Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry for the long chapter
Chapter 3

Snape had come to visit me two days after my arrest in Azkaban. Normally, Azkaban inmates aren't allowed visitors, but since I was going on trial, the Minister allowed it. I was taken to a room where Snape had been waiting patiently. We stayed silent until the door was slammed shut.

"Harry, how are you holding up?" He questioned quickly, grabbing my wrist.

I had only been here for two days, but the dementors were effecting me a lot. I had seen my own reflection in my glasses this morning, so I knew that I looked horrible. There were bags under my eyes, which began to look glazed and crazed.  My cheeks were beginning to sink in. I understood why Professor Snape would be worried.

"I'm alright." I lied.

"It's the dementors, isn't it?" He questioned. All I could do was nod my head in response. "I will talk to the warden before I leave. I'm sorry that this has happened to you."

"Why is this happening to me?" I inquired.

"Well, The Prophet that was released the night you were arrested tells a lot. It talks about how you are a very dark wizard. They argue how are you not a dark wizard when even Albus Dumbledore, himself being one of the most powerful wizards of all time, could not defeat Voldemort."

"I'm not a dark wizard." I argued, interrupting Snape

"I know that. Many other people don't believe that is so. The Prophet also exaggerated the event of your arrest, saying that you attempted to kill many of the Aurors." He continued.

"I wasn't....I didn't attempt...." I sputtered in anger.

"I know. I must ask, though, why did you try to fight them off?"

"I have been fighting my entire life, why should I stop now?"

"That's exactly what I wanted to hear because that is going to be type of attitude we are going to need for the trial. "

"Why can't the Minister control The Prophet? That's exactly what Fudge did before he was kicked out."

"That's exactly why he can't control the Prophet. Minister Shacklebolt would have had that power, but, once everyone knew what Fudge had been doing, he doesn't. The Prophet pulled away from the Ministry a little. Shacklebolt has no control over it anymore."

"That's rubbish."

"I understand that is rubbish, but I did bring good news. I got your trial moved up to the end of the week. I am working to get people together to prove your innocence."

"Anyone who can vouch for me is dead." I said dejectedly.

"I can vouch for you Harry, but I will do my best to find more people. Don't worry about it." Snape stared at me for a moment. "Harry, what's wrong? You look like you want to say something."

I just sat there, look at him, not really wanting to tell him.

"What is the matter, Potter?" Snape asked again, bringing on that slightly terrifying potions master demeanor.

"You can't tell anyone."

"I won't." He promised.

I took a breath before speaking.

"I think something is wrong with me." I blurted out quickly, like I would stop speaking if I were to speak slowly.

"Are you sick?" Snape questioned, a quizzical look on his face.

"No, at least I don't think so. It's hard to explain, but I'll try. I'm living two different lives."

The quizzical look on Snape's face changed to an expression I have never seen on anyone before. I waited for him to respond, but he motioned for me to go on.

"In one life, I'm with you. In the other life, I'm with everyone who died. It's like I'm switching between lives with dead people. They're dead here and you're dead there."

"How do you change between these lives?" Snape probed, suddenly curious.

"Sleep. I'll fall asleep here, wake up there and vice versa."

"Correct me if I get anything wrong. When you wake up here, I'm alive. When you wake up in the other world, I'm dead? And this all happens when you sleep?"

"It's caused by my sleep, but it's real. "

"I'm not saying that it isn't real, Harry. When did this all start happening?"

"I think it was right after the battle. I'm sure it started when you gave me the dreamless sleep potion in your private room. That's how I knew it wasn't a dream."

"Really, you went there even after ingesting dreamless sleep?"

"Yes."

"Well, that is rather interesting. How are you not getting confused by the two worlds?"

"Easy. I'm not in Azkaban in the other world. I'm staying at the Burrow with the Weasley family."

"Have you told anyone else about this?"

"You are the only one. I almost accidently tipped Ron and Hermione off the first time I switched worlds. In the other world, Dumbledore definitely knows that something is up. I went to talk to him about something that you had said the night before, still thinking I was in the same world. When Ron and Hermione told me that you had died, I acted confused and said that I had spoken to Professor McGonagall, not you. They seemed to take the story."

"How did I die in the other world?"

"You didn't survive Nagini's attack." I stated matter of factly.

Snape subconsciously rubbed at his neck, which bore permanent scars from that attack.

"That's amazing." He commented.

"What, the fact that I am insane?" I questioned.

"By far, the last thing to describe you as is insane. No, it is amazing that the human brain can handle two totally different realities. You right now have no idea whether you are awake at this moment. I will go ahead and look into this for you, Harry. I'm glad that you told me about this."

"What is it like outside these walls?"

"People are anxious. They want to get your trial started because they are afraid that you are a dark wizard. I know that you are not, though and I will prove that. The rebuilding of Hogwarts is going slow, but it has started. They hope to have it open by the beginning of next term, but that doesn't seem like it will happen. The board of governors appointed Professor McGonagall as Headmistress."

"Good for her." I stated.

"She is the first headmistress in the history of the school. As you know, Kingsley Shacklebolt is the new Minister of Magic so he will be overseeing your trial, I believe."

"What are we going to do about this?"

"YOU, are going to do nothing. All I want you to do is to keep fighting. I will arrange everything. It's a good thing that we have a friend with a lot of power in the deciding party. You don't have to worry about anything. I will talk to the warden."

Snape stood up and began walking out of the room.

"Professor." I called.

"Yes, Harry." He questioned.

"Thank you."

"You're very welcome." He replied with a nod before leaving the room.

I sat in the room for a little while, then was taken to a new cell. The door was metal, but it was see through. There were no dementors in sight. Snape had done it once again. I wasn't haunted by the faces of my friends for the first time in nights. I fell asleep peacefully.

 


I woke up at the Burrow feeling great. That feeling quickly changed as the day progressed. My mood had changed because of everyone else's mood. They were all too happy. Of course, they were happy. The Weasley's were probably the only wizarding family not to lose a loved one during the battle. It was almost as if I were the only one grieving for someone.

"Harry, are you okay?" Hermione questioned in a whisper at dinner.

"Later." I replied softly to her.

When we were finished with dinner, Hermione pulled me into her and Ginny's bedroom. Hermione was staying with the Weasley's as well because she also, technically, didn't have parents around anymore.

"Harry, what's wrong?" She asked again after making the room sound proof. "You've been very recluse. What is going on?"

"I don't know. They're just so happy and it doesn't feel right. I mean, they have a right to be happy because they didn't lose anyone during the battle. I just feel like that I'm the only one grieving here."

"What do you mean?"

"Snape's gone and I feel like I'm the only one who is effected by it."

"Harry, I think you're effected by his passing because he's helped you. He's saved your life more time that you can count. He was also really the last connection to your mother. Professor Lupin may still be alive, but he knew your dad better. No one else has that similarity with Snape as you do. That's why you are hurting, because he was the only person who could tell you about your mother."

I sat there, nodding my head, taking in what she was saying.

"But that's not what is really bothering you, is it?" She questioned.

"If I tell you, I need you to promise that you will keep it a secret."

"Harry, I would never..."

"Promise me." I repeated, cutting her off.

"I promise Harry."

"Okay. My situation is hard to explain, but here's what I have figure out so far. I'm living two different lives. It's controlled by my sleep. In this world, Snape is dead. In the other life, everyone but me in this house is dead and Snape is alive."

Hermione looked at me in pure horror.

"Harry, that's not normal in the slightest."

"You don't think I know that!" I shouted. "Why do you think I haven't told anyone?"

"Harry, I'm not saying it's wrong." She explained, calming me down before asking "What is it like in your other life?"

"I'm in Azkaban, awaiting trial to answer for the deaths that resulted from the battle." Hermione once again looked horrified. "I shouldn't have told you that. I'm sorry." I said as I made a move to leave the room.

"No, Harry." She said, grabbing me by the wrist. I took a seat next to her at her insistence. "It's fine that you told me this. How long has this been happening?"

"Since I killed Voldemort."

"Harry, I think that you should talk to Mr. Weasley. He might know more about this."

"Do you know where he is?" I inquired as I stood up

I wasn't asking because I wanted to talk to Mr. Weasley, I asked because I didn't want to be in that room with Hermione any more.

"I don't know. Mrs. Weasley might know."

"Thanks Hermione." I said before leaving the room.

I went down the stairs, thinking about what had happened. I knew that I had to talk to Mr. Weasley because Hermione would ask about our conversation. I knew that I couldn't lie to her about it, she would see right through it. I took a deep breath before walking into the kitchen.

"Mrs. Weasley." I called.

"Yes, Harry dear." She replied, turning around to face me.

"Do you know where Mr. Weasley is?"

"Arthur is in the garage, dear. Is everything alright?"

"Yes. Thank you." I replied as I walked out of the door.

The cool night air felt good against my face. I stood outside for a few moments, just glad to be alone for once. I was lost in the many stars that filled the sky. This was one of the best things about being at the Burrow. The night sky, the fresh air. For a few minutes, I was a small child lost in the wonder of the night sky.

"Harry, how are you doing?" Mr. Weasley asked as he approached me.

"I'm okay, sir. I was wondering if I could talk to you about something."

"Why don't we go in the garage, bit warmer in there than standing out here." He directed.

I followed along side Mr. Weasley, talking about Quidditch scores and work as we approached the garage. Once we had entered, he locked the garage door and turned the light on. Then, he led me to the back of the garage where we knew we couldn't be seen or heard. I took a seat across from Mr. Weasley.

"Remember last time we were here. I asked about vanishing cabinets." I commented. "Merlin, that seems like a life time ago."

"It was almost a different life, Harry. So much has changed since then that it is almost unbelievable. What is it that you wish to talk about?"

"I have this friend of mine who is having a problem. It's a strange problem, but I just want to know if I need to worry about him."

"Continue." Mr. Weasley said, nodding his head.

"He came to me and said that he had been living two different lives. He lost someone in the final battle."

"When you say that he is 'living two different lives', do you mean that he is cheating on his girlfriend or something?"

"No, he's not. It's confusing. He doesn't really understand what is going on himself. In one of his lives, he's lost this person who was similar to his protector. In the other life, his protector is alive but all of his friends are dead. He tells me that it is controlled by his sleep. Every time he falls asleep here, he wakes up in the other life. The days don't pass each other either. If it is today here, then it will be the same date in the other life."

"Are these lives the same?"

"No, he has a fairly normal life in this world. In the other, he has managed to land himself in Azkaban. That's about all that he has told me." I finished.

Mr. Weasley sat in silence, attempting to comprehend what I had just told him.

"And how long has this been going on for?" Mr. Weasley finally spoke.

"Since the end of the battle."

I saw Mr. Weasley nod his head.

"Was he fairly close to this 'protector' that died?"

"Not really. They didn't really get along, but the learned that this person had kept him safe and alive."

"How would you say that your friend is reacting to this loss?"

"I don't really understand the question, Mr. Weasley."

"Muggles have this theory. They believe that everybody goes through what they call "the stages of grief". Many wizards know about this but not many people believe that this happens. I; however, am not one of those people. The stages of grief are..."

"Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. The five stages of grief." I finished.

Well it seems that going to muggle elementary school helped a little.

"That is right. Where do you think your friend is at right now?"

"He's so confused because he still sees this person in his second life. I don't think I could tell you where he is at."

"That's alright. This isn't a normal thing, so I would expect him to be confused" Mr. Weasley said as he crossed his arms across his chest.

I did the same thing too because the temperature had been dropping steadily for the extent of the conversation.

"It sounds to me that your friend doesn't know if he is awake or asleep all of the time."

"That is the same thing that Snape told me when we met." I thought before tuning back into what Mr. Weasley was saying.

"I do agree that this is peculiar; however, I don't think that this is a serious problem. I do believe that this can turn into a serious problem quickly, though. I would suggest that you keep an eye on him, either through letter or in person."

"Do you know what may be causing it?" I questioned, slightly relieved that this, at the current time, was not problematic.

"I don't know what is causing this. My guess, is that  he is trying to comprehend this death. It may even be compensating for the death by putting him in regular contact with the deceased. If that's the case, then it could possibly be entirely normal but I do not know if that is true." Mr. Weasley explained. "He is at all confused by which life is the real life?"

"Maybe. He seems to think that both of them are real. He can interact with people, they acknowledge his existence, and he can feel pain in both worlds."

All Mr. Weasley could do was to shake his head. He was now at a loss of words.

"Is that all you wanted to talk about, Harry?"

"Yes, thank you for your help, Mr. Weasley."

"You're very welcome. Now, why don't we go back inside before we freeze." He suggested.

We left the garage and I could see my breath in the air as we walked back to the house. When we got back into the warm Burrow, I wished everyone goodnight. I was going to go to bed early because I was tired. At least, that's what I told them. Really, I was curious to see what sort of defense Snape was going to give me at the trial. It was that sense of curiosity that sent me off to sleep.

Chapter End Notes:
Up next: The trial