Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Faithful Hedwig

High up in the sky a white dot could be seen. The white dot was flying rather fast, but seemed to be looking for something.

It appeared to be a snowy white owl. This owl was called Hedwig, and a few days ago she was sent out to look for Harry, her master. She carried a small note, written by Dumbledore, the Headmaster of Hogwarts.

Hedwig was nearly going in full panic mode. She had been looking for Harry, for nearly a week already, and even though she knew she was getting closer, she just couldn’t really say where he was.

Getting exhausted, Hedwig decided to swoop down, find a meal and get some rest. She would look on tomorrow.

But when she swept down, she spotted a small town. And suddenly she knew in what direction she had to look for!

There was a big building in the town. And she had the feeling that her beloved master was around that area. Even though she thought it was strange that she hadn’t picked up his signal before swooping down, she was an owl, so didn’t pay much attention to it.

Finally nearing the big building came the next problem.

There were lots of people around it, and since they were not really used to owls, she had to be careful.

If only there was a window opened or something so she could easily get in, find her Master, let him write a note and he would be safe. Of course, luck wasn’t really with her for these last weeks, so there were no opened windows, and none of the windows she looked into, had her Master behind them. Where could he be? She knew she had the right building, now to find a way in, to let her Master know she was still there for him.

Agitated Hedwig decided to just go hunting, rest in the area and try again tomorrow.

And so, she flew away for a while.

Peter’s POV.

‘There was something white. It flew, he thought, it looked like a bird. Then suddenly, he was flying. The wind swept through his hair, he holds on to some stick. Then he was falling down again. The ground kept coming closer and closer, till he was sure he would fall to death. Just before he reached the ground...’ Peter woke up with a start. This was not a good idea, since he still needed his painkillers.

Breathing hard for a while, he slowly calmed down. Peter didn’t have a clue why he dreamt about flying, and was glad he had woken up on time. He really didn’t want to dream about crashing into the ground.

“Hey Peter, what is it?” Becky was at his bed. Apparently she got a warning, because of his breathing.

Peter gave a weak smile. “Just a weird dream.” He muttered through the oxygen mask.

“Do you want me to stay for a bit?” Becky asked. Since it was in the middle of the night, she could be spared for a few minutes. Besides, Peter did look really pale.

Peter nodded. He always felt calmer when someone was near. At least, when it was people he knew.

So Becky sat herself on his bed and stroked his hair. “I shall just have to tell you the story of what happened to my younger sister, when she was 10 and decided to go climbing up a tree.” She smiled at him.

Peter let the story and voice of Becky wash over him. He relaxed enough to forget his dream and slowly fell asleep.

Later that week.

Hedwig was getting rather tired of this. She had tried and tried to get in. The feeling that her Master was in there was nearly overwhelming some times, and Hedwig decided to try another tactic for today. There was this strange door where people kept walking in and out from. Even though she knew it was risky, she decided to get in, using that door.

So when there weren’t many people around she flew towards the door. Since it was an automatic door (not that Hedwig knew that, mind you), it opened when she came close enough.

A bit startled by her luck, she flew in. This definitely drew the attention of the people inside. Some started screaming, others just gaped. Some nasty ones tried to catch her, but Hedwig out flew them all. She flew down several hallways, scaring people, and at the children’s ward, giving some smiles.

Finally she neared the room her Master was in. By know she had lost a lot of people that followed her, and so she could fly in rather easily. Spotting the bed where her Master lay, she landed on it. He was asleep, so Hedwig decided to nip his fingers. She knew he always woke up because of that.

But when she nipped his fingers, a man came walking in. It was Dr. Willie. He looked startled at the owl sitting near his patient. So when Peter opened his eye, he was rather surprised to see Dr. Willie standing at the door opening with his mouth hanging open and an owl sitting on his bed.

Peter blinked once more. That was strange. He thought he knew the owl, but then dismissed the thought. Who would keep an owl anyway? When the owl hooted, he looked at it again.

The owl nipped his fingers again. It was rather a good thing he didn’t feel much in them, so it

didn’t really hurt. Besides, it wasn’t a mean gesture he thought.

Dr. Willie overcame his surprise and slowly walked towards the bed. “Peter? Do you have any idea why there is an owl sitting at your bed?”

Peter shook his head. He didn’t want to scare the owl by talking. But the owl didn’t seem to be afraid.

Actually, Hedwig was wondering why her Master wasn’t happy to see her. Why wasn’t he patting her on a job well done, and why didn’t she even get an owl drop?

Hedwig hooted again and held out her leg with the note on it.

Dr. Willie looked at it. Apparently the note was meant for Peter, but since he couldn’t use his arms and legs, Dr. Willie decided he should take the note.

The owl seemed a bit reluctant to give the note to him, but after Dr. Willie told it that Peter couldn’t use his arms, the owl seemed to understand and let him take the note.

Unfolding it Dr. Willie eyes grew in surprise when he read it.

It said:

“Dear Harry, or who ever is reading this for him.

Please Harry, let us know if you are alright. We know you didn’t return to Privet Drive after the holiday with your aunt, uncle and nephew. Please let us know where we can find you, so we can bring you back to school. Your friends and Remus miss you a lot.

I have faith in your owl Hedwig she seems to know where to find you.

Good luck,

Professor Dumbledore.”

Gaping, Dr. Willie looked from the note to the owl, to Peter, no Harry.

“What does it say?” Peter asked.

“Ehm, well, it says this is your owl and we should sent a note back.” Then Dr. Willie read him the note. Peter just looked dazed.

“So”, he slowly said, “My name is not Peter, but Harry, and for some strange reason I actually have an owl that’s named Hedwig and a professor that teaches me, sends me notes with her. That just makes perfectly sense.” He added sarcastically.

Dr. Willie nodded. “Well, I’ll write a note, and send this owl off with it, then your friends and this professor could come and visit. They can tell you more about your past. If this isn’t a joke, than it is rather wonderful.”

He walked out rather fast, and wrote a note stating where Harry was and in what condition he was. He also added: “Please visit soon!”

He did have a bit of trouble tying the note to the owl’s leg, but she stayed calm the whole time and when he opened a window down the hallway, she flew south rather quickly.

Chapter End Notes:
To make it a bit more clear here is a short timeline:

In the first week of the summer holidays Harry sends Hedwig to Grimmauld Place.

He is going on a holiday for 3 weeks.

After 2 days, the car crash happens.

After two weeks, he wakes up.

The 3rd week, Hedwig is released.

A few days later she returns, and Remus and Snape go to Privet Drive.

The 4th week Hedwig has found the hospital.

Snape reads something interesting.

The 5th week, Hedwig gets in the hospital and finds Harry/Peter.

I think the holidays last for 6 or 7 weeks, so I’ve got a bit more time, till Hogwarts starts again