Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Twenty-Nine: Poison From Within

Excuse me! This is my hospital wing and I’ll have to request that you leave at once. The students are still recovering!”

“Hem, hem, Madam Pomfrey, this is a matter of great importance.”

There was a pause.

“What is this?!” snapped Pomfrey, sounding both confused and furious. “No visitors allowed at this time. These children need time—Albus, oh, thank Merlin. Get these people out of my hospital wing!”

“I’m afraid I can’t, Poppy.”

Harry cracked opened his eyes, feeling a little annoyed at being woken up like this for the second day in a row. He shifted in his bed. He moved his arm, flexing his swollen fingers. He glanced over at Luna’s bed. She was awake and gazing towards the entrance of the wing. The light in her eyes was dim. He followed her gaze.

Harry’s heart sunk.

It was freaking Umbridge, walking through the hospital wing. What the heck was she doing here? Not only that, the Minister himself, Cornelius Dumb-Fudge, was standing beside her with his nose tipped in the air. There were four other men standing near him; though, Harry wasn’t sure who they were. By the way they held themselves, he could only assume they were Aurors. A chill slid down his back.

This couldn’t be good.

“What’s going on here?” demanded a sharp voice. Harry sucked in his breath, his head whipped to the side. Snape stood from his seat. His dark eyes were filled with deep fury.

He was sitting beside my bed again.

“Severus.”

Dumbledore shook his head from behind the group. There was no twinkling in the old man’s eyes. His lips were thinned so much that his mouth couldn’t be seen beneath his beard.

Harry sat up in bed, pushing his pillow back so he could lean against it. With a sigh of relief, he noticed that there was little pain in his body now. He stared at the group with dread in his chest. He wished he could figure out what was going on. If he could stay a step ahead of the adults, then maybe he could keep himself out of trouble.

Right.

Other students were slowly stirring from their sleep. Others were awake and sitting up in their beds. Harry didn’t see any of the prefects, including Ron or Hermione. Harry tensed, his attention snapping back to the intruding group. They stopped at the foot of his bed. Harry breathed in deeply through his nose, looking up at them.

No matter what happens, I have someone who will fight for me. I don’t have to fight alone any more. Snape said he would protect me.

But just because I don’t have to fight any more, doesn’t mean I won’t. To be someone like Snape someday, to be someone who can protect the weak, I’m going to fight.

I just have to fight differently than a Gryffindor.

Harry lifted his chin and stared directly into Umbridge’s eyes. She smiled at him. Harry gave her a blithe smile in return.

Luna might be rubbing off on him too much.

“Professor Umbridge,” said Harry, his voice light. “It’s so nice of you to visit me when I’ve been sick.”

It’s your fault, hag.

Her lips thinned. “Of course, Mr. Potter. After all, I have your best interests at heart.”

Harry just smiled.

Liars like you burn for all eternity.

At least, they should.

“Harry Potter,” said Fudge, in a rather pompous tone. Harry was sorely tempted to respond the same.

“Yes?” said Harry, tilting his head to the side and blinking up at the man with that same blithe smile.

Fudge frowned and shifted, as if uncomfortable. He coughed for a moment. “Yes, well,” he began awkwardly. “Dolores has mentioned that you’ve shown some… difficulty with authority, due to previous poor guardians. I hope you’re behaving yourself now.”

“Oh, yes,” said Harry brightly. Internally, he wanted nothing more than to shove his wand up this man’s nose, like the nasty troll that he was. “I was horribly lost before she showed me the discipline and care that I needed.”

There was a strange choking sound from Snape.

Harry only smiled.

Umbridge seemed to puff up with pride. A long, sharp needle would’ve taken care of that. Pop.

Play their game. Say what they want to hear.

Fudge smiled, appearing pleased. “Well, that’s good,” he said, the awkwardness gone. He frowned. “As I recall, you didn’t want to return to your relatives in your third year…”

“No, sir,” said Harry, trying not to grit his teeth. He shoved all thoughts about the Dursleys to the back of his mind. “I also wanted to say how sorry I am for causing trouble.”

There was that strange choking sound again.

But he had succeeded. Both hated adults were smiling at him, almost dotingly. Fudge nodded and gave a shake of the head. “No worries, my boy. I see that Dolores has been very good for you. A huge change from last I saw you. I’m sure she’ll take excellent care of you when she gains custody of you.”

I’d like to see her try.

“Minister,” said one of the Aurors in a hushed tone. “Time.”

“Oh, yes, enough chitchat. There’s a reason we’re here,” said Fudge, shaking himself. He turned away from Harry’s bed. “I’ll get straight to the point, Dumbledore: you are under arrest for neglecting the students.”

WHAT?

Dumbledore sighed, shaking his head. “Some things never change,” he muttered.

“Wait just a minute!” cried Pomfrey with a gasp. “You can’t be foolish enough to think Albus had anything do to with this?” She motioned to the hospital wing. “This isn’t an epidemic. This has been caused by a Black Quill.”

“Don’t be ridiculous,” said Umbridge with a breathy laugh.

Pomfrey growled beneath her breath. She marched up to the closest bed, took the student by the hand – a young Hufflepuff boy who looked an elf in wandlight – and lifted it in the air for all to see.

I must not disobey my elders,” said Pomfrey, her voice ringing loud through the wing. “Tell me, what else would do this but a Black Quill? Open your eyes and see the truth for once.”

“Poppy, it’s okay.”

And in that moment, as Harry watched the adults look at each other with a strange light in their eyes, somehow, he knew it wasn’t going to work. Fudge was going to ignore the truth that was staring at him in the face. The four Aurors were going to ignore it, too. It was obvious: they were here to get what they wanted.

And what they wanted was for Dumbledore to take the blame.

“Self mutilation,” said Fudge with a dismissive wave. The poor Hufflepuff paled so much, he looked like a powdered donut. “Kids these days… I’ve seen tattoos with better taste than that.”

Fear slammed into Harry’s chest. It was so powerful that he had to turn to the side to gasp through a cough. His hands clenched the blanket.

He’s in on this whole thing, isn’t he? He probably gave Umbridge that stupid quill. But is he really willing to risk angering parents? What about the ones who support him? He’s got to be playing a dangerous game here.

Was he so afraid of Voldemort’s return that he was willing to harm children?

“Dumbledore, you’ve been lax in protecting the students of this school for years now.”

Really? This was really happening? This was the government for the wizarding world? No wonder there had been so many Dark Lords in the past hundred years. There was something seriously wrong with these people. These were the people who were supposed to protect them. These were the people who were supposed to uphold the law, not rewrite it to suit their own desires.

“I’ve been too much of a pushover, I’ll be honest, letting you do whatever you want because of your history.”

As a child, Harry had always wanted power – power to protect himself, power to protect others. He’d always been powerless, so when he had learned that he was a wizard with a strange yet wonderful ability to wield what could not be wielded by ordinary people, it had truly changed his life.

Yet, he still had to go back to the Dursleys. He still had to feel powerless before them. With his magic, he could’ve done anything he wanted to them. But he couldn’t. But he didn’t.

He could understand Tom Riddle, in a way, now.

“Trolls, petrified students, and that unfortunate business with Barty Crouch Jr. Now this year, you’ve been trying to incite panic in the public about some make believe story about You-Know-Who’s return. At least Dolores was able to get a handle on the boy here.”

At this, Harry had reached his limit. He was tired of adults using him – whether as a house elf or political reasons – he was done with them. If he hadn’t had Snape on his side, Harry suspected that he would’ve been far more cynical about the whole matter.

Instead, he felt something inside himself drive him towards change. Nodding and smiling, gritting his teeth and clenching his fists, keeping his head down and bowing to authority – he had done that for years. He’d been too weak to stand up for himself.

Now that he thought about it… He had been lying to himself all these years. He had been forced to put on a facade, a mask for the Dursleys. He’d even put on a mask for his friends – though, it was a much smaller one. He’d never had anyone that he had felt safe enough to take off the mask.

“But now, with so many students getting sick, I have no choice but to remove you as Headmaster of this school.”

Was he brave enough?

Was he done with hiding behind a mask? Was he done lying to himself, lying about who he was, who he wanted to be – would he finally step out of the shadows?

Harry looked at his right hand; the scarred words, red with youth, grew white with his clenched fist.

I must not tell lies.

Well, if that’s what she’s wants, then I’ll give it to her.

If I want to be a Potions Master, I’m not going to afraid of what my friends will think about it. If I have something to say to them, I’m going to say it. I’m not going to be afraid. I’m not going to lie to myself any more.

He had a good friend who was skilled in that area, after all.

I won’t lie to myself any longer.

“Albus Dumbledore, you’re under arrest for putting these poor children in danger, time and time again.”

Pain raced down his arm into his hand.

Harry sucked in his breath, grabbing his arm. It was sharp, as if his nerves were being electrified. He hunched over, drawing in a deep breath and trying not to make a scene. Thankfully, the moment passed just as quickly as it had occurred. He glanced up at the group. Only Snape had noticed. Harry looked away, flexing his hand, when he caught sight of the back of his hand. He stared.

The scars were gone.

His skin was untouched with the sign of Umbridge’s torture.

Right, okay, now’s not really the time to wonder about this.

Was it too much to hope that his lightning bolt scar was gone, too?

Harry put a hand to his forehead. He could still feel the raised skin of his lightning bolt scar.

“Dawlish, Savage, take him.”

Before the Aurors could take a step towards Dumbledore, there was a flash of light. Harry gasped, squeezing his eyes shut. There was a pause, before he slowly opened his eyes.

Everyone else in the hospital wing had been put to sleep, except for Harry and Snape. The Aurors, Fudge, and Umbridge had all fallen in a heap on the floor. Dumbledore sighed, rubbing his eyes beneath his glasses.

“Things are moving faster than I expected,” said Dumbledore. “I had no idea Cornelius was capable of this.”

Snape remained silent. He sat back down in his chair and folded his arms. The light in his eyes was dark.

“Will you ever forgive me, Severus?” asked Dumbledore, gazing at Snape with sincere sadness in his eyes. “I modified her memory. She won’t remember the incident in my office.”

“Tell him.”

“I haven’t much time—”

Tell him!” snapped Severus. “You know what I’m talking about.”

Harry flinched, looking between the two men with wide eyes.

Dumbledore closed his eyes. “This is poor timing, Severus. But… as you wish.” He looked at Harry. He seemed to age a hundred years. “I can’t explain everything right now. But what Severus wants me to tell you is that… I am the reason why you stayed with the Dursleys. I am so sorry that—”

“I already know that,” said Harry, frowning in confusion. “It’s because of Mum’s sacrifice and blood, and whatever. I get that.”

Dumbledore hesitated. “I am also to blame for you getting stuck with the spell. I had orchestrated it from the beginning.”

Oh, wow. Okay.

Now that’s new.

Harry looked between the two men. What were they expecting? For Harry to be furious at Dumbledore? Sure, it’d been hard and annoying, but it really hadn’t been all that terrible. The first week had been weird, but it wasn’t like Snape had chopped him up and brewed him into potions.

“Then, I guess you’re the one I’m supposed to thank, right?”

Dumbledore opened his mouth. He closed it. Tears welled up in his eyes. He nodded, clearing his throat for a moment. He came to Harry’s right side and took him by the hand, patting him with intense emotion in his countenance.

“Thank you, Harry,” whispered Dumbledore. He patted his hand for another moment, before he pulled away. “Well, I better be off. They’ll all be waking up in a few minutes. I’m afraid I can’t afford to go to Azkaban right now.”

“Wait,” cried Harry, grabbing at whatever part of the old man’s robes that his hand could reach. Dumbledore turned slightly, shock entering his aged features. “Where are you going?”

“I was thinking I’d take a little trip.”

“But where?”

“Harry, enough,” snapped Snape. “Let him go.”

Dumbledore sighed. “This is a wonderful opportunity.” There was a brief pause; he glanced at Snape. “To weaken Tom.”

Weaken… Voldemort? He can be weakened?

Albus,” hissed Snape, his dark eyes glowing with intense fury. “Be silent.”

“Hang on, no,” said Harry, his head whipping back between them. “I’ve got a right to know this. He’s out for my neck, after all.”

“Your guardian doesn’t wish for me to talk about this.”

“That’s stupid!” shouted Harry. “I’m not a little kid. You can’t just go off on your own. You can’t fight him alone. It’s too dangerous.”

He can’t do it alone! He doesn’t have to do this alone. Like me.

“Harry—”

“Please, Professor, just don’t do anything stupid and don’t get killed. Please.

Dumbledore gave him a grateful, watery smile. “I won’t, child. Severus, protect him.”

There was a huff. “Of course.”

With that, there was another flash of light and the familiar cry of Fawkes. When the light cleared, the old man was gone. Harry swallowed, feeling that odd pit of worry for Dumbledore. He was the greatest wizard and most powerful wizard alive.

Yet, why did Harry feel like the old man would do something dumb by himself?

Within thirty seconds, Umbridge, Fudge, and the Aurors had woken up. Some of the students woke up as well, blinking owlishly. Chaos ensued. Cursing and spitting, Fudge roared out orders, demanding the capture of Albus Dumbledore. The hospital wing was quickly void of the four Aurors and the minister.

Only Umbridge remained. For a moment, she looked around the hospital wing, before her gaze fell upon Snape. Her eyes narrowed. “Snape,” she began. She frowned after a moment, as if she were being plagued by an annoying fly. “You’re on probation.”

“On what grounds?” asked Harry incredulously, before he could stop himself. Snape’s hands twitched. He gave Harry a quick glare.

“I can’t remember,” said Umbridge with a vague frown. There was a pause, before she shook herself. “I’ll be watching you, Severus. And Mr. Potter, I thought we discussed this. You need to be more respectful.”

“Of course, Professor,” said Harry. His jaw clenched briefly. “Forgive me.”

Umbridge gave him a sticky sweet smile. She leaned over his bed and patted the foot of his blanket.

“Don’t you worry, Mr. Potter – or should I start calling you Harry, hem, hem – I’ll make sure you have some stability after all this horrible mess. You won’t have to worry your little head about it.”

“I look forward to it,” whispered Harry, staring at her with a blank expression.

She turned away, unwise to his suppressed fury, and walked out of the hospital wing.

“This is ridiculous!” exploded Pomfrey, throwing her hands into the air. “I haven’t wanted to curse anyone so much since my brother in law cheated on my sister!”

Some of the students in the hospital wing sucked in their breaths; a few giggled. Pomfrey’s arms snapped back to her sides. She cleared her throat, seeming to be embarrassed, before she fled the wing and into her office. Harry was sure he heard something shatter in there once the door closed. The rest of the hospital wing surged with whispers and chatter other.

“Well,” began Luna’s gentle voice. “That was rather eventful.”

Snape sighed. “I don’t know what you were trying to accomplish, Harry,” he said with a shake of his head. “But that was positively Slytherin of you.”

“Is that a compliment?” asked Harry with a grin.

Snape pinched the bridge of his nose. “Of course not, brat.”

After a moment, he stood up and leaned towards Harry. The man placed a hand onto his forehead.

“It would appear that you’re getting better,” said Snape, pulling back. “Any pain?” Harry shook his head. “Good, then it would seem that the quill didn’t have any lasting effects on you. I’m sure you’ll be pleased to have this back into your possession.”

Snape lifted the phoenix wand into the air. Harry smiled, thrilled to see the welcoming sight of his wand. Looking forward to feeling the warmth that holding his wand would bring, he reached out to accept it.

As Harry’s fingers curled around the wood, a surge of power rushed through his arm. Before he could react, there was a small explosion. Smoke flooded through his nose, clogging his respiratory system. He coughed. As some of the smoke cleared, Harry’s heart stopped.

Where his wand had once been, now all that remained of it were blackened shreds of wood.

Chapter End Notes:
*breathes a sigh of relief* Woo, finally made it. So much needed to happen in the chapter to set up further stuff. It kept getting bigger and bigger, which is nice for you my dear readers, but harder on me. Haha.

Next update will be next Friday. If you enjoy my work and want to read more (and support the author), my original novel, Beyond the Alluring Sky is available on Amazon for only $0.99. :)

Anthy