Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Time Returns

Harry ran inside at Father Christmas' call. The time had come for them to go to the Yuletide Time Turner, and Father Christmas led the two of them through the workshop, seeming sad that they had to go. Snape walked slowly but purposefully, like he was deep in thought. Harry wanted to ask what was on his mind, but thought it better not to interrupt. With his book under his arm, Harry followed them through a narrow little hallway, and then up a spiral staircase and into a tower that had glass windows all around in a great circle, almost like a lighthouse. In the center was an enormous set of gold hoops, with a giant hourglass in it. The whole golden apparatus was enclosed in a large, crystalline, bubble-like structure. A golden, shimmering line in the air acted like a dividing rope around the hourglass in its bubble. Father Christmas went inside the golden line for a moment, then tapped the hourglass with his wand. Harry watched as a tiny little sign sitting in front of it changed slightly. The words Entrance Hall, Hogwarts were scrawled across it, with the time 9:45 PM.

"That should take you back, directly to the Entrance Hall at Hogwarts, shortly after you two left," Father Christmas said. "You were both here by then so no danger of running into yourselves. It's a bit more advanced than most time turners, and can transport you places too. Three minutes until it activates, so you two had best get through the divider."

"Thank you so much, sir, for everything!" Harry said eagerly. "This is the best Christmas gift I ever could have gotten."

"No, thank you, Harry," Father Christmas said, shaking Harry's hand. Harry did as he had been told, and walked through the golden line. It felt like going through an elastic band that had suddenly decided to stop being solid.

"It was a pleasure," Snape said with a genuine smile, shaking Father Christmas' hand.

Harry looked around at the Yuletide Time Turner behind him, admiring the clear bubble all around it.

"Father Christmas, what's this bubble for?" Harry asked, tapping the glass.

"The golden hoops move, so it acts as a barrier so you stay out of the way," Father Christmas replied. "Oh, and Harry, call me Jeremy."

"Sorry, sir?" Harry said, confused.

"That man, standing next to you," said Father Christmas (Jeremy, Harry supposed) as he pointed to Snape, "Is Father Christmas now. I'm retiring, and he's taking my place."

"Professor Snape, really?" Harry cried, shocked to the core.

"Yes," Snape said, an uncharacteristic moment of terror evident on his face. "I think I must be crazy for saying yes, but the old codger convinced me."

They looked at each other in shock, and then Snape cracked a smile. Father Christmas' eyes twinkled.

"Do you still need a helper?" Harry said hopefully.

"You know, Potter, I think I might," Snape said. "You're not half as bad as I thought you were, but do try not to let anyone else know that."

"Ah, here comes the sun," Father Christmas said as the sun finally emerged over the horizon, and flooded the room with light. "Have a good year, you two. Send me any questions you have, Severus. You know where to find me."

Then, with the sound of Christmas bells ringing, Harry watched as the golden hoops began to move. The sun went back down again, and Father Christmas vanished, and the stars reappeared and disappeared behind clouds. Then, all at once, everything went black and the air around the two of them rushed and whirled.

Harry felt his feet land firmly on stone.

He opened his eyes, and sure enough, he was in the entrance hall.

"Sir, my watch says 9:45 again," Harry said, surprised.

"Time Turners, Potter," said Snape. "Fascinating things."

Harry glanced up at him, surprised by the slightly nervous look Snape had on his face all of a sudden. 

***

Severus glanced around. Nobody was coming.

"Potter," he said, "Before you go back to your common room, I just thought I'd mention that I found something you might like, when I went back to get Rain."

"Sir?"

Severus dug around in his pocket. He felt he rather owed Potter, now that he knew what his home life was like. He had been completely wrong, and as soon as Severus could think of a suitable cover story, Dumbledore would hear about it. He found what he was looking for, and pulled it out.

"Sorry it isn't framed," he said, "but it is out of an album. Your mother grew up in Cokeworth too, and we were friends growing up. I thought you would like a picture of her."

Potter looked shocked to the core, but took the picture, drinking in her image. To Severus' amazement, tears filled Potter's eyes.

"I … you two were friends?" he said faintly, wiping his eyes.

"We were," Severus said heavily. "Same year and everything. She was in Gryffindor, though, and I was in Slytherin."

"I've never seen a picture of her," Potter said sadly. "Thank you."

"No problem," replied Severus.

"But I didn't get you anything for Christmas," Potter said suddenly, sounding like this thought bothered him immensely.

"I hardly think that matters," Severus said, surprised. "But you know what would make my Christmas?"

"What?" Potter asked.

"If you could hurry back to Gryffindor tower so I don't have to take points for you being out after curfew," Severus said. "Minerva will simply kill me if I take any points from her house tonight, of all nights. I would rather keep being murdered off my holiday to do list."

"Well, only if it's to save your skin sir," Potter said jokingly.

"Watch it," warned Severus lightly.

"Merry Christmas, sir," Potter said with a grin before heading off in the direction of Gryffindor tower, pulling his book out of his pocket and putting it under his arm.

"You too, Mr. Potter," Severus said, nodding and turning round.

He hated to admit it, but the kid was growing on him.

***

Harry entered the common room to find Ron and Percy just starting their game.

"What took you so long, mate?" Ron asked, not taking his eyes off the board. "Twenty minutes to get to the Great Hall and back - what, did you have to look under the tables?"

"Twenty minutes, really?" Harry said with a laugh, handing Ron the copy of Quidditch Through the Ages to borrow. "Ran into Snape on the way."

"That git," Ron said as the other Weasleys grimaced with sympathy. "He didn't take points, did he?"

"No, he didn't," Harry said, grinning. "And you know, Ron, you might want to watch who you call a git. Never know, Father Christmas might swap all your presents for frog intestines or something."

"Intestines?" Ron said incredulously. "Dunno who you think Father Christmas is, but I'm pretty sure it's coal he gives to bad kids."

"Oh, I don't know, anything's possible," Harry said, holding back a laugh.

"Sure mate. Oy, Percy, watch it! I will smash your pieces to bits after that move!"

Harry sunk back into the sofa, yawning and watching his friends playing chess with a great deal of fondness. They would never know, and he was happy to think that he knew something they wouldn't believe in their dizziest daydreams.

***

Severus debated going back to his quarters rather than go back to the staff party, but decided against it. His head was still swimming with what he had agreed to do, and he didn't think he could sleep anyway. He hoped that the noise and terrible music would bore him enough so it would take the edge off his lingering nerves.

He entered the staff room, and sure enough the Christmas music was still going, and the drinks were being passed around, and Christmas crackers being pulled.

"Just in time for another round of cards," Dumbledore called to Severus, looking silly with a bright pink bowler hat on his head. "Come and join us Severus!"

For once, Severus said yes, to the surprise of the other staff.

He went over and sunk down in the empty seat on the sofa, which was a part of the huddle of chairs and seats surrounding the small table. Minerva and Pomona occupied the other seats, and Flitwick came by and took his chair with the cushions again.

"Have a drink, Severus, go on," Flitwick squeaked, levitating punch and other drinks to those who had asked.

"Oh alright, you sod," Severus said. "You only bother me every year like this."

"Shirley Temple, right?" Flitwick said jokingly.

"Funny," Severus said dryly, but Flitwick handed him a beer instead, which he accepted.

He tapped the top with his wand and the cap popped off, then took a swig.

"Watch where you're dealing!" Severus said as Dumbledore's enthusiastic card dealing skills landed part of his hand on the floor, forcing him to root around the carpet for it.

The round commenced, and to his surprise, it wasn't half bad. Of course, one drink later and Severus, who had been up for hours, was exhausted. He found himself nodding off, despite his best intentions.

The world fuzzed in and out of focus, something he couldn't keep unnoticed by the other staff members.

"Bless him," said Minerva to the others with a laugh, "one drink and out like a light. Worse than a student, he is."

"I've been up all day and all night, what do you expect!"

"All night, I hardly think so," Pomona said, laughing. "It's not even close to late!"

"Yeah, sure," Severus said, rubbing his eyes and wishing he could enlighten them. "It's got to be one already."

"No, eleven."

"Go to bed, Severus," Sinistra said through laughter. "While you still have some reputation intact."

"As if I would listen to you, Sinistra, you starry-eyed -"

"Go to bed!" the rest of the table chorused at odd intervals, so Severus got up.

"Well, if you insist," he said, stretching before starting for the door. "Besides, if I had to spend another minute with all of you I would have gone batty."

"That's not very nice!" Pomona said, pretending to be shocked and affronted.

Severus turned round, staring at them all in a very serious manner.

"Really, well who do I look like, Father Christmas?" he said, unable to stop a grin from spreading across his face, all intentions of seriousness forgotten.

"Obviously not!" a few of them called through laughter, tossing pretzels at him as he made a hasty retreat.

"Merry Christmas, everyone," he said tiredly, the remnants of a smile still on his face as he opened the door.

Just as he walked out of the room, one last comment met his ears.

"My lord, did he just say Merry Christmas?"

"I HEARD THAT!" he yelled, just to spite them.

But he smirked anyway.

The End.