Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
By Hpfan at 2:15am 5/7/2013
Goodness...was in a hurry getting this chapter up b/c I have zero time to write later.

JA, Fen, Luck, if you see any errors feel free to fix it. I will come back on to go over the story again tonight.
Looking for Answers

When Snape brought his findings to Dumbledore, the headmaster looked too surprised for Snape’s liking. Albus Dumbedore was one of the most educated and knowledgeable wizard this side of the Atlantic. And there was nobody alive that knew as much about Hogwarts as Dumbledore.  If he had no knowledge about this creature, then things did not bode well for Hogwarts and its inhabitants.

“It’s called ‘the protector’, Albus. Have you ever heard of anything like it?”

Dumbledore peered down at the passage in the book and frowned. “I have never heard of such a creature. And you say that this creature has been conjured for Harry Potter.”

“That seems to be the case,” Severus replied, then scoffed. “Although, I do not see why it has chosen to be Potter’s protector. He is in no danger of abuse, unless you count being pampered to death, abuse.”

If Severus listened to his brain, it would have told him that he was terribly wrong. But when it came to Harry, Severus often bypassed his brain in favour of predetermined perceptions.

The headmaster looked up at Severus, “If what this passage says is true, then I can only assume that Harry is in some sort of danger.  I am not aware of any abuse, certainly not at Hogwarts.  As for his family, Arabella Figg has never informed me of any signs of physical or emotional abuse. Do you know anything about this, Severus?”  

“Why would I know anything about Potter’s family?” Seveurs said dismissively. Harry’s plea for him not to leave him alone echoed in Severus’ mind. Again, Severus shook the thought away. He had believed Harry to be a certain why for so long that it was hard to throw those beliefs away, in spite of the increasing evidence that proves otherwise.

“Well, then I must look into this,” Dumbledore continued, looking deeply worried. “Where is Harry now?”

“He is in his dorm, where he should be at this time of night.”

“Good.  I am worried that he may be in some danger. It says here that the protector was conjured for students who are in danger of physical harm in anyway. But if there is something or someone at Hogwarts that is a threat to young Harry, why did the protector show itself now, why not last year when Harry was in danger from the soul of Voldemort himself?”

Severus grimaced at the name of the Dark Lord.  “I do not know.  The passage is short and do not explain the magic well.  We need more information.  But I only found this out moments ago. There seems to be very little record of such a creature and a lack of any evidence at all.”

Dumbledore put the book down, “It does seem that this creature only has the best interest of Harry at heart. However, it’s fiercely protective qualities might make it a real danger to the rest of the school.”

“I can attest to that, Albus,” said Snape with a growl. “The protector attacked me, even though I was not even a danger to the boy.”

“Yes, Severus, you told me what happened. I do believe it was not your intention to harm Harry, but perhaps to this protector, you seemed hostile. Or, it had sensed Harry’s anxiety and decided to act upon it.”

“Yes.  And it was mistaken.  I wished no harm on Potter. This is what troubles me, Albus,” said Severus. “We do not yet know what how this creature thinks, what it is capable of doing, or what it will resort to in order to keep Potter safe. I was able to fight it off and my injuries were superficial. However, if it attacks one of the students, there’s no telling what damage it is could do a child.”

The elderly wizard took off his glass and rubbed his eyes.

“We may have a very aggressive creature on our hands then?”

“Indeed,” said Severus.

The headmaster stood up and began pacing the room. “Then we must act quickly. Find out everything we can about this creature.  I think I will consult the portraits on this matter, as well as the ghosts.  In the meantime, do everything possible to minimize the risk of it attacking either the faculty or the students.”

“And how do we do that? We cannot even see it, and my revealing charms reveal nothing at all.”

“Simple, show no hostility towards Harry,” Dumbledore answered. “Do not as so much raise your voice to him, do not threaten him with detention or upset him in anyway. 

“In other words, you want us to pamper Potter like a little celebrity?” Severus said with distaste. 

“Do not exaggerate my words, Severus. I simply want you to be kinder towards Harry,” said Dumbledore, stopping in front of the potions master. “I did not say for you to pamper him, only that you should not be so intimidating towards him. Keep in mind that at this time, we must take the necessary measures to be better safe than sorry.”

Severus sighed deeply, “very well.”

“Thank you, my boy,” Dumbledore smiled and walked passed Severus towards the floo. “I do not believe it is necessary yet to involve the students.  But I will call for a meeting of the faculty right now. You may stay, or leave, Severus.”

“If you don’t mind, headmaster, I will take my leave.”

“Fine, fine,” Dumbledore replied, “Do me a favour and ask the Bloody Baron if he has encountered something like this.”

 “Yes, Albus.”

“Oh, and Severus?”

“Yes, Albus?”

Dumbledore looked at Severus over his spectacles. “If you find anything or anyone that could be a potential harm to Harry, at Hogwarts or elsewhere, please let me know.”

Severus nodded and bid the headmaster good night.

As soon as Severus stepped through the floo,  he went through a mental list of things that could possibly trigger the wrath of the protector again. If this protector was so sensitive to the feelings of Potter as to think of him as a threat, when he had been nothing but stern to the brat, there’s no telling what or who might trigger it.

Draco could also trigger the protector by throwing a childish insult at Potter.  It could even be Lockhart, trying to win trick Potter into a contract.

It could be an ill-tempered Filch, shaking a broom at him. It could be Weasley, giving Potter a friendly shove. This may be unlikely because the passage said that the protector reacted to the child’s emotions.  But, as Albus had said, it is far better to be safe than sorry.

Severus rubbed his face tiredly and prepared for bed, thinking of how life would be so much more simple and lovely without the Potter brat complicating things.

***

The second year defence class rejoiced at having one of their classes cancelled and scattered in all directions before a professor comes along and force them back inside the classroom. By dinner time rumour had spread among the girls that the famous professor had left them behind to pursue some grander endeavour.  Apparently, he had been called off Africa to help the local people battle a legendary monster.  Most of the boys couldn’t care less and agreed that Lockhart’s departure was the best thing to happen this year.  

Harry sat at the Great hall, feeling very downhearted. It had been a very bad week for him and he couldn’t wait for it to be over. He had been stalked by a monster, witness it attack Snape, failed his potions exam and now utterly at a lost by Professor Lockhart’s sudden resignation.

At the head table, the seat reserved for Professor Lockhart was empty.  The official explanation was that Professor Lockhart had to leave due to personal reasons.  Much to the glee of the Ravenclaws…and Hermione….and the dismay of everybody else, the defence class was not cancelled indefinitely.  Headmaster Dumbledore also announced that Professor McGonagall, Professor Snape and Professor Flitwick would be taking turns teaching defence until a replacement could be found.  In the meantime, the duties of deputy headmistress duties would be transferred to Dumbledore, as not to put too much pressure on poor Professor McGonagall.

Harry was listening raptly for anything about a creature on the loose, such as a warning to students not to travel alone.  Surely, if this creature was dangerous enough to scare off a professor, Dumbledore would tell them about it? Wouldn’t he? All he wanted was some answers. But Professor Dumbledore said no more and went back to his seat.  

Professor Snape's chair was also empty, but it was mot uncommon for the potions professor to dine alone in his quarters. 

As supper appeared on the table, the great hall became abuzz with chatter.  

“Harry, you have to eat,” Hermione lectured, but Harry didn’t feel hungry. How could he eat when he knew there was something loose in the castle, stalking him?

Professor Lockhart’s warning echoed in his ear.

There’s something in the castle. A dangerous creature…stalking the castle…old magic…leave with your life Potter, while it’s still yours to leave with.

Harry did not like the sound of that at all.  He had managed to escape death because of this mother’s love last year, Harry wasn’t sure he would be so lucky again. And the fact that the creature hadn’t hurt him yet did little to reassure Harry.

Harry groaned for the umpteenth time as he continued to play with his food.

“Harry, I’m sure it’s fine.  Just let the professors handle it,” said Hermione and she tried making things better by offering him dessert before he’s even had any supper. “Here, have some cake.”

Cake!

Harry dropped his fork and it fell on off the table to the floor.

Cake!  Dobby! 

The memory came flooding back to Harry like it happened only hours ago.  How in the world had he forgotten about Dobby? Hadn’t Dobby warned him about Hogwarts, that he was in great danger here? The house-elf had gone as far as to try and get harry kicked out of school! Was this what Dobby was worried about, this invisible creature?

“Harry, what is it?” Somebody asked him.  But Harry wasn’t listening. Without notice, he swung his legs over the bench, grabbed his knapsack and ran out of the Great Hall.  Ron and Hermione looked at each other for several long seconds, stunned by Harry’s unusual behaviour, before giving chase.

“Harry! Slow down! What’s wrong?” Hermione shouted.

“Where are you going, mate?” Ron called after him.

Harry’s feet carried him towards the Professor Snape’s office. He was almost half way there when his brain finally caught on. The Gryffindor stopped running and stood in place, confused.  Why was he heading towards Snape’s office?  He wanted to tell a professor about Dobby and his warning, but he didn’t want to tell Snape. Sure, it had been Professor Snape who helped him the other night. And it made sense because Professor Snape had already started the research and maybe this information could help. But…Professor Dumbledore or Professor McGonagall could just as well help him. He didn’t want Snape’s help anyway…

“Hey, Potter!”

Harry groaned very loudly, tilted his head back and slumped his shoulders. It was Draco Malfoy, accompanied by dumb and dumber, here to wreak havoc on Harry’s life again.

Before he could even tell Malfoy to shove off, a faint blur dashed between Harry and Draco and knocked the Slytherin off his feet.

Chapter End Notes:
Tag Luck, you have until 2:15 am. 08/05/2013