Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Tales from Tibet

Severus Snape had only just rounded the corner from his office when he saw Draco Malfoy being attacked by a creature that he could only describe as offensive. It walked upright and was small, about the size of a house elf, but there the similarities ended. The creature had unnatural, translucent white skin, as though it had never seen the light of day or like the flesh of a decomposing body that had been languishing in stagnant water for several days. It was much like the ever-rotting flesh of a Dementor. Its limbs and torso were bloated, twisted and deformed, appearing like something that mother nature felt was so severely deformed that it was not compatible with life in any normal circumstance. It reeked of Dark Magic. Severus only identified it by the familiar low growls and snarls; it was the thing that had attacked him earlier. He glanced over at Potter who was standing, motionless, his small form pressed against the stone wall of the dimly lit corridor. His face was frighteningly pale, his green eyes were glassy and standing out in stark relief against the bloodless skin. The former spy had his wand drawn from his cloak in a fraction of a second and sent multiple hexes at the vile creature, being careful not to hit Draco. Only one spell struck home, inducing the beast to release the tow-headed boy and scamper, snarling around the darkened corner. Severus sorely wanted to give chase, but he more important matters at hand.

Draco was already standing upright, scowling and smoothing down his hair. Severus noted several scratches on his cheek and his cloak was torn in multiple places. “What the bloody hell was that?” Draco spat, then paled a bit seeing his Head of House. “Sorry, Sir.”

Yes, the spoiled boy would be just fine. Severus did not acknowledge the boy’s slip of the tongue, he only directed his young snake to the hospital wing to have the scratches seen about.

Severus turned to the Gryffindor, and it was only then the surly man realized the boy hadn’t moved from his position against the wall.

“Potter!” Severus barked, as he moved closer to the boy, who was exhibiting clear signs of shock.

As the Slytherin Head of House moved to shake him by the shoulder, the boy went limp and tumbled into Severus’ arms, unconscious. Shocked, the young teacher did the only thing he could; he carried Harry Potter to the hospital wing, praying the entire time that no one witnessed it.

~~~~

Not half an hour later, after leaving the boy in Madam Pomfrey’s very capable hands, the Slytherin spy was in Dumbledore’s office. Severus paced to and fro in front of the headmaster's ornate claw-footed desk, his faced creased with worry.

“Headmaster, this is most concerning. The Protector, as rare as it may be, takes a different form for each child in need. However, no one has ever seen its shape because it has always been invisible. However, I saw the creature that attacked Draco Malfoy. I have never witnessed anything like it. The creature was evilly twisted and grotesque, almost obscene. It reeked of darkness."

The Potions Master stopped pacing and dropped wearily into the armchair across from Dumbledore’s desk. “What would such a creature want with the boy? Why does it seem to recognize him?"

The Headmaster was quiet for a moment, his long fingers steepled in front of him. "Are you familiar with the term Tulpa, Severus?"

“Only vaguely, it refers to a Tibetan term for an idea literally come to life, if I remember correctly. It is not a subject that has been explored extensively."

Dumbledore nodded as he stood and pulled out several very old-looking scrolls from one of the many cabinets in the office.

“Tibet has long been thought of as a mysterious, magical place where the strange is commonplace, even for Muggles. It is here that we find the origins of the Tulpa. The word Tulpa refers to any entity that attains reality and corporeal form solely by the power of the mind and innate magic, not using spells, potions, or a wand. This entity can be seen by not only the creator, but by other people, including Muggles, as well. It can take any form that can be imagined," Dumbledore said as he placed the scrolls on top of his desk. Severus noticed the scrolls were not made of parchment, but of another, very strange material. The archaic language written on the scrolls was not one the Potions Master could even remotely identify.

“Is that lambskin vellum?" Severus interjected as he carefully touched one of the scrolls the older man was perusing.

Dumbledore glanced up at him over his half-moon spectacles. “No, I believe it is made from the flesh of another, more precious, mammal."

Severus, realizing to what his mentor was inferring, quickly withdrew his hand as though he had been scalded, then immediately felt foolish. Dumbledore did not seem to notice his childish reaction and continued talking.

“There are several problems associated with creating a Tulpa, if you are not fully informed on the subject. The major problem is that if the Tulpa is given enough vitality, life, and magic from the witch or wizard who is its creator, it tends to become partially sentient and then will try to free itself from the master’s control."

“Tibetan wizards often tell of Tulpas which had been sent out to do the bidding of its master and then failed to return on completion of its task. Rather, the Tulpa chose to become a half-conscious entity capable of all types of chaos and can have powerful magic of its own right. This can also happen if its creator dies or becomes incapacitated before dissolving the entity back into his consciousness.”

The Headmaster rolled up the current scroll he was reading and pulled open another one.

“In some cases the entity behaves like a rebellious child and the wizards report cases of great struggles between the master and the Tulpa. Often the Tulpa can seriously injure or even kill its creator. Also, like all magic, the Tulpa can be used for good or evil, depending on the intent of the wizard who creates it.”

Severus digested this information slowly, trying to understand all the implications of what the Headmaster was saying. Was he trying to say the boy, Lily’s Boy, had been dabbling in the Dark Arts? Why else would the Tulpa be attacking people who threatened Harry?

“Headmaster,” Severus croaked as he managed to find his voice. “What are you trying to say? Could Potter-”

The august headmaster held up a gnarled hand. “I do not believe for a moment that Harry could even fathom how to create a Tulpa. However, because of what occurred on that Halloween night in Godric’s Hollow, Harry’s magic is intertwined with Voldemort’s. It is not beyond comprehension that when Tom Riddle attended school, he may have attempted to create one and subsequently forgot about it, but did not actively dissolve it back into his subconscious. It may have lingered here all this time, or perhaps he hid it away for later use. I do know that he had already begun to experiment with some of the Darkest Magic before he left Hogwarts.”

Severus nodded in agreement. “I can imagine the idea of such an entity could be appealing to him, and he was very skilled in the mind arts. Why would it protecting the boy?”

Dumbledore suddenly looked very tired and every bit his age. “This turn of events only helps to further confirm a hypothesis I have developed about why Harry survived that night. However, it is only one of many theories.”

“What is this particular theory, Headmaster?”

“Perhaps a bit of Voldemort was transferred to Harry that night. It is not unthinkable the Tulpa recognizes that small portion of his master and acts as thus.”

Severus felt a cold lump settle in his stomach at those words. He did not even want to think about what that meant for the boy in the future, so he decided to concentrate on the issue at hand.

“So this Tulpa, which Harry is likely subconsciously controlling at present, will eventually try to break free from him, thinking he is the master, and could possibly hurt the boy or kill him?”

“Yes, Severus,” Dumbledore gravely replied. “That is exactly what could happen and we must find a way to stop it.”

Tag JA! Posted at 5:00 pm CST