Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
This chapter is the longest yet. Harry has a visit with friends and then moves in.
Severus' Quarters

Harry nibbled on his dry toast absentmindedly, pausing to occasionally pick at his scrambled eggs. Madame Pomfrey had lectured him on his eating habits, and he did not need another session with mother hen.

"Harry!"

Startled, Harry looked up to see his friends coming towards him, his face breaking out into a grin. He quickly set his unfinished breakfast on the nightstand beside him, pushing aside a bottle of salve. Suddenly, he remembered his reason for being in the Hospital Wing and became nervous. Before he could work himself up, however, he was smothered in a brown blanket of hair that could only be Hermione's.

"We've missed you! We've been so worried!" Each word was punctuated by an increase in pressure as she hugged him tightly, until he couldn't breathe.

"Hermione...Hermione, can you...I'm alright," Harry gasped out.

She released him and Ron stepped forward uncertainly. As if making a decision, he took another deliberate step forward, and with a confident look, embraced Harry quickly as Harry had seen him do to his brothers on occasion. When he was finished, he took a step back and grinned self-consciously.

"Sorry, mate. We really were worried."

Harry smiled broadly before muttering a genuine, "Thanks Ron."

"Harry," Hermione interrupted. "Are you...okay?" The atmosphere quickly changed from one of reunification to serious and somber.

"I am, Hermione. I broke my ankle and got some scrapes, but Madame Pomfrey's healing them right up." He motioned towards his ankle and body, and then to his breakfast tray. "She's also my honorary calorie counter apparently."

Ron smiled sympathetically and nodded. "I'm glad you're alright."

"Me too," Harry replied earnestly.

Hermione stood silent with a serious expression before continuing. "Harry, I'm more worried about how you are actually doing. In the clearing..."

Harry's heart dropped. They couldn't have been there...

"Hermione," Ron cut in to stop her.

"No Ronald! Harry, in the clearing we saw you..."

Merlin, they did. They know that I'm barmy and that I...I'm so stupid. I am a fr...

__________________________________________________

Severus flood into the infirmary to check on the boy, and was surprised to find that he already had company. Staying near the fireplace, Severus listened as the three remained oblivious to his presence. He was surprised by the Weasley boy's sudden maturity as he hugged his friend, and the side of his mouth quirked up at the mention of Madam Pomfrey. When he heard the girl mention the clearing, however, he took an unconscious step forward, relieved when she was interrupted by Weasley. When she continued determinedly, Severus took another step forward, allowing him to see the boy.

Potter looked very small in his white pajamas, sitting against the headboard of the bed, and a protective instinct took over in Severus. The boy was looking at his hands and appeared to be lost in thought, oblivious to Granger's barrage of questions. The only thing that indicated that he was in distress at all was the way in which he bit his lip.

That has to be painful. The boy will draw blood.

Severus spoke.

________________________________________

A loud voice cut into Harry's self-condemnation.

"Granger. Weasley. I believe class begins in ten minutes. Do run along." Out of nowhere, Snape stepped forward interrupting the inquiry.

"But..." Hermione began.

"Now Ms. Granger, before I begin taking away house points." Snape's expression and commanding voice left no room for argument, and Hermione nodded before quickly telling Harry that she'd see him soon.

Ron trailed behind her, pausing as he looked worriedly from Snape to his best friend.

Noticing his friend's concern, Harry said, "I'll be fine Ron. Trust me. And...thanks." Ron nodded and left the infirmary.

When they were out of sight, Snape walked passed Harry and towards Madame Pomfrey's office.

"Sir?" Harry called after him timidly.

Snape paused. "Yes, Mr. Potter?"

"Thank you." Harry replied.

Severus turned around, his expression blank. "Whatever for?"

Harry hadn't expected that. Maybe a quick ‘You're welcome,' or no response at all perhaps, but not a question. "For stopping...for...for..." Harry stuttered.

For telling my friends to leave? No. For not letting them find out that I...I can't talk about it. For...

"You are quite welcome Mr. Potter."

Harry had become lost in his thoughts again and failed to notice that Snape was now right next to his bed, standing above him. He became nervous and fidgeted with his blanket, biting his lip. Before he knew what was happening, he saw a hand come towards him in his peripheral and ducked clenching his eyes shut. When nothing happened, he slowly raised his head and looked at his professor.

The hand remained still halfway between the two, as if paused midair. Harry blushed. When Harry had relaxed, Severus continued without reacting to his response. He gently grabbed the boy's chin, pulling his lip down from his teeth with a thumb.

"You are not to hurt yourself when in distress." Snape said sternly. Harry blushed further.

"Yes sir."

Snape's expression softened momentarily before he said, "Pack your things and change clothes. We will be heading to my quarters after I am done talking to Madame Pomfrey. If you need help with something, simply ask."

Harry nodded, warmed by Snape's concern and actions. Suddenly he realized..."Sir, shouldn't you be teaching today?"

"Somebody else will be teaching my classes today and next week..." Pausing, Severus continued. "Or for longer if needed."

"Today and...what day is it, sir?" Harry asked, confused.

"It is Friday. You have been in the infirmary since Monday evening."

"Oh." Harry replied, confused. When he realized that Snape had not left, he added, "I thought it had only been a day or two."

Severus nodded and turned to go again before Harry spoke again. "Why are you taking off for so long, sir?"

Turning his head, Severus furrowed his eyebrows and replied matter-of-factly, "To take care of you, silly boy."

Silly boy...Silly boy...What? That wasn't an insult. He didn't call me stupid. That was almost...affectionate. No way. Wait...to take care of me?

"Sir...you don't have to. I mean...it's not your job. It's...I'm okay." Harry smiled weakly.

Severus shook his head, his eyes looking sad for a moment before he turned again.

"Pack your things, Harry," he called over his shoulder.

_______________________________________

Harry followed Severus through the dungeons and to his office. As they stepped inside, Harry noticed the pensive in the corner and stopped walking.

"Sir..." he began, voice laced with regret.

Severus stopped walking and turned around with a concerned expression. When he saw the boy looking at the pensive, he sighed.

"I'm sorry about looking at your memories. I swear it wasn't on purpose. I didn't know that they..." he trailed off, before swallowing.

Sirius.

Severus watched as the boy closed himself off once again. Thinking about the incident, Severus pushed away his anger at the boy, instead focusing on the apologetic way he had regarded him since. Aside from the night he had urged him to save Black, the boy had been meek.

Black.

Severus took a step toward Harry, refraining from going too close. "Potter," he tried. When it was clear he would not get a response, he spoke louder. "Harry."

The boy looked up, startled, his bright, green eyes opened wide.

"Black was not your fault."

The boy gnawed on his bottom lip, before jerkily shaking his head left to right.

"When you shared your concern with me that night, I went to Grimmauld place to speak with him. He would not listen. Knowing you would find a way to get to the Ministry, he disregarded advice to stay behind and impulsively went ahead anyway." Snape paused and took in the boy's wet cheeks and trembling, captured, bottom lip. "Black loved you, Harry. He made a decision to go and fight beside you as you did for him. If the roles were reversed, you would not want him to feel the way that you do, would you?"

Harry shook his head mutely.

Thank Merlin, Severus thought. I finally have his attention.

"Very well. Let us continue." Severus signaled for Harry to take a step forward, so that he was at arm's length. Lifting a hand, Severus slowly reached towards the boy, allowing him to follow his movements carefully. When he had his hand on the boy's chin, he repeated his previous gesture, pulling it down with a thumb.

"Come."

_________________________________________

Harry had never thought about what Snape's quarters would look like. Aside from the occasional rumor and made up horror stories in first year, nobody seemed to have any thoughts on the Potion Master's private life. That being said, Harry certainly hadn't expected this.

The sitting room was cozy and had wooden floors and trim. The walls that weren't covered by bookshelves were white. The lighting was bright enough to read, but dim enough to be cozy. The room contained two brown arm chairs, and a comfortable looking, matching couch. It appeared that Snape had every genre of book, from potions to fiction. Harry liked that.

The kitchen was a dark tan, golden kind of color and contained a separate small dining room with a wooden table and four chairs. There were beautiful paintings throughout the house, some of which Harry was surprised to recognize. The only rooms he hadn't been shown were Severus' own room which allowed him access to an adjoining, private, potions lab. When it came time to see his own room, Harry was surprised to find himself excited and chastised himself.

It's only for a little while. This isn't your house. Stop being a child, Potter.

Snape cleared his throat to get his attention before beckoning him to go through the doorway which led to his room. The room lacked a door, which Harry knew was for safety, and he blushed. However, embarrassment was quickly forgotten when he saw the rest of the room.

The walls were a pale blue color, with wooden trim that matched the wooden floor. His bed was large, compared to that at the Dursley's and his bedding was a simple blue, brown, and white array. On the back, blank wall was a glass window that was large and square. Walking up to it, Harry put a hand on the glass which was smooth and cool.

It looks just like...

"I charmed it to look like the woods that you appear to be fond of. I'll teach you the incantations for the different options of moving images later on." Severus remained in the doorway, allowing the boy to continue looking around. The room also contained a wooden desk and a small bookcase, which held his school books. A drawer set stood against another wall, and beside it, Harry was shocked to discover a poster of his favorite quiddich team.

Upon noticing it, Harry turned to Severus.

"Weasley told me your favorite team." His professor appeared a bit uncomfortable, and Harry warmed.

"Thank you sir. It's wonderful. I've never had...I mean you didn't have to do this. I will be out of your hair in no time and..." Harry's babbling was cut short.

Bloody hell, Severus thought angrily. The boy is at a loss for words over a simple bedroom.

"Stop." Severus said in a stern tone that was neither harsh nor kind. "I created this room for you. It is now your room." Letting his words sink in, Severus stood in the doorway until the boy nodded. "Come." Pointing to another door in the hallway, Snape informed, "This is the bathroom. I have one in my room so it will be used by you alone." Harry nodded again.

"Are you hungry?" Severus asked.

Harry shook his head to the negative. "No sir," he replied softly.

"Very well. I'll get you a nutritive potion and some fruit. You will eat at dinner."

Harry nodded his acquiescence quickly.

"Get settled into your new room. You are welcome to read in the library as well. If you want a snack, there is always food in the fridge. Do not be shy. If you need me I will be finishing up a potion in my lab. Knock on my bedroom door. You are not allowed to enter either room without my permission." Harry nodded in reply, and Severus nodded, before leaving the room.

For the next several hours, Harry packed his clothes and rested on his bed, staring out of his charmed window. Occasionally he would see an animal and insects, and he found himself lost in his woods once again.

_______________________________

Severus looked up at his clock and was surprised to see that several hours had passed. It would be dinner time soon. His thoughts immediately went to the boy.

I wonder how he is settling in. Should I be watching him more? He just tried...Merlin what am I, a doting grandmother? I've place alert spells on him so that I will know if he is in danger. All of my quarters are charmed so that no one is able to harm themselves. It's baby proof. Potter proof. Severus smirked.

After bottling his potion and cleaning up, Severus walked upstairs and placed an order with the kitchen house eleves for dinner. When the food and drinks were present, he went to the boy's room and knocked on the door frame.

The boy's room. James is probably rolling over in his grave.

The boy was laying on his stomach, his chin resting on his crossed arms as he looked out of the window. His belongings appeared to be packed in tidily. When it was clear that the boy hadn't heard his knock, Severus felt the beginnings of worry.

I hope he's not depressed. What if...Oh stop it. He's fine. He's Potter.

Despite his self-assurances, Severus couldn't help the small hint of worry that his voice betrayed. "Harry?"

All worry evaporated when Harry stood up quickly onto his elbows and pushed himself up.

"Professor!" He said excitedly with a big smile. "Look!" Rolling off of the bed, Harry winced as he put weight on his bad ankle.

"Careful." Snape warned.

Harry nodded, still smiling, before frantically waving his arms  for the man to come closer. "Look! Look! Over the hill there by that dead tree."

Severus walked around the bed until he was next to the boy, whose fingers were on the glass pointing out at an animal. Severus squinted as he attempted to identify it.

"It's a doe, sir!" Harry said excitedly. "I've seen them in the woods before. The real woods. They all travel together and they're beautiful, but I always manage to scare them away, no matter how quiet I try to be. And I am good at being quiet!" The boy looked at Severus expectantly.

What does he want from me? Severus thought. The boy is a teenager already, at times wise beyond his years. However, on other occasions, he's almost childlike.

Something clicked in Severus' mind as he remembered things he had experienced and learned by working with his own Snake's. In cases of abuse, many children are forced to grow up prematurely. Once in a safe environment, they are allowed to have fun and be themselves. They act both older and younger. They are also able to begin to sort out the abuse itself, which is painful. This makes sense in Potter's case. He's safe at Hogwarts and he feels safe with me...for some reason. After Black's death, his coping abilities are not enough. Hence the train. He is having to face the pain of the abuse and black's death...along with countless other traumatic experiences at this bloody school. Now that we know the truth...truths...about how he is doing, he has seen that it is safe to be himself. It is okay not to be okay. It is okay to act like an eleven year old in front of an enchanted window.

"Sir?" Harry questioned after his professor had failed to reply. "Do you see it? Do you? Look!" He pointed emphatically.

He certainly looks young enough to be eleven, Severus mused.

"I see it. I too am also fond of these creatures. So majestic and strong, yet graceful."

Harry nodded, still smiling.

Of all the creatures, he picks a doe. It can't be helped. The boy looks good with a smile on his face. His eyes are so like Lily's...Merlin I'm growing soft.

"Your mother's Patronus was a doe." The smile left the boy's face, and Severus wondered if he had said something wrong. However, wonder quickly filled the boy's face instead.

"Really?" Harry asked, wide-eyed. "Mine is a stag."

"Yes...I remember," Severus replied remembering the events of third year.

"What's yours professor?" Startled, Snape looked down at the boy. The Boy Who Lived. The Boy who has faced the Dark Lord more times than should be possible. The boy who had tried to take his own life. The boy whose back attested to brutal child abuse. The boy who was starved. The youngest seeker in a century. The Triwizard Champion. The boy who slayed a basilisk. 

The boy who was so strong, yet so breakable.

Lily's Boy.

"Mine is also a Doe..." Harry waited for the professor to continue.

"Your mother and I were very close before I called her that nasty word."

Harry nodded.

Merlin, I can't do this, Severus thought.

"I will tell you about her during dinner if you'd like." Severus said apprehensively.

Harry looked up, surprised. "Yes sir. I would love that."

_____________________________

Dinner passed pleasantly as Severus told Harry stories about his mother. When they were done, both felt lighter somehow.

Before bed, Severus helped Harry administer his scar cream, neither of them commenting on it. When it was time for bed, Severus said goodnight before turning off the light. He was alerted that the boy was in distress at 3:15am.

___________________________________

"NO! Stop! Don't kill her! Mum...mum!"

Severus walked in to the pitiful cries of Harry Potter. The boy was tossing and turning, face contorted.

He's not dreaming of...surely not...

"Mum, don't leave me. Please! Leave her alone!

Oh Merlin.

Severus felt his heart break as he remembered cradling Lily's dead body as the child in the crib sobbed.

"Potter, wake up." Severus said loudly. After the boy continued to thrash, he moved towards the bed, turning the lights on and dimming them. "Harry, it's time to wake up now. It's safe." Severus continued in a soft voice. When the boy quieted but stayed lost in the nightmare, Severus slowly sat on the bed and took the boy's hands in his own hand, putting the other on the boy's sweaty fringe. "Harry, wake up. You are safe. Nobody is here." He punctuated his words with his movement as he stroked the boys hair, pushing it out of his face. After several minutes, the boy quieted down.

"Professor...?" Harry asked shakily, his throat rough from screaming.

Severus continued to stroke the boys hair, but released his hands.

"Yes, Harry?"

One of the boy's hands began to play with the fabric on the knee of Severus' pajama bottom. The gesture was odd to Severus. It was one of familiarity and trust.

"My mum..." the boy stopped talking and swallowed loudly.

"I know, Harry," Snape replied, his hand stilled on Harry's head.

"I'm usually not like this. I'm not weak...." Harry trailed off and Severus looked down at him.

"Accepting help is not weak. Your recent reactions are...logical under the circumstances." 

Harry was quiet for several minutes, before he broke the silence again. "You really aren't on Vold...on his side, are you sir?"

Snape stopped stroking the boy's hair for a moment, surprised, before resuming. "No Harry."

Harry nodded, moving Snape's hand with him. "I'm sorry for waking you up, sir." The boy apologized, looking up as if expecting Severus to be angry.

How did I ever believe that this boy was like James? Severus asked himself. The likeness was even less with the boy's glasses off.

"Do not apologize. I am here if you need anything."

Harry nodded mutely, and Severus resumed carding his finger through the boy's hair. When it was clear that Harry had fallen back to sleep, Severus gently pried the hand that held fast to the fabric on his pajama and noxed the lights off.

Entering his own room, he lay down on the bed and quickly fell asleep with pleasant dreams of his lost best friend.

Chapter End Notes:
Please leave me a review! They encourage me to continue. You guys are great!