Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 9

The last few days of the holiday flew by. Soon, it was September 1st. Harry had packed his trunk and belongings, waiting for Severus to get ready.

"Alright," the Potions Master said finally. "Let's go."

"What about you?"

"I'll be going straight to Hogwarts after you leave. Oh, and if anyone asks, you are a boarding student from North America."

"How am I going?" Harry asked curiously. "Floo powder or portkey?"

"Portkey." The professor held out a small key. "Ready?"

"Ready." Reaching out, he touched the key. He felt a tug around his navel as he closed his eyes.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

When he opened his eyes, Harry found himself on Platform 9 3/4. It was crowded with students.

He quickly dragged his trunk over and boarded the train. Most of the compartments were full already. After running around for five minutes, he finally found an empty compartment with only one girl in it.

After sitting down, he looked curiously at the girl. She was rather tall and had rich, dark-red hair which tumbled down her back. Her eyes were misty grey, reminding him of Lady Lyra. Her aura, surprisingly, was bright red. Oh yes, this girl was powerful.

"Hello, I'm Sebastien Frostpine," he introduced himself. "I'm new at Hogwarts this year."

The girl looked at him. He felt slightly awkward and was about to turn away when the girl smiled.

"Eliza Serenity Rosethorn," she replied, holding out her hand, which Harry took. "I'm new too. Boarding student from United States."

The rest of the way to Hogwarts, they got aquianted with each other. Harry took an immediate liking to Eliza: she was intellegent, mature, humourous, and had a sharp sense of sarcasm which reminded him of Severus.

"So, tell me about yourself," he said. "Do you live with your parents? Have any siblings?"

"I'm an only child," she said. "I would like to have a few siblings. It gets lonely sometimes, you know," she added while Harry nodded in understanding. "I don't live with my parents; they were killed in a Death Eater attack when I was five. I live with my godparents. I attended a small wizarding school in the U.S."

Harry smiled wistfully, thinking of Sirius. "My parents were killed by Voldemort too," he said sadly. "I lived in an orphanage until now."

"Aren't you supposed to get your letter on your eleventh birthday though?"

"I.. um... I attended another magic school too." He stuttered slightly, hoping she didn't notice his stumbling of words.

Thankfully, the train pulled into Hogwarts at that moment. Harry got off, and with Eliza following him, wondered where he should go.

Just then, Severus-- no, Professor Snape, he reminded himself-- appeared. "Miss Rosethorn, Mr. Frostpine," he said curting. "Follow me."

By the time they walked into the Great Hall, it was already full. Professor McGonagal was just leading in the first years.

"Go join the end of the line with the first year," Severus -- oh hell, what did it matter? As long as he didn't call him that in class--- instructed. "You will be sorted."

Harry was about to follow Eliza, and was surpised wen he felt a reassuring squeeze on his shoulder. "Good luck," the Potions Master's voice whispered.

He smiled his thanks and walked over to the end of the line of first years. He could not help but panic. Although he knew no one would be able to see through his disguise, he was still nervous. He barely heard the Sorting Hat's new song.

When 'Zoara, Sarah' was sorted into Hufflepuff, Dumbledore stood up. However, unlike the other years, the Sorting Hat stayed on the stool.

"Welcome back, staff and students! I would like to welcome you back to another year at Hogwarts. Welcome to all of the new students. I have several announcements. First of all, I would like to say that Professor Lupin is back this year to teach Defense Against the Dark Arts." There was an explosion of loud applause from the Gryffindor, Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff table. "And the Forbidden Forest REMAINS forbidden, true to its name." At this, his eyes lingered on the Weasley twins, who looked back at him innocently.

"Also, we will have two transfer students fom North America this year." He smiled and motioned for Harry and Eliza to walk to the Hat. "They will be sorted now. I trust you will make them feel welcome."

"Frostpine, Sebastien!" Professor McGonagal called out. Harry walked over to the Sorting Hat, feeling slightly nervous, as if it was his first year again. Sitting down, he placed the Hat on his head.

'Ah, back again, are we, Mr. Potter?' the Hat asked thoughtfully. 'But where should I put you this time?'

'I don't really care this time,' Harry admitted. 'Now that I know Slytherin aren't bad at all...'

'This is difficult,' the Hat replied. 'Last time, you subconciously wanted to go into Gryffindor. You begged me not to put you in Slytherin. Now however, it is different. You do not care, and I... I'm afraid, I do not know.'

'Difficult indeed....' the Hat mused to itself. 'You are heir of Gryffindor and Slytherin, yet part of you have strong personalities of Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff. What shall I do with you, Mr. Potter?'

'Please hurry up,' Harry said. It had been almost ten minutes since he had placed the Hat on his head. Others were getting anxious.

'If you say so,' the Hat agreed, and opening its mouth, it began to sing.

Oh, Dear Headmaster,

I'm sorry to say,

I do not know where

This boy is to stay.

His life is of Gryffindor,

His heart made of gold,

Brave and self-sacrificing,

Couragous and bold.

His thoughts are of Slytherin,

Cunning and sly.

Not whom he seems,

I curiously wonder why?

His mind is of Ravenclaw,

Such brilliance at heart.

With books and knowledge,

Never shall he part.

His soul is of Hufflepuff,

Intellegent and wise.

Forever loyal,

A blessing in disguise.

His blood is of two,

Both Dark and Light.

With all his strength,

Forever shall he fight.

Anywhere or nowhere,

The houses must unite.

To form a whole, to truely belong

Look from the ultimate height.

So choice wisely, young one,

Where you wish to go.

The Child of Light and Dark,

Filled with joy and woe.

The One who will Live

Through bloodshed and tears,

Beware and be careful,

Overcome your anger and fears.

So make your choice,

Think of all,

Form a whole,

Or all will fall.

There was a ringing silence in the Hall when the Sorting Hat stopped singing. For a minute, no one moved.

"Well," Dumbledore finally said. "It seems, Mr. Frostpine, that the choice is up to you. Do you wish to join Gryffindor, Slytherin, Hufflepuff, or Ravenclaw?"

Harry didn't know what to say. Yes, Rowena and Helga had been important to him, but.... this was different. He was the heir of Salazar and Godric, so shouldn't he join one of those houses? Okay, so he could either join Slytherin, or Gryffindor. Now what?

As he thought about it, he realized that sooner or later, his true identity would be revealed. Well, as Harry Potter, he had experienced the life of a Gryffindor. Why not choose the opposite?

"I wish to go to Slytherin, Headmaster," he said calmly. For a second, there was no movement. Then, the Slytherin table burst with applause.

He walked over to the Slytherin table and sat down. Turning, he watched Eliza's sorting.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I watched as Sebastien walked up and placed the Hat on his head. They stayed that way for about fifteen minutes, before the Hat finally burst into his song.

When the song was over, no one moved. No one breathed. I was stunned; Sebastien had been given the choice to go anywhere he liked? Impossible! Never, over all of the history of Hogwarts, had such a thing happened.

I was even more stunned when the boy choose to go to Slytherin. Not that I had anything against that house: Rowena and Helga had showed me that Godric and Salazar were both kind and loving. If you were based along the 'Slytherins are evil' line, then Gryffindors would truly be idiot martyrs. But... I guess I expected him to choose Gryffindor or Ravenclaw.

When Sebastien joined the Slytherin table, I went and put the Hat on my head.

'Miss Rosethorn,' the Hat said. 'A pleasure to meet you. Heir of Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff, are you not?'

'Yes, I am,' I replied, slightly unnerved that the Hat could read my thoughts. 'Where am I to go?'

'You are another in whom truly belong in all of the houses,' the Hat said, surprising me. 'But I will not ask you to choose. Would you mind going to Slytherin?'

'No, I don't mind,' I said curiously. 'But why Slytherin?'

'The one in Slytherin requires your help to defeat the Dark One, child,' the Hat replied. 'You must work together. Now go.'

At this, the Hat opened its mouth and called out, "SLYTHERIN!"

I also joined the Slytherin table, settling down next to Sebastien. I wonder what the Hat meant by working with someone else. I guess I'll have to ask Rowena.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I am Draco Malfoy, son of Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy. Everyone thinks that I am the arrogant Malfoy child, spoilt and gets everything I want. I do nothing to make them think otherwise. But little do they know, how wrong they are.

My father never spoilt me at all. When I dare to speak back to him, he would either whip me, or put me under the Cruciatus Curse. The first time I was put under the curse was when I was four. God, it hurt like hell. My blood was pounding through my veins, my head felt as if it would explode. Finally, Father stopped the curse. From that day on, I was certain to treat him with utmost respect.

My mother never cared for me. She often left me alone for weeks at a time while she went on holiday in different countries.

Yes, I had rooms, full of toys, but I had no friends. Parkinson, Crabbe, Goyle... they only followed me around since they want to use me. They know that my father is ranked high in the Dark Lord's inner circle. They know that I will be useful someday. They are not friends: they think I am only a boy, a toy, to be used and thrown away.

And my parents... They pressure me into joining to Dark Lord. I know that I MUST join the Dark Lord, or Father will truly kill me. I know what I am to them.... an object, used to please Voldemort. Voldemort was just like the others... He uses his servants, then throws them away.

I don't want to be ruled over. I don't want to be forced to bow to the one I despise. Sometimes, I believe Potter is lucky; he can do whatever he wishes without punishment hanging overhead. Which is why I hate him. Hate him to hell. Because he has what I can never get.

The only joy of my life is Severus, my godfather... He is the only one who truly cares. He makes me feel special... wanted. He comforts me in his own way during my darkest hours, helps me get through when the pain becomes unbearable. But what I want, in reality, is a true friend. Someone who likes me for who I am, not what I am.

Which is why I was overjoyed when Dumbledore announced that two transfer students were coming to Hogwarts. Even more stunned when they both joined Slytherin.

During dinner, I managed to get Crabbe and Goyle to trade seats with me, leaving me next to Sebastien Frostpine, the new boy.

"Draco Malfoy," I said cooly, holding out my hand. "Welcome to Hogwarts."

He looked up at me, a slightly stunned expression on his face. Then, he took my hand. "Sebastien Frostpine," he replied.

His voice was soft, but strangely soothing. A voice with a quality I had never heard before.

I wanted to say more, but my voice was drowned out when everyone began to eat.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I have never been more surprised when Draco Malfoy held out his hand, welcoming me to Hogwarts. How ironic, that the blond Slytherin was the first person to speak to me, other than Eliza.

I took his hand, thinking that if I accepted Malfoy's friendship, no one would suspect me of being Harry Potter. After all, how could the Boy- Who-Lived be friends with the Slytherin's most arrogant git?

Malfoy's aura was light yellow. Hmm, not bad. So far, I've noticed that Dumbledore has a dark red, almost crimson aura. McGonagal's was midnight blue, Flitwick's was shade lighter. Remus' was aqua. Speaking of auras...

I looked over at the Gryffindor table. Hmm, interesting. Ron had a pale purple aura, while Hermione's was pale yellow, much like Malfoy's. This was going to be an interesting year, examining others' auras.

After dinner, we followed the rest of the Slytherins to the dorms. The password was 'Salazar'. Good, I don't think I'ld be able to stand it if it was 'pure-blood' or something like that.

I went in and settled into the boy's dorm while Eliza walked into the girls'. I had the feeling that Malfoy tried to speak with me, but I ignored him and went to bed. It had been a long day.

Chapter End Notes:
PLEASEREVIEW!!