Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Story Notes:

Hope ya'll enjoy this ride with me. :3 

One: The Start of a Bad Day

It just happened to be one of those days. 

Every person had one once and a while, but for Harry Potter it seemed as if the good days – or heck, the normal days – were the rare ones. It was bad enough that he had Umbridge on his back every minute of every hour of every day. He had enough trouble dealing with her. Not to mention the entire school whispering constantly behind his back – or to his face, even – about how crazy he was because he insisted that Voldemort was back. 

Oh, yeah. Cedric just ‘dropped dead on his own accord’. One minute he was breathing and then the next, he decided, “I think I’m gonna stop now.” 

The entire wizarding world had brilliance in their brains, didn’t they? 

So, of course, Harry couldn’t just deal with another teacher that was out to get him or couldn’t just deal with an entire hostile wizarding world that thought he was bonkers – no, then, this had to happen. 

Harry officially decided that he had to be cursed. There was no other explanation for it. He was cursed – cursed to have some psychopathic lunatic on his case who wanted him dead; cursed to have a squat, pink, toad hag person carving lies into the back of his hand; and finally, cursed in the worst possible way by his arch rival. 

No, it wasn’t enough he had to be the deranged Boy-Who-Lived; no, it wasn’t enough he couldn’t have a normal life – no, Fate decided that he just needed one more problem in his life. 

How glorious. 

“Uh… cheer up, mate,” tried Ron, his tone attempting to be comforting. “It could’ve been Malfoy.” 

The red headed boy that Harry considered to be his best friend – although he was seriously reconsidering it now just because of that comment – received a clout to the back of his head by their other friend, Hermione. 

“Emotional span of a teaspoon, I swear,” muttered Hermione, shaking her head. Harry tried to smile at the situation, but it only came out as an odd grimace. 

“I’m not sure if Snape is any better…” 

As such, said Professor was currently barraging Draco Malfoy with an endless, furious stream of the worst things Harry had ever heard the Potions Master say to any human being – including himself, and that was saying a lot. It was, after all, Malfoy’s fault that the two of them were in this mess in the first place. The small group of Harry, Ron, Hermione, Draco, and Professor Snape were currently inside the Headmaster’s office. 

Thus, the sordid tale began that afternoon, just before Potions Class. 

As usual, Malfoy had been attempting to get a rise out of Harry and his friends. The night before, Harry had had another detention with Umbridge and honestly didn’t have the energy to retort with any bite. So, he had just ignored the other boy – which had been his first mistake. The scene had unfolded within the span of ten seconds, but to Harry it seemed to be an eternity. 

As Harry passed by the other boy, he heard Malfoy shout. 

Adversus adhaero!” 

The spell blasted into his back, thrusting his body forward towards the open classroom door. At that very same moment, Professor Snape appeared in the doorway – no doubt to rebuke any wayward student still lingering in the hallway. Harry crashed right into the Potions Master, sending the both of them toppling to the floor. 

All within ten seconds. 

The rest of the disaster was a blur to Harry. All he could remember were his two frantic friends pulling him off of Professor Snape. There’d been a babble of voices, all loud, as Harry’s mind felt sluggish and muddled. The spell that Malfoy had done wasn’t known to any of them. Thus, Professor Snape had carted the two boys with tight hands to the back of their necks to the Headmaster’s office – with Ron and Hermione trailing behind, insisting that they come. 

Then, at the knowledge of what the spell actually did… Well, it made Armageddon sound like teatime. 

“Excuse me, Albus…” began Snape after Dumbledore announced what the spell did; his voice terribly soft – it sent chills down Harry’s back. “I do not think I quite heard you correctly. Mind repeating that?” 

Professor Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore, Headmaster – and who had an obnoxiously long name – sat behind his desk with his elbows resting against the surface. His long, aged fingers were interlocked, covering his mouth and showing twinkling, amused blue eyes through half moon spectacles. Oh, yes, the old man was looking far too amused by the whole situation. So much so, that Severus was about to explode his rage onto the old codger. 

Maybe turning those obnoxiously neon orange robes into the permanent dreary color of black. Oh, yes. Simple revenge for those irritating eyes. 

“I am afraid that repeating it doesn’t change the facts, Severus,” said Dumbledore, those blasted eyes twinkling again. “The spell that young Mr. Malfoy here used is an ancient one that binds two people together. At the time, it was used by parents who had disagreeable children who never got along. The spell insists that the two persons stay within ten feet of each other. How long… well, that depends on the persons involved, now doesn’t it?” 

The old man smiled expectantly at Harry and Severus. 

Severus breathed in deeply through his nose, his chest expanding as his dark eyes widened in his building fury. 

“And you are saying that this spell has been attached to Mr. Potter and myself?” 

“Yes, that’s right.” 

Severus whirled on Draco, rage exploding off his face as snarled down on the boy. 

“You imbecile!” shouted Snape furiously. “How could you be so utterly idiotic to use an ancient spell!?” 

The tirade against Malfoy continued as Snape shouted and yelled and rebuked the cowering teen. Spittle flecked the teen’s face, but he wisely made no move to wipe it away. The sound of Snape’s irate voice dominated the entire office. It all melded together in Harry’s mind – he still felt a bit muddled after the spell. There were a few, “Detention until NEWTs!” and possibly a few, “—use your innards for potions!” 

To be honest, all Harry wanted to do was go up to the Gryffindor common room and go to bed – yes, it was only the afternoon, but he was too overwhelmed by the whole thing at that very moment. His hand was still stinging from his detention, even after a good night’s sleep. It felt a bit inflamed as well. This whole thing just added to the long list of ‘Everything bad happened to Harry’. 

And then, it slowly began to settle inside his mind. He wouldn’t be able to go back to the Gryffindor common room, now would he? He was stuck with Snape for however long until the spell wore off or was broken. His breathing began to quicken as the knowledge slowly began to crash down on him. He was cursed. That was a fact, no doubt about it. Professor Snape’s fury might be currently trained on Malfoy, but Harry knew it was only a matter of time before the man’s pure enmity was fully focused on himself. 

It had to be the worst thing to have ever happened to Harry since his parents died. He was cursed to stay within ten feet of the very man that loathed his existence just a little more than Voldemort himself. 

Dumbledore put on a bright smile again and lifted a tin towards Harry, shaking it gently. 

“Lemon drop?” 

Harry closed his eyes. Oh, it was going to be a long day.