Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Story Notes:

Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter.

A special thanks to The Lonely God With a Box for beta'ing my story.

A/N: This story is from a prompt by Scorpia that I saw on Potions and Snitches website.

Warning/Triggers: This story will contain implied non-con. Nothing Graphic. This is an Alternate Universe story. There will be some bits that will follow canon, but the story as a whole will not be canon.

Chapter 1

“Listen, it has to be when we are leaving the station.”

“And you're sure he will be alone?”

“Yes. He is always the last one to leave the train. He thinks he's so special. Well, I'll show him.”

“Are you sure about this?”

“Absolutely.”

“Because, once we start, there is no stopping. No changing your mind later.”

“I'm positive. I want Harry Potter gone.”

“As you wish.”

The man nodded and walked out of the room.

__0000_________0000__

“Mr. Malfoy, come with me.”

Draco looked up from the black leather sofa he was sitting on in the Slytherin common room. Standing at the portrait entrance was his Head of House and godfather.

“Yes, sir,” Draco responded, getting up and following his godfather towards his office.

Once both wizards were in Snape's office, Severus motioned for Draco to sit down.

“I've received an owl from your father,” Severus began. “Something has come up and you will be spending the summer with me.”

Draco liked that. He'd always loved staying with his godfather. Yes, Severus Snape was a strict disciplinarian, but he'd always treated Draco fairly. Ever since he was younger, Severus always made time for Draco.

“Great,” Draco smiled.

“You will take the train back to King's Cross, and I'll pick you up from there.”

“Yes, sir.” Draco got up and left the office.

Things were surely looking up for the Malfoy heir. It seemed like nothing could go wrong. Draco walked back to his dorm with a smile on his face.

__00____00__

Severus watched his godson leave his office. To say he was a little surprised at Dragon's reaction about staying with him for the summer was an understatement. He was sure that the child would argue that he wanted to go home to his parents. After all, he'd seen more of the dour Potion Master than his parents. Surely he wanted to spend some time with them. Even though, Severus had to admit he loved his time they spent at his manor during the summer.

Severus loved his godson, and it actually warmed his heart that said godson enjoyed spending time with him.

Severus was about to head towards his chambers when his fireplace came to life in a rush of green flames.

“Severus,” the Headmaster called out.

“I'm here, Albus,” Severus sighed. “Come through.”

“It would probably be better if you come through to my end.”

“I'll be right there.”

Severus suppressed the sigh that wanted to come out. Walking towards the green flames, Severus stepped out into the Headmaster's office. Severus saw that he was not the only one in attendance in the office. Minerva was sitting in the chair opposite Albus' desk. The look on both elders' faces raised concern in the Potion Master.

“What's going on?” Severus asked.

“Something's happened on Privet Drive.”

Severus looked down at Minerva. She looked like she'd been crying.

“What's happened?”

“Death Eaters destroyed Number 4. They've killed Vernon and Petunia Dursley.”

“I didn't know about that,” Severus said, shocked at what he's just learned.

“I know. It was a rogue attack,” Albus answered. “I don't even think Voldemort knew about it.”

Severus found that hard to believe. Death Eaters doing something that was over Voldemort's head.

“When Voldemort found out what they had done, he killed them.” Albus continued.

“How many?”

“Eight.”

“How did you find this out?” Severus asked, sitting down next to Minerva.

“Lucius Malfoy. Narcissa was killed. Voldemort left Lucius alive so that he will suffer.”

Severus just shook his head. He had wondered why Lucius asked him to keep Dragon. Now he knew.

“Severus, I must implore, that you take Harry for the summer.”

“What?” Severus exclaimed.

“Harry needs to be protected. You are the only one that I trust to keep Harry safe.”

Severus raised his eyebrow.

“And why, may I ask, do either of you take Potter for the summer?”

“I cannot take Harry,” Minerva said, shaking her head. “I'm still recovering.”

“If circumstances were different, I would, my boy,” Albus answered. “Besides Minerva's health, she and I have some things that need taking care of. You are the only one.”

“Never mind the fact that I loathe the boy.”

“No, you don't,” Albus countered.

“Albus,” Severus began.

“Severus,” cutting off the Potion Master. “I know you will keep Harry safe to the best of your ability. You will not let any harm come to the child.”

“Why does it have to be me?” Severus asked. “What about Lupin?”

“You already protect the child now. What's him moving in with you?” Albus sat back in his chair. “Besides, Remus is doing something for me this summer. Why are you so opposed to this?”

“Probably because I will have my godson with me this summer.”

“I know you and your godson will be civil towards the child,” Albus said, his eyes twinkling. “I've already informed Harry that he's to wait for you at King's Cross Station.”

Severus, seeing that there was no way out of taking Potter, gave a curt nod, got up and left the headmaster's office. Instead of taking the floo like he did when he arrived to the Headmaster's office, Severus walked back down to the dungeon. Severus thought about this coming summer. Having Draco Malfoy and Harry Potter under one roof, his roof to be exact.

Yes, he protected the boy, but it did not mean that he cared for the boy. Who was he kidding, he and Harry have come to an understanding after the fiasco of the previous year. Their lessons were a disaster under the best of circumstance and, then after the pensive incident, he didn't think that they could be in the same part of the castle much less in the same room without Severus wanting to strangle the child. But the boy surprised him. In more ways than one.

Severus was sitting behind his desk grading the dismal work of his second year Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw students. A timid rap on the door brought him from his work.

Enter,” he gruffly said, not even looking up.

There was silence. Usually when someone entered the Potion Master's office whomever it was quickly stated their business so not to be in his company for long. Now, Severus heard the door open and close, but nothing else. Lifting his head to see who he was to deal with, anger started to bubble up inside of him when he laid his eyes on the messy haired teen who look too much like his father, but at that moment, his stance resembled his mother.

I thought I told you to get out and never come back,” growled Severus, standing up from behind his desk.

Harry, looking younger than he had ever seen him, watched as his Potion Professor rounded his desk and stalked towards him. In all seriousness, Harry was terrified. He didn't know what Snape would do to him, but he knew that, after what he saw in the pensive, he had to make it right. He didn't think that Professor Snape would start the lessons again, but he could at least ask for forgiveness. Though he knew he probably didn't deserve it.

I wanted to apologize, Professor,” Harry rushed out by the time Snape was standing in front of him.

And what does the great Harry Potter think he needs to apologize for?” Severus sneered. Harry flinched at the tone. “What makes you think you are worthy of my forgiveness?”

I don't,” Harry murmured. “But what my dad and Sirius did to you was wrong. I know I shouldn't have nosed around your things. I was just tired of people lying to me and keeping things from me.”

And so you thought that gave you license to snoop around my memories.”

Harry flinched again at the accusation. He took a deep breath trying to calm his nerves. He knew how angry Snape was with him, and it was understandable.

Please, sir,” Harry begged. “The last thing I wanted was to see that.”

Didn't want to see what your father was truly like.” Severus' statement cut through Harry's words like a knife.

Believe me, please,” Harry pleaded again after a moment of trying to find his voice. “I am paying for what my father and Sirius done to you. For fourteen years, I've been paying for it. And I understand now. I know that my torment will never stop, but I can at least try to atone for my father's sins.”

Severus' anger deflated a little after hearing that. “What are you talking about, Potter?” His voice didn't hold the same contempt it did earlier.

Let me show you,” Harry said. “You've seen some, but not all. Please let me show you.”

Severus' eyes narrowed as he looked into the teen's eyes and saw a pleading in them. He stepped back, pulled out his wand and entered to child's mind.

Once inside the child's mind, the first thing he noticed was that there was absolutely no resistance. Compared to previous times of entering the child's mind there was much resistance when it came from him, this meant that Harry was willingly letting Severus enter his mind and showing him everything. With that in mind, Severus went deeper into the child's mind and went in search of what he clearly wanted the dour man to see.

It didn't take long for Severus to get to a certain part. Harry must have been six or seven, cleaning the entire house. Then it flashed to when he was in school and his cousin and his friends surrounded the small Harry. Harry looking at them with fear in his eyes as they began bullying him. Not only did they taunt him, they even beat the child. They chased the child almost everyday. And there was no one to help the child. His aunt and uncle saw to it that the teachers believed that he was a hopeless case.

The last scene Severus witness was Harry getting yelled at by his uncle in which his uncle preceded to tell him that he was unloved and unwanted and if it wasn't for the goodness of their hearts he would be living on the streets. That Harry should be grateful for the clothes that they gave him, for the room that they gave him and not complain.

Not wanting to witness anymore, Severus left Harry's mind. Trying to catch his breath and reign in his temper from what he just witnessed, Severus looked at the boy standing just a few feet away from him. Harry was trying and failing to stand stoically after what he had just shared. When they first started these lessons, Severus gleaned that Potter's life before Hogwarts was not as he once thought, but after what he just witnessed, he now knew that Potter's life was the same, if not worse, than his own childhood. Severus looked at the child before him and came to a stunning realization. Yes, Harry Potter may have the looks of his blasted father, and the eyes of his mother, but standing before him was neither his mother or his father. Harry was a scared child that only wanted acceptance and love, not attention and fame.

Silence washed over the room for a few minutes more, until Severus heard the small sound of sniffling. Really looking at the child, he saw that tears were streaming down his face.

Severus walked closer towards the child, placed his hand on Harry's shoulder, and gave it a gentle squeeze.

Harry,” Severus said. His voice no longer had the usual contempt when he talked to the child. “You are not responsible for what your father and godfather did to me in the past. Your only fault was nosing around in my private things. What happened to you is inexcusable, but it is not payback for what happened to me. There is no reason for you to apologize for your father, but I will accept your apology for your nosy behavior.”

Tear-filled eyes looked up at the Potion Master. A small smile ghosted across the child's lips. Harry quickly lowered his head and whispered, “Thank you, sir.”

Now knowing that he would have both Draco and Harry under the same roof was beginning to prove to be problematic. He knew that Draco and Harry were always at each other's throats. This was going to be a long summer, Snape just knew it. He sighed.

When Severus reached his chambers, he walked straight to his library and pulled out one of his books. Behind it was a small shot glass. Severus pulled it out along with a fairly new bottle of firewhisky.

“This is going to be a very long summer,” Severus repeated aloud, sitting in his favorite arm chair next to the fire. Leaning his head back against the backrest, Severus still had to tell both boys that they were both going to be under the same roof, and that they had to be at least civil to each other. Severus sighed. He knew he had his work cut out for him.

TBC

Chapter End Notes:
A/N: Thank you for taking the time to read my story. Please leave a review and let me know what you think about it.
Many hugs and kisses to you all.
Mandancie :)
Please follow my Mandancie page on Facebook and Tumblr.