Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Printer The print whole story view may not work for longer stories.
[Reviews - 24] starstarstarstarhalf-star
Summary: "I am so glad that you are willing to take him, Professor Snape. It would be a shame if Harry was to be deported without the chance to make amends because he is not meeting the requirements of his visa."

Takes Place: 4th summer Chapters: 2
Snape flavour: None Completed: No
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Master Snape > Apprentice Harry Genres: Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Resorting, Slytherin!Harry Word count: 9896
Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, Original Character, Ron Read: 7482
Rated: 16+
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect
Series: None
Challenges: None
Published: 29 Jan 2012 - Updated: 03 Jun 2012
Awards:
Story Notes:

Betas: tigerbear1217 and skgnurse

A/N: I started to write this when I was watching clips from Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and thinking that Harry really is a brat. (Yes, before some of you turn away, I do know Severus is a jerk [putting it mildly] too. So please don't take offense.) I also realized how house, particularly Gryffindor, seemed to believe that if a teacher was punishing, particularly a teacher with a different house affiliation or view point, a lot of they were considered unfair or dark. I was amazed and annoyed by the mixture of teenage egocentrism, war hardened beliefs, and bias that combined to create this phenomenon. Then it seemed peculiar that any punishment that Harry is given never seems to have an effect on him other than to make him angry or fuel his bias. I wondered if it was because most of the adults let him slide by or indulged him.

So I got to thinking…. What if Harry's class wasn't at Hogwarts, Dumbledore didn't have control over the situation, and what if Snape was there? How differently would school be?

Story background: Harry and the rest of his year are all at a private, college-prep magic school in the United States and Snape is present as a chaperon. I will include why there aren't any other Hogwarts teachers at a later date. Students at this school, like many private schools, must meet a certain grade point average in order to play sports and to be able to stay within school. One is first put on probation (no sports, no work permit. Also they have to do tutoring and extra lessons to catch up. Volunteering and work study are also used to help certain cases learn the value of work) and if the grades continue to be unsatisfactory the person is expelled from school with the possibility of having there wand snapped depending on the agreement they signed at the start of school or the exchange program.

Enough blabbering on my part though. On with the story!

As always:

"Spoken word"

'Thoughts'

Table of Contents

1. Chapter 1 by Nightshade sydneylover150 [Reviews - 15] starstarstarstar (4112 words) Printer

Before you read any further... I just wanted to clarify somethings brought up by a fellow reader. In this story the characters refer to the British Commonwealth and apparently it is implied that Britain still has power over these countries. I wanted to assure you that I know that this is not the case and am not intending to offend any country who fought for the independence and is a member of the Commonwealth. In the story, (being AU) magical Britain and the countries in the Commonwealth have similar laws and values due to them being in closer contact for the past two centuries than the US and Britain have been. I do not claim to know if this is true in our world nor do I intend to imply that this is the case or that Britain has power over the countries in the Commonwealth.

Now on with the story

2. Chapter 2 by Nightshade sydneylover150 [Reviews - 9] starstarstarstarhalf-star (5784 words) Printer

Rating: M for someone's mouth

Disclaimer: I don't own anything but the ideas you don't recognize. JK Rowlings owns Harry Potter and Co. Any other ideas that you recognize belong to their creators.

To be continued...
Nightshade sydneylover150 is the author of 7 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 17 members. Members who liked Differences Abroad also liked 979 other stories.

Disclaimer Charm: Harry Potter and all related works including movie stills belong to J.K. Rowling, Scholastic, Warner Bros, and Bloomsbury. Used without permission. No copyright infringement is intended. No money is being made off of this site. All fanfiction and fanart are the property of the individual writers and artists represented on this site and do not represent the views and opinions of the Webmistress.

Powered by eFiction 3.5