Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

In a Fix

Severus made the long journey from Hogsmeade all the way up to the Headmaster’s office, cursing the Dursleys, Death Eaters, and Headmasters who didn’t pick up the phone. He was not in a good mood by the time he arrived at the gargoyle.

“Now, what ridiculous confectionary had he chosen this time …”

Before Severus could remember what Albus had said at the end of term, the gargoyle sprang to life and jumped aside. Figuring Albus must have sensed him enter through the wards, Severus hurried up the spiral staircase into the Headmaster’s office, and then stopped dead.

“Good evening, Severus,” Filius said cheerfully. “Can I help you?”

Severus blinked. “What are you doing in here?”

“Albus left me in charge.”

“Why, where is he?”

“On holiday in Cyprus.”

“Oh. Where’s Minerva then?”

“On holiday in Cyprus,” Filius replied with a mischievous spark in his eyes.

Severus took a moment to process that, then decided he didn’t want to know. “I don’t suppose you have the address?”

“Ye-es,” Filius said slowly, “but Albus demanded not to be disturbed except in an emergency.”

Severus hesitated. Was it an emergency? He could handle the Dursleys the way he was, keeping them happy and Potter healthy at the same time.

On the other hand, he was pretty sure Albus would want to know about anything involving Harry Potter, especially something this serious.

“I understand. The address, Filius.”

“Just a sec.” Filius rummaged around in Albus’ desk and handed Severus a piece of parchment. “If he’s annoyed, you didn’t get it from me.”

“Understood.”

-

There was no-one in the suite when Severus knocked on the door, ignoring the Do not disturb sign hanging off the handle. He cast a furtive look around him before performing Alohomora and poking his head around the door.

“Albus?”

The fancy suite held no sign of life. Severus withdrew his head and considered. He had passed a ballroom on the way to the stairs—perhaps Albus was down there.

He returned downstairs and headed in the direction of music.

There were plenty of couples dancing on the floor. Severus kept to the wall, moving around the room trying to see either of his colleagues. Finally he caught sight of them at the bar, and hurried over.

“Albus?” He had to shout quite loudly to get them to hear him. Both looked over, and jumped.

“Severus!” Albus said, eyebrows disappearing into his hair. “What are you doing here?”

“I need to talk to you!” Severus said loudly. “It’s about Potter!”

Minerva groaned, and Albus looked strained. “Look, Severus, whatever it is, I’m sure—”

“I’m not complaining about him!” Severus said, realising the conclusion he leapt to. “His relatives are starving him!”

What?” Albus leaned closer, putting a hand behind his ear, though from the horrified looks now gracing his and Minerva’s faces Severus thought they had heard him well enough.

“They’re—starving—him!” he said, slowly and clearly. “We need to talk!”

Albus nodded, and jumped when the woman behind the bar placed two glasses of wine on the counter. He and Minerva both picked one up and followed Severus out of the ballroom.

They returned to the suite for privacy. “Fill me in,” Albus said, looking white.

Severus kept it short and simple. “The Dursleys made him go without any food for at least one week, and I don’t think they’re feeding him properly the rest of the time either. He looks like a skeleton. There are other … issues … too, but right now that’s the pressing one.”

“Merlin …” Albus rubbed the bridge of his nose. “Is there any chance that it’s not deliberate? Could Harry be refusing food for some reason, or …”

“Not a chance. I’ve been in that house, seen for myself. And besides, think who this information is coming from, Albus.”

“That’s true. Not much gets past you.” Albus seemed to realise he still had a full glass of wine in his hands, and drained it.

Severus winced. “Too much, in this case.” Albus raised an eyebrow. “Don’t ask. Let’s just say his aunt is a very good actress and leave it at that.”

“You’ve been in their house?” Minerva spoke up.

“Yes; Petunia seems to have taken a liking to me.” At her face, he added quickly, “Not like that!” He shuddered. “Anyway, I managed to create a pretence for Potter to spend the days with me, where I can ensure he gets proper nourishment. But that can’t be a permanent solution.”

“No, you’re right. It’ll have to do for the moment, though; it’s going to take some thinking to figure out what to do.”

“I was hoping you would have a backup plan,” Severus said in a strained voice. “In case of anything going wrong with the current arrangement.”

“I have, but it needs a lot of fine-tuning. In the meantime, how well protected is your house?”

“Don’t worry about that; I’ve got the finest locks, anti-Apparition wards and I disconnected the Floo. He’ll be fine.” Severus paused. “I’m going to need some money, though ...”

-

Harry’s first thought when he woke the next morning was that the day before had been a bizarre dream, brought on by lack of food or something, and he was still destined to spend the rest of the summer starving in his room. It was too much to hope for otherwise.

But he didn’t feel as hungry as he did when he woke up yesterday morning, nor as dehydrated.

Could it be …?

Harry opened his eyes and fumbled for his watch. It read ten to eight. Remembering the threats from yesterday, he scrambled out of bed and pulled on his clothes. Sure enough, at eight o’clock on the dot, the doorbell rang.

-

The next few days went much as the first one had. Harry was fed a substantial breakfast, lunch and dinner each day. He had a nap each afternoon and was allowed to watch the television while Snape cooked. The work he did, more ingredient preparation and various light housework or organisational chores, was not too difficult or taxing.

He wondered if Snape knew how much of a difference he had made to Harry’s general well-being. By the time the routine had lasted a week, Harry felt more like he did at Hogwarts—much healthier and happier. He barely saw the Dursleys and it didn’t matter that he was locked in from eight PM to eight AM every day, because he spent most of that time sleeping. When he did see them, he tried not to show how much better he felt, and they didn’t notice any difference.

Snape himself was being relatively easy to be around, much less hostile than his term-time counterpart. Whether this was because he was normally less tense on holiday, or for some other reason, Harry didn’t know. Snape still snapped at him if he did something wrong, but he didn’t tend to insult him the way he did with every other breath normally, and he was much more considerate about Harry’s health than the Dursleys were. Generally they didn’t talk, but it wasn’t an uncomfortable silence. Harry rather liked it.

Unfortunately, somewhere deep down he knew that his luck meant that it wouldn’t be long before things went wrong. And on his fifth day at Snape’s, things did.

Harry was on one of his breaks, watching a Western film when Snape came out of the potions lab with a bottle of potion. Sudden gunfire on the television made him start, and the potion fell from his hands, smashing at his feet.

Snape cursed colourfully. “That took three weeks to brew!” he snarled in Harry’s direction, acting more like his normal self.

Harry jumped to his feet. “Sorry, sir; I’ll clean it up.” He ran to the cleaning cupboard and seized a bottle of Mrs Skower’s All-Purpose Magical Mess Remover.

“Potter, no—!”

Too late. Harry had already began spraying, eager to sort the problem out as quickly as possible, when Snape realised what he was doing. He discovered instantly why Snape had tried to stop him. The second the Mess Remover made contact with the spilled potion, it turned into a black sticky gloopy puddle around Snape’s feet. With a sucking sound, they began sinking into it as if it were quicksand, only stopping when he was submerged halfway up his calves, effectively rooting him to the floor.

Snape sent a furious glare in Harry’s direction. “Oh, well done, Potter. The prize for Most Idiotic Action goes to you.”

“I didn’t know it would do that!”

“Exactly!” Snape snapped. “You should ALWAYS check the bottle before mixing any magical substance with a potion, Potter! You should know that by now!”

Harry looked down at the bottle of Mess Remover.

CAUTION: This cleaner contains Bundimun secretion which reacts badly with salt. NEVER use on salt or potions containing salted ingredients.

So much for ‘all purpose’.

“Oops.”