Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 5

Voldemort turned his snake-like face toward Harry. They started to circle each other, eyes locked. It was the first time that Harry could endure Voldemort’s presence without feeling any pain. On the contrary, he felt strangely clear-headed. 

 

”I think I have an idea,” Voldemort said cooly. ”Do you know what this wand is?”

 

”It’s a wand that you have stolen,” said Harry, ”… from the dead. You shouldn’t have. You should have let Dumbledore rest in peace.”

 

Voldemort laughed a crazy laugh as if what Harry said amused him tremendously.

 

”So young, so naive… Potter. If you knew the number of times I have stolen from the dead… If it’s only that… There is no divine justice, I’m afraid, only the justice you dictate yourself… if you’re as powerful as I am, that is,” he said grandiloquently.

 

”It’s not only that,” said Harry calmly. ”It’s different with wands, they have inherent magic. The Elder Wand doesn’t answer to you, because it does not recognise you as its owner. It’s not yours. You did not vanquish Dumbledore.”

 

”I know that, Potter!” Voldemort’s red eyes flashed. ”Why do you think I’ve been aiming at that traitor?” He turned to point at Snape. ”Severus Snape, you betrayed me, how dare you?” Voldemort raised his wand again. 

 

”Severus did not disarm Dumbledore,” Harry cried out. ”He had nothing to do with…” An eager voice interrupted him. It was Lucius Malfoy who had found his way up to Voldemort. His wife, Narcissa, and Draco were in his wake. 

 

”You should kill him nonetheless, my Lord,” said the older Malfoy in an ingratiating voice. ”Without my observation, Snape would still be playing his falsehood at your side. Maybe his plan was to steal that wand and kill you.” 

 

Lucius Malfoy clearly seemed to think that he could gain something from Voldemort by pointing out his part in unmasking Snape. He obviously did not realise the danger, thought Harry, in bringing Draco before the eyes of the Dark Lord. Around them, the fighting wizards and witches had arrested themselves to observe the scene in their midst. Only in the periphery did some magical creatures still wrestle each other. 

 

”Severus did not vanquish Dumbledore as Dumbledore had asked him to end his life should a situation like the one in the tower appear,” said Harry. ”Dumbledore was already doomed. You’ll be happy to hear that the Elder Wand probably answers to no one… or in case it does, it probably answers to me, as I vanquished the person who disarmed Dumbledore, namely Draco Malfoy. Why don’t you try me?” Harry said daringly and took a step forward. 

 

Snape let out a muffled sound and gripped Harry’s sleeve. Harry disengaged without looking backwards.

 

”I’ll take no chances this time, Potter,” said Voldemort and narrowed his already slit-shaped eyes. ”When I aim an Avada Kedavra at you the next time, it will be with this superior wand that will surrender to my powers. One of them stand in the way - I don’t care who - they’ll both go!” His red eyes jumped from Snape to Draco Malfoy. 

 

Draco’s father, who knew perfectly well what had passed in that tower a year ago when Dumbledore was killed and who had previously exaggerated Draco’s part in the act in order to disguise his son’s failure at the time, only just realised what his Dark Lord had in mind and fell to his knees to beg.

 

”No, no, my Lord. Draco has nothing to do with that wand. He didn’t do anything in that tower. It was Severus… It was Severus who did it all,” pleaded Lucius Malfoy. Narcissa Malfoy joined her husband on her knees.

 

”We’ve been loyal servants to you, my Lord. We’ve let you use Malfoy Manor as your own house. Don’t punish Draco,” she said. 

 

”It’s not a punishment, stupid woman,” sneered Voldemort. ”It’s a necessity!” 

 

The moment Voldemort raised his wand, Harry knew that he needed to make a choice. He did not know who Voldemort would strike first, Snape or Draco, but he could not protect them both and instinctively he knew that, this time, it was an Avada Kedavra coming out of that wand and regardless of whether the wand recognised Voldemort or not, Voldemort’s magic was strong enough to force its way through the wand and kill anyone but Harry. 

 

Snape was on his left side, Draco a bit father away to the right. At the moment the green light left Voldemort’s wand, Harry visualised Snape prone on the ground and rolling to the side - and that was exactly what happened. The killing curse passed over Snape’s body and hit the ground. Harry launched himself in the line of fire in case Voldemort would take a new shot at Snape. 

 

But Voldemort turned to his left and aimed at Draco Malfoy who screamed. Harry had just time to turn around and watch Lucius Malfoy rise from his crouched position and throw himself in front of Draco. Harry could not say who of the two was hit, because both wizards fell to the ground. The piercing cry of Narcissa Malfoy was joined by a shocked moan behind Harry. 

 

Things had once again moved too fast for Harry to handle. Sick of the sight of Lucius and Draco Malfoy on the ground with the dishevelled mother crying out her pain, sick of Voldemort who would not listen to reason and sick of himself for delaying what he should have done from the beginning, Harry lifted his wand. He did not know what the consequences of his act would be, he only knew he could no longer delay his fate. 

 

”Avada Kedavra!” he cried.

 

”Avada Kedavra!” shouted Voldemort, aiming at Snape who was moving towards Draco’s body. But the curse never left Voldemort’s wand as Harry’s hit him first and Voldemort fell to the ground. 

The End.
Chapter End Notes:
Prompts for this story among those enumerated by JA Worley in her challenge ”One shot season” were: Own choice, which was Deaging (even if only for a short while), but also to answer Ebbtide’s challenge ”When We All Sing Amen” which gave the story its title - Chapter 4 in particular is dedicated to that challenge, trying to be all action and very little internal monologue - I’m not sure I succeeded, the author of the challenge should be judge of that!