Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
I am so sorry, the shopping didn't make its way into this chapter, too much came up.I feel like there is too much dialogue..idk. But guess what? Someone has made their appearance! And I'm so excited!
Chapter 6

The next morning the occupants of the Manor woke up at different times, mostly due to how restful sleep they had gotten in terms of the boys, It was with this that Harry popped his head up from his little bed before he padded his way into the ensuite lavatory to use it. He was feeling so very good; he had never woken up by himself before. He had always been yelled and pulled at and he liked this change very much.

He giggled to himself as he finished and headed out of the room and carefully downstairs. He could feel the stillness of the house, but it didn't bother him. He liked the quiet and it was with that thought that the little boy made his way into the kitchen. He was surprised to find that the Professor wasn't already up, not realizing that taking care of 3 impressionable toddlers that he had been exhausted without even being aware of it.

He smiled happily to himself wanting to do something for the man that had decided to take him in. He could have left him with his relatives and Harry was just glad that he hadn't. He wanted to show him how much he appreciated that he kept him here with Draco and Neville. Clapping happily to himself he started poking into the cupboards and drawers trying to find everything so he could make breakfast.

In-between finding a cooling cabinet, he heard a small pop and he turned around with a gasp. He saw the house elf Missy staring at him with wide eyes and he remembered from Neville and Draco that she was nice. And he also knew that it wasn't nice to be scared of someone who hadn't done anything to him. Not to mention he knew what it was like for someone not to like you because of how you looked. He gave her a small smile wondering just what she wanted.

"Young Master, what are you doing? Was young master Harry hungry?" Missy asked him in confusion. She could see no other reason to why he was looking through the cupboards.

"Yes Missy. Hawwy wanted to make bweakfast for Dwaco and Nebille and the P'fessor," Harry told her shyly.

"Young master Harry, that's my job to provide for you," Missy told him her ears drooping as she was unsure how he may take that.

"But...but Hawwy wanna show da P'fessor dat he can cook and stuff. Hawwy want him to know dat he can keep him awound," Harry said with a frown.

Missy was naturally concerned at that, but she had been warned from her master that two of his charges had been hurt at their former home. She gave a soft nod, not up to refusing him at this moment. "You can help Missy then," she said quietly.

"Fanks Missy, Hawwy won't wet you down," Harry promised her seriously. Harry bounced around the kitchen happily as he got to work doing what the house elf had told him to do. He was over the moon at being able to help.

Back upstairs Neville was in the process of getting dressed, his mind on autopilot at this point. He wanted to sleep in a bit more but he still didn't know the rules for this house. And he knew deep down that the Professor was a stickler for rules. He also knew that something about the man was off. He knew the Professor was nice and safe sometimes, but he got this strange feeling when he was around him and he didn't like it.

He guessed that added to the fact when the man wouldn't even address him right. He shook the thought away, as his eyes glanced over to find Harry's bed curtains open, his bed empty. He frowned wondering where the small boy was. He wasn't worried per say but he didn't want him hurt. Leaving Draco sleeping he trotted out the room glancing down the hallways for a moment wondering just where on earth the raven haired child was.

As he moved to turn to the left the door a few spaces down from him opened and out walked the Professor. Neville stayed quiet, not wanting to draw attention to himself which seemed to be working as the man in question simply walked passed him. He gave a quiet sigh of relief, only to freeze when the man turned his head sharply in his direction.

"Good morning Mr. Longbottom, what are you doing standing in the hallway?" Severus asked him, thoroughly confused at the child's behavior. Not to mention he hadn't even noticed him until he heard him sigh in relief. Furthermore was the child yet again afraid of him? Hadn't they fixed all of that yesterday?

"I was just heading downstairs sir," he told him quietly. "And good morning to you too,"

"Are the other two boys up?" Severus asked him curiously.

"Yes sir, Harry is up but Dwaco is still sweeping," Neville told him softly.

"Alright, I will see to Draco, and meet you both downstairs," Severus told him before he disappeared into the lavatory in the hall.

Neville shook his head before he ran down the steps, not wanting to run into the man yet again. He made his way into the kitchen only to freeze in surprise as he saw Harry helping Missy put things on the table. He said nothing, only shaking his head as he went to take a seat.

"Good morning Missy, and Harry," Neville chirped.

"Hiya Neville, Hawwy hewped make bweakfast," Harry told him proudly.

"Good job Harry," Neville said before he smiled. "Hey Harry can you twy somefing for me?"

"Twy what?" Harry asked curiously.

"Say everyfing I say. I hewped make bweakfast," Neville said slowly.

Harry stared at him in confusion as he knew for a fact that Neville hadn't helped make breakfast he did. He didn't know what the other boy was doing but Neville hadn't steered him wrong yet so he gave a firm nod.

"I hewped make bweakfast," Harry repeated slowly.

"Good job Harry, you sure did," Neville said brightly.

"Why you make Hawwy say dat?" Harry asked curiously.

"Because you're not ‘posed to say Harry when you talk about yoursewf, you ‘posed to say I," Neville said happily.

"Oh," Harry said as he thought about that, and he would need to think more on it later. He was pulled from his musings as Missy quickly ushered him into his chair and he gave a bright grin as the elf in question set a plate of cut up fruit and pancakes in front of him. He was so happy he gave a quiet squeal before he started to eat his food.

Neville figured he should wake for the Professor but the man wasn't here, and when he did get here he didn't want to be watched like he had at dinner last night. He had felt the dark man's gaze on him and he hadn't liked it. If he was being honest with himself, the man was starting o creep him out. Every time he got close to him, he felt uncomfortable, and he didn't know why.

 It had been a while since he had this feeling, but once he started actively thinking on it, he remembered from his dreams that something bad had happened to him. He knew his parents were in the hospital and he knew that he was the reason for them being there. He shook the thoughts away, before he turned back to his breakfast. Now was not the time to think about that, now was the time to eat. As he took his fork to his breakfast he could hear Draco's voice coming down the steps and he quickly turned his face into the plate not wanting to make eye contact.

Severus walked into the kitchen with Draco in tow, smiling softly at the green eyed child who had lifted his head up to smile at him. He was very happy that Harry was eating, and that he didn't need to press him to eat like Poppy had made him earlier in the week. He would have given a nod to Longbottom but the boy had his face so close to the plate he had no way of even catching his eye. He shook his head and took a seat, grabbing the Daily Prophet to read while he drank his coffee.

"Dey move!" Harry squealed once Severus had lifted up the paper.

"Yup, it's very cool," Draco replied happily before he turned to eat.

Severus listened to the child's happy chatter, content at the moment as he read his paper. It was interesting before he would have loved the silence but he found the child's happy garbling not at all annoying. He nodded to himself, as he turned back to his reading.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~'

Back at the castle Remus hurried towards the Headmaster's office, the Marauders' map clutched in his hands. He had meant to take care of this earlier, but then he had been sidetracked by the holiday break and then Harry getting hurt in the potions. Now he had no excuse and though all the students were gone he needed to discuss something with Albus immediately.

He didn't notice in his frazzled state that the gargoyle guarding the man's office leapt away when it saw him. Remus wasn't thinking of anything as he rushed up the steps and busted into the man's office. His face flushed a moment later and he gave him a sheepish look as he realized how rude this just might have been.

"Remus? Is there something wrong?" Albus asked frown marring his old face. He had been getting ready to head over to Severus's Manor so he could go with the man to take the boys shopping for necessities; and he was more than looking forward to this trip.

"I'm not sure, but there might be," Remus stated quietly.

"How so?" Albus asked with a sigh, as he realized this might be something important if the man in front of him was looking more than a little frazzled.

"A few days ago, Harry approached me with this particular map in my hand. Apparently a rather peculiar name has been on the map, and he's only just noticed it. But before we could even think to bring this to you, Harry had an accident in potions. And I think it might all be related," Remus told him and by the end he himself was frowning.

"What name might that be?" Albus asked softly, his body unconsciously tensing. Had someone got into the castle without him being unawares yet again?

"Peter Pettigrew," Remus stated bitterly.

"But Peter died 13 years ago Remus, you know that," Albus said as he gave the man a weird look. Was Remus feeling well? Maybe the stress of Sirius trying to get into the castle and to Harry was too much for him. He honestly hoped not, Remus had already had dealt so much in his young life.

"I know that but maybe we were wrong. The map clearly shows his name and there's no way it malfunctioned," he said quickly. He had had remembering charming it when he had been in school, so it could not show a lie. Even if someone used Polyjuice the map would know, he had made sure of it.

"Maybe the map lied?" Albus questioned delicately.

"The map never lies!" Remus hissed out before he straightened up. "I'm sorry Headmaster, but trust me when I said that this particular piece of parchment is telling the truth," he stated quietly, slightly ashamed at his outburst but not willing to let this go.

"Alright then; is his name still coming up now?" Albus asked him, as he stroked his beard thoughtfully.

"Not at the moment.  But if I'm not mistaken Harry told me earlier this year that his friend Ronald has a small rodent as his pet. And if my guess is correct which I'm starting to think it is, then we maybe have all been fooled these past 13 years," Remus said before he fell into the chair as his own words repeated themselves in his head.

"What does Scabbers have to do with anything?" Albus asked with a confused look. This was all starting to get more and more confused.

"Peter was a rat Animagus," Remus said with a grim smile. "Harry informed me that Ronald's rat is missing a paw," He added.

"And all they could find of Peter was a finger," Albus finished before he gasped. "Dear Merlin!"

"Do you believe me Headmaster?" Remus asked quietly almost afraid to hope at this point.

"Hard not to; especially when the evidence has been in my face for quite some time now," the old man said with a shake of his head.  

"What do you mean Headmaster? You've only seen the rat for 3 years, and you haven't known what to look for," Remus pointed out, just in case the man tried to take the blame for this.

"Not necessarily, I've seen Scabbers or rather Peter for the last 5 years before that. He belonged to Percival first," Albus told him softly.

Remus gasped unable to speak for a moment, and only to give a weak nod. He didn't know what to think if he was being honest. What the hell had Peter been thinking? Not to mention, a grown man living with children, boys even he was very worried and he knew when this got out, everyone else would be too.

Albus sighed before he turned to the man before he stood up. He needed to get to the bottom of this, and he didn't want Peter to get wind of this. It would be nice if he had been privy to this information sooner but the Marauders unfortunately didn't use that common sense. If this story which he had a feeling was true, he could wager a guess that it was Peter that Sirius was truly after and not Harry.

"You're too involved, I will floo Alaster and Kingsely and Amelia and we will go and retrieve Peter and question him. You cannot come with us, your emotions will cloud your judgment and if this turns out to be truth, we don't want Sirius to suffer any longer from our carelessness," Albus told him firmly.

"Yes sir," Remus said tightly knowing the man was correct before he sighed. He didn't want to just sit around while Albus took care of it, he should have known Sirius would never betray them. He almost didn't want to hope, because he knew everything good in his life had a way of disappearing or dying. He shook that thought away, they were going to get him he was sure of it.

"What do I do then?" Remus asked quietly, not looking forward to going back to sitting in his quarters alone. He shouldn't be alone, not in this moment.

"I need you to go to Snape Manor and tell Severus something has come up. And that I will be joining you all for lunch," Albus replied firmly, always one to see what they didn't want him too. He too believed that Remus didn't need to be alone at this moment.

Remus's frown deepened then. "Headmaster, that's not possible. Severus would never allow that," he said quietly.

"I need you to go there and tell him what is going on. Let him know the basics of it and that I will explain when I come back," he said before he reached into his desk and grabbed a piece of paper before handing it to Remus.

"Sir?" he asked in confusion as he looked at the offered slip of paper.

"Read that, his Manor is under the Fidelius," Albus explained quickly.

"Alright," he said as he read the paper, never one to truly doubt the Headmaster, especially after all the man had done for him.

"Remus it will work out in the end, Amelia and I will make sure of it," Albus stated kindly.

"Of course Headmaster, after this is all said and I done I want to talk to you about Harry. Poppy isn't being very forthcoming but I know for a fact that my cub not to mention the other two boys are not in the infirmary," Remus said calmly, looking directly at those blue eyes. He wasn't sure what was going on, but he had a bad feeling about this.

"What makes you say that?" Albus asked his eyebrows furrowed together. He had double checked to make sure that Poppy's transfiguration would hold.

"I'm assuming the things lying on the beds are golems. They look fine but they have no scent," he said frowning. It had been a horrifying experience until he had figured it out himself.

"Go to the Manor, I promise everything will be explained soon," Albus said lightly, he should have remembered about Remus's nose. No matter this would work, he knew that Harry could use more positive attention. Not to mention give Severus a break every now and again.

Remus sighed; aware he would get no answers now. He only hoped Severus wouldn't curse him. He shook his head as he wiped the map before folding it up and putting it in his cloak, and making his way to the fireplace. "Snape Manor!" He stated clearly before he disappeared into the green flames.

Severus heard the floo from where they had been sitting at the kitchen table eating breakfast.  He moved his paper to smile at the boys. "Grandpa Albus is here," he informed them, watching in amusement as Draco jumped off the chair to run into the floo room. Severus followed at a quick pace as Neville and Harry had surprisingly ran behind Draco.

"Albus we were wondering why you took...," Severus trailed off as his lips turned down into a sneer as he found his guest wasn't the old man as he hoped.

"Severus, I'm sorry for coming unannounced the headmaster made me," Remus said apologetically, his eyes never leaving the small dark hair child who was staring at him quietly.

"Why would he do that?" Severus hissed out, that just didn't make sense. He knew in that moment that something had clearly happened, why else would Albus send Lupin here?

"It's not for young ears," he said quickly before his eyes narrowed. "What in Merlin happened here?" He asked in bewilderment as he realized just what the hell he was seeing.

"You are not blind Lupin and I will not be discussing anything with you," Severus said with a frown.

"Who you?" Draco chirped in, ever the curious one. His question, broke the slight tension that had appeared when Remus had flooed over.

"I'm Professor Lupin, I work at Hogwarts with Severus," Remus stated kindly as he looked at the small blonde boy in wonder. He knew this was Draco Malfoy, he just didn't know how or more importantly why.

"Oh," Draco said before he lost interest and glanced at the fireplace, and didn't see the person he had been expecting. "Wan' Gran'pa Albus," he whined out.

"Draco, do not whine, he will come," Severus said with a sigh as he continued to glare at the man. He wanted him gone from his own, but he wasn't sure how to do that. Especially since Albus had personally sent him here, he knew something had come up. Problem was he didn't know what so he was technically in the dark and he didn't like it. Severus took a seat, as the boys lost interest, watching as Neville took a seat next to him, while Harry surprisingly stayed where he was.

Harry was looking at the new comer in awe. He knew he should be wary of the man but he didn't. He didn't know why but he felt safe in the man's presence, almost as if there was something very familiar about him. He didn't know what, but he recognized this man as family. "Hawwy know you?" he said with a frown as he couldn't remember.

Remus's eyes widened as he took a seat on the floor to look at the child.  "Yes, I was friends with your mummy and daddy," he told him softly.

"What you name?" Harry asked after a moment.

"I'm Remus, but you called me something else," Remus said sadly as he looked at the child in front of him. He wasn't blind he could clearly see the overly thin child in front of him, it couldn't be healthy. He also knew he wouldn't be getting any answers until Albus himself came.

Harry titled his little head for a moment as he stared at the man in confusion. "What I call you?" he asked when it became apparent he couldn't remember.

Remus swallowed thickly, knowing it wasn't the child's fault he couldn't remember and gave a small smile. "It doesn't matter Harry," he said quickly not wanting to bring up a name that would invoke memories that were already too close to the surface for his liking.

"Kay, I just call you Wemus den," he decided happily as he gave the man a wave.

"Good," Remus said softly, as he gave the boy a smile of his own.

"As touching as this all is, it still doesn't explain just what the bloody hell you are doing here," Severus hissed out angrily all of a sudden. Why had Harry had easily accepted the other man when he himself had to work for it? Was this jealously he was feeling? He didn't care for the emotion and he knew without a doubt that he didn't like it.

"P'fessor, you cursed," Neville told him quietly. "That's not very good," he added.

Severus turned his gaze to the child next to him before he blanked his face and gave the child a small nod. "So I did Mr. Longbottom," he conceded.

Neville narrowed his eyes at the man his little fist's curling up for a moment before he frowned and deflated. He didn't want to be angry; he didn't even want to talk about this now. He just, he didn't want to be somewhere the man obviously didn't want him to be. He swallowed thickly as he slid off the couch.

Severus gave the child a look of confusion. He had seen the anger but just as quickly it had gone and he didn't like it. And he wanted to know just why that all was. What was going on?

"I'm going upstairs, if you'll excuse me?" Neville said quietly already walking out the room.

"Mr. Longbottom, we have a guest," Severus replied casually, knowing that something was the matter, just not sure what it was. Hadn't he been fine just a moment ago? He also knew that the boy wouldn't leave if he knew he was being rude.

Neville froze, just as the Professor had thought, his face taking on a red tinge. He didn't want to stay in here; he knew the dark man probably knew that. Why was he making it difficult? He didn't understand him, and it was starting to make him uneasy. Why did he still call him Mr. Longbottom? The little boy couldn't explain it, but he felt an aura of darkness surrounding the man hence why he called him the dark man.

"That's alright Severus," Remus said easily as he gave the child a smile. "Hello Neville,"

Neville turned his eyes to the newcomer. "Hello P'fessor," he said politely.

"I knew your parents too," Remus said kindly trying to keep the child at ease.

"Really?" Neville asked before he could stop himself.

"I did, Frank and Alice were some dear friends of mine," he replied with a sad smile.

Neville's eyes lit up at that, when the new Professor had stated his parent's names! That meant he really did know them and wasn't just saying it. "Will you tell me ‘bout them sometime?" He asked hopefully.

"Of course, and that goes for you too Harry," Remus promised, his eyes turning to the emerald eyed child.

"Do you mind P'fessors if I go up to my room?" Neville asked softly.

"Don't you wish to stay down here? You know that your Grandpa Albus is coming," Severus told him quietly.

"Yes I know, and I'll be sure to come back down when he comes. I do not wish to be down here, when you yourself do not want me here," Neville stated bitterly, his tone going back to his overly formal tone.

"What you talking about Nebille? Uncle Sebbus does so want you here," Draco told stubbornly as he turned to give his friend a glare. How dare he say that about his godfather!  

"No he doesn't Dwaco, he's only pwetending to want me here," Neville told him quietly.

Severus took that moment to break into their conversation. "Where in the world did you get that impression from Mr. Longbottom?" He asked clearly confused at this point.

"That right there sir, you won't even call me by my name. It's Neville did you know?" Neville stated tightly before shaking his head angrily. "You call Dwaco and Harry by their names but not me. What did I do to you?" He bit out tearfully before he couldn't take it anymore. He sniffled before he turned away and ran up the steps.

Remus was left staring at Severus with a frown on his face. He hadn't been deaf, and he hadn't been her ethat long to notice. Though now that it was pointed out; it wasn't too difficult to understand just why the child had felt that way.  Judging by the way that the Slytherin was looking he could wager that he didn't know that as well.

"Severus would you like me to go speak with him?" Remus asked, unsure of just what to do in this situation.

"No, you can stay with Draco and Harry, I'm sure they would love to hear stories about your time at Hogwarts," Severus told him briskly. Inside his mind was reeling he had no idea the boy had felt that way, and furthermore he hadn't even fully been aware that he was doing that. He sighed before he made his way out the floo room and up the stairs.

He vaguely noted that with the way Harry and Neville ran to get away from things he would be getting quite a lot of exercise. He sighed before he headed into the boy's room, his eyes automatically zoning in on the child who for some reason was standing in the corner. Like Harry he was crying quietly, only he was happy to note the boy wasn't totally silent like he knew Harry had been.

He walked into the room a bit further, his eyes only on the child, which is why he noticed when the boy's shoulder's suddenly tensed. He knew then the boy knew that he was in the room with him.

"Neville, can you please make your way over to your bed please? We need to talk," Severus told him, deliberately using the child's first name now.

"No diswespect sir, but we do not," Neville replied quietly as he gave a soft sniffle, refusing to turn around. He didn't want to face the man; he didn't want the man to give him fake excuses.

"I beg to differ, and I'm not asking you to come here I am telling you. To me Mr. Longbottom," Severus said tightly, getting annoyed at being ignored. He often reverted back to their last names because that was how he had addressed them for the last 3 years. Unlike with Harry when he called him by his last name he knew who he was referring too.

On the other hand, he could see where the child was coming from, he had remembered feeling exactly like that in regards to Albus. The man had often called the Gryffindors by their first name, but the Slytherins, or especially him he was called by his last name. He shook the memory away as he turned to the child who had finally made his way over to him. He could see in the bright blue eyes, the tear tracks on his slightly plump face and he felt an emotion wash over him. Why was he feeling shame? It was an honest mistake; he hadn't even known he had done it.

"I want to ‘pologize sir, I shouldn't haff yelled or ran out the room," Neville said sadly.

"That's fine; I want you to know I wasn't aware that I wasn't calling you by your first name. You don't mean any less to me then Draco or Harry," he told him gently.

Neville gave a soft shrug, unsure how he felt about that apology. The man should have known, he was the grown up! He sniffled again, wanting to wipe his nose, but he had no such tissue and he knew wiping it on his arm was forbidden. "That's fine P'fessor,"

"It's not, but it will be," Severus promised him as he pulled out his handkerchief and helped the child blow his nose. "I will try to be better alright?"

"Okay," Neville said softly as he blew his nose.

Once his nose was clean, Neville very carefully leaned his head on the man's leg. He had never initiated comfort from this man before, and the man had never actually given it to him if he was being honest. There was a slight wrongness he was still feeling but if he ignored that, he could almost pretend that this man really did care for him, maybe even love him. It was rare for the little boy to pretend that he had loving parents knowing that reality would always come crashing in. But in this moment he felt right, and gave a quiet sigh.

Severus was sure that the moment the child had laid his head on his knee that something has changed. He rubbed the boy's back as he shook his head, knowing he had messed up again. But hopefully all of this would mean that little problem with Neville had been resolved. He just needed to remember to call him by his first name, a simple thing really.

Back downstairs Remus was currently in the process of playing the wizarding version of airplane with the two boys. When Severus had left the room, he had been at a loss at what to do and had panicked slightly. That was until Draco requested that he please fly them around. He had done it bemused at first but then he saw the appeal, and had loved it when Harry had given a loud laugh.

It went without speaking that Harry had dealt with something terrible. 5 year olds boys aren't very good at articulating something if they wish to do something else. So the only thing he got out of them was that Harry's Uncle had hurt him. Which was more than enough for his wolf to raise his shackles and he didn't like it. He glanced at his watch, surprised to find that a half hour had passed since he had gotten here. And it wasn't the first time that he wondered just how Albus was faring at the Ministry. He hadn't even gotten a Patronus. Maybe that saying was right, when it said no news is good news.

"Why don't we all take a break for a little bit?" Remus asked after he had levitated Draco once more.

"We can go pway outside if you wanna rest in here," Draco told him innocently.

"I do not think that is the best idea, your godfather won't like that. Especially since he didn't say you could do that," Remus said with a grin, seeing through that plan easily.

Draco huffed before he pouted. "Fine,"

"Hawwy wanna welax too," Harry chirped out as he looked at Draco before he closed his eyes tightly.

"Harry what are you doing?" Remus asked, getting the shock of his life when a red stuffed snake suddenly popped into existence and into the child's hand. He could only stare at the child as he hugged the stuffed creature tight. In all of this, he could hear some loud steps coming down the stairs and he quirked an eyebrow at Severus's loud entrance.

"Harry! You're snake just disappeared fwom your bed!" Neville told him worriedly. He and the Professor had been dare he say it cuddling when they turned to hear a small pop and Harry's stuffie was gone. Then the Professor picked him up and hurried down stairs to see where it went.

"No it's not, Hawwy is hugging it, ‘cause Hawwy love it so much," he said excitedly.

"Lupin, tell me you summoned the toy," Severus stated slowly as he came further into the room.

"I didn't do it Severus. Harry stood in the middle of the room, shut his eyes and the next thing I know the toy was there," Remus explained, still slightly flustered at what he had witnessed.

"Amazing," Severus said as he set Neville on the floor and made his way to Harry. "Very good job Harry," he praised him remembering what Albus had said.

"Fank you," Harry said shyly, still trying to get used to getting praised. He knew that unlike his relatives' house, doing magic was a good thing and it even made the man happy. And everyone knew that the Professor didn't usually smile and Harry liked it when he did.

"That was very impressive Harry," Remus added after  seeing what the man was doing.

Draco was nodding as well, though his eyes were once more looking forlorn at the fireplace. The old man was still not here and he didn't know why that was. He was trying really hard not to worry but he couldn't help it.

"Uncle Sebbus, where is gran'pa Albus? What if he's huwt?" Draco asked softly.

"Albus is fine Draco I can assure you," Severus said before he turned his eyes to Lupin.

"He really is fine Draco, he's just at the Ministry right now," Remus said with a sigh.

"Why is he dere?" Draco wanted to know.

"He's taking care of something that has to do with Hogwarts," Remus replied easily.

"Oh," Draco said easily believing that before he turned to his friends. "Wanna go pway?" He asked hopefully.

"Yeah, I wanna," Neville said as shyly gave the dark man a smile before he grabbed Harry and Draco's hand and pulled them out of the room, leaving the Professors alone.

Severus took that as the invitation it was and turned to face the man. "Just what is so important that Albus had to go to Ministry today of all days?"

"I'm not supposed to tell you," Remus said quietly as he shook his head.

"Would you like some tea Lupin?" Severus said cordially, changing the subject quickly.

"Only if it isn't spiked," Remus said dryly.

"Of course not, I know I'll have my answers as soon as Albus sees fit to arrive here," Severus said ever the Slytherin. He wanted to know now but he wasn't about to beg, that wasn't his nature, which is why he often wondered just why he followed after the Dark Lord. That was getting totally off topic and he shook the thought away turning back to the conversation and snapping his fingers for his house elf.

Remus carefully picked up his tea cup, and took a sip. He wasn't worried about the existent of potions as his sensitive nose picked up on nothing being amissed. He sighed, trying hard not to let his thoughts stray to where Albus had gone and what this might mean for Sirius. He turned to the man across from him, noting that his expression actually looked approachable for once. And he knew it all had to do with the children, they were all very sensitive to more things at this age then they had been before.

"How were you elected to take care of the children?" Remus asked quietly.

"I have the most protected Manor apparently. It wasn't much of a choice, but now that they're all here, I wouldn't change a thing," Severus said in a moment of truth.

"That's good," Remus said slightly surprised but nonetheless thrilled to hear it. "Earlier in this year something was brought to my attention about Harry. Am I to assume that you and Albus have figured it all out?" He asked speaking slightly in code as they had no charms up to prevent the boys from listening in.

"Indeed, his relatives are currently not being dealt with. But they are aware that we are aware of the situation and that puts them on edge. They will get what's coming to them, and no less. Especially what they did to Lily's child," Severus hissed out.

"I see," Remus said quietly and he did. "Did you ever catch the address to their house?" He asked slyly.

"They live in Surrey,#4 Privet Dr. I believe," Severus asked before his eyes narrowed as he saw the man suddenly get up.

"Thank you for the tea Severus, do give Albus my regards and tell him I've headed back to the castle," Remus said cordinally.

"You will do no such thing," Severus sneered out as he gave the man an incrediolous glare.

"What are you talking about Severus?" Remus asked out in an innocent tone.

"Cease with that tone, do I look like an imbecile? You will not be paying his relatives a visit, I don't care how you or your wolf feels. The Durselys are mine, not yours," Severus bit out angrily.

"They hurt my cub, I will not let them away with that," Remus said his cool façade breaking through in his anger.

"Rest assured they will not be getting away with anything," Severus told him darkly.

"Of that I have no doubt, once I get through with them," Remus growled.

"Enough gentlemen, this is neither the time nor place," Albus told them in a firm voice, having flooed over in the middle of their argument.

"Albus, when did you get here?" Severus asked him quietly.

"A few moments ago," Albus told them before he was looking over at them over his eye glasses. "You will leave the Durselys to me," he added with a steel tone that he rarely ever used.

He was rewarded when both Severus and Remus flinched, but it needed to be done. He didn't need the two sensible ones going out and doing something stupid. They had 3 boys depending on them whether they knew it or not. And in Remus's case, he had a man who had suffered in Azkaban for 13 years. Thanks to Remus's tip and Hagrid's slip about a black dog near the forbidden forest.

 He had stunned Sirius and then they all flooed to the Ministry.  He shook his head at the injustice the poor man had been dealt, hoping that he would be able to move on from those horrors. Shaking the thought away he turned back to the two men who were giving him expressions varying on concern.

"Albus are you alright?" Severus asked carefully.

"I am," the old man promised him. Thankfully, with Alaster and Amelia had made sure that the process go by way smoother then he had hoped. It had only taken an hour at the most, and he was definitly in Amelia's debts that was for sure.

"What happened at the Ministry? And where is the rat?" Remus asked him tightly.

"Peter was given the kiss in the courtroom, after the trial was over," Albus told him quietly.

"What about Sirius, what of him?" Remus breathed out, almost inaudibly.

"He was compensated 75,000 galleons for every year he spent wrongly convicted. He has gained back his accounts and all his properties and he was awarded the 3rd class of Merlin," Albus informed him softly.

"How did he take all of this? Does he know that I..." he trailed off here unsure of how to phrase his question.

"He does know of your involvement and he was adamant about seeing you, but he's not up for visitors at this time. He is currently in the Hogwarts infirmary being seen by a few specialists from St. Mungo's trying to assess where he is mentally," Albus told him.

Severus who had been silent up until then was looking at the old man in disbelief and a little bit of worry. "Are you telling me that Black is out of prison?" He asked in a shocked tone.

"Yes, Sirius had been wrongfully convicted of betraying the Potters and all other crimes against him. He wasn't a death eater, it was Peter," Remus told him quickly as he dropped his head into his hands trying to process all of this.

"I see," Severus stated in a choked tone. Never in a million years would he have thought something like this would be possible. He shook his head, he was starting to feel threatened. He knew that Black would be after Harry soon enough but he didn't want to let that child go. He would not worry himself now and turned back to the old man.

"Severus, this doesn't change a thing," Albus told him slowly.

But Severus was through listening. "Boys, your Grandfather is here to take you all shopping," he called, refusing to reply to the man's words. He knew they would be forced to change the subject and that was what he wanted.

Sure enough the sound of little feet was soon heard as they all came running into the sitting room and attached themselves to the old man.

"I thought you went away forever!" Draco stated dramatically.

"I knew you would be back, but I was worried somefing happened to you. You were late," Neville asked softly.

"I know, I'm sorry I'm late, but I'm here now and so that means we get to go on our shopping trip," Albus told them, trying to get them to smile.

"Hawwy come too?" Harry asked softly.

"Of course my boy," Albus told him firmly.

"Wemus come too?" Harry asked after a moment.

"If he wants too, it would make it easier on Severus and I. Especially since I'm worried about each of the boys getting the same amount of attention," Albus stated, the end of his explanation turning to Severus.

"It's fine with me," Severus said slowly, still trying to wrap his head around the previous conversation. He would have to just live in the now and he held his arms out to the green eyed child. "I'll take Harry," he said quickly before Lupin could say anything.

Remus gave the man a peculiar look, recognizing the jealously in the motion and having to hide a smile to himself. This was definitely a good sign he knew that. He could see how Draco had wrapped himself up in the old man's beard and he knew without saying anything that he wasn't moving. He didn't want Neville to feel like he was leftover, so he reached his arms out for the child.

"You're with me Neville," he told the child.

Neville nodded as he made his way to the man, only to freeze after he touched him. He looked at the man curiously, a sorrowful expression crossing his young face.

"Neville, what's the matter?" Remus asked the child softly.

"Somefing inside of you, huwts you," Neville said sadly before he climbed on the man's lap and wrapped his arms around the man's neck. He couldn't describe it, like Severus he felt something on the man. It wasn't scary per say, this feeling on Remus was sad. And he didn't like that the man felt that way so he would try his hardest to make him feel better.

Remus shared a look with the Headmaster and Severus, unsure of what to make of that, he didn't say anything as he stood up and adjusted the child more in his arms.

"We will be speaking of this later, this is not the first such instance," Severus told him peers quietly.

Albus only gave a nod as he picked up Draco. "Where are we going?"

"Who here has been to the muggle section of Manchester?" Severus asked before he grabbed the floo powder and he and Harry disappeared into the green flames.

 

Chapter End Notes:
What did you guys think? I hoped you liked it, I'm loving this story, who knew a deaging flick was so much fun.