Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks so much for the reviews! They were all awesome, and you get this a few hours earlier. I'm so glad most of you think this could be a good story. I hope you enjoy it
Chapter 2

 

Severus knew that he would need to apprise Albus of the situation but was dreading it for obvious reasons. He sincerely hoped that the man hadn't been aware of the abuse and simply ignored it. He honestly hoped not; as he wasn't sure what that would do for him as a person. Regardless of what everyone else thought of him he did have a set of morals. Child abuse was one of those horrific crimes and knew from personal experience how much it could affect the child in the long run.

He found himself watching the three small boys at the table. Given that he knew who these boys were beforehand it was almost a surreal experience to see them getting along so well with one another. He said nothing however unsure of how this was going to proceed. He turned towards Poppy to address her, quirking an eyebrow at seeing her wiping Draco's face with ease.

"Don't give me that look, I do take care of children on a day to day basis," she told him in amusement.

"Yes but the youngest is usually around 11 years old. I have never seen you with a toddler and believe me when I say that it looks strange. No matter I will be back, I need to inform Albus of these findings. Do you mind if I take the files with me? He will no doubt want to see proof," Severus told her dryly.

"Of course he will, however I would rather he see the children themselves. He won't have any way of denying anything, especially Harry's situation," she replied with a slight upturn of her lips. She knew Albus could be as stubborn as Severus, even more so when it came to Harry's living situation. But she also knew the old man would end up seeing reason given time or if the evidence was there for him to see.

"Even better, then I'll be back soon," he promised not wanting the children to stay any longer in their injured state. It was unsettling to him to see the bruises and marks on their little bodies.

Severus was careful to shut the door behind him, as he knew his godson liked to wander at that age.  And the last thing they needed was someone to become aware of the situation and try to use it to their advantage. Merlin help them all if Fudge somehow caught wind of the situation. He knew in a few hours that Granger and Weasely would be by to see how Potter was and by extension Longbottom.  That could be problematic if they didn't have an excuse thought of yet. It was with that last thought that Severus quickened his pace as he headed to the Headmaster's office.

He gave the password not even bothering to sneer at the sugary sweet; there were other things more important at this time. He knocked on the door and when he was granted entrance he found himself sighing as the sudden emotions hit him upon entering the office. He turned to close the door to compose himself a bit more, without the old man's worrying eyes. There honestly wasn't an easy way to say this. He turned to feel the blue eyes on him, eyes no longer twinkling the longer he stayed silent.

"Severus, what has happened?" Albus asked quietly, not wanting to think the worse but as nothing had been said it was hard not to when one simply appeared into his office without explaining why. He could only assume it had something to do with the children in the infirmary and he needed to know exactly what had transpired.

"I still haven't found a reason as to why their potion has caused such effects. But I will be working hard on it. In the meantime there is a slight problem," he started off slowly as he finally settled in the seat across from the man's desk.

"What kind of problem? Does it have to do with the boys?" The old man asked carefully.

"It does," Severus answered in the same tone but made no further comment as he tried to figure out how drop the news delicately. Looking at the man across from him he could clearly see the man's age and didn't want to inadvertently cause a heart attack or something of that nature.

"Don't leave me in the dark Severus, just tell me," Albus told him firmly.

"As you know Longbottom and Potter's potion caused them to lose conscious in my classroom.  But Poppy and I recently found out that it had other adverse side effects. I have left from the infirmary where Poppy was dealing with five year old boys. They have been deaged and I have no idea as to how let alone why," he explained swiftly. "However that is not the worst of it," he said slowly.

Severus watched his mentor closely as the man processed his words. He knew what needed to be done, the way he needed to say this for the man to understand the consequences of what he didn't do for the children. Now was the time for them to take action, regardless of his dislike for the boys down in the hospital wing.

"What has happened to my boys?" Albus asked his eyes devoid of that customary twinkle.

"Of course you would be concerned with Longbottom and Potter," Severus sneered unable to keep the bite out of his tongue. Even now, was that all Albus could think about?

Albus pierced him with a sharp look over his glasses before he stood up. "I have said nothing of the sort, I merely asked about my students. All of them, but since you have refused to tell me anything I shall have to assume the worse and floo to the infirmary and see for myself," he said tightly barely able to keep his anger restrained. It was a testimony to how worried he was as the control on his magic was starting to slip if the sudden wind in the office was anything to go by.

Severus wasn't stupid; he remembered who exactly this man in front of him was; thank you very much. He shook his head as he fixed the old man with a resigned look. "That was not my intention Headmaster. I just wanted to tell you that the children are doing fine however the potion in adittion to their younger age it had some interesting side effects,"

"What kind of side effects Severus? Are they hurt?" Albus asked quietly.

"Their injuries are consistent in what Poppy and I assume they experienced when they really were this young age. We can only speculate since they weren't in Hogwarts at age 5 that they were hurt from those who were supposed to have cared for them," Severus replied in a calm tone, always the Slytherin. It wouldn't do for the man to see how hard this touched him; one could never be too carefully. It was so easy to be emotionally manipulated trying to prove a point.

"Who is it?" Albus breathed out, a horrible feeling starting to set in his chest.

"2 out of the 3 boys in there have been abused at the hands of their guardians. And do you want to know the worst part? If this hadn't of happened, we would still be unaware of it," he stated bitterly ashamed at himself. He was the one person who knew what to look for, what signs and he had ignored each and every last one of them.

"And as I know you check your Slytherins at the beginning of each year, I know that Draco is okay," Albus replied softly as that guilty weight in his stomach settled in to stay.

"All things considering, he's as healthy as a horse. Over spoiled but better than the alternative," he said with a slight shrug. "To understand the full situation, I think it's best that you see them for yourself Albus." he told the old man, leaving the word proof hanging in the silence.

"I will, just give an old man a moment to take this in. I have failed them, how did I not see this?" He murmured to himself. Harry had begged for the last 2 years if he could stay at Hogwarts for the summer and he had always told him no.  Why hadn't he looked into that? The boy never liked asking for anything, t hat should have been a clue right there. And then there was Pomona who had come to him, pleading with him to allow Neville to stay a few weeks each summer. He remembered her claiming that the plants wouldn't survive without him. He had thought she had been joking but apparently she had a reason. They both did.

"Because we did not want to see," Severus told him quietly as he turned towards the fireplace and flooed to the hospital wing, the old man following after a moment later. He immediately looked around to see the beds that the children had occupied before he left was empty. A glance around the hospital room confirmed that the boys and Poppy were gone. But before he could even start to panic he heard it, a childish giggle and he turned to his companion.

"I believe they are in the lavatory," Albus said with a bemused expression on his face as he headed to the door and opened it carefully as he got his first glimpse of the deaged boys.

Severus eased his way inside, just barely catching the shocked expression on his mentor's face.  He smirked in amusement as they headed further in.

"Uncle Sebbus!" Draco squealed excitedly. "Lookit guys, that's my Uncle Sebbus!" He childishly introduced the man to his new friends, his chest puffed out in pride.

Severus smiled at the proud look on his godson's face but that pleasure was soon ripped to shreds once he caught the look on the other two boy's faces. He saw that Longbottom was looking at him with an expression that bordered suspicion and horror. His heart gave a lurch when he saw that Potter had disappeared into the bubbles from the bath in his fear.

He took no further steps forward then, staying by the wall. His face was a blank mask, only his eyes betraying the shame he felt coursing through his body. Had it only been yesterday that he had relished in their fear of him? He watched impassively as Albus gingerly made his way inside after all the boys didn't fear him. Severus stayed silent, choosing to just observe for now. After all there was nothing he could do for the fear, not now anyway.

"Draco who's that wiff you Uncle Sebbus? Is it Father Christmas?" Neville asked with a small smile as he looked hopefully at his friend.

"I don't know, he might be; or he's Merlin," Draco replied with wide excited eyes.

Albus chuckled at the children's commentary of him as he bent down so he could be more at their level. "Hello boys," he said a smile adorning his face still amused by their conversation.

"Hello sir, I've been a very good boy this year," Neville told the man seriously. "I'm not a squib, and Uncle Algie said that you only bring presents to wizards. And I want you to know I am one. I've done magic before," he told the man with solemn eyes.

Albus gave the child a sad smile, turning towards the medi-witch who had given out a soft gasp at that admission. "We have much to discuss my dear," he told her softly before he turned back to Neville. "I'm not Father Christmas but I am very good friends with him. And I know all of you all been very good boys this year. And you all will be getting presents to," he told them firmly wanting that silly notion out of the child's head.

Harry took that time to poke his head up and give the man a sad smile. "Hawwy not a good boy," he whispered out softly.

"Yes you are, you are a very good boy," the old man told him quietly.

"Nuh uh! Hawwy fweak! And fweaks don't get pwesents," he told the man with a shake of his head.

"That's wrong! You not a freak Harry!" Draco said with an indignant expression on his little face as he turned to look at his new friend. "Tell him Uncle Sebbus!"

Severus was startled to say the least, giving his godson a quirk of the eyebrow. "Draco's right Potter, you are not a freak," he told the child quietly.

The potion Master ignored the disapproving gaze of both his companions unsure of why they were looking at him like that anyway. He had after all answered his godson. He noted only a second later that the children went back to chattering, however there was a slight difference then before.  He was trying to figure out why those sharp green eyes were focused on him. Merlin, he looked like Lily without those blasted spectacles, speaking of which where the bloody hell were they anyway?

It was all Severus could do to keep his anger in check, just thinking about those blasted muggles. True he hated the child as well but he had never struck him and Merlin only knew how many times he wanted too. He frowned as he turned to make his way out of the lavatory; they seemed to be doing well without him. He refused to admit (even to himself) that the unwavering emerald gaze wasn't the reason why he was starting to feel distinctively uncomfortable.

"I will be out in the hospital; I have some of Draco's clothes from when he was a child still in my quarters. I believe he is in need of them," He said quietly.

"And what of Neville and Harry? Don't you think that'll set a message to them about you and them?" Poppy asked him with an incredulous expression on her face that the man would suggest such a thing.

"He's my godson, what would you have me do woman?" "He bit out defensively, unsure of why she was starting to attack him.

"For starters either share the clothes or go and grab their trunks so I can shrink one or two outfits down for them. Lose that sour expression Severus we will not be playing favorites here, not anymore. They have suffered enough as it is," she told him with a challenging look. She could not and would not hold her peace any longer. Especially when it meant Harry or Neville once more ended up with the short end of the stick.

Severus narrowed his eyes, knowing that she was being honest, however he knew the shame didn't lie solely with him and he would not be the scape goat. "Pot, Kettle Poppy, you might want to rethink that. I'm not the one refusing to address Draco by his first name! And yet you're doing it to the Gryffindors, what does that say about you?" He retorted.

Poppy gave him a shrewd look at that particular comment, but if he wanted to play this game, by all means. She wasn't going to take it lying down.

"When I treated Mr. Malfoy after the incident with the Hippogriff he was hysterical and as you know it's easier to work with a patient once they are calmed down. Calling one by their given name does just that without the aid of a calming draught; especially if you do not want them overloaded with potions. I did just that and I was told by him no less that no such plebian as myself would address him by his first name as we did not run in the same circle.  As for Neville and Harry, they're my usual patients and have long called them by their given names since their first year. Do not speak of what you do about know Severus Snape," she hissed out ever mindful of the children who had stopped their conversation to look at theirs in confusion.

Severus opened his mouth to reply before he frowned as he took in her statement. His godson had said that? To Poppy? He himself knew how spoiled the boy could be, but first name basis meant a lot more especially with someone who heals you. He would be having a talk with him once he was back to his original age. "I see," he stated quietly. Why the bloody hell hadn't the woman brought that to his attention then? He would've nipped that in the bud right then.

"Do you?" She challenged a frown marring her face before she sighed and turned away from the man. She would have thought after everything Severus himself had gone too, he would have least felt some type of sympathy for Harry at least. She had thought he did earlier but apparently not. His stubbornness made him blind, but she wouldn't allow Harry or Neville to be hurt by him any longer. He would be their perfect protector if he could get his head out of the sand so he could see, until he could she would have to do it.

"Now is not the time to talk about that here. We have impressionable eyes and ears watching and listening to our every move. We will be discussing this later," Albus interjected into the conversation giving Severus a stern look.

"Of course Albus, let me just go get some clothes for them," he muttered out as he stalked out the Lavatory. Why was he the only one always getting in trouble with Albus?

"Wait, Uncle Sebbus don't go!" Draco cried out, his face scrunching up in his distress as his godfather left.

Poppy gave the boy a soft smile. "He's just gone to get some clothes for you to wear," she explained gently.

"Oh, well he could haff said that," he said softly as he turned back to his bath with a huff.

A few more minutes went by before Poppy got the boys out of the tub, with Albus's help to her amusement. Wrapping them all in towels they carried them over to a corner of the infirmary that was covered from prying eyes. She knew that at any time a student could come in for an injury and they still weren't sure what exactly the plan was for the children.

It was only luck that there were only a few days until the break. She knew Harry had signed up to stay at the castle but she wasn't sure about Neville or Draco but she knew those issues would be addressed momentarily. Thankfully it didn't take too long for Severus to bring the clothes and between the three of them they quickly got the children dressed.

Severus watched with a tight expression on his face while Potter alternated from looking from the clothes he was wearing to back to him before the process repeated itself. "Dese Hawwy's cwothes?" He whispered out, as if he was afraid to hope.

"No, those are not your clothes, those are Draco's," he said absently.  He watched with a start as the child's hopeful expression quickly turned to resignation. He knew that face, how often had he himself did it when he had been a child. Damn it, that tight clenching in his chest was starting up again; he absently wondered if he should have Poppy check that out. Lily's eyes shouldn't look like that.

"But I share wiff Harry, and Neville. You can keep it Harry I got more," Draco told him cheerfully.

"I won't get dem diwty Dwaco, I pwomise," Harry said solemnly.

"You can get them dirty Harry, They yours," he told him with a firm nod of his little blond head.

"Hawwy doesn't get good cwothes," he murmured out as he touched his shirt reverently.

"Yes Harry does, as soon as I can, Harry and Neville and Draco will be getting new clothes and toys," Severus found himself saying to the surprise of Poppy, Albus and most importantly himself. Where the hell had that come from? Had he really said that?

"Weally? No twicks?" Harry asked skeptically.

"Of course not Harry, why would he do that? Uncle Sebbus is a man of his...um...word," he said excitedly after remembering the phrase his father always said in reference to his godfather.

"What's dat mean?" Harry asked in confusion.

"It means he says what he means," Neville stated quietly as he looked at the dark man. At first the man had scared him, with his frowns and imposing nature but he kept hearing good things from Draco.  And now the man had just said he himself would be buying all 3 of them toys and clothes! That meant a lot in that 5 year olds book, especially as the man didn't seem to care whether or not he showed magic. He couldn't help the bitter feeling he suddenly felt. How come his Uncle couldn't be like that?

"Hawwy nevew had toys," Harry admitted with wide eyes.

"Well you will now, I promise you that," Severus said before he found himself abruptly clearing his throat as he suddenly felt something stuck inside of it. That had him quickly turning to look at the Matron in concern, as he wondered what the hell was going on. "I think I might be coming down with something," he told her, clearing his throat once more to make a point.

Poppy could only just hold in her grin, giving the man a fond nod. "I'll check it out after," she said knowing it wasn't an illness at all but a feeling one got and she was delighted for him even if he wasn't sure just what that was. He would soon and she hoped it would be sooner rather than later.

Neville looked at Draco in awe, as Harry had a bright grin on his face and he had been trying to get his new friend to smile since they woke up. "Your Uncle Sebbus is nice. He's a lot nicer then my Uncle Algie," he told h softly.

"Or my Uncle Vewnon," Harry added quietly the adults almost didn't hear him.

"Why do you say that? What does your Uncle do?" Draco asked in confusion, wasn't every Uncle like his?

"Mine wikes to huwt me weally bad ‘cause I'm a fweak. And so he's got to beat da fweakyness outta me," Harry confessed softly feeling a soft weight disappear from his chest. He had never told anyone that ever before. But somehow this felt right, and for a moment he felt that his Uncle Vernon couldn't touch him.

Draco turned to glance at his Uncle, his little eyes narrowing as he turned back to his friend and shook his head. He didn't know people did that, as he lived a sheltered life. He turned to Neville almost afraid to want to know. "What does your Uncle do?"

"Not as bad as Harry's Uncle, mine likes to throw me out the windows or from places up high. On my birthday he set my room on fire wiff me in it," Neville confessed sadly. "My Grandmother didn't do anything to stop him,"

"Why would he do that?" Draco asked his face horrified as he turned back to his Uncle.

"To see if I'm a wizard," Neville said with a sigh before he turned to look at the wall sadly.

"But Uncle Sebbus knows a spell for that," Draco said softly wanting to know why his friend's Uncle didn't just do the spell. However he knew the boy in question didn't want to talk about it. And he felt so very bad, and he wanted to make his friends feel better.  "I can share him, if you want? Den he can be all of our Uncle Sebbus's!" He said clapping eagerly at that thought.

It was with that last announcement in which Severus and Albus quickly transfigured a few toys to keep the children occupied.  They had heard enough, and what they had heard had shaken them to the core, each one in their own thoughts. They then spelled a privacy charm so they could talk. The Potion's master was quickly getting lost in his thoughts. It had been a long time since he seen this side of Draco he had almost thought it didn't exist anymore.

Narcissa and he had raised Draco with morals and value as they both wanted to make sure he didn't come out with a sense of entitlement. But that was for naught because as soon as he turned 8 Lucius had started grooming him and by the time he had come to Hogwarts Severus could barely stand the child his godson had become. He could see the questions simmering in his companions eyes and he sighed but this talk was long overdue, and they had waited long enough.

"Did you see the bruises on Neville's body?" Poppy asked Albus, always straight to business when one of her children were being hurt.

"I did as well as the starved and beaten body of Harry's. I also heard their conversation from just a moment ago as you both did.  Clearly Harry won't be going back there, and I will be making a visit to Petunia to see just what she thought she was doing," Albus stated calmly.

Severus was floored; he had expected more argument at the very least if he was being honest. He tried to figure out if this was some sort of ploy but he was at a loss. "You're not going to make him stay there with his relatives?" He couldn't help but ask. Slytherins were never direct but he needed to know if the man was somehow trying to see if Petunia could be ‘swayed' to see reason.

"No Severus. I would never knowingly send a child back into an abusive home life. We both know that's more detrimental then beneficial to their health," the old man said firmly looking over his glasses at the other man trying to catch his eye and see where he was going with this.

"You sent me back," Severus stated out bitterly refusing to catch the old man's eye.

"And that is one of my biggest regrets," he said softly. He felt wretched every time he thought about it. It was horrible to think about but thanks to Tobias Snape the children of Hogwarts had gained a guardian angel without realizing it. Severus had suffered at the hands of an abusive father so he knew firsthand what to look for.  And because of that they had rescued many a children from an abusive situation. And that is what hurt Albus the most each and every time they caught a case. Why did Severus have to suffer so?

"Of course it is Headmaster," Severus said quietly as he turned away from the man to look at the children in front of him.

"That is the truth Severus, I know I should have fought harder for you," he told him quietly, his voice laced in guilt.

"Well you didn't and anyway this is about Potter," Severus said with a shake of his head not in the mood to discuss this. "And we know it's always been about Potter," he murmured.

Poppy cleared her throat then very much aware of the tension in the conversation but now was not the time for them to bring up old wounds no matter how much salt had been rubbed into them. "What are going to do with them?" She asked bringing the topic back to the children.

"Before we get into that, Poppy, I've been very curious about something. In all the times that Potter and Longbottom have been in here, why haven't you seen any bruises?" Severus asked generally curious about that question.

"Well usually it's a few weeks into the term when I first see Neville and he often tells me it has to do with potions and that is pretty self explanatory. As for Harry, I've seen a few yellowing bruises but he told me it was from Quidditch and its during the times after he's had a game so the suspicion was never there," Poppy explained sadly.

"What about the physical they receive at the beginning of each year?" He said with a frown. This just didn't make up, it didn't add up. Was he missing something?

"Slytherin house is the only one that does that, and that is because of you. I have brought it up with Albus that it should be mandatory for each house but he felt there wasn't a need for it," she said softly.

"Once more I was wrong. I am only human, I just wish it hadn't been my students who had to suffer that costly mistake," he stated wearily.

"Well we can fix that mistake now. Once the children come back from the Winter Holidays," Poppy said sternly, giving the headmaster a knowing glance.


"Sounds good," Albus murmured having no disagreements with that, not anymore.


"Now back to what I mentioned before.  I want to know what we're going to do about them? I know with the threat of Sirius Black on the loose that no one is permitted to stay in the castle so there's the issue with that. Not to mention the matter of Neville and Draco and if they're guardians needs to be informed," Poppy explained knowing that Harry would be going with someone it was just a matter of who.


"Narcissa and Lucius have already discussed a complication with their upcoming holiday. I am to take Draco to my Manor for the entire 3 weeks as they want to have a small vacation alone. I believe Narcissa wants another child," he told them quietly.


"So that takes care of Draco but what about Harry and more importantly Neville," Poppy said frowning as she tried to think of who could take the children.


"I don't think it's safe to send Longbottom back home, figure out something to tell Augusta but he won't be going home this holiday. I know for a fact Algernon will be there," Severus said curtly wonder just what they would do about that.


"What would you suggest we do then Severus? Honestly I'm at a loss to even place Harry somewhere. I don't suppose you would offer to take all 3 of them?" Poppy said softly, against her better judgment. But in all honesty she knew that if he truly chose to do it, he could find a way to make sure each little boy knew their worth. And find a cure in no time, which was just the kind of man Severus was. Now if only he would give himself enough credit..


"Absolutely not," Severus said vehemently studiously ignoring the look on the old man's face.


"Actually Severus, Poppy's idea does have merit. Your Manor is Unplottable and the area is under the Fidelius charm. Given your goblin wards as well, it truly is the safest place for them to be," Albus replied carefully. He stroked his beard thoughtfully as he thought about that. He didn't want to have to force the man to take the boys if he didn't want too. Harry and Neville didn't need any more resentment going their way. He knew Severus would be the best choice to help the children heal, not to mention the man himself, but he wanted him to do it willingly.

 

"I won't do it, this is a time for me to spend time with just me and my godson. It's a chance for me to try to fix the wrongs that Lucius has done to him," Severus said with a frown.  "You cannot make me,"

 

"Of course we can't," Poppy told him softly, understanding his dilemma.

 

"Just think on it, you have 2 days, until they go to break. I myself would really appreciate it, if you can find it somewhere in you to realize that this is the best solution," Albus told him quietly. "Would you really want Draco to lose his new friends? We both know that this friendship should they remember it when they grow up be beneficial to all of them?"  He added.

 

"Albus do not ask this of me, don't I deserve some happiness?" Severus bit out.

"Of course you do, and I would never try to take that away from you of all people. But answer me this, don't Harry and Neville both deserve a Christmas they can remember? A holiday where they can just be children they are; where they didn't have to worry about getting hurt?" Albus asked him sadly.

Severus blew out a breath as he turned once more to look at the innocent children in front of them once more. He knew the old man spoke the truth, and he himself would be an awful person not to allow the children to stay with him. He remembered a Christmas before Hogwarts, he was 8.

He spent that Holiday with Lily and her family and he had loved every minute of it. For a moment then he had felt cherished and loved even. He knew what he would do; he just hoped that he wouldn't fail at his job. Lily and Alice's children deserved this happiness, who was he to stand in their way?

"I'll do it," he breathed out before canceling the charm and making his way to Draco lest they end up making him agree to something else.

Poppy turned to Albus with a sad smile. "This is good for all of them; I just hope Severus is up to the task,"

"He will be, he knows the outcome if he fails," Albus stated quietly as he stood up and made his way to the floo. He had much to do in the next two days. 

Chapter End Notes:
Looking forward to seeing what you guys think! some of your theories are spot on!