Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Ash

I sat, swaying a little dizzily on the spot and looking at the calendar, trying to figure out what day it was. I cocked my head from side to side, wracking my brains until I had determined that it was the twenty-first of December. I let out a breath and went off to try to transform back to myself again. I concentrated until my head spun, and then I stumbled over to lay by the fire. I watched the flames dancing as coughs rattled down my spine, feeling like some sort of pitiful family pet that was on its deathbed. I was distracted from my dark thoughts by the sound of a knock on the door. Molly let the person in, and I soon saw that it was Minerva. My heart leaped in excitement, and I shakily got up and walked over to her.

"Who is this?" she asked Molly as I greeted her excitedly and tried to tell her that it was me. Surely Minerva would recognize an animagus when she saw one.

"A fox that we found the other day," said Molly. "He's quite friendly, and we're trying to restore his health."

"And he hasn't been any trouble being in the house?" Minerva mentioned, and Molly said that I hadn't been, looking baffled. If only they could just put two and two together! It seemed so simple to me I was ready to scream - well, howl. "He's got a lovely coat."

I knew that Molly was used to odd animals needing medical care around here: Owls, pigs, cats, all manner of strange creatures. But surely she would realize that no normal fox would have been as calm in a house as I? Perhaps she just thought I was domesticated, or that I was too sick to do anything that might annoy them. It made me extremely grumpy that I didn't know why she was able to make sense of a fox as tame as a dog.

"Any news of Severus?" said Molly in a hushed tone once Minerva returned her attention to her. I pawed at Minerva's leg frantically. It's me! It's me! No, don't scratch my ears you daft woman!

"None, they have him hidden well," said Minerva. "We're in the midst of planning a rescue, assuming we can get through the wards."

I howled loudly. IT'S ME! IT'S SEVERUS! I wheezed some more, a noise that made Minerva cringe.

"Oh my, what a racket! Are you in pain?" asked Molly sympathetically. She then turned toward the stairs and called, "Ginny!"

"Yes?" came the reply in a moment, followed by footsteps and Ginny running down toward us. She waved at Minerva, who responded with a smile.

"I think it's time for some more Weasley's Wort," she said to Ginny, who rushed off immediately with a "Yes mum!".

"Weasley's Wort?" asked Minerva.

"It's a plant that's been growing in our back garden for quite some time now," said Mrs. Weasley. "We discovered it does wonders for colds and coughs and such. Brilliant, you know. I have never seen it anywhere besides in the back garden. I've been meaning to ask a Herbologist about it since we first found it, but I just never seem to get the time ..."

"How interesting," she told Molly with much curiosity. Her expression changed to one of weariness as she glanced at the clock. "I should be going; I have to go tell my niece how the rescue is going. She's quite upset about the whole thing."

I perked my ears up momentarily. She must mean Laura, I thought eagerly. But my joy was receded when I remembered that I was still stuck as a fox.

"Thank you for dropping by, Minerva," said Molly with a sigh as I pouted by her feet. She shook her head upon looking at me, and Minerva shut the door, giving me the strong desire to howl again.

Just as Molly was going upstairs, Ginny brought me a bowl with some of the Weasley's Wort steeping in water. It was fairly warm, but not hot. Ginny must have added some cool water so I wouldn't burn my tongue. I lapped the liquid up slowly, and found that I liked the tea better warm than the way Molly had given it to me - cold, that is. The warmth of the water and the odd coolness that came from the wort soothed my throat. The steam relaxed my lungs, beginning to clear my head for a short time. Ginny sat and watched me while I drank it.

"I decided on a name for you," she informed me. I paused in drinking, hoping it wouldn't be something stupid.

"Go on," I said, my statement sounding more like a strange throaty growl, though not angry like most growling seems.

"Ash," she said. "Do you like it?"

I thought for a moment, my ears twitching. I told her the name was alright, though this too sounded nothing like the words I had meant to form.

"I'll take that as a yes," she said with a smile, picking up the bowl and taking it away.

Alright, I was impressed; it wasn't something like Mr. Fluffy or something stupid like Blackie. I could live with Ash for the time being.

I got to my feet and walked around a little, surprised to find that my legs didn't shake near as much as before. The Weasley's Wort was doing the trick for the time being, so, to celebrate my semi-sound state, I decided to go upstairs to see if I could find Harry or Draco. Carefully, and not believing my luck that Molly was letting me roam about (though I had to admit there were enough people in the cramped house to make sure I wasn't being a nuisance), I went up the stairs, peering into rooms and hoping to find one of the boys. The journey up the stairs was no easy feat, and it took me a long time despite my legs being a little better. When I finally had gotten up the last flight of stairs I found Ron Weasley's room, and it was open a crack. I bunted it open with my nose and peered in. Ron and Harry were sitting on the floor, Harry's broomstick servicing kit open at their feet. I had made sure to bring it here for him when I brought a few of our things earlier in the week, hoping to keep him occupied. He was clipping a few stray twigs from his Firebolt, though not nearly as enthusiastically as he would usually. I noticed Draco was not in the room, and decided he must be in the shower, as I had heard it running.

"Look Ron, it's that fox," said Harry almost disinterestedly.

Ron however looked intrigued, and set down the polish, wiping his hands on a rag. I was taken aback at how much stronger the smell of the polish was to the nose of a fox.

He clicked his tongue and said, "here boy."

I huffed and sat down.

"He's probably a bit wild you know, not much point," said Harry, though I could tell that he had become mildly interested. I was relieved at this, for the detached way he had been tending to his Firebolt had worried me.

"I dunno, it still looks sick. I don't think it has the energy to mind us so much for the moment, you know?" said Ron. "Do you think it'd like owl treats?"

"Doubt it," Harry said. "I've yet to meet a carnivore that likes birdseed and honey."

"Good point," said Ron sheepishly, blushing. "It just ... it looks so ill ... like it's half-starved or something."

"You can't fatten everything up, Molly," muttered Harry. Ron looked horrified at the thought. I felt my insides glow at Harry's joke. It was a sign of hope for me. But my heart sunk when I realized he found no humour in his own statement.

"What do you think it's doing up here?" asked Harry as Ron spluttered.

"Er ... maybe it's looking for Ginny?"

"It looks a little lonely. Come here fox ... come on," said Harry, beckoning for me to come closer, and I did so gladly. He scratched my ears. After a while the boys went back to working on their broomsticks while I lay on the floor observing. They didn't seem to mind my presence, and so I stayed near Harry as long as I was given the chance to. I followed them downstairs, and feeling weak I lay down on the blanket. I was given my supper while the others ate, and following the meal everyone stayed down in the sitting room for a while, playing chess or exploding snap. Draco sat by the window. Harry too glanced frequently out the window. I tried once more change back. This was unsuccessful. I was surprised when Ginny sat down beside me. She set my little bowl of tea in front of me, and I gratefully lapped it up, already having been looking forward to the slight reprieve from aches and dizziness that it offered. When I was done she stared at me a moment.

"Your coat needs to be groomed," muttered Ginny absent mindedly to herself. "Don't foxes do that themselves?" I glared at her. "What's with you? Waiting for me to brush you or something? Sometimes I wonder if you weren't someone's pet."

I scowled, and she got up and left. She had a point. I gritted my teeth for a moment, and then stuck my tongue out and started with my paws. I did not enjoy fur on my tongue, but I resented looking like an un-groomed wild thing, so I put up with it for the sake of my dignity.

***

I awoke abruptly in the night, though not for the sharp pain that I had felt for such a long time in my lungs, but instead because I heard footsteps. My keen hearing picked up a dragging sound, and I quickly leaped to my feet, surprised at how well the Weasley Wort was working at keeping away my dizziness. I glanced at the carriage clock on the mantle, and it read one-o-clock. I heard the noise again by the stairs, and was surprised to find Harry up. I made a quiet huffing noise so as to alert him of my presence but not scare him. He did not respond, and continued to methodically walk toward the window. He stopped there, swaying a little on the spot. It was then that I trotted over to him, and I looked up, only to realize that he wasn't awake after all. He appeared to be sleepwalking. I grabbed a hold of one of the legs on his pyjama trousers and gently tried to get him to walk up to bed before he hurt himself, as I knew he would not wake easily. He didn't budge however, for I wasn't able to properly guide him by the shoulders. I stood very still for a moment, concentrating on my human form, and how it felt to be Severus, me. Great. Failure again, and I knew what I needed to do, and it would make me feel extremely stupid but for Harry's sake it needed to be done. So, a minute later I was scratching at Molly and Arthur's bedroom door like a silly dog, and wanting strongly to kick myself. It took a moment, but Molly, in her dressing gown, opened the door, and after a moment of looking around glanced down.

She looked rather confused, and surprised I had gotten up the stairs alright. I tugged at the hem of her dressing gown once to get her to follow me, and then started down the stairs. She appeared to get the message, for I could hear her feet descending behind me. I looked back to make sure and paused a second for her to catch up.

"Do you want outside?" she asked.

I scowled, and then ran over to Harry and clicked my paws against the floor, tugging on Harry's pyjama trouser.

"Oh my ... Harry, what are you doing?" she asked him. No response. She walked over, and in a moment she too realized he was sleepwalking.

"Thank you Ash," she said. I was surprised for a second to be called by the name that Ginny had decided upon. I followed closely as she guided him by the shoulders back to his bed, for he was unable to be woken. I wished I could be the one standing and helping him up the stairs, but instead I was stuck as a stupid fox. I wanted a disguise, but not from my own family!

***

Morning came, and Ginny gave me another bowl of the Weasley's Wort tea, and I had to admit I felt extremely energetic, though I was still coughing quite a bit. My injuries were faring much better now, and the dizziness and tremors seemed to have improved. After my breakfast I went outside to do my business (which I resented having to do outside out in the snow behind the bushes, something that mortified me in every way) and on my way back in, I noticed something interesting. For some reason the chicken coop intrigued me, and I found myself slowly inching closer to it. I felt my tail twitch, and ears swivel as I listened to the clucking. Molly was bundled up in her thick cloak, and she opened the coop to put out new pans of water and throw some feed down for them. I noticed she had not latched the little gate, and it was simply resting in a closed position behind her. A fat hen was clucking in the little yard despite the chill, and without really thinking what I was doing I swept through the gate, leaving it open behind me, Molly still turned toward the coop. I leaped at the chicken, and missed, and became suddenly aware of the fact that I found this absolutely hilarious. I didn't intend to catch it, but it was wicked fun to chase the noisy chicken around the yard.

"ASH!" shouted Molly. I froze in my tracks, remembering myself. My ears went down and I watched as she shut the gate where the terrified hen had fled into the coop. She stalked over to me, and only at that moment did I truly understand why each one of the Weasley children was horror-struck upon the threat of letters being sent home, because Molly was bloody terrifying. And that was something considering I had faced the Dark Lord numerous times.

"Leave my hens alone!" she said, lunging at me, lifting me by the scruff of the neck, and holding me up to her level. I was surprised at the gesture and yelped. "That hen had better be laying tomorrow, because if you disrupted her laying I will be extremely unhappy." She glared at me for a second more, and then set me on the ground, and with her marching behind me I slunk into the house. I was mortified she'd caught me doing something as childish as chasing chickens, even if it had been wicked fun indeed. I lay down on the blanket, wheezing from exertion and the general terror that had gripped my heart. Molly looked as though she didn't care in the least that I was hacking fit to die on the blanket. Ginny came to console me, and I found I was liking her more and more.

"Well, I thought it was hilarious," she assured me as she scratched behind my ears. "I wish Harry could have seen it. He could use a laugh. Well, both of them could use a laugh." She sighed, then after a moment added, "Mum couldn't get Harry to get out of bed this morning. He's just lying there. And I don't think Draco can stand to sit still. See? He's pacing by the window again. I think that sort of stuff comes and goes with them." She nodded toward the sitting room where Draco was walking back and forth in front of the window, glancing out it occasionally and hanging his head after seeing nobody. "Ron's at a loss. Do you think I should go talk to Harry?"

I tried to say yes, but it came out as a sort of yip. I was pretty sure Ginny was the girl Harry had his eye on, and I had to say I quite approved of her. Perhaps knowing someone cared would help him perk up for the time being while I tried to fix my furry problem.

"You're right, maybe I should." She looked up the stairs. "See you later Ash. I'll let you know how it goes. Maybe I can cheer him up a little ... I'll tell him how you chased the chickens!"

I sighed slightly and rested my head on my paws.

Chapter End Notes:
I giggled like a ninny while writing about Severus chasing chickens. Anyway, hoped you all liked the chapter. Cheers!