Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 4 Where Snape believes he has little in common with The Boy Who Lived

At the teachers' table, Snape snorted and speared a piece of meat with his fork with ill humour. Professor McGonagall turned at him sharply. Professor Flitwick had left the table to attend to some Ravenclaw pupils who seemed to be having an argument at their table that risked not to settle peacefully without intervention. 

 

”What now, Severus? Not irritated at Mr Potter again, are we? Going to punish him for looking at you?” she launched defiantly.

 

”He’s up to something, as usual,” Snape retorted darkly.

 

”One would really think that one would try one’s best to get along with the son of one’s best friend,” McGonagall said pointedly and continued, ”Especially when that particular person disposed of the Dark Lord that plagued one’s existence for so many years.”

 

Snape growled something inaudible and Professor McGonagall continued mercilessly.

 

”But, no, Severus Snape is stuck in his prejudices and will not change his attitude for all the goblin silver in the world.” Professor McGonagall was being unfair because Snape had indeed been less hostile towards Harry during the last term, although guarded and reserved. The Potions Master had overall improved his behaviour compared to the foul temper he used to display during the Voldemort era. He had even been known lately to give points to Gryffindor students. Professor McGonagall was aware of his improvement, but was too cross with her deputy headmaster for the moment being to take it into consideration.

 

”Mr Potter and I have so very little in common, Minerva, that it would not be worth the effort. And I prefer not to speak of Lily Evans, as you well know - it was bad enough that my past had to be displayed in such a horrible manner at my trial. You know very well that I would have been sent to Azkaban had I not been able to prove to the Ministry that I was loyal to Dumbledore all those years. Had I had the choice however, I would not have disclosed a word about Lily Evans and I have explicitly asked of you not to bring it up,” Snape said heatedly. ”Moreover it would be a bit hypocritical of me, would it not, after all those years of loathing the boy, to suddenly befriend him only because he managed to get someone killed?” added Snape, his voice dripping of sarcasm.

 

”Harry is a lovely young man who fooled Voldemort in a very clever way and I think that you might have more in common than you think, Severus. But you would be too blind to notice, wouldn’t you? Harry’s teachers report that he is more studious this year and that his marks lie in the upper range - outstanding in several subjects, actually. They also tell me he displays an interest in Magical Theory and that he shows an original and intelligent mind of his own in writing his essays, with special reference to ethical issues of magic, the Dark Arts in particular,” said Professor McGonagall. 

 

Snape tried to snort dismissively, but failed as Professor McGonagall leaned closer to him. 

 

”Now, who does that remind me of?”

 

”Mr Potter is wary of me just as much as I of him. And he is an adult, about to leave school soon, no doubt for some illustrious career that his exploits have made way for. Why would I approach him  now? It’s too late,” Snape spat irritably. 

 

”Harry is a young man who is completely alone in the world. His relatives have made perfectly clear that they want nothing to do with him now that he is of age. He has no one. His repeated clashes with Voldemort and his final victory over the Dark Lord has given him an image of invincibility, but I can see that he is in fact quite vulnerable. He could use a mentor and a personal friend. Merlin knows I try to do my best to accommodate him, given that Hogwarts is his only home at the moment, but I can never become more than his head of house and his headmistress. You, on the other hand, with your connection with Lily…” said McGonagall.

 

Snape let his fist fall on the table in a barely controlled manner and interrupted her again.

 

”Stop now, Minerva, I told you not to mention Lily! You only bring this up to make me feel guilty and punish me for refusing to do that Christmas charm of yours,” hissed Snape. 

 

”No,” Professor McGonagall answered thoughtfully. ”That’s not the only reason. I’m angry with you, of course, furious even, but I have wanted to breach the subject of your relationship with Harry earlier, but cowardly avoided it because of your touchiness when it comes to Lily Evans Potter.” 

 

”Mr Potter has hords of friends,” objected Snape. ”Why should he care about his mother’s long-forgotten childhood companion? The Weasley family has practically adopted him. He will most probably marry Molly Weasley’s only daughter - the woman already dotes on him as if he were her own son.”

 

”Hmm… well that is the problem, isn’t it?” said Professor McGonagall.

 

”What? How can that be a problem? It procures him a huge family and a warm home at the Burrow, everything he could wish for,” objected Snape.

 

”Yes… as long as Ginny Weasley doesn’t break up with him,” Professor McGonagall stated calmly.

 

Snape stared at her, speechless.

 

”Molly Weasley is extremely fond of Harry and I believe that she would never reject him, but do you really think that if Miss Weasley finds herself a new boy-friend and wants to bring him home to the Burrow for Christmas in the future, that Molly would choose Harry over her own daughter? It would pain her of course and she would urge Harry to attend the family festivities regardless, but do you think it would be possible for Mr Potter to join them under such circumstances?”

 

Snape looked troubled.

 

”I told you his position is a vulnerable one,” explained Professor McGonagall dryly.

 

”Do you… do you have reason to believe this will happen?” said Snape with incredulity.

 

”Heavens no, it was merely hypothetical. The last time I saw the young couple together they looked very much in love.” Professor McGonagall waved her hand dismissively.

 

Snape scowled at her, but relaxed visibly. The headmistress went on to explain her point.

 

”Miss Weasley is young, demanding of life and adventurous. She chose to quit school to go into business like her brother, whereas Harry chose to complete his education and obtain his NEWT levels, even though, as you implied earlier, he could have had a number of high placed, generously paid positions because of his fame. They don’t see much of each other and I know that Miss Weasley is keen on going abroad next year. A young couple that are separated that much might grow apart, you know. The point I was making was that he’s in a vulnerable position should it happen,” Professor McGonagall concluded sententiously. 

 

”Of course it won’t happen! Who in their right mind would give up a connection with the famous Harry Potter? He’s in a position of having everything he asks for - I wouldn’t call that vulnerability,” said Snape, a something of the old bitterness creeping into his voice.

 

”Fame also has its drawbacks.” Professor McGonagall stood up. ”Severus, about the Christmas Enchantment…”

 

”It’s still no, for Heaven’s sake!” 

 

Snape banged his fist on the table again, causing the cutlery to shatter on the plates and the seated teachers to start and glare at him. The headmistress pursed her lips, swirled round and left the table without another word.