Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry there's been a bit of a delay with this chapter, I've been focusing on an entry for the Fic Fest ("Love Thy Neighbour").
Getting Harry Home

Harry was quite wary of Minerva, needing some encouragement before he would sit still and let her examine him. Severus managed to get him to sit on his lap, and Harry kept a tight grip on his clothes—which had undergone several good cleaning charms—while Minerva displayed her little-seen Healing skills.

 

“He’s in no immediate danger,” she said at last, and Severus relaxed slightly. “Those bruises I think were from the last full moon—they must have been quite bad, but they’re nearly gone now, no lasting damage. His neck I’m more worried about. A healing salve should help, though I suspect there may be scarring. Just be careful not to open up any of the grazes when you apply it. As for the malnourishment—I need hardly say it’s serious, but rectifiable. I’d start him off on pureed foods—nothing too rich—and see how you go. He’s far too small for a three, going on four-year-old, but with the right diet we should be able to correct that.”

Severus nodded, making a mental note. Minerva met his eyes for the first time in a few minutes. “Er, why am I telling you this?”

“Because,” Severus said, looking down at his young charge, “I will be looking after him from now on.”

Minerva’s eyebrows disappeared under her hat. “Really? Does Albus know about this?”

“It was his suggestion in the first place.” Severus stopped abruptly, sensing that anything else that came out of his mouth would sound self-deprecating and he didn’t want the questions that would follow.

“Oh,” Minerva said simply.

Silence fell, and Severus took the opportunity to reach for Harry’s new clothes and put them on him. They were ordinary Muggle clothes, a white top and blue trousers in soft cotton. The packaging read 2 years, but they fit Harry just about right, which was disturbing.

Harry fidgeted a little while Severus was dressing him, but otherwise didn’t complain. Severus almost wished he would—the boy seemed used to just accepting things that were done to him, and he still hadn’t spoken a word since ‘Daddy’.

The front door closing told them that Albus was back. Severus dared meet his eyes as he entered the room, but not to his surprise, Albus avoided looking at either of them and headed straight for Mrs Figg’s bathroom, looking a sickly white.

Harry had cringed back again at the Headmaster’s presence. So far Severus seemed to be the only adult he felt safe with—perhaps because Severus reminded him of ‘Daddy’, or just because the two were both werewolves. Either way, a bond had formed very quickly, which was one blessing at least. Severus didn’t like to think how difficult it might have been, to take in a child who was afraid of him. Still, he was going to have to help get Harry over his fear of everyone else, or he would end up with one neurotic child on his hands.

Albus reappeared from Mrs Figg’s bathroom, still pale but a little less so. Severus didn’t know what Albus had been doing—vomiting, throwing curses at the wall, screaming blue murder, all sprang to mind; maybe all of the above—but he didn’t ask.

Harry squirmed slightly, and Albus hung back, watching the boy sadly.

“It’s all right, Harry,” Severus murmured in what he hoped was a soothing voice. “It’s only Albus. He’s not going to hurt you.”

Harry whimpered and buried his face in Severus’ sleeve.

“Maybe we should give you both some space,” Minerva said, drawing back as well. “We’re probably crowding the poor boy.”

Severus nodded glumly. Getting Harry over his fears could wait until the child adjusted to being out of the cellar. One step at a time.

“Maybe I should get him home,” he said. “He’s confused enough. Better he adjusts there, than gets moved when he’s just starting to get used to this place.”

Albus nodded, some vague twinkle coming back into his eyes at Severus’ mention of ‘home’. “I agree, that is probably for the best. And don’t worry my boy, I will be more than happy to cover your classes for the time being.”

The thought of missing work hadn’t even occurred to Severus at this point, but once Albus raised the subject, he knew it would be necessary. At least while Harry still clung to him like a limpet. He nodded. “Thank you, Albus. All my notes are in my desk.”

“Don’t mention it.”

Slowly, Severus stood up with Harry. Minerva presented him with a written guide to seeing to Harry’s medical needs. Mrs Figg collected together the things she had bought for Harry, refused Severus’ offer to pay her for them, and quizzed him on how he was planning on travelling home.

Severus looked down at the boy in his arms. The thought had not occurred to him. Severus knew magical transport would not be good for Harry in this state. On the other hand, he did not have a car, and Muggle public transport meant being around a lot of people, which wouldn’t suit Harry either.

Albus, however, interrupted his train of thought. “No trouble there, Severus. The Dursleys—” his eyes hardened momentarily “—have left their house but their car is still in the drive. I know a nifty little spell to get it started. After what they … it’s the least they can do.”

“Er, isn’t it illegal to steal a Muggle car?” Minerva pointed out. “No matter how much they deserve it, and worse.”

“Oh, this isn’t stealing. This is borrowing,” Albus said, the twinkle now more prominent. “I can return it once Harry is safely at Severus’. With maybe a few … alterations.”

The twinkle in his eyes looked positively dangerous. Minerva narrowed hers. “Albus. You’re not thinking of enchanting—”

“Good heavens, no! I don’t want to be hauled into the Misuse of Muggle Artefacts Office.”

“Like that would ever happen,” Severus muttered.

“No, I’m talking non-magical alterations. Perhaps a broken light and a couple of flat tyres. Or maybe something a bit more … drastic.”

“Well for Merlin’s sake don’t let anyone see you wrapping their car around a lamp-post or anything,” Minerva said wearily. Severus, amused as he was by the discussion, decided now was the time to leave.

“Car seat,” Mrs Figg said suddenly. They all looked at her.

“Sorry?” Severus said.

“He’ll need a car seat. I didn’t think to get one.”

“Oh, no matter,” Albus said. “I expect they’ll have one in there.”

Severus thought of the beach ball named Dudley Dursley, and figured any car seat for him would positively dwarf Harry. Then again, he supposed they could always shrink it. And maybe even leave it that way.

He and Albus left Mrs Figg’s, walking a reasonable distance from each other so as to keep Harry, who was again sheltering his eyes in Severus’ clothes, happy. They were almost at Number Four when the Dursleys rounded the corner.

“Albus!” Severus hissed, trying to get his attention without scaring his charge. “They’re back!”

After one glimpse of the family that had tortured their nephew, Albus’ face hardened, and for a split second Severus was sure he was going to curse them, but instead he broke into a run, heading for the car and calling for Severus to follow suit.

Severus ran as best he could, ignoring the pain in his leg. Harry cried out as he was jolted up and down, but it was nothing compared to Vernon Dursley’s shouts of rage as he realised what they were doing.

“HOW DARE YOU! YOU FREAKS, GET AWAY FROM MY—”

Harry started sobbing, clinging to Severus harder as he presumably recognised his uncle’s voice. Severus placed him clumsily in the massive car seat and fastened the straps, pulling them tort before pulling his wand on Vernon, who had almost reached them.

He didn’t care he was in the middle of a street in bright daylight and several nosy neighbours were watching. Vernon paled as he came eye-to-eye with Severus’ wand, and Petunia screamed.

“Think yourself lucky, Dursley, that I have a great deal of self-control,” Severus spat. “Now get out of the way or you will be a pancake with a moustache.”

Vernon’s self-preservation was obviously stronger than his rage, for he leapt out of the path of the car, which Albus had started up. Severus climbed in beside Harry and had barely shut the door, let alone fastened his belt, when Albus pressed hard on the accelerator, nearly running over the Dursleys’ feet, and straight into the fence opposite.

“Sorry!” Severus called out of the window to the Muggles whose garden they were destroying. “Send the bill to Number Four!”

He looked back at Harry, unsettled to find the boy was still crying, but almost silently. Severus couldn’t really cuddle him in the car, especially not with Albus’ driving—had he ever taken a class? Severus wondered—but he gently wiped Harry’s tears with a handkerchief, took off his jumper and let Harry cling onto that in place of the disgusting blanket. At least the car windows were tinted, so Harry’s light aversion wasn’t as bad as it could have been.

“You couldn’t go a bit slower, could you, Albus?”

They were out of Little Winging now, and Albus obliged, slowing down to a more reasonable speed and glancing in the back mirror. “How is he?”

Harry was still fidgeting in the oversized car seat, tears running down his face, which was looking balefully up at Severus. Severus suddenly realised what the problem was.

“Albus, do you know any sort of cushioning charm? I think the straps might be a bad idea, he probably thinks he’s being restrained again.”

“I do.” After a moment checking his mirrors, Albus pointed his wand in the back and said a spell. “You can take him on your lap now, it’s safe.” After a moment he said another spell. “Now no Muggle police will be able to see you’re not wearing seat belts.”

Severus immediately unfastened Harry, who clung to him, still sobbing softly, and gently lifted him into his arms. “There, there,” he murmured. “I’m sorry about that, Harry. But everything’s going to be better now, okay? I promise.”

Harry calmed down gradually, though he continued to sniffle quietly as Severus held him, marvelling at how his life had changed so drastically so suddenly. Yesterday his life had been nothing but potions, essay marking, the full moon and wondering how long it would be before his Dark Mark started burning again. Now …

Now, he was suddenly a parent. He hadn’t even made the conscious decision, just became aware of the fact that it was happening, or had happened already. So far he had experienced anger, compassion, and a very large amount of guilt, since he had first stepped over the Dursleys’ threshold. The guilt, he knew, wouldn’t go away. But he had to keep it under control, if he was going to correct his latest mistake.

He had almost forgotten the dreams that had been plaguing him, and the voice in the office, until it occurred again. The car was silent apart from Harry’s sniffling, and Severus heard it loud and clear in his mind. He also knew, now, who it belonged to.

Thank you, Severus.

Severus closed his eyes, and allowed a single tear to run down his cheek.