Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
There will be a sequel. I couldn’t just leave it here, after all. I’ve begun the writing for it, but the plot’s much less formulaic and it’s going to take longer. I can’t make any promises about when it will be posted. It’s called “A Christmas Pledge” and I will begin posting as soon as I can.
Epilogue: First Steps

Albus groaned as Severus shook him awake. “What’s the time?” he said groggily.

“I quit.”

“What?” Albus sat up, rubbed his eyes, grabbed his glasses and looked at the clock. “Severus, it’s two in the morning. What are you on about?”

“I said, I quit.”

“Yes, I heard you. What on earth’s brought this on? And couldn’t it wait until later?”

“No,” Severus said firmly.

“Severus, please don’t leave. You’re the best Potions Master I ever employed—”

“I’m not resigning my teaching post, Albus,” Severus said with a sigh. “I mean I quit being a spy.”

Albus’ eyes widened. “What? Why?”

“Because I see now that I can best help the war effort in a different way.”

“Hold on, hold on—what are you talking about?”

Severus hesitated. “It’s a bit complicated to be explaining at two in the morning.”

“So why’d you wake me up?” Albus said grumpily. “I’m an old man, Severus; I need my sleep.”

“Because I felt I should officially notify you of my position before I begin my new role. Which I intend to do right now.”

“And that is?”

“If I told you now,” Severus said, “we would not be able to help having a long discussion about it, and believe me time is of the essence. I just have to ask you to trust me—I’m preventing a tragedy here.”

Albus paused. “All … right. I trust you, Severus. Fill me in properly tomorrow. Can I go back to sleep now?”

“Of course. When you’ve told me the Gryffindor password.”

There was a long pause. “Fiddlesticks.”

“I beg your pardon?”

“That’s the password.”

“Oh, I see. Thank you. And sorry to disturb you. Merry Christmas, Albus.”

With a surprised smile, Albus returned the greeting.

-

The portrait of the Fat Lady swung open reluctantly, but since Severus had the password she couldn’t very well argue. He entered the Gryffindor common room, and immediately spotted his target.

Harry Potter was sitting in a chair by the fire, staring blankly into it, his knees drawn up to his chest and his arms wrapped around them. He didn’t take any notice of Severus at all.

Severus sat down in a chair opposite, watching him for any reaction. The boy remained completely blank.

“Isn’t it about time you were going to bed?”

Harry jumped violently, eyes snapping to him. “P-P-Professor Snape!” After a moment he pinched himself, as if wanting to make sure he hadn’t fallen asleep and was dreaming. “Er … are you even allowed in here?”

“Well,” Severus said, “Heads of Houses have to gain permission from either the Headmaster or the other Head of House to visit another House’s common room. In this case, the Headmaster consented for me to enter.”

Harry swallowed nervously. “Wh-what are you doing here?”

“I came to talk to you.” Severus paused, noting Harry looked even more nervous at that. “Relax, you’re not in trouble.”

“I’m not?”

“No. I wanted to give you something.” Severus withdrew the present from his dressing-gown pocket and gently pressed it into Harry’s hands. “I’m sorry it’s not wrapped—though I suppose it is after midnight.”

It was a snow globe that Lily had enchanted, many, many years ago. Unlike Muggle snow globes, the snow never stopped falling, and the figures inside—a red-haired girl and a dark-haired boy—continuously skated around a frozen pond.

Harry’s eyes widened as he noticed the charm on it. “Wow.”

“Your mother made it,” Severus said softly, causing Harry to look at him sharply again. “When we were in our third year. It was her Christmas present to me.”

“My … my mum made you this for Christmas?” Harry whispered, staring at the globe again.

“Yes. You probably aren’t aware … we were friends, back then.” Severus had to force back the lump in his throat. “She was very gifted at charms; it hasn’t needed a single renewal in twenty-four years.”

“Those people in there …”

Severus smiled sadly. “They were supposed to be us.”

“It’s incredible,” Harry whispered, “but … I don’t understand … you’re giving this to me?”

“Yes, I am.”

“But—” Harry was obviously struggling to comprehend. “You hate me! Why would you do that?”

“I don’t hate you, Harry.”

Harry blinked at him, slowly processing the use of first name. Severus continued.

“I admit that, only hours ago … I did. However …”

“So what changed?”

Severus’ mouth twitched. “I think I did.”

Harry was still looking wary, as if he thought it might all be a trick.

“I also wanted to apologise,” Severus said.

“Sorry?”

He couldn’t help but chuckle, and Harry’s eyes widened further. “Yes, precisely. I wanted to say sorry for … well, everything, actually. I have given you such a hard time over the years … more than I think you are even aware of. But I promise you that ends, now.”

“Who are you and what have you done with Severus Snape?”

While light-hearted, Severus could sense the confusion in the question, and the thought gave him yet another guilty pang.

“I understand if you can’t trust me straight away. I know I would not, in your shoes. But I promise you, I can see things a lot more clearly now.”

“Oh, yeah? Like what?”

Severus hesitated. “Let’s just say I received a reminder that you are your mother’s son as well. Something I … forgot, for a long time.”

“Oh. What kind of reminder?”

“Ah, I think that should wait until another time,” Severus said gently. “It’s very late. You should be getting along to bed.”

“I’m not tired,” Harry said, failing to stifle a yawn as he stared down at the snow globe in his hands.

“Yes, you are, and you need your rest.”

Harry’s head dropped, and his breathing evened. Severus moved quickly to rescue the snow globe before it fell out of his suddenly lax grip.

Sleeping spells weren’t as good as sleeping potions, but considering the boy was so tired already, it had only taken a little nudge to get him to fall asleep. Severus pocketed the snow globe, picked Harry up in his arms and carried him up to the right dormitory.

After tucking him into his bed, Severus placed the snow globe on the bedside table, drew the curtains and wrote a note, which he attached to them.

Had late night. Please do not wake early.

“Goodnight, Harry,” Severus whispered. “Merry Christmas.”

The End.
Chapter End Notes:
Thanks all for reading and for the reviews ... have a happy Christmas ... Goodbye 'til the sequel, then. (Any plot suggestions are welcome!)