General Disclaimer: J.K. Rowling owns these characters and the universe in which they live. I am not J.K. Rowling, nor do I indulge in delusional fantasies in which I think I am J.K. Rowling. I am simply an enthusiastic fan playing in her world.
This is my first fanfiction, so any advice is welcome.
As of January 2021, I have begun posting a rewrite of this fic on Archive of Our Own under the username clairdeloon. The rewrite now has a lot of new content and characters as the story continues into Harry's first year.
Check it out here: https://archiveofourown.org/works/28613241/chapters/70129140
1. Streetlamps by Abie [Reviews - 11] (1520 words)
A prologue of sorts
2. Good Instincts? by Abie [Reviews - 25] (3003 words)
Snape in this chapter, all sunshine and rainbows.
3. Too Good to be True by Abie [Reviews - 28] (5302 words)
Thank you all so incredibly much for your reviews! I literally grinned like an idiot when I read them all. Twice. Three times (Don't laugh at me, I'm new at this).
I hope this chapter lives up to your expectations.
4. Shattered Glass by Abie [Reviews - 23] (2374 words)
5. Just a Child by Abie [Reviews - 19] (3206 words)
Now that wasn't so bad, was it? Thanks so much for all your reviews, they make me update faster. Hope this is worth the cliffie from last chapter.
6. Part of the Plot by Abie [Reviews - 16] (3954 words)
Hey people! Again, I thank you all profusely for your wonderful reviews. Enjoy.
7. The Safe Place by Abie [Reviews - 16] (3342 words)
I'm absolutely floored. One hundred and fourteen reviews (and counting) for just six chapters? You guys are incredible! Enjoy the update, I think you'll like it.
8. In the Dark Room by Abie [Reviews - 33] (3482 words)
Warning: This chapter contains implied sexual abuse
9. Chess Master by Abie [Reviews - 26] (3464 words)
30 reviews last chapter! I'm in shock. You guys are the best. I had no choice but to update as quickly as possible after that.
Many thanks to my beta, Lili, for all her help with this chapter :)
10. Storm of Fire by Abie [Reviews - 29] (3562 words)
Hey guys! Your reviews last chapter made me so happy :). Thanks for the story suggestions too; I certainly haven't been bored. Warning: this chapter contains vague suicide themes toward the end. I apologize for not having put up a warning before now, but I didn't really know that my story was going in the direction that it did. The authors amongst you will likely understand how your own characters can surprise you.
Thanks a million to Lili for betaing. This chapter would not be what it is without her help.
11. A Way Out by Abie [Reviews - 23] (3856 words)
I'm really sorry for the wait, guys. I do have some good excuses, but I'm not going to bore you with them. Simply rest assured that the coming chapters will be posted in much quicker succession.
As you may have predicted, this chapter contains suicide themes. You have been warned.
Thanks so much to all of you who have read and reviewed.
A big thanks to Lili for betaing.
12. How to Save a Life by Abie [Reviews - 26] (2458 words)
So... how many of you went into withdrawal when the site was down? I know I did. I would have updated earlier, but, in case you didn't know, submissions were blocked until today. So now you can finally get off that evil cliff hanger.
Enjoy the chapter! Fyi, I borrowed the title from The Fray (the same way I borrowed everything else from J.K.) The chapter is shorter than usual, but I think its intensity makes up for the length.
13. Just For Now by Abie [Reviews - 20] (2890 words)
Hey guys! Thanks for your amazing reviews last chapter. I really appreciate your support. Happy reading.
14. Flight or Fall by Abie [Reviews - 13] (3865 words)
Hey guys! I'd like to thank my new beta, ilreies, for beta'ing. On with the chapter.
15. Still Living by Abie [Reviews - 19] (3280 words)
Hey, wonderful readers. Thanks so much to all of you who voted for my story. I can't believe I won featured status! Thank you for your support. Enjoy :)
16. A Detour by Abie [Reviews - 20] (3384 words)
Hey there, wonderful readers. I just started my semester, so updates may take somewhat longer, but I'll do my best. Enjoy!
17. Simple Joys by Abie [Reviews - 24] (3410 words)
Hey guys, sorry about the wait. School, work... irritating things like that tend to get in the way. Enjoy.
A big thanks to my beta, Ilreies for putting up with my unfortunate amount of errors
18. Realizations by Abie [Reviews - 16] (3224 words)
Hey! Long time no speak. I'm so, so sorry for the wait. I've been incredibly busy this past month, and there has been no indication as of yet that my workload will lessen. Hopefully I'll be able to post the next chapter more quickly.
Thanks a million to my beta, you're awesome :)
19. Cracks in the Foundation by Abie [Reviews - 18] (4032 words)
Hey, wonderful readers. Again, I'm really sorry about the wait. This chapter hasn't been beta'd, so I hope it's alright. Enjoy.
20. What Remained by Abie [Reviews - 17] (3853 words)
Hey there! I got this chapter out a bit more quickly, yay me (oh, I remember the time I used to have a chapter out every week...)
Thanks a million to my beta for all her help and advice.
21. No Matter What by Abie [Reviews - 15] (3279 words)
Hey! I hope you're all enjoying the holidays. Happy reading.
22. Always There by Abie [Reviews - 61] (3259 words)
So, it's been a while, hasn't it. My list of reasons and excuses will probably turn out longer that the actual chapter, so I won't mention them. Just enjoy this long overdue chapter.
is the author of 2 other stories. This story is part of the series, To Trust
. The next story in the series is To Trust One-Shots
This story is a favorite of 211 members. Members who liked To Trust
also liked 1795 other stories