Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to my faithful reviewers you guys are awesome! This is posted today, because it was starting to get ridiculously long for no reason. And if I kept it for another day it would get added too. Enjoy it!
Chapter 4

When Severus arrived in the infirmary on Friday the next morning, he was happy to note that the children were still sleeping. He turned an inquisitive eye to the matron wondering if she hadn't woken them or if this was the cause of a potion. He glanced at the clock, knowing it to be around 10:00 and he knew if no one else that Longbottom wouldn't be sleeping in that late or Draco for that matter. If he was being honest, all of the boys were on some type of schedule that had to do with their routine. Which led him back to his original point; why were they still sleeping?

"Poppy do you know why are they still sleeping? Are they ill?" He asked with a bit of dread in his stomach. That was the only thing that would be worst then just dealing with the 3 toddlers; dealing with sick toddlers. He would never have the patience required to care for them.

"No I spelled them all; I knew it would make the transition easier. Albus informed me that you were flooing to the Manor and Harry has not yet traveled by magical transportation at this age. And while he seems to be adapting to magic better than we expected I didn't want to push our luck," she explained.

"I understand," he murmured and he did. He expertly picked up Draco, comfortably setting him on his left side before frowning as he looked at the other two. He wasn't sure which one he wanted to pick up, he didn't actually want to get them but he didn't want to hear Poppy.

 Choosing he quickly grabbed Longbottom, as that boy at least trusted him to keep him safe. Potter feared him and though it had only been 2 days he was disappointed to realize no progress was being made.

"Will Albus be flooing with you?" Poppy asked as she picked up Harry and snuggled him to her chest. This was the favorite part of her day and she would miss them once they left. Though on the plus side, she had to visit with them every couple of days to check their progress so it wasn't all bad. Harry needed as many hugs as he could get.

"I hope so, he has their trunks. I know they may not have much need for them at the moment, but they are theirs," he told her; and he understood the sentiment. "And what has happened to their wands?" He was curious to know as those items had not been in their trunks or even on their persons.

"Albus has them," she told him honestly, and it really was the best place.

He didn't say anything else as he carefully flooed to the Headmaster's office. He was so not about to walk down the corridors with two small toddlers obviously.  While the corridors were sure to be empty as the students in question were all headed down to the train, there was always a few stragglers'.

"Albus will you be flooing with me to my Manor?" Severus asked once he appeared in the man's office.

"Yes, I want to check the wards and talk with you a bit more on what I've discovered," Albus told him promptly as he was carefully handed Harry from Poppy.

"Then I will see you there, and I will see you in 2 days Poppy," Severus told her before he disappeared into the green flames.

Albus gave the woman a small smile before he and Harry followed suit right about a minute after Severus. He didn't want to floo on top of the man and end up injuring their charges. Once he landed in the Manor he took a moment to look around, noting in amusement that it was of course with out the Christmas decorations.

 He would have to take care of that in a few days, knowing that the children would be delighted to help; though he knew Severus wouldn't be that thrilled. Albus laid Harry down on the couch before going to take Neville from Severus to lay him down as well.

"I see no need to keep them sleeping, it would be better if you woke them all up in a little while. Otherwise they will not want to sleep tonight," Albus told him truthfully.

"Trust me Albus, I will be doing just that; just as soon as I get done talking with you," Severus told him, even though he would have loved to keep the little brats sleep. He turned to set his godson in between Potter and Longbottom before gesturing to Albus to settle down in the chairs near the fireplace.

Albus took his seat, watching impassively as Severus snapped his fingers for a house elf. He knew what the man wanted to be informed of, but he also knew he needed to be delicate in delivering the information. Nothing had truly been changed, but things were being set into motion as a result of his actions. He turned his eyes directly to the man across from him once the tea had been served; well it was the moment of truth.

"What did you find out at Longbottom's house?" Severus asked, always one to cut to the chase. Now was not the time to deal with Albus's way of prolonging the inevitable.

"Augusta wasn't very forthcoming with anything, at least not until I told her that Poppy had done a scan of Neville's body and the results were horrifying. Only after telling her that as Poppy's oath as a healer and that she had to report it got her to talk to me," Albus stated calmly.

"And what did she say? Did she try to deny it? Or worse, did she try to justify her actions?" Severus asked with a grim look on his pale face.

"She's seems to be under the illusion that Neville is the exact copy of his father. But you and I know that they both are two different people. The most noticeable trait is that Frank Longbottom is in St. Mungo's while Neville is not," Albus replied evenly.

"I see," Severus said carefully and he did see. He had been here once before, with a couple of his snakes. This particular abuse had catastrophic consequences. He knew that depending on the child, it could go a few ways. He has seen it first hand, some of them turn to suicide and others tended to go violent against others. He shook his head ruefully for being so blind to not see this sooner.

"Yes, and so she's demanded to see him, but we both know that is not going to happen. I recommended to her that she see a mind healer, but that didn't go by her very well," Albus stated with a small chuckle. He knew she would try to go to her solicitors but with the law on their side as well as the medical records she and Algernon were looking at charges for child neglect and abuse. He would be keeping an eye on things these next few days.

"I don't see her just letting this go," Severus said with a caution tone, it unsettled him no doubt about that.

"She isn't but, but we have the law on our side. She allowed the heir to the Noble House of Longbottom to be harmed on her watch, and possibly adding to his turmoil. That won't just go away either Severus," Albus pointed out.

"That is also true," Severus replied slowly, the odds were in their favor, but he was a Slytherin. So he knew nothing was set in stone, and he would have to be vigilante until this was all over with.

"I'm optimistic," Albus told him with a warm smile.

"I'm cautious and with good reason, but enough of that. What did you find out regarding Potter?" Severus asked his eyes flickering over to the child who was lying innocently on his couch. He frowned at the sudden twitching of his arms, unsure of what they meant. He shook his head, his eyes meeting back to his mentors'.

Albus took off his glasses and gave a weary sigh as he rubbed his eyes. This was the one that he had barely been able to keep his magic restrained. He had been glad that no one else had gone with him, or else he wouldn't have been able to keep them calm. Especially not when he himself had struggled and had tried hard not to curse the muggles. He looked at Severus's expectant eyes, but honestly he didn't even know where to start. Maybe he should try to take his own advice and to start from the beginning.

"His bedroom was a cupboard under the stairs," Albus started off softly.

"What?" Severus asked his eyes glancing back at the child before going back to the old man. Had he heard wrong?

"It was a four bedroom home, but Harry was given a cupboard to stay in. They wanted to keep the freak away," Albus stated as his eyes pooled with tears. "I should have checked on him,"

"Petunia let her nephew live in a cupboard?" Severus asked his eyes dark pools of unidentified emotion.

"Yes, he knows nothing of love, or kindness," Albus replied quietly as he took a moment to gain control of his emotions. He wouldn't talk about the cupboard, he couldn't. Besides maybe Harry would be able to open up to Severus.

"What else?" Severus said bitingly.

"He's very good at hiding, he knows if he's out of sight he's out of mind and that was safer for him. Severus I know you saw Poppy's report so I won't elaborate on the injuries. He's been neglected and emotionally, verbally and to an extent physically abused. His Uncle started hitting him around the age he is now which is why he's constantly flinching away. Hands only hurt for him," Albus told him with a sigh.

"How can this be? On Lily's child?" Severus murmured inaudibly, as the question wasn't meant for Albus but for him and him alone. "What's being done about them?" He asked a bit louder.

"At the moment, I've cut off their stipend that they were receiving to take care of Harry and have ordered them to pay it all back. I cannot take their guardianship just yet, but I will as soon as I have a home setup for Harry," Albus explained.

Severus nodded curtly, knowing exactly what he meant by that. He wasn't stupid; he knew that Fudge would do anything to have the boy-who-lived in his grasps. And they didn't want him a ward of the ministry. That would do way more harm then good, and he knew that even he would be better than them.

He frowned at the sudden thought, where had that idea even come from? Albus didn't even suggest it, so why did he think of it? Maybe he just felt guilty for allowing Lily's child to suffer because of his blindness. No matter, he wouldn't fail him again, he would make sure that Harry found a family that would love and cherish him. 

"I will need to make sure that whichever guardian you choose, is up to the task of taking care of Mr. Potter," Severus told the man seriously as he stared unblinkingly at his employer. He had put his trust in Albus and it had failed, yet again. He wouldn't fail this time.

"That's fine Severus," Albus told him quietly before he turned and gently flicked his wand in the direction of the boys.

Severus glanced at the children again before shaking his head as he turned back to Albus. He knew that the boy's were in dire need of clothes and dare he say it toys. He just wasn't good at asking for help, he would have to casually slip the idea to Albus at another time. As their emotions were still raw at this point in time due to the past conversation, and he had no desire to try to work through those emotions at this time.  He simply turned to finish his cup of tea, knowing the children would be up in just a moment.

True to Severus's thoughts, it was maybe 15 minutes later when the first boy woke up, surprisingly to find Neville looking around the sitting room with wide and sleepy eyes. His gaze landed on the two men who had stopped their conversation to look at him. The boy in question quickly jumped off the couch and dusted himself off, hoping they hadn't seen his feet were on the cushion. He didn't recognize the interior so knew it was probably, Draco's Uncle Sebbus's house.

"Good morning Mr. Longbottom," Severus told the child, his dark eyes focusing on the child but not necessarily his eyes. He knew the boy tended to shudder when he held eye contact and he hated that he didn't know why that was. Hopefully he would be able to figure out just why that was. He really did have his work cut out for him.

"Good morning Sir, Headmaster," Neville said quietly his eyes looking to find Draco and Harry both still asleep. While he would have liked them to be awake, he wasn't going to disturb them.

"Do you need anything Neville?" Albus asked in concern.

"Just the time Headmaster," Neville replied politely.

Albus frowned, wishing the child didn't speak like an adult, but having no reason to wonder why. He knew the cause and it hurt his heart so. "It's just after 11:00am," he told him as he spelled the tempus charm.

Neville took on a panicked expression at that answer, his eyes flickering from the old man and back to the dark man. He shuddered for a moment before he shook his head. He was going to be a Gryffindor like his parents, so he would be brave and take his punishment like they would. He hesitated only slightly before he marched over to the men, coming to stand in front of Draco's godfather. He took a deep breath before he stuck his hands out in front of him.

To say Severus was confused at first was putting it lightly, and he knew once he glanced over at Albus that the old man was curious about it as well. What was the child doing? And why did he have a feeling that he wasn't going to like the answer?

"What are you doing?" Albus asked since it seemed like Severus wasn't going to be able to get the question out.

"I'm waiting for my punishment, for waking up late sir. I've slept the whole day away practically," he said softly, knowing that these men probably hit a lot harder then what he was used too but he wouldn't cry. He knew that only made it worse.

Severus found his voice at that, and shook his head, his dark hair falling slightly into his face as he bent his head down so they could look eye to eye with the child. "You were spelled asleep by Poppy. And furthermore, they're will be none of those smacks here. I do not discipline that way," he told him firmly before he gently pulled the boy's hands down and to his sides. "Do you understand me Mr. Longbottom?"

"Yes sir," Neville replied softly before sighing. "But I missed breakfast too, when am I allowed to eat?" He asked the man with a brave face, more then he currently felt. The man was still in his personal space, but he didn't feel threatened at all, and he honestly was confused by that.

"Now," Severus promised him as he snapped his fingers for his house elf.

"What can Missy do for Master Severus?" Missy the house elf chirped.

"This is Neville Longbottom, one of the 3 boys who will be staying with us for a while. Could you please show him to the kitchen and fix him something to eat?" Severus asked her.

"Of course Master Severus," Missy said eagerly as she held out her hand for the child to take. She was rewarded when the child grabbed her hand and they made their way to the kitchen.

Severus waited until they were gone before he put a hand over his face. "I'm in over my head Albus. I still cannot see how you thought this would be a good idea. I don't feel like I am the best person to help them," he muttered out with a shake of his head.

"You don't see it, but I do. I was even a witness to it, just a moment ago. I am not punishing you Severus, but this will work out in the end I promise you that," Albus stated cryptically.

Severus couldn't see what the man saw and only gave a curt nod, his head turning quickly when he heard a soft whimper. For a moment he thought it might be Draco, but the blonde head stayed down on the couch. The dark head didn't move either and he almost dismissed it until he found himself suddenly staring into a pair of sparkling green eyes. "Potter," he said lips curling almost instinctively only just barely able to catch himself.

Harry flinched at the tone, before he quickly rolled off the couch. He kept one eye on the dark man in the corner as his other eye scoped out the hiding spots and the exits. He knew that he had nothing to fear from the old man, but Draco's Uncle Sebbus frightened him to his very core. He didn't understand it, especially as the man hadn't hurt him. But something in the way that he said his last name, just made him know that he had done something horrible to this man.

It had to be his freakiness that touched him somehow.  He walked slowly towards the men, choosing to stand in front of the man who looked like Father Christmas. No matter what the man said, Harry was certain that this was the real Father Christmas and he wouldn't do anything stupid or bad. He had a really big chance of getting presents this year so he was going to try as hard as he could to be the best he could be.

"Good morning Harry, how did you sleep?" Albus asked cheerfully, as he turned to give Severus a look. The man knew better than that, and besides Albus had thought he was passed all of that, especially given what he found out about Harry.  Apparently his hatred for James Potter was still very strong.

"Hawwy is fine," Harry replied shyly as he looked into the warm blue eyes.

"That's good, are you hungry at all my boy?" Albus said slyly, hoping if he could just keep the child calm he would be able to admit just one thing without the other boys. Even if he didn't it would still be progress.

Harry wasn't sure if this was a trick question, but he knew the old man at least wouldn't hurt him. That bit of him was adamant that ‘Father Christmas' wouldn't lay a hand on him like his Uncle did. He couldn't make himself verbally answer so he gave a soft nod.

"Good, follow me Harry. Neville is in the kitchen already eating," Albus said as he gently took the child's hand. He shook his head disappointedly at Severus as he passed but said nothing not wanting the child to overhear him.

Severus winced softly, aware that he had messed up. He knew that Potter the child, was nothing like Potter senior but it was hard given the messy hair. However he knew that it was wrong, and if someone else decided to look into it, he could actually be hurting the child even worse. The other type of abusive people, which he and Albus hadn't gotten into, was the kind who doesn't see the child for who he is.

He knew that Harry and James were two different people; he just had trouble differentiating between the two of them. Which in hindsight he knew it was bad, if he couldn't see that they were two different people then this wouldn't work for Harry. He frowned; Lily would be so ashamed of him, if she knew that he was treating her son like this. Harry had done nothing to him and yet he was once again punishing him for the sins of his father. That made him just as bad as Harry's own Aunt.

Was that kind of message he wanted Draco and Neville to see? Or Harry for that matter? What would this do to him? That would just cement in the child's eyes that no one would care for him, and he wouldn't be the reason for the child giving up on people. That was what happened to him, people giving up on him led to his dark and dangerous path. He got it; he knew what Albus meant now.

Which meant for him, that he couldn't call him Potter anymore, at least not until he could be sure that he was addressing Harry. And this was Harry not James. He would make this right, and he took a breath to clear his thoughts. He wouldn't fail again. He was interrupted from his moment of clarity when he saw movement out of the corner of his eye and he snapped to attention. He smiled a small smile for his blonde sleepy eyed godson, who was looking around curiously.

"Hiya Uncle Sebbus," Draco said as he rolled off the sofa and stood up before giving off a wide yawn.

"Hi Dragon, did you sleep well?" Severus asked him kindly as he made his way too him.

"I did, but I so hung'y now Uncle Sebbus," Draco told him as he stretched his arms up to be carried.

"You're getting much too big to be carried dragon," Severus told him fondly but he bent down to pick him up.

"No I'm not, mummy says that I am the right size for her to pick me up," Draco said with a cheeky smile.

"Fair enough," Severus said as he turned to head out the door, positive that Draco would want to eat as well. Not to mention it would give him a moment to talk with Albus, he was very much aware that he needed to assure the man that he could see the difference between Harry and James, after all that was important.

 He set Draco down in a chair and motioned to Albus to follow him back into the sitting room. They were only a room away and he knew that Missy would warn him if something was wrong. He spelled a privacy charm, just in case they happened to raise voices the boys wouldn't be able to hear.

~*~*~*~~*~**~*~*~**~**~*~*~*~*~*~*

Back in the kitchen, Draco was eating his breakfast with vigor. He was so hungry, not to mention he was worried that Neville and Harry would be finished before he was and he didn't want to be left at the table alone.

"No so fast Dwaco, or you can choke and that'll be real bad," Neville said worriedly.

"I just don't want you or Harry to leave me, when you get done with your bweakfast fiwst," Draco told him honestly.

"Hawwy and Nebille won't weave you, Hawwy pwomise," Harry told the boy with a shy smile.

Draco smiled, knowing it to be true, especially since Harry only spoke up when things needed to be said. "Fanks Harry,"

"You welcome Dwaco," Harry said with a bright smile before he looked around the kitchen as he drank the rest of his pumpkin juice. He had been introduced to a lot of yummy goodness since he had been here; even the porridge that he had been served today was nothing like his Aunt Petunia made him eat. Which reminded him of something else, where were they exactly? And would he get to stay with Neville and Draco? Or would they somehow get separated, he hoped not. The only person who could answer that was Draco, as he looked like he had been here before.  But Harry didn't want to talk to him too much now, especially since he was eating.

Neville had no such qualms about it. "Draco are we at your Uncle Sebbus's manor?"

"Yep, we are and it's really big. Sometimes I fink its bigger then Malfoy manor," Draco said proudly.

"Cool, then we'll have a really fun time playing here if your Uncle Sebbus lets us," Neville said brightly.

"He will," Draco promised him happily.

Harry was thrilled at the conversation going on around him. He would get to play with Neville and Draco and he was sure that both of them had toys. That meant that he would get to play with their toys because they were his friends; which led to the bright smile currently on his face. He had never had friends and this was a new but very welcoming experience for this little boy.

They even liked it when he talked, that was a whole different change then he was used it. It's like they wanted to hear what he had to say.  He was still smiling when Draco finally finished his food and then slid off his chair. Harry quickly followed suit, looking at the slightly bigger boys expectantly.

"We hafta go get my Uncle Sebbus, so he can show us where we sleep," Draco told him, knowing that their room would be near their playroom.

"Gweat," Neville replied easily as he reached for Harry's hand. He had noticed the grownups had down that with Harry in particular. If they didn't pick him up they made sure that he was holding onto to their hand. Neville was sure it had to do with the fact that sometimes Harry got scared and he hid very easily. He didn't want his friend to be scared so he would hold his hand whenever they went somewhere. It was their job to protect Harry until he could protect himself.

Draco led the way back into the sitting room, noting in annoyance that he couldn't hear either men which told him that they had spelled a silencing spell and he pouted. "We hafta wait," he told them with a huff.

"That's fine," Neville said every the patient one.

Harry didn't mind waiting and didn't bother saying anything. Only as he stood in place for a moment he found himself moving as he registered something. He gasped softly as he squirmed in place anxiously as he watched the dark man silently talking to the old man with the long beard. He didn't want to interrupt but he also knew staying silent was also bad in the long run and he turned to his blonde friend. "Dwaco, I hafta go potty," he confessed softly.

Draco nodded compliantly, as he understood that.  He just wasn't sure if his godfather has spelled the charm against him. So he wasn't sure calling him would be the best way. No matter, he wasn't scared this was his godfather. The other downside was that he hadn't been to his godfather's manor in a long time so he wasn't sure where everything was. He glanced at Harry and measuring the situation he hurried forward and tugged on his godfather's cloak. "Uncle Sebbus?"

Severus paused in his conversation with Albus and looked down at his godson curiously wondering just what the child wanted.  And this is why he liked the selective privacy charm, they could hear the boys but the children couldn't hear them. Which reminded him, and he quickly canceled the charm before he bent down slightly to address the child. "What is dragon?"

"Harry hasta go to the baffroom," he told him proudly.

"Thank you for telling me Draco," he told him with a soft smile before he scowled as he realized the headmaster was twinkling his bright eyes at him.  "Watch the other two and cease with that insufferable look," he hissed at the other man trying to regain some of his dignity at being caught.

Albus grinned but didn't comment on it as he took a seat in the comfy chair near the boys. "Harry you go with Severus, he will take you to the lavatory," he told the small child kindly watching sadly when the green eyes opened even wider in his fright. He noted that he wasn't the only who noticed as the boy on his left suddenly spoke up.

"I need to relieve myself as well," Neville stated formally giving the raven headed child a knowing look. He wouldn't leave Harry alone with Sebbus until he told him so. He knew that his friend was afraid of his Draco's godfather, and if he was being honest so was he.

Severus frowned at the tone but grabbed the two boys hands to escort them, leaving Draco with Albus. The first thing he was planning doing was getting that child to relax, between Harry and Neville, Severus was almost at a loss for words. They were contradictions of their older self and he hated them for it. Not that it was their fault, he hated their situation and how he hadn't seen, and wouldn't have seen until now.

Albus wasn't sure what to make of the little blonde boy. He did know he couldn't judge him on the sins he had done when he was older as Draco Malfoy age five was currently innocent of any wrong doings. As of now he was a new blank slate and any good he learned Albus hoped he was able to retain it.

He turned his attention to the boy and smiled brightly at him.  The little boy was staring at him with a pensive look that seemed out of place on his young face. When the little boy granted him with a smile he assumed he had passed whatever test the little boy had given him.

"Gran'pa Albus?" Draco asked softly unsure if the man would allow him to call him that. But he just didn't feel right calling him Headmaster like his Uncle Sebbus. He didn't go to that school, so he didn't think it was right. Besides the man looked like Merlin, he was so not a Headmaster to Draco.

"Yes Draco?" Albus asked clearly delighted at the new name, he wasn't going to change a thing.

"Can I sit on you lap?" He asked childishly.

"Of course you can," Albus replied as he eagerly picked the child up, allowing the boy to play with his beard and garbled nonsense words at him. Albus was just delighted that the child had no misgivings. He loved the boy in that moment, and wished hard that Draco would still hang on to this innocent side of him when he returned to his former self.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Back with Severus the younger man was currently waiting on the two small boys. Once he had led them to the loo, they had both disappeared inside it and shut the door. He was slightly worried, which is why he was standing close to the door ready to jump inside if necessary.

The time did give him a moment to contemplate things, like for starters he really wanted Harry's fear of him gone. It physically hurt his heart every time the little boy flinched and hunched into himself whenever he was near him. Lily's eyes should never have that fear. The other thing was Longbottom, he was like a walking dictionary his grammar was so rich.

He hated it, he knew with pureblood etiquette that Draco had it too, however his godson tended to relax but Longbottom never did and he would need to get him comfortable so he could. Add to the fact that he would have to somehow find an antidote, Severus was starting to feel overwhelmed. Which of course he would never admit; even in the dire of circumstances.  He was interrupted from his musings when the door opened and both little boys walked out of the door.

"Hands washed?" He asked them promptly, recalling going through this with Draco. It was like riding a broom, it was all starting to come back to him.

"Yup, I made sure Harry used soap and everything," Neville told him proudly.

"Good boys," he praised them, his chest constricting as he saw how happy that small statement caused both children to react. He cleared his throat before ushering them back into the sitting room. He wasn't able to mask his surprise when he saw Draco and Albus calming sitting together and having a conversation that made no such sense to him.

"Hiya Uncle Sebbus, Gran'pa Albus an' I was just pwaying a game," Draco informed him cheerfully as he turned and laid back against said man's torso.

It was just by chance that Severus had kept his composure, as it was his eyes seemed to be showing the shock and disbelief he was currently feeling. "Grandpa Albus?" He repeated slowly.

"Uh huh, he's not Merlin, so I ‘cided that he's gonna be my Gran'pa ‘stead," Draco informed him happily.

"And Albus agreed with that? Just like that?" Severus asked skeptical for obvious reasons. He and the other two boys couldn't have been gone for too long and to come back to his godson dare he say it; cuddling his mentor it was just too surreal for him. Never mind the fact that he was clearly seeing it with his own eyes.

"Yes, Draco is a very sweet child," Albus interjected as he ruffled the youngster's hair fondly.

Draco beamed at that compliment as he turned to look at the man. "Yes I very sweet," he agreed as he grabbed a piece of the man's beard and put it under his nose. "Look Nebille, Harry! I'm Merlin!" He stated before giggling.

While Neville only gave a small smirk and shake of his head the childish behavior, Harry's reaction was much different. Harry was watching with wide eyes, his green eyes flickering from awe, to jealously, to anguish. He turned his back to the duo, before he went to sit by the fireplace. He knew better then to ask or even draw attention to himself; he knew he wouldn't like the outcome if Draco got mad. After all he had loads of practice, dealing with his cousin Dudley.

"Harry, come away fwom there," Neville told him with a frown, his eyes flicking to the adults who seemed to be in their own conversation. Didn't they see how sad the green eye child was? Why didn't they go help him?

"Hawwy stay hewe Nebille, away fwom Dwaco," Harry told him softly as he started curling into himself.

"Why do you hafta go all the way over there?" Neville said his frown deepening as he walked quietly over to the small child.

Harry gave him a slight shrug. "Cause Gwan'pa Albus don't wike Hawwy anymore. And Hawwy don't want Dwaco might get mad," he told him softly.

"Why would he get mad? You didn't do anyfing," Neville said as he turned around to look at the grownups silently for a moment.

"No one needs a weason to huwt Hawwy. Dey always huwt Hawwy," He confessed him to him sadly.

"Not here, the Headmaster promised," Neville said firmly before he turned and made his way to the dark man. He still didn't know what to call him, but said man hadn't given him permission to call him anything he sure as heck wasn't about to ask. He gently reached forward and tugged on the man's cloak.

"Yes Mr. Longbottom?" Severus asked neutrally as he turned his eyes from Draco and Albus to look down at his other young charge.

"Can you pick Harry up?" Neville asked bluntly. He wasn't sure if Harry would actually liked that, but he was sure that his friend wanted to have a cuddled and the Headmaster was currently preoccupied so the dark man would have to do.

"I'm sorry, what did you say?" Severus said with a cough, unable to believe what the child just asked him.

"Harry is so very sad, and I fink he wants cuddles," Neville told him as he stared at the man unblinkingly. The dark man was going to pick up his friend.

"Okay and you think that he wants me to pick him up?" Severus said with a snort, even as his eyes landed on the small child sitting close to the fireplace. Once again, he felt his arms twitching, and he sighed wondering why the child was sad in the first place.

"Why is he sad?" Severus asked slightly stalling for time as he tried to catch Albus's eye, but the blasted man was sitting there playing peek-a-boo with Draco. Didn't the man know that Draco was passed that age where peek-a-boo was acceptable. Wait, was Draco giggling?

"Because nobody ever picked him up, like the Headmaster is doing to Dwaco," Neville said matter a factly.

Severus gave a curt nod, wanting to ask the child why he didn't seem to be suffering from the neglect. He knew that Neville's situation wasn't as dire as Harry's but it was also very unfair to compare.

"Alright," he said with another sharp nod as he squared his shoulders. Honestly this was just a child, a baby even. He never got this worked up over Draco, so why was Po-Harry so different?

"Member, you hafta be nice to Harry. He's so very afwaid of you," Neville cautioned him worriedly.

"I will Mr. Longbottom, not to worry," Severus said, nodding his head at the irony that a 5 year old child was cautioning him about how to behave with Harry. If he hadn't had that eye opener a half hour before this would be one here. Even the children had noticed, how could he be so judgmental?

No matter, no he could make up for it and he carefully headed towards the child. He took a seat on the floor, remembering when he had been this age that his father had looked huge compared to him and he didn't want him afraid of him right now. It was strange, he could even feel the eyes of Neville on him, and vowed to have a talk with the perceptive child. He wondered if the boy had kept that trait as he grew up. He cleared his mind as he settled into the floor across from Harry, preparing himself for the emerald eyes.

"Harry, why are you sitting over here all alone?" Severus asked softly.

Harry gave a small shrug as he hunched into himself. He knew that Neville had gotten the man to come over him but he didn't know why. He chanced a look at his friend, his eyes unconsciously straying to Draco who was relaxing against the old man's chest and he hunched even further into himself. "Hawwy just sad," he said softly.

Severus followed the boy's eyes for a moment; his emotions clear on his face. So Longbottom had been right once again, he would have to reward him with something. He turned back to the child. "Why are you sad Harry?"

"Cause Hawwy neber had dat," he said with a small huff. "Dwaco gets evewything," he said with a sad sigh.

Severus swallowed thickly at that. He had remembered screaming to himself, once Lily had left his life that Potter always got everything. How alike were they? He found himself wanting the child in his arms. Wanting the boy to want the comfort that he had for him, for him to accept it and cherish it.

"That's not true, you and Neville and Draco all get the same thing. If you want to have cuddles, you can have them too," Severus assured him.

"Wiff who? Hawwy don't haff a Gwan'pa Awbus, Hawwy don't even haff an Uncle Sebbus," He told the man with a small sniffle at he thought about the injustice that was his young life. "Or a mummy or a daddy, Hawwy has nuffin," he said knowing it was true and nothing the man could say to change it.

"You have a mum and dad, they just died Harry. But they will always be your parents, and nothing will ever change that. And Grandpa Albus is yours as well if you want him to be. As for Uncle Severus, I never did say what you can call me did I?" Severus said with a small smile that he usually only reserved for Draco. "You can call me that too if you want,"

Harry's eyes went wide at that admission, looking up from his long lashes to stare for once in the dark obsidian eyes. They didn't look angry, they looked full of an emotion he wasn't familiar with but the man looked almost warm. He didn't want to call him Uncle though, he was reminded of his horrible Uncle Vernon but it was nice that the man gave him permission.  

He gave a slight nod, maybe he could find a better name to call the man, and yeah he would do that! He blew out a breath before cautiously holding out his arms in the universal gesture that mean he wanted to be picked up. He was putting a lot of trust in this man. But he had a feeling that he wouldn't regret it, he just hoped that he wouldn't be denied.

Severus didn't even give it a half of a second, knowing that if he hesitated then Harry would notice and whatever it is that they just had would be shot to hell. He scooped the boy in his arms and held him close, acknowledging the sudden clenching feeling in his heart.  This was Lily's child and he had sought comfort with him, Severus. He swallowed thickly vowing to do right by Harry this time and hugged him tighter as he sealed in his promise.

Albus reached an arm out to Neville, not wanting the child to feel left out. hHe chancd a glance at Draco to find him still preoccupied with his beard. The old man wished he had a camera, his twinkling as he watched the dour man and the sweet boy cuddling on the floor.

"Very good job Neville," Albus told the small boy softly.

"Thank you sir," Neville replied with a proud smile on his face, chancing a look at Draco who he was happy to note didn't look jealous. Draco had everything and it would be awful if he got jealous over Harry getting a little bit of comfort.

Albus allowed the two to have a moment on the floor before he stood up with both boys in his arms on each of his sides. It wasn't difficult to carry them, even with his age. He cleared his throat as he walked to the door of the sitting room. He knew that it would go better if Severus would show the children where they were staying. He knew that Harry and Severus needed to bond, and what better way for the man to continue on  that trust by showing the child where he would staying for these next few weeks.

"'Severus, would you like to show Harry and the other boys where they will be staying?" Albus asked cheerfully, as he glanced at the Manor giving the man a moment to compose himself if he needed too.

"Of course Albus," Severus replied softly as he glanced down at the child in his arms, to note the boy was the most relaxed he had ever seen him awake.

And this was due to himself, he found himself horrified to realize that he felt a bit of pride on the inside. He stood up and made his way over to the old man, his eyes automatically searching out Draco.

He needed to make sure that his godson didn't have any ill effects after seeing his godfather comfort another child. That was one thing he knew he would have to be careful about. The situation was delicate, how was he supposed to provide each child with adequate care and the same amount of attention? He was only one person, and he found himself mentally scoffing.

 Maybe Poppy had been right in suggesting that he look for someone to come and help him. He frowned at her suggestion at the time as she had recommended Lupin but now he was having second thoughts. He shook his head, it was truly only the first day, and he had this. If he even needed help, the first day was just supposed to feel overwhelming right?

Clearing his thoughts he led the way up the stairs, wondering if the child would be able to go up and down the stairs without trouble or if he would need to keep a gate charm on them. He would revisit that thought at a later date, when he wasn't letting his emotions cloud his judgment. Shaking his head, he walked towards the second door to the right and opened the door.

He spelled the lights on, gently prodding Harry so he could look around the room. This was a large room in his manor, and he was sure it was perfect for the boys. In 3 different corners of the large room was a bed and a wardrobe that included cupboard to put their clothes. He narrowed his eyes at the cupboard as he was reminded of something that Albus had told him about Harry. He would need to explain to Harry that he was not to think that was his bed.

 Each bed had a different color scheme going on, one bed was set up in Gryffindor colors, another corner Slytherin and another color Ravenclaw. He hadn't explicitly told the house elves what colors to go with so he hoped that no one would fight over something. It did make it easy for him and them to remember which things were theirs. He watched as Albus walked to one of the beds and turn around and Severus quirked an eyebrow in question.

"Neville and Draco have decided that Harry gets to pick which corner he wants," Albus informed him with a small smile.

Harry turned to look at his friends in surprise and shock. He had not expected this and he would get to have a bed here too? It was almost unreal, but that thought didn't stop his beaming bright smile, his emerald eyes showing his happiness.

"Hawwy want da gween bed," Harry told them shyly.

"Can you say that I want the green bed?" Severus asked gently, hating the third person Harry referred to himself.

"You want da gween bed?" Harry said with a frown and a bit of confusion.

"No, the green bed is yours, I want you to say that you want it," Severus corrected so the child could understand.

"But Hawwy did say dat. Hawwy want da gween bed," he stated proudly as he wiggled in the man's arms so the man could put him down.

"Very well then Harry," Albus said as he held in a chuckle as Severus rolled his eyes, knowing that the point didn't get across to the child. But hey it was only the first day.

"Who picks next?" Severus asked as he set Harry on the green bed, nodding absently as the little boy asked if this was really all his.

"I want bwue," Draco told him softly before he looked to Neville worriedly. He wasn't sure if his friend wanted that color, and he didn't want to be selfish. His mummy said that nobody liked someone who didn't share and he didn't want to be that kind of person.

Neville grinned at Draco before he shook his head. "That's okay, I wanted the red ones. I'm gonna be a Gwyffindor like my daddy," he told him proudly.

"Good," Draco said as they too were set down and went to explore their part of the room.

Severus watched as Albus took out the unshrunk trunks and set them down at the foot of each bed before unshrinking them. He knew the boys might want something out of them, so he wouldn't begrudged him that. Severus turned his eyes to Harry watching as the little boy was still looking in awe. Their wardrobe had one robe in it for each of them, curtsey of Draco, and a couple of outfits.

He knew in a few days they would have to go to the store, it wasn't optional. The wall paper in their room was decorated in childish print of the sky and due to magical properties it currently resembled the time of day it was. He figured this would work in his favor as the children would be able to know when it was time for bed, with his help of course. The far section of his room, housed a few of Draco's toys, and toys the house elves found in the attic.

It would due for now, but each child would be getting their own things, he would make sure of it. He was distracted by a squeal coming from Draco as he had (with help from Albus) had opened his school trunk and had come out with a prize. It turned out to be the stuffed dragon that he had given him, when he had been four. Severus was shocked as he had no idea that Draco had brought the toy to school or even if he still had it.

"Dago," was the childish giggle that accompanied that, and Severus made his way to his godson with a smile.

"You still have that dragon; didn't your daddy buy you a new one?" Severus asked him curiously.

"He's at home but I like yours betters, ‘cause he's special," Draco informed him as he cuddled his dragon to his chest.

Albus's eyes immediately flicked to Neville, but the child only had a blank expression on his face that had the man frowning. He almost didn't want to look, but he turned to check on Harry to see the green eyed child putting on a brave face. Severus was right; Harry's face showed his every expression, which meant that they could still reach him at this age. Because he knew in school his face wasn't this open. He sighed not wanting to draw the attention away from Draco and Severus but feeling bad for the reactions of the other too.

"It's so good that you have a stuffed dragon Draco, that means that tomorrow you can help me and your godfather pick out two stuffed toys for both Neville and Harry. They don't have one," Albus told him, taking note of the way Severus's head snapped up; dark eyes searching out the other two boys.

"Gweat, I know just what Harry and Nebille will want," Draco told the man seriously.

Severus turned from each boy, his feet automatically going in the direction of Harry, only for him to freeze as he watched the blue eyes of Neville narrow.  He didn't want to choose, but Harry clearly needed the most assurance on this part. No matter, he would just have to work with it.

"Mr. Longbottom to me," Severus told him firmly, knowing that the child was conditioned to obey. He hated using that tone, but the child didn't need to hide his every emotion, it was unnatural and he didn't like it. He watched the child drag his feet, but the boy did come. Severus took a seat on Harry's bed and picked up both boys and set them in his lap.

"It's okay sir, I understand. I'm not your godson, so it's fine that I haff nothing," Neville told him quietly, even as his body language contradicted himself.

"That has nothing to do with anything," Severus admonished him quietly, not surprised that Harry didn't speak up. The child had been conditioned to stay silent and hidden.

"No diswespect sir, but it has everyfing to do with everyfing," Neville told him seriously,

"What kind of stuffed animals would you both like? The only reason you do not have one now was because I did not know Draco had his still. I would have bought both of you something at the same time," Severus asked them instead; when he realized he would not be getting through to the child. He had no desire to get angry, nor get the child angry. They would probably end up frightening Harry to death.

Hawwy poked his head up at Severus, looking in disbelief. "You get Hawwy somefing?"

"Yes, I will buy Harry and Neville both a stuffy," he promised.

Neville also gave him a skeptical look. "If this is true, then I would like a stuffed toad," he said boldly, wondering if this was going to come true or not.

"Okay and what kind of stuffed animal would you like Harry?" Severus asked him patiently.

"Hawwy don't know yet," Harry replied sadly.

"That's okay, you can pick it out when we go to the store," he said sincerely.

"Pwomise?" Harry asked pleadingly.

"I promise," Severus told him firmly. He glanced over at Albus, knowing this was one promise, he would definitely be keeping. He walked around the room, telling them about the books that they could read and continuing to promise clothes and toys to Harry and Neville and to Draco.

Harry knew that the Professor was going to keep his word, because he promised however he wanted something to hug now! He sighed as he turned back to look at Draco's stuffed dragon, suddenly hating the other boy for it. He didn't understand the emotion, only that he had felt it numerous times at the Durselys. He may not have known what it was, but the adults surely did; that was jealously.

As it was Albus happened to glance back at the green eyed child and sighed, turning his attention to Severus. "You might have to transfigure something, or we're going to have to deal with a little green eyed monster," he told the other man quietly.

"Who Harry?" Severus asked in a skeptical tone, but once he caught wind of the child he frowned. "He won't be a little monster, it's just going to cement the fact that he's second best," he said tightly already pulling out his wand.

"What do you mean?" Albus asked trying to see what the other man obviously saw.

"He had to deal with his cousin always getting toys and clothes and he didn't. It's not hard for him to assume that this will be any different. That's all he known, so you're transfiguration skills are better than mine. So if you can please spell a red stuffed snake that would be great," Severus said seriously as he pulled an empty vial out of his robe pocket and handing it to Albus.

"Of course Severus," Albus said with a frown as he understood just what the man had meant after the explanation. It still tore at his heart understandably. He transfigured the vial into a stuffed red snake, his eyes twinkling at the specific choice. He made sure that the spell would last until tomorrow before grabbing another empty vial and transfiguring this one into a stuffed toad.

"Mr. Longbottom, Harry; would you both come over here please," Severus called.

Neville grabbed Harry's hand before they slowly made their way to the men. He could see Draco looking over curiously so he knew at least that his friend had no idea what was going on as well.

"Until tomorrow these are your stuffys. Just until we can buy you forever ones," Severus told them as he handed each child their specific animal.

Harry stared at the toy before back at the dark man. "Dis Hawwys'?"

"Yes this is yours," Severus told him quietly.

"Fank you sir," Neville piped in quietly before turning to whisper in his friend's ear.

"Hawwy say fank you too," Hawwy said with a bright smile.

"You're both very welcome," Albus replied kindly in return giving Severus a concerned look.

Severus didn't meet the man's eye, needing to process this; he was definitely going to get rid of the third person. It was cute at first but now after knowing what the boy had been through it was heartbreaking to hear.He wasn't sure how much time they spent in the boy's room, only that one child was starting to get restless in his arms.  He had dealt with his godson who was still happily jabbering to Albus on the one on one attention to know what this was and he gestured to the other man to get his attention.

"What is it Severus?" Albus asked curiously as he made his way over to the man.

"I need to show the boys the rest of the manor," Severus told him. "Like the backyard, and my room and what will be their playroom," he informed him.

"Sounds good Severus," Albus replied as he followed the man out of the room so they could finish the boy's house tour.

Chapter End Notes:
What did you think? No flames