Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 6

“Draco.” Again, Severus' voice was calm, not once indicating the storm of anger that was brewing underneath. “Is there something you want to tell me?”

Draco looked up smugly at his godfather.

“Potter's getting exactly what he deserves,” sneered Draco.

The smug look that Draco had on his face quickly went away as his eyes got uncharacteristicly large at his admission. He lowered his head. He did not mean to reveal that to anyone, especially his godfather. Looking back up to his godfather, Draco thought he saw a small hint of a smirk on his face.

Dragon, it's time for supper. Come.”

Severus turned and headed towards the dining room without looking to see if Draco was behind him. Actually Severus knew by the way Draco was on the bed that he would take a few minutes before he left his room and that was all the time that Severus needed to do what he wanted to do.

Once he got to the dining room, the house elves already had their dinner on the table. Severus pulled the phial out of his pocket. Uncorking it, Severus let several drops go into Draco's smashed potatoes that were on his plate. He made sure that none spilled on the steak as Severus knew that it would be noticed that something was amiss. The particular Veritaserum potion was something that Severus was trying to improvise on. It was an article in the latest Potion Journal magazine that the current Veritaserum could be countered to where the person receiving it could still lie while under it's properties. So since the beginning of this particular summer Severus had been working on different variations to the potion to see if that could be more effective. When he started this task, he did not think that his godson would be his first test subject. After seeing the surveillance video, and that Draco lied to his face, Severus knew he had to use it.

Severus sat back in his chair, wiping his mouth with his napkin while casually waving his hand. Again, his face still void of any emotion.

“Do tell, Dragon. And what is it that he deserves?”

“What he's got coming to him,” Draco growled through clenched teeth.

Draco tried to get up, but noticed that he was stuck in the seat.

“What have you done?” Draco yelled.

“And what have you planned for Potter?” Severus voice was silky smooth, completely ignoring Draco's question.

“I sold him.” Draco strained out, trying to keep that secret away from his godfather.

Severus looked at Draco for the first time since he started asking questions. His eyes were fiercely baring down on Draco.

“You sold him?” Severus enunciated every word. He couldn't believe what he was hearing. “What right did you have to sell him? To sell anyone?”

“HE THINKS HE'S SO SPECIAL!” Draco yelled, trying to pry himself off the chair to no avail. “Well, now he can be special to someone else.”

Severus' arm twitched just fraction. He wanted to hex his godson to oblivion. He couldn't believe what he was hearing. The only thing that stayed his arm was that he needed to know where and who Draco sold Potter to.

“How much?” This time Severus was trying his best to keep his voice calm.

Draco stopped struggling long enough to glare at his godfather.

“Why are you so upset? It's just Potter. You don't like him anyway. I thought you would be proud of my initiative to get rid of the Golden Boy. I planned it perfectly. He was taken and no one knew.”

Severus raised an eyebrow. Going into his robes, he pulled out a paper and placed it in front of Draco so that he could see the Headline as well as the picture.

Draco looked at the picture and couldn't help the smile to break through remembering how Potter looked when he was grabbed. Then just a quickly the smile went away. In the bottom corner of the picture, Draco could see himself standing there watching.

“How much?”

“Thirty quids,” Draco sneered. “And it's all your fault.”

Severus was flabbergasted at the accusation. He couldn't believe that his godson had sold Potter. Then to find out that it was for something nominal as a measly thirty quids. But what floored Severus more was that Draco had to audacity to blame him for his horrendous actions.

“My fault,” Severus gasped. “How did you come to that conclusion?”

“If you hadn't allowed Potter...” Draco abruptly stopped talking.

Draco knew that Snape had given him Vertiserum and that he would have to speak only the truth, but he would be damned if he was going to give in and provide a reason to why he did what he did to Potter. No, he was going to let the boy suffer his fate. Draco was going to let Potter hurt.

Severus knew Draco was fighting the serum. Draco was stubborn that way. Honestly, Severus didn't really care for Draco's reason. He really wanted to know who Draco had sold Harry to.

“Since you were paid by muggle means, it stands to reason that you sought out a muggle to do this.” Severus deduced. “Who were they? And how do I find them?”

“I'll n-never t-tell you anything,” Draco struggled out.

Severus knew that Draco was struggling with keeping that last particular information secret. But he knew that with the potion now in his system, Draco's resolve would not last long. Severus sat back and watched his godson. In a matter of seconds Draco told everything that Severus wanted to know. Severus now knew who had Potter and how the deal was made. When Draco finished talking, he was beet red in the face as a mixture of embarrassment and anger filled him.

Severus said nothing as he got up from the table and went to his study and used the floo yet again. This time he called Kingsley. After giving the Auror permission to come into his house to take away his godson, Severus floo'ed back to the Weasleys.

Severus stepped through to an unusually quiet house. He began to think that no one was home. Molly came out of the kitchen to see who had entered her house unexpectedly. Spotting the Potion Professor again, she mused that she had seen more of him now than during the Order meetings.

“Severus,” Molly's voice was still strained from crying, but there were no tears visible on her face.

“Do forgive my intrusion,” Severus said, trying to keep his voice calm. “Might I have a word with you and Arthur?”

“Uh, yes,” Molly said, holding out her arm beckoning Severus forward. “I've got tea on. Let's go into the kitchen.”

Severus walked into the kitchen. He knew that they need to hurry to get to Harry, but he had to explain what was going on and finding the boy would be tricky. They would first have to find the man that Draco sold Harry to. Sighing, Severus sat down at the table. Molly disappeared out of the kitchen but quickly returned with Arthur in tow.

“Severus.” Arthur sat down across for him.

“I have more information about Potter's disappearance.”

Molly placed a cup in front of Severus and sat down next to her husband. She could tell that Severus was flustered, which was something that she was not use to seeing. As much as she wanted to know what happened to Harry, she also knew that whatever it was it had to be bad if Severus Snape was affected by it.

Severus took a sip of the tea and looked to the two across from him. He opened his mouth and began telling the Weasleys everything that he had just learned since leaving their house. Everything that Draco let spill, Severus told. When he finished, there was no longer tea sitting at his elbow but a small tumbler of Firewhiskey. During Severus retelling, Arthur noticed some struggling with the Potion master and wandlessly summoned a bottle of firewhiskey and glasses for both of them.

“Did,” Molly voice was no louder than a whisper. “Did he say why he would do this?”

Severus looked at Molly and sighed. “He blamed me. I had been secretly teaching Potter Occlumency since the before Christmas break last year. Jealousy reigned in the child's heart and blamed Potter for taking me away.”

“You've been...” Arthur was flabbergasted. “Why?”

“There are a great many things that you don't know,” Severus stated. “And it is best that you don't. Just leave it that I've been teaching Potter and Draco became jealous.”

“So, what now?” Arthur asked.

“We need to find the man that Draco sold Potter to. If we can find him, we can find Potter.”

“Sold him,” Molly muttered to herself. “He sold him.”

Arthur rubbed his wife's back soothingly. “We'll find him. We'll bring Harry home.”

Severus nodded. “Let's go.”

TBC