Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 10: The Truth Shall Set you Free
Chapter 10: the Truth Shall Set you Free


Harry scoffed as Snape tried once more to gain his attention, he was well aware of what the man was trying to do. So he wanted to explain himself, on just why he threw him to his Head of house, well he didn't care at this point, he just knew that his teacher had betrayed his trust. He was content to ignore him for the rest of his life if that's what it took, but he only lasted week before Snape managed to corner him.


In honesty he was expecting it anyway, he lived with the man so naturally he was going to get caught. And he right the man did explain his actions and while Harry stubbornly pretended he didn't get what the man was trying to say he did. Snape clearly didn't want him to turn out like himself...go figure right? He shook his head at that trying to clear it, who the hell said he wanted to be like Snape anyway?


The week passed by pretty quickly after that and soon they were visited by Madame Pomprey who to Harry's relief finally cleared him as having a clean bill of health. Harry was excited about being able to sleep in the dorms with his mates, but he was a little sad that he would be leaving Snape's quarters, but that couldn't be helped as he was healed and he didn't want to get hurt again to have to be able to stay. Not to mention he really, really wanted to get back to his books, he felt like he was falling behind.


Severus still hadn't brought it to Harry's attention that he was aware of Harry's intellect. The fact of the matter was he was waiting until Harry was back in classes and he wanted see if he would still hide it. If he did continue to hide it then he would talk to him about it. He knew from a conversation with Albus that Harry had chosen to have Occlumency lessons with him instead of the Headmaster.


He was surprised for two reasons; one he was sure that Harry didn't actually need the help shielding his mind after finding one of his books were on mind magic. And second reason was he would have thought that the boy would have chosen to have them with Albus. Then again the boy did choose to stay with him so he shouldn't have been that surprised.


Severus cleared his throat when he saw Harry with his bag, obviously ready to go. He felt slightly awkward doing this, but it needed to be said. "You can come back down here at anytime, if you need help or just want too. The password will be the same," he promised.


Harry found himself grinning in spite of himself and nodded. "Okay," he murmured, a bit of the weight lifting off his chest before he walked out the door, unknowingly leaving a piece of his heart with Snape.


Sleeping in the Gryffindor tower that night was uneventful, and as he listened to the snores of the other boys he longed for the quiet that could only be found in his room in the dungeons. Would Snape let him keep his room or would he change it back to a guest bedroom? He found himself bothered by the fact that he didn't know the answer to that. The man was very complicated.


Despite the late hour he finally fell asleep, Harry awoke at 5:00am, feeling restless. He took his shower and got dressed, before he grabbed his book bag and went to the Great hall. At 5:45am there wasn't anyone around so he sat down at the Hufflepuff table and went over his homework that he'd already finished weeks ago. It was barely an acceptable grade and he smiled to himself at it, it was perfect. He knew he could do better but they didn't expect him to do better here and he wasn't trying to stand out anymore then what he did already.


"Dobby," Harry called out quietly.


"Yes, Harry Potter Sir?" The little elf responded, barely able to contain his excitement at being summoned by the wizard who considered him his friend.


"Can you bring me a small bowl of porridge with honey? A fried egg and toast with a glass of pumpkin juice?" Harry asked politely.


"Of course, Harry Potter Sir, I be right back," the little elf replied happily before he popped out of sight.

Harry smiled in amusement looking down at the vials that had appeared the moment he sat down. While he hated swallowing the vile concoctions they did have their uses, for one it was stretching his stomach and letting him have a bigger appetite. He could finally enjoy food again,


A few minutes later his food appeared in front of him, and he found himself eating quickly not wanting to be stared at when everyone else arrived. He finished his food and started reading a book, he remembered checking out from the muggle library. He was so into his book that he didn't see or hear the students piling in to the hall until Hannah and Susan sat down in front of him.

He spoke to them, before he grabbed his stuff, and left early for his Transfiguration class. He was waiting by the door for his teacher and classmates to arrive; after 45 minutes they appeared.

It was Transfiguration with the Slytherins and he didn't know where to sit, so he took a seat directly in the middle of the classroom. That way he didn't have to choose a side if one looked at it that way. Class started and Harry gave McGonagall no reason to question him and it seem to fly by for him. When class ended, not wanting her to keep him back; he nearly ran out the classroom to get away.


Classes passed in a blur that day and the rest of the week. On Friday he had double Potions with the Slytherins, his favorite class even though only Draco knew that. Once more Harry was the first one waiting by the door.When Snape arrived he paired each Gryffindor with a Slytherin, not surprisingly Harry was with Draco. 

Harry had stayed in Lion's tower all week trying to establish his friendships there and his nightmares had returned viciously. That day in Potions he was very tired as he chopped his ingredients up that Draco had to prevent numerous explosions from happening. And to stop Harry from trying to add in the wrong thing at the wrong time.


"Stop that Harry. What's wrong with you?" Draco whispered out, after the fourth attempt at Harry trying to add a willow root in the potion. They had passed that stage about 10 minutes ago.


"I'm just really tired, sorry Dray m'not being much help. But I really just wanna take a nap," Harry yawned out, unable to keep his eyes open any longer. He sighed before laying his head on the desk.


"Not here Harry, Snape will flay you alive. Wake up Harry," Draco whispered back firmly trying to wake his friend up. He poked him repeatedly in the side but that didn't work, and Snape was coming back around their way.


"Harry wake the hell up PLEASE," Draco frantically whispered to Harry but Snape was already here. Draco blanked his face to the Malfoy mask and continued chopping his roots, ignoring the sleeping boy next to him. Snape frowned and Draco hoped Harry would escape his wrath.


Severus sneered, how dare the child fall asleep in his classroom, hadn't the child been trying to turn over a new leaf? Didn't that dunderhead know how volatile potions can be and here he was lying on the table next to a boiling cauldron. If Draco mess it up whether it be on purpose or accident Harry would be seriously hurt.

Severus took Harry's potions book and slammed it down on the desk effectively waking Harry up and startling everyone in the classroom. He grabbed the boy's shoulder, and startled a bit when the boy flinched at the touch and nearly fell off the stool.


"Mr. Potter, go to my office and wait for me there. The rest of you get back to work," Severus sneered out, his face blank but inwardly he was reeling with the reaction from the child.


As Severus watched Harry go into his office he saw the worry in Draco's eyes and he was sure they had to do with Harry and not himself. Making sure that his classroom was okay he then walked into his office.


Harry for the most part was horrified at falling asleep but for also jumping like he did. Just what he needed another thing for them to talk about him with, not to mention he saw how angry Snape looked. Harry wondered what was going to happen to him, and he was really working himself into a state. Hyperventilating with tears in his eyes was how Snape found him.The only good thing about that panic attack was that Snape's annoyed look was quickly replaced with a concern one. 

Severus sighed, of course he had a panic attack, and he wouldn't be surprised if he had triggered a flashback too. He shouldn't have grabbed him like that, but he had been caught in the moment. The Potion's Master sighed before went to his cabinet and pulled out a calming draught and was about to hand it to the child until he noticed how badly the boy's hands were shaking. He held the vial to the child's lips and poured it down his throat and waited for it to kick in.


"Harry, this is the 2nd time I've seen you have a panic attack. How often do you get them?" Severus asked him, when he was sure the potion had taken effect.


"About 1-2 times a week usually, but I've been having them at least once a day now," Harry replied quietly.


"Have you spoken to anyone about them, maybe to figure out the cause of them?" The Professor asked seriously.


"No sir," he sighed out. He didn't think he would ever get used to this new Snape.


"Alright we'll figure it out together. But right now I would like to know why you were falling asleep in my class?" Severus asked, unable to keep a frown from his face at the whole thing that started this all.


"I'm sorry sir. I didn't mean too if that helps," Harry said his face flushing in his embarrassment.


"Just a bit, but you didn't answer my question Harry," Severus pointed out quietly.
"I was tired; I haven't slept well at all this week," Harry sighed out.


"Why not? What's keeping you awake? Are you having visions or nightmares?" Severus wanted to know.


Harry thought about his answer quickly, if he wanted to stay with Snape again he should say visions. That way he would get to have ‘Occlumency Lessons' again not that he needed them, he just wanted to be close to Snape. But at the same time he knew he couldn't lie to the man, Snape was a human lie detector everyone knew it.


"Both sir, mostly visions though," was his careful answer. Which really was the truth considering he had 5 visions this past week alone. Only the fact that he occluded kept him from feeling pain, but Snape didn't need to know that.


"Lie down on the couch and try to rest. We will talk about this after class okay?" Severus asked, his heart feeling for the child. No wonder he was exhausted then.


"Yes sir," he replied tiredly as he obediently laid down.


Harry watched as Snape returned to class and stretched out on the couch for a moment before he sat back up. He really was tired but he had to do something first. Knowing it was wrong but at the same time he wanted to sleep that night he went to Snape's still unlocked cabinet. Taking a moment to read the labels on the vials, he grabbed 2 concentrated vials of dreamless sleep potion.

He was grateful that Snape had forgotten to put his spells back on it, and then guilty frowned at that thought. He was technically stealing from his Professor. Promising himself he would pay him back he put the vials in his robe pocket. Spelling a silencing charm around the sofa after a moment, that way if he screamed out no one would hear him.


When class ended Severus dismissed the stragglers that seemed to be waiting for Potter, he still needed to chat with the boy. When he walked into his office that was soon pushed out of his mind as he found Harry's limbs thrashing everywhere with his mouth open in a silent scream. He frowned as he couldn't hear a thing from the boy it was unnatural and he knew the cause immediately.


"Finite Incantem," Severus muttered and soon winced as Harry's ear-piercing shriek cut through the air.


The scream was so full of agony, that it gave Severus the chills. What kind of dream was he having that he produced a sound like that? He shook his head, perhaps the child really did need more Occlumency lessons again. He knew only a vision from the Dark lord could bring forth a scream like that, having seen it firsthand he had seen it firsthand. He went over to Harry and called his name to wake up, and was relieved when Harry awoke with a start.


Harry glanced around, seeing he was in Snape's office he relaxed until he saw that Snape was looking at him strangely. Not knowing what was wrong Harry furrowed his brow trying to remember before he found himself clearing his throat. His teacher's look was starting to unsettle him.


"Is something wrong sir?" He asked politely.


"Harry, did you put up a silencing charm?" Severus asked wearily.


Of all the questions Harry thought Snape was going to ask him that wasn't one of them. What did it matter if he did or not? If he hadn't chances are he would have screamed loudly and disrupted the man's class.


"Yes sir, I did," he said slowly.


"Why did you do that?" Severus questioned.


"I think that's pretty obvious sir. I tend to yell out when I'm sleeping, and I didn't want to disturb your class. Not to mention give anyone a heart attack with my scream. I'm told it can chill you to your bones," he said as he ran a hand through his already messy hair.


"I can agree with that assessment, I heard the scream. However there is nothing to be ashamed of," Severus said as he saw Harry's head drop in embarrassment. "Was it a nightmare or vision?"


"Just a memory, I guess," Harry sighed.


"That must have been a heck of a memory to cause you to react like that. What was it about?" Severus asked curiously. He wanted to know just what kind of memory could provoke terrors like that.


"It's not important sir," Harry replied hastily wanting the man to drop the subject. He didn't want to discuss this.


"It may not be but I'd still like to know about it anyways. Otherwise I wouldn't have asked," Severus pointed out.


"It's nothing sir," Harry said more firmly. Couldn't the bloody man take a hint?


"Don't lie to me in such a fashion Potter. How am I supposed to help you if you won't even tell me what the problem is?" Severus said as his irritation started to show. He wasn't known for his patience on a good day and at the moment it was waning.


"Of course it's back to Potter. And for the record I never asked you to help me ,you chose to yourself, or Dumbledore made you. Everyone has their own secrets, and that one is mine and I don't want to tell you okay? Harry replied clearly annoyed at this point.


"That's not good enough for me. I'm your Professor and that's what teacher's are here for, to assist their students anyway they can. That is a suitable answer however; I just don't tolerate blatant lies like that. Don't brush it off as something unimportant when it in fact is not," Severus told him sternly.


"Yes sir, may I go now?" Harry asked wanting to escape this conversation.


"You may, I'll send you an owl with the date and time for your ‘remedial potions' lesson," Severus said waving his arm out as he dismissed the child.


"Bye Professor and thanks," Harry said as he walked out the door and intent on skipping his last class.


Harry entered the Slytherin dorms and tiredly trudged up to the 6th year dorms. When he opened the door he was unsurprised to see a 6th bed squeezed between Draco's and Theo's bed. He took off his robe and transfigured his uniform in pajamas before closing his curtains and taking the dreamless sleep he nicked. Feeling guilty but please at the same time he downed the potion and was asleep before his head hit the pillow. Harry slept through dinner, no worries going through his head for once.

 

Draco, Theo, Daphne, and Blaize walked back to their common room wondering where Harry was. They hadn't seen him since he disappeared into Snape's office in Potions. As they walked up the stairs to their dorm, they see that the empty bed that randomly appeared last week was occupied. Draco cautiously peeled back the curtains unsure of who was there, only to find a sleeping Harry.

They were all confused but confident that Harry would explain it to them tomorrow when he woke up. By silent communication they agreed to head to bed early so not to disturb him. Daphne went to her dorm and one by one the boys fell asleep unaware they were visited by their Head of House wondering why his 6th year boys had fallen asleep at 8:30pm.


Severus shook his head as he walked through the Slytherin Common Room. At the moment Harry was missing and all his 6th year boys had fallen asleep at the same time. He wanted to make sure they weren't ill, and then he could go and search for Harry with the rest of his Coworkers. Severus entered the dorm, confusion being his dominate emotion, since when did he have six 6th year Slytherin boys? Draco, Nott, Crabbe, Goyle, and Zabini; who was the 6th child?


He pulled the curtains open to reveal a sleeping Harry Potter who had a peaceful expression his face, as he laid sleeping in the bed. Well he had found Harry. All he needed to do was go and inform Albus. But why was the child in the Slytherin dorms, and first off how did he get in? Not wanting to wake any of his students least they wake up Harry, he spelled the whole room and then each individual boy to inform him when someone woke up. The last thing he needed was Harry to be cursed in his sleep. When he got down to the common room he addressed his students.


"Do any of you know why a Gryffindor is asleep upstairs? Can someone please explain to me why and how Harry Potter got into the Common room?" Severus asked neutrally as his dark eyes pierced each and every student there.


Severus watched their faces; none of them seemed to be surprised to know that Harry was here, they only looked warily at him. What was going on? Severus was starting to get annoyed and it showed on his face, he wanted answers and damn it he would get them. Just as he was about to say something, he saw Pansy Parkinson insert herself and her wand between the stairs to the 6th year boy dorms; what was she doing?


"You dare raise your wand to me Miss Parkinson, What is the meaning of this?" Severus asked sternly, his eyes glinting as he stared at her.


"What does it matter that Har....err Potter is up there, what are you planning on doing to him?" She asked bravely.


Before Severus could answer she was joined by Daphne Greengrass who had heard the commotion. As he moved to question her he frowned as soon found himself surrounded by his 7th and 5th years, the rest of his 6th year girls were behind him with their wands drawn.


Severus was floored at the loyalty he saw them displaying Of course he had no intention of hurting Harry but they didn't know that. All they knew was he was a friend of their parents and therefore a fellow death eater.


"Nothing, I was just curious to why he was in here. Usually lions don't venture this far south," he replied calmly. They were Slytherins and he knew any sudden moves he was getting cursed. He wasn't afraid but he didn't want any of his student's hurt.


"Of course Professor,and you're not going to hurt Harry are you?" Asked a timid 2nd year who was stationed in front of Draco's room with his year mates.


"I would never harm a student, even one as annoying as this one," he replied honestly.


"Prove it, Pansy replied, her chin jutted out defiantly. She wasn't 12 years old anymore, words without an oath meant nothing.


"How would I go about doing that?" Severus asked slowly.


"Swear an oath, if you won't do that, then I'm sorry Professor we're going to have to obliviate you to keep Har...err Potter safe," Daphne answered.


"That's the second time I've heard one of you slip up and nearly call him by his given name; and Mr. Jameson has already done that. Will someone please inform me what the hell is going on?" Severus said raising his voice slightly as he became aware they were still evading his questions.


"Swear it and we will," Pansy calmly replied.


"What is it you wish for me to say," Severus sighed as the thought of children and their oaths he thought ran through his mind. Look at what the war had done to them, afraid to trust.


"I Severus Snape do swear on my magic not to hurt or use any information that I gain tonight to hurt or harm one Harry Potter in any way. Any information that I learn about Harry Potter I am forbidden to share, discuss or tell anyone who doesn't already know. If I betray him I will accept all consequences including where I do hereby swear to give up all my magic and is destined to live out the remainder of my life as a muggle if I somehow live, so mote it be," Pansy said carefully.


"That's a mouthful and very thorough who came up with it might I ask?" Severus asked curiously very much impressed by the wording.


"Draco and Blaise. Professor, are you going to swear it?" Daphne asked tiredly.
Severus could tell that the children were getting uneasy and not wanting to get cursed he swore it. He noticed them breathe a sigh of relief and one by one, released their defensive positions.


"Now will someone please explain what is going on?" He repeated once more.


"Simple Professor, Harry Potter is a snake. He's been an honorary one since his 2nd year, and just last week, we don't know how but the castle shifted and made it official," Daphne replied.


"Most of you have death eater parents, how do you prevent them from finding out?" Severus asked, going straight to the point.


"We are all pretty careful, and if we did we would we would lose our magic not to mention we could possibly die, which is a great incentive not to tell," Pansy said as she gave a dark chuckle.


"The oath never said anything about death..." Severus said warily.


"A Slytherin maneuver, that was an unbreakable vow you took as did we. A mere oath wouldn't work, there are loopholes you know that Professor," Pansy answered as if he should have seen that.


"I do, he said, can you answer a question for me?" Severus asked with a shake of his head.


"If I can," Pansy replied back cautiously wondering what the hell the man wanted to know.


"What is my godson Draco Malfoy to Harry Potter?" Severus asked, afraid for a moment at what the answer might be.


"His brother and best friend," Daphne replied with a smirk before she grinned.


"What is it that you find amusing in that answer?" Severus asked wearily.


"Draco has his sights set on someone else. Harry is the wrong gender," Daphne replied with a snicker.


"Not to mention Harry is crushing on our own Slytherin Ice Queen," Pansy said smiling smugly when Daphne sputtered.


Severus gave the girl a look, well he learned something new everyday. Well at least now he knew that the Slytherin boys wouldn't hurt the Gryffindor. Well he still needed to see if they were the under the vow too. He wouldn't be careless with Harry's life. He nodded before he made his exit from the common room, he had to inform Albus that Harry was safe and he needed to think on this new development. What did all of this mean? Did that mean now, he could spare most of his Slytherins from a horrible fate. He sure hoped so.