Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Hope you enjoy it...I'm not a fan of Hermione..but I love Ron and Draco..so yeah enjoy!
Chapter 7: That's what Friend's are For

The boys quieted when the door opened and Madame Pompfrey bustled in clicking her tongue at Harry, and Severus noticed how unsurprised she looked to see Draco next to him.

"What happened this time Harry?" Poppy asked quietly as she pulled out her wand.

"I...I guess I cut too deep Poppy," Harry replied shamefully at having to admit that.

"Harry that's not healthy at all dear; I'm going to assume you hid these from us because I didn't see them when I healed you the first time. Why did you hide them?" She asked softly, a wave of hurt coursing through her as she realized how much he was truly suffering.

"Because I knew how your reactions would be and I didn't want you to be ashamed of them," Harry sighed quietly as he turned his gaze to his bed covers.

"Oh Harry," she breathed out sadly.

"I'm sorry...I just..." Harry trailed off because in all honesty he didn't know what to say.

"No Harry, don't apologize it's alright. But I can't heal them because you don't want them healed. They will stay until you don't need them anymore. Whenever you feel the urge day or night I want you to come to me or Severus and if we aren't available seek out your friends they will help you," she told him as she rubbed some Dittany on his arms, while they would take the sting out she was right it wouldn't heal them.

As Poppy and Severus talked off on the side, Harry and Draco realized that Snape would have already noticed how friendly they were being. Harry knowing where Snape's loyalties lie wasn't that concern, but Draco was. Even if Snape was his Godfather he was a death eater first and he could tell his father at anytime. Harry looked at Draco's worrying face, he knew what was going through his mind, he only hoped Draco would understand what he was about to do.

"Malfoy what the hell are you looking at?" Harry had to force the anger out, although it did help to think of the Dursleys. Draco's face showed a split second of shock before he caught Harry's knowing look.

"Not you Potter, I came here looking for My Head of House since these are his quarters. What the hell are you doing here anyway?" Draco sneered out, wondering if this was all too late. His godfather wasn't dense, hopefully the man hadn't paid as close attention to them due to Harry's injuries.

Harry noticed Poppy about to say something but he subtly glanced at Snape who was looking at Draco curiously; Harry hoped that she got the message.

"What did you need me for Draco?" Snape asked confusion coursing through his body.

Severus was looking between the boys confusion the prominent emotion on his face. What the heck was going on here? Hadn't the boys just had a civil conversation with each other not 10 minutes ago; what changed? Or had he just imagined that? He shook his head trying to clear his head before facing his godson who was still talking to him.

"You're needed in the Common Room sir, um...something is wrong with Theo, he keeps staring at the wall and shaking his hands out like he wants to cut," Draco swiftly lied.

"Do you know what happened to him?" Severus asked seriously, this is how he knew how to deal with Harry. Self harm was very common with his snakes, they learned it early on and it was his job to un-teach them.

"No sir, all I know is he got a letter from home," Draco replied, he was lying on the spot though. He needed a reason for coming down here, and visiting Harry wasn't going to help him if Snape told his father.

"Merlin he wouldn't would he?" Severus said speaking mostly to himself as he thought about this new situation. He was torn between what to do. The child in front of him had just been revealed that he was a self-harmer and one of his snakes who had been battling with it for 4 years could be on the verge of a relapse. What was he to do? The last thing he wanted was to give Harry the impression that Theo was more important then him.

While Snape pondered what to do, Draco gave Harry a significant look for Harry to distract Snape so he could go and tell Theo the lie he just spouted so they could be ready. Madame Pompfrey had already left at this point, telling Harry she would be back later. Harry sighed and took that time to reach for the pitcher of water on his nightstand. He knew it was too far and if he reached for it he would probably fall and bang his ribs. It was the perfect distraction, and Harry quickly lunged for it and of coursed fell.

Though he had thought the plan through as quick as it had been, he had underestimated how much it would hurt. He saw black spots coming into his vision, and Draco's horrified look until Harry urged him to leave while Snape helped him up. His ribs were on fire, and he wasn't able to stop the hisses and pain as he breathed in and out; Merlin it hurt. Pride be damned he wanted a pain potion, if only he could get the words out.

"Snape," Harry breathed harshly, feeling ready to pass out again.

"Yes Harry, you foolish child you should have asked me to hand it to you if you wanted a drink. Or even Draco could have.....Where is Draco?" Snape asked as he turned around to find the blonde Slytherin gone.

Noticing Snape getting off subject Harry moaned and it wasn't even faked, he really was hurt. The things he did for his friend, Draco owed him. And he would definitly be holding the boy to it.

"Do you want a pain reliever potion Harry?" Snape asked hoping the child said yes.

"If you don't mind, if you do then never mind," Harry replied quickly as he breathed through the pain.

"Silly boy, if I minded I wouldn't have asked," the man replied as he summoned it.

"Oh okay," Harry mumbled out, unsure of how to reply to that.

Harry gratefully swallowed his potion and sighed in relief. Snape's face was still pinched in concern. And hoping it wasn't for him Harry told Snape with a yawn that he was going to sleep.

After spelling Harry's room much to his displeasure, Severus took off to the Slytherin Common room, not knowing what he would find.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

It was a few hours later when Harry awoke once more to find Snape coming into his room asking him if he felt well enough to go down to the great Hall for dinner. In all honesty Harry wanted to know what the heck happened when Snape got to the Common Room but he knew he couldn't very well ask the man that. Why would he be concerned about the snakes? And it might bring back suspicious Snape, and he so didn't need that spy for the.

"I'll go to the Great Hall," Harry replied as he got out of bed and pulled on his shoes. He wouldn't be going though, he remembered that he was supposed to be having dinner with the snakes. Which was fine as they all needed to talk.

Harry left Snape's quarters before he did and went straight for the kitchen where Dobby had prepared a basket with dinner for them. Harry took the passage way to the Slytherin Common Room where Daphne, Blaise, and Draco were talking quietly.

"Where's Theo? Harry asked quietly when he didn't see the other Slytherin.

"Went to see Poppy," Daphne answered with a shake of her head.

"Why what happened? Did he actually have to hurt himself? Harry asked horrified, hoping that wasn't the case at all. Or had something else happened?

"Nope he didn't want to do it. Even on purpose, so I did it myself. Only I might have scratched him a little too hard, Daphne replied sheepishly as a flush graced her pale face.

"How was Snape? Harry asked curiously, wanting to know the man's reaction to that.

"He looked disappointed but mostly worried, and I feel guilty since I'm the one who suggested it in the first place," Draco admitted quietly.

"True, you could have gotten another lie, but it had the added effect of getting Snape from giving us weird looks. Anyway Let's go get him, Poppy will be at dinner, and if not she'll still let him go," Harry told him easily.

"Do you think Snape's suspicious? Blaize asked softly, knowing this was a dangerous game they were all.

"He's confused that's for sure," Harry grinned, remembering his teacher's look.

He laughed at the memory and had just passed the basket to Blaize when they turned the corner and saw Ron and Hermione ahead. His inside's froze at his Gryffindor friends, knowing that a confrontational was inevitable now.

"Damn it, I so don't want to deal with them right now," Harry sighed frustrated, he just wanted to relax was that so hard to ask.

"Just get it over with, and then come meet us," Daphne told him quickly knowing this was going to happen so he might as well stop trying to prolong it.

"Fine, I'll meet you in Poppy's special room okay?" He grumbled out as he started distancing himself from his friends.

"Alright and Harry?" Blaize asked casually.

"What? Harry replied turning around to give his a friend a look.

"Forgive me," Blaise said with a grimace as he pulled out his wand.

"Forgive you for...." But Harry never got to finish before he was floating upside down like Snape was in that Pensieve memory he saw back in 5th year. Oh forgive him for this, well this sucked. He had to wonder how the boy knew that particular spell, he didn't think Snape would share that with anyone. He hated how they had to act around everyone else; but time to play his part.

"Let me down you bastard!" He yelled out.

"Sorry Potter, my parents we're married when they conceived me. If anyone's the bastard it's you, you know what they say about mudbloods," Blaize said bitingly, swallowing the bitter bile in his throat. He always hated these jabs, as one day he always felt that Harry would believe them.

Harry's face when red at the boy's comment, yeah he knew it wasnt true but hell one couldn't reason with emotions at all. But he didn't even have a chance to make a retort.

"Aww Potter's all alone without his Gryfindorks," Daphne taunted him.

"Shut up Greengrass you death eater scum, he yelled back." Harry hated this; especially saying it to Daphne. She was the furthest thing from being a death eater, not to mention how he felt about.

"Talk all you want Potty, but just you wait..." Draco had finally joined in the conversation.

Harry was starting to feel a little light headed from all the blood rushing to his head, wondering when would Ron and Hermione notice them.

"Wait for what? Your father is in prison or have you forgotten who put him there? Oh yeah it was me and my friends right? He and his lord got beaten by five 15 year olds!" Harry said gleefully.

Harry quickly mouthed 'I'm sorry' to Draco who didn't look like he felt the least disturbed about the comment. Just when Harry thought he might pass out from all the blood going to his head, his Gryffindor friends came on the scene.

Ron cursed Blaize out of nowhere who had been still holding Harry in the air. From the lost of concentration Harry landed hard on the Stone floor, and he couldn't hold in the ear-piercing scream when his damaged ribs and the stone collided together. His scream caused all of his friends Slytherins and Gryffindors alike to look at him with expressions varying from shock, disbelief, and horror.

McGonagall chose that moment to come around the corner where she stood in shock at the scene before her. Against her protests Harry struggled to get to his feet, he really wished Snape had been the one to find him like this; He didn't want to deal with her. Ignoring his Head of House's disapproving eye and his friend's concerned expressions Harry slowly made his way to the Great Hall.

He knew he couldn't make it to the infirmary alone. He walked in trying not to breathe hard, tears in his eyes he refused to let fall he walked to the nearest table, not even realizing it was the Slytherins until he noticed Pansy looking at him in concern before the expression was blanked. But Harry couldn't bring himself to care. Poppy was sitting at the Head table next to Snape, so Harry decided to walk up there to her. Wincing at every step, by the time he got up there all the teachers were staring at him.

"Madame Pompfrey, sorry for disturbing you. But when are you going back to the infirmary?" Harry asked gasping in pain, and ignoring the concerned eyes of his potion's master that he felt.

"Now, Mr. Potter, let's go." She stood up immediately. Everyone knew that Harry hated the infirmary and would resist every attempt to bring him there. And it frightened her to know that something serious must be wrong for him to come to her all on his own.

Harry walked with Poppy ignoring the stares; after all by now he was used to them. He leaned on her heavily as they made their way to the hospital. When they arrived Theo who was eating dinner stopped after noticing the look on Harry's face.

"What's going on? Theo asked in concern his eyes following Harry's.

"Bruised my already bruised ribs, think I might've re-broken a few, Harry replied casually.

"Yes Mr. Potter you are indeed correct, you have re-broken 3 ribs, fractured another and your wrist we working on has been injured as well. How on earth did this happen?" Poppy asked, appalled at the boy. What had he been doing from Severus's quarters to the Great Hall?

Not wanting to get anyone in trouble Harry said nothing as he took his potions, ignoring Poppy all together. He sighed happily when the pain potion took effect and reached for the sandwich on the tray by the bed. He hadn't known how she had known he hadn't yet eaten. But he could see now that his picnic with his friends was not going to happen today.

"I should get back to Snape, can I leave now?" He asked quickly, hoping she would drop the subject.

"I'm still waiting to know what caused this Harry Potter," Poppy said her gaze told him she wasn't fooled at his attempts to get her to forget.

"Of course Poppy but can I tell you later?" Harry pleaded out with a sigh.

"Alright, I suppose you can. If you can tell Severus I have already given you a pain reliever and don't forget to tell him when you need another one. Why don't you take the floo over the walk might do more harm than good?" She told him, not wanting anymore incidents to come up. He wasn't even partially healed and she didn't want him to do anymore damage.

Harry tensed there was no way in heck that he was going to take the floo, he hated traveling that way regardless of how quick it was.

"No that's okay, I need the exercise," Harry replied before he quickly sped walked out of the infirmary before she could ask more questions. He munched on his impromptu dinner hoping his friend's weren't blaming themselves.

By the time Harry got to Snape's quarters, Snape was pacing in the sitting room. But when he saw Harry he ran to him wand already casting a diagnostic scan.

"You've re-broken a few ribs, how did this come about? I've spoken with Minerva and she told me that Weasley and Granger saw my Slytherins hurting you; is that true?" Severus asked him quietly.

"Well Ron Pushed Bla....err Zabini and I was dropped from the spell that he had cast," Harry replied carefully.

"What spell was he casting?" Severus asked him seriously.

"The one that I saw in you're... I mean I don't know." Harry blushed as he realized what he almost said. Thankfully Snape didn't comment on it. "May I lie down sir?" Harry asked lest Snape think on what he said.

"You may but Minerva told me Weasley and Granger where you were and they wish to see you," Severus said his scowl showing him just what he thought about that.

"Oh okay, in that case I guess I'll just talk to them out here," Harry replied quickly. He didn't want to even go down that road, knowing how Hermione was.

"What's wrong with your room?" Snape asked confused.

"Nothing I just don't want them in there, not to mention if they know that I'm in front of you they'll refrain from acting like my parents. That really gets on my nerves; especially Hermione basically telling me how to do something, as if I don't have a mind of my own." Harry stated heatedly.

"They are your friends are they not? Why don't you just tell them you don't appreciate it when they treat you like a child?" Severus said as if it was obvious.

"Knowing me I'll offend them, Gryffs can be just as dramatic as Puffs," Harry said with a smirk remembering a few times his statement had rang true.

Before the man could reply to that, there was a knock and then the portrait announced that 2 people were at the door. Severus headed into the kitchen to keep an ear out in case the boy needed him.

Harry noticed Ron and Hermione looking around, but he couldn't fault them knowing he had the same reactions when he had first entered his teacher's quarters. He frowned at the look on Hermione's face, groaning inwardly as he recognized it and hated it.

"Hey Harry," Ron said as he took a seat on the chair across from his friend and really looked at him.

"Hey Ron," Harry replied back noticing the pensive look that Ron was giving him but before he could even ask why Hermione started in.

Why do they have you staying with Professor Snape?" Hermione demanded.

"He's teaching me ‘Remedial Potions' since my visions have returned," Harry lied swiftly, his eyes meeting Ron's surprisingly worried blue eyes.

"When will you be able to return?" Ron asked quietly.

"I'm not sure, you remember what happened to Sirius? I usually have them at night and he needs to be close to prevent any possessions," Harry replied truthfully. Well that was the truth in a sense, but not why he was staying with Snape.

"Oh okay, I think I understand mate. Did you know that Dumbledore lifted your Quidditch ban off? Now you can play this year," Ron told him excitedly eager to get off the topic of Voldemort.

If Harry was being honest with himself, he could care less about Quidditch right now. All he missed was flying which he got to do anyways. But he knew he couldn't tell Ron that; not when he was taking the news of Harry staying with Snape so well. Which also had him furrowing his brows in disbelief. Just why was Ron taking this so well?

"Really? No the Headmaster didn't tell me that; then again I haven't had my talk with him yet. We are so going to win the house cup this year Slytherin doesn't have a chance." Harry replied excitedlytrying to get Ron pumped up so the subject could fully change.

Ron was about to reply in his eager tone until Hermione came in once more, with her bossy know-it-all tone. That always irked Harry to no end.

"Harry how are you doing, I mean really doing?" She asked bossily.

Harry smiled as he answered, hoping to sustain her if he was being honest. "I'm fine Mione." He could tell that she was annoyed to see that he really did seem alright, she couldn't find any fault in him at all. So she tried again.

"But how are you coping Harry, I mean after losing Sirius you've got to be feeling a bit guilt at least. You've got to talk it out with somebody Harry," she told him smartly;.

Harry's eyes narrowed as his magic suddenly pulsed throughout the room, how dare she. Once again she had stuck her foot in her mouth. He was glad that the thought of Sirius no longer made him feel like he was getting stabbed in the heart over and over again. And the guilt she was talking about was not existent since it wasn't his fault Sirius had died. Not sure what happened to his grief as he thought that over he didn't dwell on it. Maybe he was finally starting to heal.

"Hermione!" Ron admonished; appalled at what she had just said, had she no tact. Not to mention where the hell had that come from?

"Well its true Ron," she defended her self. "I've read about the stages of grief, he's obviously in the denial stage. Harry must talk about it to get over it. Besides he's probably lying about he's really feeling anyway Ron. I'm telling you Harry I know what I'm talking about you don't. Harry, Sirius would not...." But she was interrupted by both Harry and Ron this time.

Harry had enough, where the hell was Snape? Oh well he could handle this himself, he didn't need anyone. Reining his magic to where it only covered Hermione, he knew this would frighten her but right now she needed to be scared. How dare she say those accusations about him? She stared at him fear and shock the prominent emotions on her face. Ron said nothing, although Harry had to admit that e did look like he was trying to control his own magic from lashing out. He gave his friend a grin before subtly shaking his head knowing the red-head knew what he meant.

"For the record Hermione, everyone deals with grief differently. And don't you EVER come in here talking to me like that, as if I'm fragile, or like a child that needs to have his hand held. I'm telling you right now you won't like what I'm going to do. You will get to see firsthand why the darkest wizard of all time fears me. You feel my magic don't you? She nodded; good it's angry with you right now as is Ron's." (For Ron's magic had finally joined in and enclosed her in as well) His face was as red as his hair and he stood there glaring at her with his fists clenched.

"How dare you Mione, Harry looks happier than I've ever seen him around this time of year and you're sitting there trying to dissect him? What the bloody hell is your problem?" Ron asked angrily.

Harry quirked an eyebrow at that; since when was Ron this mature? Could the attack with the brains at the ministry have something to do with it? Did he want to know? Not really but he was proud of his friend.

At that moment Severus finally walked back into the sitting room, noticing and freezing in the same moment at the displays of magic. If he hadn't heard what Granger has said, he would've felt sorry for her but he did and he doesn't. The boys seemed to have their magic under control as they had them wrapped around Granger's body. All in, it was almost certainly a traumatic experience for her, but Severus couldn't do anything for her. If he barged in they could lose control and she would definitely get hurt. When the tears in Granger's eyes started to fall the boy's brought their magic back in, ignoring Granger completely.

"We still got it Harry," Ron said as he high fived Harry about their self control. He grinned having missed doing that with his friend, it had been too long.

"I know mate, man I miss doing that. Remember when we did it in 3rd year and that 6th year Ravenclaw wet his pants?" Harry said laughing at the image.

"Yeah I do, he deserved it though; you don't pick on a 1st year even if they are in Slytherin," Ron replied honestly.

Severus shook his head, did he really know any of the kids, since when did Weasley defend a snake? Clearly he underestimated the children in front of him. If he would've done that at a meeting it would have cost him his life.

Harry smiled to himself he could see the confusion all over Snape's eyes, serves him right, not every Gryffindor tolerates bullying. He was glad that Ron had proved him wrong and angry that Hermione hadn't. He didn't was to deal with her and thankfully Snape spoke up.

"Miss Granger, please exit my quarters. And before you come back I would go over exactly what you said to Harry and what he felt when you said it. I hope that you understand that books aren't always right." Severus snarled at her.

They watched as she walked out tears still falling down her face, with her head down but no one said a thing to call her back. When she had the closed the door behind her Harry finally sighed in relief.

"Thanks Professor!" He called out before disappearing into his room.

Severus shook his head at Harry's silly antics but he wasn't going to deny the child his little fun. He looked at Weasley who looked torn between wanting to go with Harry but not sure he could.

"Ron where are you? Get in here!" Harry yelled out when it became apparent that his friend hadn't followed him.

"Is it okay sir that I go back there?" Ron asked quietly, after all this wasnt his house and regardless of what Harry said, this was Snape they were talking about.

Severus had to wonder since when was Weasley polite, especially to him?

"It's Harry's room; as long as you don't treat him like Granger did you'll be fine." He told the child. Severus grinned as he saw Harry come running back in and grabbed Ron who was gaping in shock at Severus's expression.

"You broke him Professor," Harry exclaimed in amusement as he dragged Ron to his room.

Severus chuckled; if that's all it took to unnerve him, imagine if he actually smiled. Severus went into his lab thinking about how his life had changed in so little time, for the better he was sure of it. He had only just pulled out a cauldron when the familiar burning feeling went through his left arm. He put on his cloak and held his mask in his hand and ran out to the Hogwarts boundary line, and apparated to the Dark Lord's side. Occluding his mind, not focusing on anything but the meeting he was attending just in case the Dark Lord, tried to read his mind, he got into his role as a Death Eater.