Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
I have decided to veer off course from my plans with this story, and made a time-jump from the last chapter to this one. There will be flash-backs in this chapter, so important events in the time passed will still be told. I felt it was going a bit too slow, and couldn’t get a good chapter out with keeping to my original plans of this story.
Several Weeks Later, and Memories to be Returned.

After the eventful evening of Remus changing into a werewolf, two weeks had passed. Harry was now able to move his arms, which meant he could also feed himself. Of course, he had only reached this level of mobility just two days ago, so sometimes with meal times, well... see for yourself.

“Remus? Can you give me another sandwich? Yes, one with tomatoes and cucumbers on it. Thanks.”

Remus passed another sandwich to Harry. It seemed that he also regained a good appetite now that his arms were working more or less alright. Although... Remus winced when Harry dropped the sandwich on his lap. His arms had spasmed for a bit, which resulted in the third dropped sandwich this morning. And Remus didn’t even want to remember the dinner from last night.

Thankfully Severus just used some magic and cleaned both Harry’s clothes as well as the sandwich so Harry could still eat it. Deciding that it would be quicker if he helped, Severus cut the sandwich in smaller pieces and fed them to Harry. He hardly thought about it anymore, although he had felt extremely self-conscious the first few times he had had to feed Harry.

Harry was just munching happily away on his food. It seemed that the memory loss made him behave more like a really naive ten year old, than the teenager with the troubled past he actually was.

Unfortunately he might just be that troubled teenager again soon, since the Potion Memorie stood bubbling away in Severus’ room. Harry had been right saying he could help making the potion. He had read all the ingredients out loud, and so far the potion seemed to be doing wonderfully.

Remus wasn’t the only one worrying about the potion though. Both Severus and Harry seemed a bit scared of it.

Severus was afraid that Harry would go back to disliking him, that they would have to forget about being friendly with each other. He thought Harry might hate him for having actually wanted Severus’ attention, his comforting words and touches, or making jokes with him. In fact, Severus was very scared he would lose the friendship he was having with Harry.

Harry didn’t really know if he wanted to have his memories back. Something told him they wouldn’t be too pleasant. He had also noticed the way the two men behaved when the potion came up. He was afraid of this. He didn’t know why they got all tense and irritable when they thought of the potion, and was starting to think he had perhaps done something terribly wrong to these two men. Something so terrible they wouldn’t even tell him. Perhaps they were only nice now to be able to push him down later. But a small voice inside his head told him that that wasn’t true. Acting concerned was too difficult if you didn’t at least mean one bit of it.

Harry did see an advantage though. He would certainly remember his friends. He had met them already. Wincing slightly he thought back to that day, nearly two weeks ago.

Flashback

It had been the day after Remus’ transformation, when Remus remembered the letter he had gotten. Opening it, his eyes widened slightly, before reading the whole letter.

Sitting with him on the couch, Severus and Harry had both been curious as to who had written the letter.

After reading it Remus beckoned Severus over to a corner and they started discussing something. Harry really wished he could move right now, because he wanted to know too.

Finally the two men turned towards him.

“Harry, this letter I got is actually written by your two best friends, Ron and Hermione.” Remus paused a little, hoping for some kind of reaction. He was rather disappionted at the reaction he got though.

“Friends? Oh, really? What did they say?” Harry was quite enthousiastic, even though it hurt him that he couldn’t remember them.

Severus took over. “They knew you were missing and that we were going to look for you, so they are now asking if we found you and whether or not they can come and visit. It’s just that...well, it might be really hard for them to see you and you don’t even know them.”

Harry scrunched up his face in thought. It made him looked positively cute, although he didn’t know that.

“Perhaps they will trigger some memories in me when I see them...? At the very least you should let them know what is going on, right?”

Severus and Remus nodded, and Remus went up to the Headmaster’s office to discuss it, while Severus stayed with Harry to give him a bath.

After nearly two hours, Remus came back. He looked slightly flustered and cleaned the living room with a wave of his wand. Harry was still delighted to see the magic, and while he was tucked in bed again, because soon he would have to sleep for awhile, he wondered why Remus would suddenly clean up the living room.

Severus obviously thought the same and said so. “Remus, why the sudden need for cleanliness?”

Remus looked around critically and rested his gaze on Severus, who was sitting beside Harry’s bed reading him a story. “Oh, just the fact that Dumbledore let Ron and Hermione come over straight away and they will arrive here in about...” there was knocking on the portrait, “now.”

Severus scowled, but decided to stay near Harry’s side. If his friends found it strange, they would just have to deal with it.

Harry was watching the portrait intently when it opened. Ron and Hermione stepped in carefully, having been told about Harry’s accident, his injuries and most important of all his memory loss.

Still, it unnerved his friends to see Harry lying immobile in bed, with only one green eye left. The other a milky white. It also unnerved them that their Potion’s Professor was sitting calmly next to their friend, with a - did they see correctly? - yes it was indeed a Wizard’s Children story book.

“Oh, Harry, it’s so good to see you again. We’ve been really worried ever since Hedwig flew to Grimmauld Place.”

This sentence alone was confusing for Harry, since he didn’t know who or what Hedwig was, and Grimmauld Place didn’t mean anything either.

Luckily Hermione caught his look and told him: “Hedwig’s your owl, and you stayed in Grimmauld Place last summer and last Christmas. It’s a house in London.”

Ron just eyed Harry with a worried look. “I guess you really don’t remember anything, huh, mate?” he finally said.

Harry nodded. “But Remus, Severus and me are gonna make a potion for it, so I’ll remember you two again.” He had smiled brilliantly at them for this, expecting them to find this just as much fun as he did.

Ron looked distressed. “You’re going to have to make a potion, and you’ll like it? Oh, dear, the world is going to end...” This did indeed earned him a smack from Hermione.

“Oh Ron, sometimes you just... never mind. I think it’s wonderfull you’ll help in making a potion Harry. You’ll learn so much from it, too.” Hermione continued.

Remus inwardly laughed his head off, they should know what Harry was really capable of, although, he didn’t remember it himself right now.

The rest of the visit went by rather fast, with Ron and Hermione telling him of their adventures at Hogwarts, in the hopes of triggering his memories. Although Ron and Hermione had been a bit reluctant to start talking with two adults, one an ex-professor and another who was still their teacher, but after Severus and Remus promised they wouldn’t be punished for those things, seeing as how they were several years ago, they told Harry loads. About the Philosopher’s Stone, the Chamber of Secrets, they did skip the part of Sirius though, after a warning look from Remus, and they cut the version of the Tri-Wizard Cup short, so Harry wouldn’t be reminded of the rising of Voldemort.

When they finally stopped talking, it was because Harry had fallen asleep, and it was several hours later.

Back to present time

Ron and Hermione hadn’t been back to visit, because it would arouse too much attention. Either way, they would return in three days, seeing as how the school year would be starting up again. Tonight Harry was going to take the potion, and he would probably have to use the next few days to get used to all of his memories again.

Remus and Severus had to work out a schedule to watch over him, and still help him with loads of things. Harry wouldn’t return to a normal life at Hogwarts until he could at least use his arms properly. They would be able to magic his wheelchair so he would be able to go to classes then. But he would still be living with both Remus and Severus.

After dinner, instead of doing the usual excersises they did with Harry, the three went to Severus’s potions room and watched as Severus added the last ingredient. Now it only needed to cool for five minutes, before harry could take the first dose. He would need to drink a goblet full every hour until the whole potion was finished, or else he wouldn’t regain all of his memories. This obviously meant that non of them would get much sleep tonight.

In the Potions book it was mentioned that it could be really painfull to gain the memories back in this way, so instead of in his own bed, Harry was placed in Severus’ bed which was closer to the potion, and big enough to hold two sleeping persons (Harry and who-ever wasn’t going to feed him the potion), and next to the bed was a large armchair for the one who’s turn it was to give him the potion.

For now it meant that Harry was lying in the bed, with Remus next to him. Severus put a goblet full of the slightly purple potion, that actually smelled like strawberries. It would remain to be seen if it actually tasted like that as well.

Propping Harry up, Remus held the goblet to Harry’s mouth. They decided not to test the strength of his arms just yet.

Harry quickly drank it down, frowning at the weird taste. There was a bit of strawberry taste, but it had a bad aftertaste. At first Harry didn’t feel a thing, so after he was lying back down, he shrugged a bit. Then, he suddenly grabbed his head, and whimpered. It felt like someone was picking at a wound inside of his head. It was unpleasant, although not too painful, yet.

Remus rubbed his back and held him close, while the first memories started to come back. They brought tears to Harry’s eye. It was actually memories of him being a baby, held by his mother, feeling safe and happy.

After about fifteen minutes the memories stopped coming. With a silly smile Harry looked up at the two men. “I remember my parents. I was just a little baby, and mum was there singing. That was really nice to remember.” He fell into a light sleep. Remus didn’t even know what he could have said about that.

Severus was taking notes; it appeared the potion made the memories come back in a specific order.

The next goblet was taken without problems, although Harry experienced a slightly more intense feeling of something in his brain. The memories that came back now weren’t so pleasant though. Remus and Severus were shocked into silence when Harry suddenly started saying: “No Mummy, wake up! Wake up, Mummy! Mummy! Mummy! Wake up....” he was sobbing then, when he grabbed at his scar and screamed. After that he was knocked out for awhile.

He had just relived seeing his mother murdered, and had felt the pain of the Killing Curse on himself once more.

When he next opened his eyes, they had already lost a bit of his childish innocence. But he still took all the portions of the potions, even though the memories he gained back weren’t becoming better, instead they became worse. Although there were exceptions. Such as when he had become friends with Ron and Hermione, or when he had discovered how he loved to fly. The memories of being friends with Remus and Sirius were soothing his jumbled mind. Of course, with the next dose he watched the rising of Voldemort once again, so that didn’t help. Neither did the death of Sirius help.

But strangely enough, after the last dose had been given and the memories had stopped coming, Harry had collected himself, in a manner which clearly showed Remus and Severus how much of a Slytherin he really was. One of the first things he did was turning his head towards Severus and saying: “Of course we’ll still have a good relationship. At the moment you are still one of my caretakers, one of the most important people in my life, and hopefully a good friend now that I remember everything again. Besides, you always make the best baths ready for me; I can’t rely on Remus for that!”

This made them laugh, even if a bit nervously. Harry turned towards Remus: “And you Remus. I know you see me as your cub. And frankly, I am. Which leads me to the following. I now know the final ingredient for the potion which will cure you of lycanthropy. But first: Let’s just go to sleep.”

With a wave of his hand, the bed enlarged, he had Severus in his pajamas and in the bed before the poor man could do anything else but stare, and was asleep before Remus and Severus had noticed.

Looking at each other over the head of Harry, they thought the same thing: At least they hadn’t lost the Harry of the last month completely. With that reassuring thought, they went to sleep as well.