Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
There is a companion piece I wrote to this story, but because Harry isn't a main character, I did not post on this site. It is posted on ff.net, if you would like to check it out. {same pen name}
Chapter 18

Molly smiled at Harry as she patted his covered foot. She wanted to give him a kiss on the forehead, but didn't want to stress Harry out too much, so she just stood up.

"Well, Harry," Molly said. "Please call us when you are ready. You are welcome to come whenever you are ready."

"Thanks, Mrs. Weasley," Harry said, looking at her.

Molly walked over to Severus, reached up and cupped his face.

"Don't be so hard on yourself," Molly said and then walked out of the room.

Arthur went to Severus and clapped his hand on his shoulder and followed his wife out of the room.

Poppy walked over to the bed and sat down on the edge of it.

"Harry," Poppy said. "How are you feeling?"

Harry looked over at the matron and shrugged his shoulders. The defiance he was feeling just a moment ago seemed to leave him. Though he was happy that he was staying.

"Harry," Albus said. "I am so happy to see you, but would you mind if I take your host for a while?" Harry looked like he was going to object, when Albus continued. "I'm sure Madam Pomfrey would be willing to stay with you. It will only be for a couple of hours."

Harry looked at Poppy and then to Severus who gave him a small nod.

Harry nodded.

"Splendid," Albus said, cheerfully. "Severus, please come with me."

"I'll be back, Harry," Severus said, following Albus out of the room.

_0000_0000_0000_000

Poppy, not wanting to invade Harry's space, sat down in the chair that was against the wall. She wanted to be close just in case Harry would need her, but deep down, she knew he really wouldn't.

It was a comfortable silence between the two of them. Harry was leaning against the headboard, looking up at the ceiling. He thought about everything that happened. He, once again, thought about his Professor's confession. Then he thought about the slight panic he felt when said Professor left the room.

"You know," Poppy said, after a while. "He has that affect on people."

Harry looked over at where the matron was sitting. He almost forgot she was still in the room.

"What do you mean?" Harry asked.

"He gives you a calm feeling," Poppy said. A small smile on her face. "It's like nothing can hurt you when he's around."

"Yeah," Harry agreed, quietly. "How do you … oh"

Poppy smiled.

"Sorry," Harry said.

"There's no reason to be sorry," Poppy said, shaking her head.

Harry became quiet again. He was biting his lip, trying not to talk. Poppy saw that he had questions.

"Harry," she called out. He looked up at the Matron. "You can ask me questions. It's alright. Questions won't hurt me. Nor will they hurt you."

Harry sighed. He really didn't want to offend Madam Pomfrey, but she was the only one that probably truly knew what Harry was going through.

"Okay," Harry said. "When did it happen?"

Poppy got up from the chair and went to the edge of the bed and sat down.

"It was thirteen years ago," she said.

"May- may I ask, what happened?"

"Of course," Poppy said, leaning against the bed post, facing Harry. "It was the end of the semester. It was a really difficult term. That year I think most of the muggle-born and muggle-raised witches and wizards came down with Dragon pox. Severus and I were kept busy tending to the sick. At one point I thought we would had to have gotten help from St. Mungo's, but all the children recovered before the End of Term feast. After all the children left for home, I decided I wanted to go home and try to recover from the year. I thought I would be safe. I was wrong. I let my guard down and he grabbed me when I was going into my house." Poppy stopped for a moment. She realized this was the first time that she truly spoke of her rape since it happened. The memories and feelings of that day came flooding back.

"You okay?" Harry asked, bringing her out of her musing.

"Yeah," Poppy said, smiling. "I just realized that this is the first time I've really talked about it."

"You don't have to continue, if you don't want to," Harry quickly said.

"No," Poppy said, shaking her head. "It's okay. I'm okay."

Poppy looked down at her hands for a moment. She noticed that she was gripping her medi-witch apron. Sighing, she continued her story.

"After he grabbed me," she continued. "He put me into a body bind curse and … well. I was there for day."

"You couldn't move?"

"When he finally left, I was still under the curse. I was on the bed exposed, violated, and couldn't move. I didn't even have the courtesy of being covered."

Harry lowered his head. He knew that humiliation all to well.

With his head still lowered, Harry asked, "How did you get loose?"

"Severus came to check on me."

Harry's head popped up after that. The look of shock on the child's face.

"Yes, Harry," Poppy said with a small chuckle. "Severus saved me too. He released me of the binding curse, covered me, and got me to St. Mungo's to be treated."

They sat in silence again. Harry thought about everything he just heard, and couldn't help the lump forming in his throat. He looked up at the woman sitting across from him. Since his first year at Hogwarts, Madam Pomfrey had always shown Harry love and care. She wasn't like the school nurses he had during Elementary school.

When Harry was tied to that bed, he used to wonder what he would be like if he was ever rescued. Would he be the same person? Could things ever be the same? Looking at the Matron sitting across from him, he now believed that it just might me a possibility. He just might truly make a full recovery. Because if Madam Pomfrey could go through something just as awful as he did and still be warm and caring to the people around her. Then maybe, just maybe there could be hope for him.

"Harry," Poppy said. "You okay?"

Harry blinked at her. With tears streaming down his face and a small smile on his lips, he just nodded.

Poppy smiled and leaned over and lightly patted and then held Harry's hand. It was the only physical contact that they needed.

_0000_0000_0000_0000

Albus and Severus walked down to Severus' study. Neither said a word until Severus closed the door.

"What more can I do for you?" Severus asked, sitting behind his desk.

Albus, eyes twinkling, knew Severus had a lot on his mind, but this was something that needed to get handled.

"Draco Malfoy," Albus said, sitting across from Severus.

"What about him?"

"He is going to be charged."

Severus said nothing.

"He will need someone standing by him."

"Why are you telling me this?"

"You are his guardian."

"I am just a little biased on the situation," Severus said. His anger showing on his face. "I can not and will not stand by him when I am currently taking care of the victim of the case."

Severus could not believe he was being asked to play both ends of the field again. Being a spy, yes, he dealt with both aspects of the war, but he was always at a distance. Light against Dark. Outside looking in sort to speak. But this, this was personal. This was his godson and Lily's child. His godson not only masterminded the entire situation, but received funds behind it. How could he in good conscience stand by the boy?

Severus used to do whatever his mentor would ask of him, but this was just too much.

"Severus," Albus said. "Calm down. I am not asking you to stand by him. I am trying to put out there that since you are Mr. Malfoy's guardian will you be looking for a solicitor?"

Severus sat silent for a moment.

"No," Severus finally said. "He sought those men out; he's adult enough to attain himself his own solicitor."

"So, you're turning your back on the child?" Albus asked.

Severus slammed his hands on the desk and stood up.

"What do you want from me? What answer can I give that will make you happy? What is it you want me to say, Albus?"

By this time, Severus was no longer behind his desk. He was now pacing. Albus looked on, not saying a word. He knew that this was Severus' guilt talking. Albus loved the dour potions master as if he were his own son, and he knew how much guilt the man was carrying, so Albus just let Severus continue.

"That this is all my fault."

"I hardly believe that, Severus," Albus soothed, but Severus wasn't listening.

"That I have failed. I have failed to protect my godson. That I have failed to protect Lily's son. That my own cowardice is why Harry is now upstairs utterly broken"

"I don't think Harry's broken," Albus said again, but Severus still wasn't listening.

"I had plenty of time to tell both Harry and Draco that they were going to be spending the summer holidays with me, but the coward I am, I didn't say anything, hoping that all would just work itself out. And now see what has happened. Draco's extreme jealously and my own prejudices forever harmed that boy."

Albus got up from his chair and stood in the pathway of where Severus was walking, preventing him from moving anymore. Severus looked as if he were going to move only for Albus to stand in his way again preventing him from moving. Albus' blue eyes were as hard as steel as he looked over his glasses at the man before him. Reaching up and putting his hands on Severus' shoulders by way of comforting him, he gave them a small squeeze.

"Your only fault was not looking for Harry when you got home," Albus said with finality. "What happened to Harry was not your fault. I believe we had a similar conversation like this before. The only one who is a fault for harming that boy upstairs is now dead. You rescued Harry. Harry is now safe. Now, you have another child that you must save. Draco made some horrendous mistakes. Mistakes that he will have to answer to. Draco Malfoy is just a child. A child that wanted your attention."

Severus brow creased at that last bit of information.

"Kingsley has informed me that since his arrest, Draco's been asking for you," Albus continued. "So, Severus, what will you do?"

Albus lowered his hands and took a step back from Severus. Severus just looked at Albus.

TBC