Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:

Thank you to all reviewers and readers: I was thrilled by all the reviews and comments I recieved.

This chapter may seem a bit unrealistic, but the idea just popped up out of nowhere, so please forgive me. I hope you enjoy.

Chapter 4

When Harry opened his eyes, he found himself in a bed in a small, white room.

Looking up, he saw a man with long, maroon robes with golden hems. The man was preparing some kind of Potion; he was expertantly cutting up what Harry realized was willowbark.

"Hello?" He called out uncertainly.

The man turned around when when he saw that Harry was awake, a smile graced his lips. "Salazar! Rowena! Helga!" He called. "He's awake!"

A second later, three others burst into the room. First came a man with dark black hair; he was wearing green robes which flashed in the light. Next ran in a woman with hazel eyes. Her hair was a rich shade of dark red and her robes sapphire blue. Finally, a tall woman entered, her lush, green eyes flashing; straight, honey-coloured hair flying behind her. Her robes were pale yellow.

"Thank goodness you're awake!" The woman with the blue robes said with a smile. Walking over, she put a hand on one of his scars. A blue light radiated from her hand and the scar disappeared. She continued doing this until his body was scar-free.

After getting dressed and downing many potions, Harry finally asked timidly, "Um... could you tell me where I am and who you are?"

The man with maroon robes laughed. "Oh, yes, the introductions must be made," he laughed. "I am Godric Gryffindor, and that," he pointed at the man with green robes. "Is Salazar Slytherin. If you've heard any evil rumors about him, rest assured, they are not true. The lady with red hair is Rowena Ravenclaw, and finally, that is Helga Hufflepuff."

"You are in an alternate dimension," Salazar interrupted here. "Young one, you're destiny is to help the Light overcome the Dark which threatens to overtake the world. You are the only one with the strength and ability to do so. Which is why you are here today to learn."

"But," Harry began, confused. "Um... not to be rude or anything, but, why me? I'm not special.. I meant, I'm just the Boy-Who-Lived. Why was I brought here to learn? Aren't I supposed to go to Hogwarts?"

"You were sorted into Gryffindor, yet the Sorting Hat wished you to be put in Slytherin, is it not?" Rowena cut in as Harry nodded. "Have you not wondered why? It is because you, my child, are the heirs of both Gryffindor and Slytherin."

"What?" Harry gasped, shocked beyond belief. *I must be dreaming,* he thought, dazed. "How can that be?"

"Our heirs have each decided to pick another name in order to avoid attention. Godric's heir chose Potter, while Salazar's heir chose Frostpine. Henry Frostpine's only daughter, Maria Frostpine, married Nobilius Potter's only son, Harold Potter. They were your great-great-great grandparents. Therefore, you are the only heir of both Salazar and Godric."

"You have been brought here," Helga said. "In order to be trained for to reasons: one, because you are the heir of Gryffindor and Slytherin, and two, you must defeat Voldemort."

"Voldemort is no heir of Slytherin," Salazar said with distaste, a sneer on his face. He grew serious again as he turned to Harry. "Child, despite all the tales you may have heard, I assure you that I am not evil, like everyone says. You are to be trained in every aspect imaginable, which will take at least three years. When three years is gone, you will return to your dimension. But don't worry, only three days will have passed in your time. Then, you shall be trained to fight and help the Light."

"I-" Harry was at a loss for words. "But what does Helga and Rowena have to do with anything?"

"Young one," Rowena said. "Though you are the heir of Godric and Salazar, and despite the fact that you have been sorted into Gryffindor, you still have out traits in you. You have the traits of all four houses: You are brave and courages, yet you are sly and cunning. You use your wits and are top of most of your classes. And most of all, you stay loyal to the Light side. And intellegence and loyalty are traits of Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff."

"I see," Harry said, dazed. "I--"

"No need," Salazar said. "I know you must be in shock at the moment, but I can't help it. If you want to return to your dimension in three years, you will have to start training as soon as possible. I will train you in Potions, the several different Languages, and the Dark Arts." When he saw Harry flinch, he added, "You must know about the Dark Arts in order to succeed, child. Godric will train you in Defense, Healing, Quidditch, and Transfiguration. Rowena takes over Charms, Animagus Transformation, Apparation and Ancient Runes. Helga will teach you Care of Magical Creatures, Herbiology, Divination, Arithmacy. You will also get trained in your speed, swiftness, ability, and etc. We start lessons tomorrow. Now, get a good night's sleep and we will start tomorrow."

"All right," Harry replied, still dazed. He closed his eyes and the last thing he said was, "Good night, everyone."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"What happened, Severus?"

Severus Snape sat in his chair, telling Dumbledore about what had happened to Sebastien. "... and when I looked up, he was gone."

Dumbledore looked old and tired and the twinkle had disappeared from his eyes. "And I have very bad news, Severus. Harry Potter is dead."

"What?" Severus jumped up. True, he didn't like Potter, but that didn't mean he wanted the boy dead. "How did it happen?"

"Death Eaters set the house on fire and sealed the doors and windows. Everything inside have turned to ash."

The Potions Master sat down, stunned. "Does the rest of the Wizarding World know yet?"

"Harry's friends know already, and the article will be appearing in the Daily Prophet in exactly 4 hours. And now," Dumbledore continued, "Sebastien has mysteriously disappeared. We can't just go and search for him; he could be in North America, for all we know. We will just have to wait." The Headmaster stood up and put a hand on the younger man's shoulder. "I must leave now, Severus. Take care. I'll see you soon." With that, he was gone, leaving the Potions Master to brood over what had happened.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Child," Salazar said. "Three years have swiftly past since you have first appeared in this dimension. Today, you shall leave and go back to your world."

Harry Potter stood infront of Salazar, Godric, Rowena, and Helga, looking at his mentors who had helped him through everything for the last few years. His eyes stung as he tried to supress the tears of sorrow. "I know, Salazar," he said sadly, his voice full of sorrow. "I'll miss all of you. What would I have done without you?"

"Before you go, little one," Godric said. "We have a gift for you." He took out a large box and handed it to Harry.

Harry took the box and carefully opened it. Placed inside was a glittering sword, beautiful, yet deadly. Carved on it were the initials of Godric, Salazar, Rowena, and Helga. Set on the handle was a large jewel, divided into four quarters. One quarter was crimson red, another, lush green. The final two were sapphire blue and shining yellow. The colours fit together beautifully, the pieces coming together to form a whole.

"Thank you," he whispered, his eyes filling with tears.

"Only together, united, will we be able to defeat the Dark," Godric said. "And now, we each have a piece of advice for you. My advice is, little one, to open up and accept the help of those whom loves you. Not everyone is what they seem."

"My advice," Salazar said. "Is to never show your true emotions. Be happy or sad, yes, but never show them on your face, for the enemy will use those weakness to harm you."

"Oh, stop being such a git, Salazar," Godric laughed. "Must you be so... sly?"

"Oh, just shut up," Salazar grumbled.

Harry laughed. Wise as the four founders were, they still behaved like children at times.

"Stop it, you guys," Rowena scolded as she turned to Harry. "My advice is this: Remember, use your intellegence and wisdom, and whatever happens, you are not alone. We will always be here for you."

"And finally, Harry," Helga added. "Be loyal to the Light, and have faith in yourself. Believe, and you shall succeed."

"Thank you so much," Harry whispered. A smile graced his lips. "The last three years have been the happiest of my life."

"Our pleasure, dear,' Rowena said.

"It is time to go," Salazar said seriously. "Are you ready?"

"As ready as I'll ever be," Harry said, squeezing his eyes shut.

There was a whirl of light, and the Boy-Who-Lived was gone.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Harry opened his eyes and found himself in the Library, exactly where he had disappeared three years ago. *Only in this world, it's only been three days,* he reminded himself.

Going to his room, he hid the sword in his trunk. Then, he headed into the living room in search of Severus.

The Potions Master was found on the couch, intently reading a book.

"Professor Snape?" Harry asked.

The teacher looked up and Harry saw many emotions flash in those obsidian eyes. Surprise, relief, joy, and finally, anger.

"Where have you been?" Snape asked, towering over him. "Do you realize how worried Professor Dumbledore and I have been?"

"Yes, sir," Harry replied, but he was no longer afraid. All those years ago, if this had happened, he would have been cowering on the ground, but not after what had happened. Not after what Salazar and the others had taught him. "I'm sorry, sir, but I can't tell you."

"Sebastien," Snape said, his tone dangerous. "I will be forced to cast spells on you if you do not reply willingly."

"Then do so," Harry replied calmly. *After all, I'll probably be able to fight what he tries to do." Helga's voice suddenly echoed in his mind. *Have faith in yourself. Believe, and you shall succeed.*

Snape looked unnerved for a second before he pulled out his wand and pointing it at Harry, said, "Legilimens!"

Harry quickly cleared his mind before mumbling, "Protegro!"

The Shield Charm absorbed Snape's spell. The Potions Master looked stunned, and if the situation hadn't so serious, Harry would have found it amusing.

"How did you do that?" Snape finally asked. "There's no way you can /block/ that spell!"

Harry didn't answer.

"So you still won't tell me?" The Potions Master finally growled.

"I'm sorry, sir," Harry replied. "But I can't."

"Fine," Snape grumbled. "By the way, Professor Dumbledore has asked me to tudor you in all of your subjects before school starts in order for you to catch up."

"Um... I don't think that's necessary, sir," Harry replied. He knew that all the training with Godric and the others would allow him to achieve excellent marks.

"Dumbledore insists, so you will do as he says." Snape looked possibly fuming. Harry inwardly smiled as he replied.

"As you say, sir."

"We will begin as soon as possible," Snape said. "Tell me, what are you favourite subjects?"

"Defense Against the Dark Arts and Potions, sir," Harry replied, smiling fondly as he remembered the long hours he had spent with Godric and Salazar, studying.

"We will start with Defense right now, since Dumbledore whats you trained as soon as possible," Snape said. "Go get your wand."

Harry ran upstairs to his trunk and unwrapped a handkerchief. Wrapped inside, were two wands. One was the one he had bought when he was a first year; the other, was a long, black wand, given to him by Godric and Salazar. Taking the black wand, he closed his trunk and ran back downstairs.

"I assume you know all the basic spells, so I will not waste any time teaching those to you. We will start with dueling." With a flick of his wand, Snape cleared away all the furniture in the room, leaving a wide space. "Do you know the basics?"

"Yes, sir," Harry replied. "The duelers shake hands and bow as they slowly back away till they are across from each other. Since dueling is usually done on a platform of some kind, if a person falls down and doesn't stand up in the next five seconds, or loses their wand, then the other wins."

"Correct," Snape barked. "Today, I just want to see how much dueling you know. Throw any kind of spell or curses on me, as long as its not against the law. I will, of course, fight back, so you will also have to work on blocking or dodging the spells I throw at you. I will be using more advanced curses, so you may not know all of them. Understand?"

Harry nodded.

"Let's begin."

After bowing and shaking hands, Harry backed away onto the end of the platform. Snape immeditely began throwing curses that Harry didn't know of. But it was strange, as if he could sense the curses Snape was going to throw. He easily dodged, blocked, or deflected the curses. He could see that Snape was surprised. After a while, the professor started calling out the curses more and more quickly until the flying spells were but a blur. Still, they didn't effect Harry's skills.

"Petrificus Totalus!" Snape yelled, firing the curse at Harry's side.

Harry pointed his wand at Snape's right side and opened his mouth. Snape, noticing, jumped to the right, which was exactly what Harry hoped he would do. Changing the direction of his wand at the last minute, he said, "Expelliarmus!"

Snape's wand flew threw the air and Harry easily caught it.

"Here's your wand, Professor," Harry said, blushing, feeling unnerved by the way Snape was looking at him.

"I must say, that was amazing, Sebastien," Snape said, and Harry felt shocked. Did /Severus Snape/ just compliment /Harry Potter/? Compliments from the Potions Master was rare, and Harry flushed as he replied quietly.

"Thank you, sir."

"I will see you again for lessons tomorrow. You may leave."

Harry quickly left the room, leaving a stunned Snape behind him.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"I must say, that sounded stunning indeed," Dumbledore said as he looked at his friend.

"It is," Severus agreed. He was telling the Headmaster about Sebastien "He managed to ward off my invasion of him mind, and beat me in a duel."

"He has a powerful aura for one so young," Dumbledore agreed. "It would be highly beneficial if he fights for the Light."

"Yes, but who knows? He may be a spy for the Dark Lord."

"No, that is not so. Although his aura is strong, it is pure and clean; the child is obviously innocent, for I can detect no hint of Dark Magic." After a few moments of silence, Dumbledore asked, "Severus, may I question him about a few things?"

"Of course, Albus, that is, if he is willing to answer." Raising his voice, Severus called for the boy.

A minute later, Sebastien entered the room. Albus immediately sensed something different about the aura; there was something.... stronger, more confident than before.

"Sebastien," Dumbledore began. "I heard from Severus that you managed to beat him in dueling yesterday?"

The boy blushed and immediately replied, "Headmaster, I'm sure Professor Snape was going easy on me.... There's no way I can beat him, he's professor after all..."

Severus was surprised at the amount of modesty the child showed; according to his own experience, children this age were usually annoying brats, refusing to believe that they were wrong. Especially that Potter brat. His lips curled at the thought.

"True, I think that Severus was going easy on you, which is why today, you are going to duel again. And this time, Severus, do everything you can; every trick you've ever learned. I believe Sebastien has quite a lot of potential." His eyes twinkled merrily.

"But---" Severus stuttered. "Most of the tricks in dueling includes the Unforgivables... Of course, not the Killing Curse," he added hastily.

"Do not use the Unforgivables--" Dumbledore began, but he was abruptly cut off.

"Headmaster," Sebastien interrupted. "If it is possible, I would like Professor Snape to include Unforgivables in his dueling."

"Sebastien, be reasonable..." Dumbledore began once he recovered from his shock, but the boy would have none of it.

"Professor," Sebastien insisted. "I believe that I can handle this; I've been put under Unforgivables before. It's not that much of a big deal."

Severus raised an eyebrow at this. "Headmaster, that's impossible! Using Unforgivables are highly---"

"Please, Professor," the boy said, a pleading tone in his voice.

"Very well," Dumbledore agreed finally. "But because of this, I insist that you duel now. I will watch you, in case anything drastic happens. And if anything, ANYTHING goes beyond control, then Unforgivables will be taken away from your dueling lessons."

Sebastien gave a faint smile. "Thank you, sir."

They spread out in the room and prepared to duel.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I stood before Sebastien, wand clutched tightly in my hand. I looked into the boy's eyes; determination flashed in those icy blue orbs.

After bowing and shaking hands, I backed away until we were on opposite sides of the room. I immediately began the duel with various advanced curses.

Sebastien easily dodged the curses I shot at him. A few minutes into the duel, I decided to start with the Unforgivables. Raising my wand, I yelled, "Imperio!"

*Lower your wand,* I ordered firmly through my mind. *Lower your wand.*

I was shocked at the immense determination and rebellion flowing in the boy's mind. "NO!" I heard him shout out. "I will NOT do such a thing!"

It took oen thing to disobey and rebel the Imperius Curse: will. The boy's determination was amazing; I've never felt such rebellion from someone so young. I guess Albus was right; this boy IS special.

"Stupefy!" I called, pointing my wand to Sebastien's right side. The boy saw me and dived towards the left. Exactly what I wanted. I immediately changed the direction of my wand and screamed out, "CRUCIO!" And immediately regretted it.

I flinched as the curse shot towards the boy. What was I thinking, using such a painful curse? Hadn't I tortured enough people already? The child would surely wither and start screaming any minute now... I watched, almost paralized, as the curse moved closer and closer to the boy...

The curse hit and the boy winced for a second before stepping back and turning to me, his wand raised. I was stunned, no forget it, that's an underestimation: I was BEYOND stunned. I had just shot the Cruciatus Curse, one of the most painful curses of this century at a sixteen year old boy, and it barely seemed to affect him! Not to mention the fact that I'm STILL holding the curse. And now, Sebastien's turning towards me as if he doesn't have a care in the world!

I just manage to dodge as the boy throws a Body-Bind at me. Then, my heart almost stops as I heard him say quietly, "Imperio."

I watched, frozen, as the curse hit my shoulder. I feel my control slipping from me as the boy commands me to lower my wand. Slowly, I do as he tells me.

"Bravo!" Dumbledore claps as Sebastien finally ends the Imperius Curse.

"I'm sorry, Professor," Sebastien apologizes to me. For what reason, I can't fanthom.

I don't react; I'm still in shock. Sebastien, a child, a mere boy, had managed to cast the Imperius Curse on me, a former Death Eater. Not even Lucius Malfoy can do that, and he's considered to be one of the most powerful Death Eaters!

I finally recover and I look at the boy with new-found respect. "Indeed, well done," I said as the boy blushes from my praise.

"Um... it was nothing, sir," Sebastien mumbled, his face red in embarassment. I never knew a child could be so modest; judging by my experience from those Hogwarts kids, all children were ignorant idiots who refused to believe they were wrong. Especially that Potter brat. My lips curled at the thought.

"You have been subjected to the Unforgivables before?"

I felt irritation at the question; Didn't Albus realize that the boy didn't want to talk about this?

"Yes. Imperius and Cruciatus." Sebastien didn't even flinch at the mention of those feared curses. What was the boy made of?

I felt a burning anger; who would want to do such a thing to /a child/? And Sebastien, no less? Much as I hate to admit it, this boy did not cause trouble like /some/ people. Again, my mind traveled to Potter. Speaking of the brat...

"Headmaster, what has happened with Potter?" Was it my imagination, or did Sebastien suddenly stiffen? I shrugged off my feelings and looked expectantly at the headmaster.

"His funeral is tomorrow, and it will take place in Hogwarts, the Great Hall. I trust you will be coming?"

I nodded curtly. Much as I disliked the Potter boy, it didn't mean that I wanted him dead. Especially not killed by Death Eaters. "How are the Wizarding World reacting?"

"Everyone is in panic," Albus replied gravely, the twinkle gone from his eyes. "Everyone is scared now that the Boy-Who-Lived is gone."

I nodded in understanding. I knew what the Headmaster was talking about; Weak as Potter had been, he had been a sign of hope, he acted like a hero; he was someone who had managed to defy the Dark Lord. Now that the proof and hope was gone, everyone was frantic.

"I must go now," Dumbledore checked his watch. "I'll see you tomorrow then, Severus, Sebastien." With a swirl of his robes, he left.

Sebastien left the room as I began to do some paperwork.

Chapter End Notes:
ONE QUESTION: What do you call the language of the Phoenix, and what do you call someone who can speak that language? For example, the language of the snakes is called Parseltongue, and anyone who can speak that language is considered a Parselmouth.