Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 22
* ~ ~ ~ Chapter 22 ~ ~ ~ *

"Wormtail," a cold voice said. "What have you found out in Hogwarts?"

"I-I have found out a few things about S-Sebastien Frostpine, m-my L-Lord," the man on the floor stuttered pathetically. "I have heard the youngest male Weasley and the Mudblood Granger in the library, trying to find out more about Frostpine. It was discovered that Frostpine was the possible last name of the last heir of Slytherin."

"Oh really?" Voldemort asked in an amused voice. "Interesting, it would certainly explain why a child could be so strong. If he /is/ the heir of Slytherin, then surely he will be willing to join me once he finds out who I truly am. Wormtail, you are dismissed."

Next, another cloaked figure knelt on the floor. "How may I be of service to you, My Lord?"

"Ah, my dear Severus," the Dark Lord said. "I want to know more about Sebastien Frostpine. He is you're student, yes?"

"Yes, my lord," the voice confirmed. "He is a transfer student from another school."

"Is it true that he is your apprentice, Severus?"

"Yes, my Lord. He shows exceptional skills in Potions."

"I have heard from several sources that the boy may be the heir of Slytherin, Severus. You are to befriend him and try to recruit him. It he is truly the heir of Slytherin, then he must agree with me in my opinions of ridding this world of Mudbloods and Half-bloods. I want him on my side. He is powerful, and he will be useful."

"Yes, my Lord."

"Do you have any news on Dumbledore's Order of the Phoenix?"

"My apologies, my Lord, but the Muggle-loving fool is being extremely secretive. He is not giving me any information."

"You have disappointed me, Severus. I have given you several months already with no results." Voldemort said. "This calls for punishment."

The man on the floor tensed, waiting.

"Effundere!"

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Harry woke up, mouth open in a silent scream, the pain of the bleeding spell still in his limbs. Although he was not bleeding, his body still hurt like hell. He thought about the dream and inwardly groaned. Great. Hermione and Ron had obviously been doing research on him, and Pettigrew had somehow found out in his Animagus form. Just great.

He got up wearily. If the Potions Master was hit by the Bleeding Spell, then he would be in serious need of medical attention. He was too tired to walk all the way till he outside the wards, so closing his eyes, he Apparated. Although there were Anti-Apparation wards, Rowena had taught him how to avoid them.

He cast a wandless invisibility charm as he found himself by the Apparation point. He shape-shifted back into Harry Potter. It wouldn't do for Severus to find him outside in the middle of the night.

Several minutes later, there was a quiet 'pop', and a bedraggled Potions Master appeared. Harry saw that his many wounds were bleeding profusedly. Removing his invisibility charm, he stepped forward.

"Potter?" the man asked. When Harry didn't reply, he heard Severus mutter, "Great, I'm going insane."

Harry laughed wryly. "Afraid not, Sev--- Professor Snape. You're as sane as I am.

"Great, that's reassuring," the Potions Master muttered sarcastically. "Why do you have to come at the wrong times? And Poppy and Albus both thinks I'm crazy since I keep insisting I've seen you."

Harry had to smirk. However, the smile disappeared off his face when the man stumbled slightly, tripping forward. He rushed over and immediately grabbed Severus before the Potions Master touched the ground. "Here, wait," he ordered. He quickly muttered several complex healing charms, using wandless magic. He knew that it would be more effective if he used physical contact, but Sebastien Frostpine had already done that, and he didn't want to give himself away.

Levitating the man, he headed up to the castle. "Lemon Drops," he muttered to the gargoyle. It hopped sideways as Harry walked in, Severus in toll. He found Dumbledore in the office alone.

"Professor," he said curtly. "I found Professor Snape outside."

Dumbledore stared at him for a second before nodding. Harry quickly cast another invisibility charm over himself as he left the room, shape-shifting back into Sebastien Frostpine. Now that Severus was in good hands, he could get some sleep. The rest of the students were coming back from the Xmas holiday next day. *Well, technically, today, since its past midnight,* he thought to himself. And the Christmas Dance would be taking place later in the evening. He smiled slightly. He had asked Eliza to go with him as a friend and the girl had readily agreed. Ron was going with Hermione, Draco with Blaise, and Ginny with Neville.

Returning silently to the Common Room, he slid into his dorm, quickly falling into dreamless sleep. He didn't notice a pair of grey-blue eyes watching him from the folds of the curtains of the next bed.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~That Evening....~*

*ELIZA'S POV*

At promptly six o'clock, I followed Hermione and Ginny to the Gryffindor girls' dorms. Today was the night of the Xmas Dance, and we had agreed earlier on to get ready together. I smiled inwardly. This was going to be fun.

As I walked into the Common Room, I could feel stares following me everywhere. Well, I mean, it wasn't every day that Slytherins went into the Gryffindor rooms.

Hermione was discussing a book with me, although Ginny was decidedly quiet. She still isn't comfortable with me, I guess. The only reason Hermione knows me is through Sebastien, or should I say, Harry.

Walking into the privacy of the girls' dorms, we settled into Hermione's dorm, where she locked the door.

Hermione pulled open her package, a pair of pale blue dress robes. "What colour robes do you have, Gin?" She asked.

"Emerald," the redhead said. "I finally got better robes with the money I saved up."

"Mine's lavender," I said. I inwardly smiled; Harry and I had agreed to dress up in our 'Founder-style' robes. I sighed as I remembered fondly the time when Rowena discovered that Harry and I didn't know how to dance. She had managed to teach us a lot in the single week we stayed there. "How well do you guys dance?"

"I hate dancing," Hermione said. "I'm no good."

"I'm alright," Ginny said softly.

By then, Hermione and Ginny had pulled on their robes and were turning to their hair. I quickly slipped on my robes, the curved but fashionable high collar against my neck. Turning to the mirror, I quickly pulled my hair into a simple bun.

"How do you do that?" Hermione asked. "I can't get mine right!"

"Here, I'll help." I quickly did up the bushy haired girl's hair, casting a quick smoothing charm. "There." I turned to Ginny. "How do you want your hair?"

"I think I'll just leave it down," the girl said shyly.

"Here," I said, waving my wand and muttering under my breath.

"What did you do?" Ginny asked curiously.

"It's a charm that makes your hair stay tidy," I explained as I pulled on a pair of high-heeled boots. They were a bit uncomfortable, but managable.

"Wow," Hermione said, looking at my boots. "I've never seen this style before."

I smiled as I turned to the mirror, re-fastening the necklace Harry had given me for Christmas around my neck.

"You have one too?" Hermione asked, spotting my stone.

"Sebastien gave one to each of his friends," I explained. "Come on, its time to go." I dragged the others down to the Common Room, marching over to the Fat Lady. The boys would get here any minute.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*HARRY'S POV*

I waited outside the Gryffindor Common Room. Draco was currently outside the Slytherin Common Room, waiting for Blaise. I smiled as I waited. Eliza should be here any minute now.

The next thing I knew, the portrait swung open and Hermione came out, led by Ron. I smiled at them both. Ginny and Neville came out next. Then, Eliza came out. I smiled as I saw her outfit: high-heeled boots and high-collared robes with dancing butterflies around the hem. A hint of make-up decorated her face.

"Come on," I said, dragging her off towards the Great Hall.

As I stepped into the huge Hall, I gasped slightly. It looked beautiful with red and green decorations, an enormous Christmas tree in the corner.

"Welcome," Dumbledore began when everyone settled down. "to the Christmas Dance. All I have to say is this: Have fun and enjoy!"

People clapped as the Headmaster sat down, many couples going up to dance. "Come on," Eliza said. "Let's go."

I followed her. Joining hands, I began to dance, remembering the steps Rowena had taught us. One two left, one two right... three four up... I smiled as I danced, glancing around. I've never thought of dancing as fun before, but now I realize just how enjoyable it is. Reminding myself to thank Rowena the next time I saw her, I allowed myself to be pulled into the music. I soon forgot about the others around me.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*HERMIONE'S POV*

Many hours later, Dumbledore stood up. "It is almost the end of our Valentine Ball," he announced, his eyes twinkling. "I would like to bring it to an end with a competition: the best dancers. All participants, please step up."

She and Ron didn't participate; Hermione was content just to watch. Ginny and Neville, however, did.

She watched in amusement as pair after pair went. Lavender and Seamus, Parvati and Dean, Parkinson and Goyle, Blaise and Draco... To her surprise, Draco and Zabini were rather decent dancers. The line of contestants slowly got shorter and shorter. At last, Hermione watched as Sebastien and Eliza stepped up. There was something about the way the pair moved, so comfortable, so... familiar. As she watched, the pair joined hands.

They both seemed to transform before Hermione's eyes. The moment their hands touched, it was as though a new feeling entered the room. The Great Hall became a ballroom and the two professional dancers were demonstrating their skill. With her right hand still holding his left, Eliza twirled once underneath the arch made by Sebastien's arm and stopped when she put her left hand on the other's shoulder. Their moves were perfectly sycronized and flawless, smooth and elegant.

They danced as longtime friends might- two people so comfortable with each other that they sometimes forgot where one person stopped and the other began. They danced in perfect harmony, as though they practiced together all their lives. They were exactly the opposite, yet so similar at the same time. They were one, yin and yang, Day and Night, Light and Dark, coming together to form a whole. Hermione saw this closeness as both spoke softly to each other, but never pausing in their movements. She saw it in their intricate footwork and in that footwork she saw their story.

The dance drew on and on. Finally, Eliza twirled faster and faster until she was but a blur, her interesting dress robes flying around her. She leaped into the air and Hermione gasped as a ring of fire formed around her. As she came down, Sebastien caught her easily, holding her up in the air. He didn't seem to be affected by the fire. Instead, a circle of ice surrounded him, reflecting off his silver robes.

There was a moment of silence as the dance ended. Then, the Great hall exploded into clapping with Hermione leading. Sebastien and Eliza were truly spectacular at dancing.

"The winner of this contest," Dumbledore said, "is Sebastien Frostpine and Eliza Rosethorn! This brings an end to our dance! Good night, everyone!"

The crowd burst into another round of clapping as this was announced. To her surprise, she saw that even Professor Snape was clapping. She smiled as she watched the two Slytherins leave the room. She was happy, but tired. Quickly returning to her own dorm, she pulled off her dress robes and crawling into bed, fell into untroubled sleep.

*~~~End of Chapter 22~~~*

****************************************

Effundere- 'bleed' in Latin

****************************************

*~Firestar~*: PLEASE REVIEW! I hoped you enjoyed that.