplistic enough, but to Harry it was what he'd always seen and never experienced. Snape or not, he wasn't going to let the opportunity pass.

'Please?' Harry looked pleadingly at Snape. 'I promise I won't be long. Could you come with me?'

'Are you so incapable of selecting a single quill that you require supervision and assistance?' Severus sneered. 'I shall remain here. You have two minutes.' He said and reached to his pocket for some money, since the boy had none.

'No, please!' Harry insisted. 'I'm sorry. I'll be nicer if you come with me. I just...I want something mum will really like and you know her better than I do.' He looked away sadly.

'I am sure she will be pleased with any selection you choose simply because it is a gift from her son.' Severus sighed and wondered why the boy wished to continuously torture him. He didn't even take up the Slytherin bait of striking up some sort of deal for the boy's better behaviour. He had no assumptions that the brat could follow through with such.

Harry hunched his shoulders and didn't want to go in the store anymore. It wasn't much point if Snape wasn't going to comply to his vision and the man didn't look like he was going to budge in his adamant decision.

'Okay.' Harry said in a low tone and held out his hand for the money, his dark eyes staring at the ground as he swallowed back emotions.

It was a stupid thing to get upset by, yet his dream had been yanked from under him and Harry felt a rage towards Snape re-emerge. Until he realised his hand was still empty and no money had been handed to him. Looking up, he flinched at the look he was receiving, only to release a yelp when his arm was grasped and he was unceremoniously pulled towards the store.

'Two minutes, Harry.'

Trying to force down a grin, Harry nodded and turned to look around at the quills and stationary on sale. Passing the dramatic items he assumed the two Marauders would instantly browse, he observed the colours and purposes with a smile. He never turned around, but he noticed the shadow of Snape looming nearby as he walked and tried to pretend it was his father, a real father and not his annoying professor who was pretending as he was.

'What's her favourite colour?' Harry finally turned when he wasn't sure which quill to pick.

He never imagined how stressful and insure such a simple purchase could be, but he'd never bought anything for his mother before, not on her birthdays, during mother's day, or at Christmas.

Severus felt his anger sap a little when the boy asked him what Lily's favourite colour was. He knew, of course, but her only child did not. Despite himself, he felt sad for the child, until he remembered who the brat was.

'Her preference varies with her mood and the weather.' Severus sighed. 'I would recommend violet, blue, or green.' He added when Harry looked stricken by his reply.

Honestly, it was just a quill, so Severus couldn't see why it was so bloody important and worth him living through this torture.

With the new information, Harry focused on the quills of those colours, finally directed his attention to a beautiful parrot feather quill which was blue and green. It reminded him of some-place tropical and peaceful, so it was perfect and met the colour suggestions. It even came with a few enchantments so it would last longer and remain beautiful.

He was aware that they'd been in the store for nearly eight minutes, if his watch was correct, yet neither man nor teenager commented on it as they headed towards the counter.

'I hope she likes it.' Harry worried and was second-guessing his purchase, which only had the money shoved towards him faster. 'Could I get it wrapped, and with a violet ribbon?' He asked, then paused to look up at Snape. 'Is that okay?'

Severus said nothing as he handed over additional money. He just wanted to get out of the store and rejoin Lily, though he preferred the boy's company over the two Marauders. And when he was finally granted brief freedom as they stepped outside, Harry clutching the silver wrapped gift like a lifeline, Severus realised the boy was not finished.

'Thank you.' Harry said as he looked at Snape, fidgeting under the gratitude he was not used to expressing to the man. 'You didn't have to, but I can tell you like my mum and you're not too bad, I mean when you're not teaching.' He said hurriedly and wished he wasn't blushing with his words.

Severus granted the boy a small nod and turned to lead the way to the Three Broomsticks, occasionally checking the brat hadn't wandered off. He didn't care if Harry did, but Lily would be most displeased, Severus told himself.

 


 

After lunch, the group gathered outside and proceeded to discuss Quidditch while Lily excused herself to visit a friend and the new store she had wanted to have a look at. Severus tried to go with her, but she insisted she wouldn't be long and left him no choice as she rushed off without him, leaving him at the mercy of the three Gryffindors. Thankfully, they mostly ignored him and interrogated Harry about what he was hiding, until Severus took pity on the teenager and shrunk the present so the boy could safety tuck it into his own pocket.

Severus wouldn't want the object to be ruined otherwise he'd have been dragged off to that store for nothing.

'Mum, what's wrong?' Harry's voice of concern yanked Severus from his thoughts and he quickly looked over at the red-haired witch.

'Lils?' James asked as well while Sirius fussed with a prank item that had become stuck to his face, clouding his vision.

Lily's smile was gone and her shoulders hunched in a manner identical to how Harry had appeared moments ago, a fact Severus was surprised to realise as he had always been under the assumption the boy had only inherited her smile and parts of her temper.

'I'm okay.' Lily assured them, though her forlorn face and lowered tone did not inspire confidence to her words. 'My friend, Stacy, she's got a situation with her nephew and...well, she needs my help at the store for the next week or so.' She looked from Harry to Severus and back again.

'I would be there almost all day. I know she wouldn't have asked unless she was desperate, but...I couldn't leave you two at the house all day. Not after what happened and that you're both awake now.'

'But your friend needs you.' Harry reasoned.

Severus was torn between trying to keep Lily all to himself or offering to take her place. He knew where she was going with her words and was almost glad the brat hadn't figured it out yet or he wouldn't be so willing. They could both see how loyal Lily was to a friend in need and really wanted to help.

James and Sirius, however, saw it as a family matter and busiest themselves with their purchases a short distance away.

'Will you two be okay without me?' Lily worried. 'It's only been a few days. I wish someone else was available, but Alice is looking after Neville because he's sick and Frank has to work. Mary's on a honeymoon and Claude is starting up his new business abroad.'

'You wouldn't be gone entirely, Lily.' Severus didn't like to see her so conflicted and in turmoil, therefore putting up with the whining brat for a week was hardly punishment if it made her feel better. 'Harry and I shall manage for a week.'

He tried to hide his mild smugness when he heard the boy gasp in realisation that with Lily being away all day for a week, it would leave only himself and Severus at the house during that time.

'Are you sure?' Lily looked at him. 'We're supposed to be doing this as a family. I feel terrible...you both need me.'

'At this moment, your friend requires your assistance far more than we do.' Severus continued while Harry reluctantly nodded.

'Okay.' Lily conceded with a heavy sigh. 'You'll be fine to do the chores and meals while I'm away? Maybe I shouldn't stay there too long so I can at least help with dinner?'

'We shall be fine.' Severus insisted. 'Have you so little faith in our competency that we cannot keep the house from being destroyed in your absence? You worry excessively, Lily.' He did his best to keep his tone light enough that she will know he didn't mean anything harsh by his words.

A stranger walking past might even accuse him of teasing.

While Harry glared at him, Severus wasn't sure how he felt about the smile forming on Lily's face as she looked at him. It had been so very long since Severus had done or said anything to make her smile like that.

'You're right.' Lily nodded, much to Harry's surprise. 'I'm being silly. Okay, well...I suppose we should make the most of this afternoon. I'll start at the store first thing tomorrow morning.'

--

And so it was decided.

An hour later the group returned to their home in Godric's Hollow with Lily trying to be confident and worry less about the coming week. James and Sirius said good bye shortly after, which was something that saddened Harry. He was stunned when Severus bid the Marauders goodbye with actual civility, though likely he'd never have greeted them with such contentedness so Harry just assumed the man was pleased to see them leave.

It was almost four in the afternoon by that point, and according to the schedule Lily had drawn up for them, they had skipped over family time and everyone had an hour of free time before beginning preparations for dinner.

Harry wasn't surprised nor disappointed when Snape vanished the moment he realised he was free to do as he wanted.

The man headed upstairs and Harry didn't follow. He walked to where his mother had seated herself on a sofa and hesitated before he sat softly beside her.

'Your father's right, I am worrying too much.' Lily said before he had the chance to figure out what to say. 'I just got you both back and now I'm not going to be around for a week.' She looked at her son and brushed some hair from his face with a smile.

'I miss you again already.'

'Don't worry, mum.' Harry told her. 'Dad can do anything. He'll make sure everything gets done and I promise you'll come home to a nice dinner every night, okay?'

'Oh, Harry.' Lily hugged him. 'You're such a sweetheart.'

'I love you, mum.' Harry told her again as they leaned back. 'And I got you something.' He smiled, pulling out the shrunken wrapped present. 'Um, I don't know how to...?'

'Here.' Lily lifted her wand and the object re-sized. 'Is this for me?' She was very surprised and delighted as she removed the violet ribbon and silver wrapping.

'It's not much.' Harry blushed. 'I just...you said you need a new quill and I wanted to get you a nice one. Dad helped me because I didn't know your favourite colour.' He felt guilty, unaware that Severus was at the top of the stairs with his wand in hand, shamelessly using an eavesdropping charm.

'It's perfect.' Lily hugged Harry again with a grin on her face. 'Of course, since everything you give me I love. I'll treasure this quill, Harry. It's very tropical, don't you think?'

'That's what I thought!' Harry agreed. 'It was pretty and brought happiness, just like you, mum.'

Severus stepped back into the shadows, his hand loosely gripping a book he had wanted to read as he had intended to give the situation a better effort and join the pair.

Now he couldn't...it was unnatural.

Hearing laughter from downstairs, Severus lowered his wand and ducked his head, letting his hair shield his face as he closed his eyes. Turning, he retreated to the guest bedroom he had been sleeping in and sat on the bed, looking down at his feet as he wondered if this was real. If not, he had to get back to their own time and place as soon as possible.

If it was real...Severus was truly lost.

And in his confusion, all he could think of was when Harry had grabbed his wrist to drag him off to the store so he could purchase a gift for Lily to remind her he thought of her often and loved her. Severus could never offer such sentiments, he believed, but that was not why the memory kept resurfacing in his mind.

For a few seconds, he hadn't glimpsed Harry Potter, he had instead only seen the dark-haired boy with obsidian eyes, wearing a black cloak as he tugged Severus' wrist and called him “dad".

Chapter End Notes:
Please take a moment to review!