Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 7 The Burrow, Ottery St Catchpole

Snape woke with a racing heart, not recognising where he was at first, before remembering that he had rented a room at the village inn of Ottery St Catchpole the previous night. He did not recall his dream, but suddenly found himself extremely anxious to check on Harry. What if the boy’s temperature had not fallen? If he had a relapse, or a new abscess? Snape literally squirmed at the thought of having to bring Harry back to the hospital and let them introduce a new plastic tube into the abdomen. He was suddenly stricken by doubt. Had he explained everything properly to Molly and Arthur? Maybe he had forgotten some part of the instructions that the Muggle doctor had given? Or the Weasleys may not have grasped the importance of following them? They were a disorderly kind of family, with so many members to keep track of, although he was sure that Molly Weasley meant well, and he supposed she was more experienced than he was, considering that he had not raised one single child, but in this particular case, Snape thought firmly, in this particular case, he had more specific knowledge about Harry than Mrs Weasley did. Because I was there with him, he thought grimly. It does not matter, because I was there.

 

Snape was up and dressed before he checked the time and realised that it was only 5 am and that he could not possibly be bursting in at the Burrow at this hour. He glanced outside - he might opt for a long walk. It was a beautiful morning and the birds were chirping so loudly that he was surprised that he had been able to sleep at all. There must be a nest under the tiles somewhere close to his window.

 

Three hours later, Snape approached the Burrow cautiously to see if he could detect any signs of life. A rippling laughter pierced the peaceful, slightly hazy morning air in the garden and led Snape to find three of the Weasley children playing ghost tag, still in their nighties, among the trees. Snape’s appearance made Ginny drop the enchanted ghost ball she was trying to hit Fred and George with. The young girl approached him cautiously. Her brothers stayed a behind, happy to let their unsuspicious sister do the conversation with their dreaded teacher. Ginny who had no experience of her own yet from a Potions class with Professor Snape, but who had heard the stories about the dungeon bat teacher, dropped a quick curtsey and said cautiously:

 

”Harry’s inside with Ron. He’s not allowed out, because he had a fever yesterday and Mum thinks that he must stay in bed.”

 

”Are your parents up? Where are they?” Snape frowned slightly.

 

”They’re in the kitchen having an argument,” said Ginny forthcoming. Snape blinked a couple of times and shifted his feet almost imperceptibly as the slightest sign of uncertainty. It sufficed to make George gather his courage to say:

 

”They’re only having a discussion. Follow me, Professor, I’ll show you the way.”

 

Ginny and Fred ran ahead, shouting for their parents that there was a visitor. It was just as well, thought Snape, in case he was indeed interrupting something. Mr Weasley only lifted a hand in greeting in Snape’s direction before he darted off, up the stairs, supposedly to get dressed, because he was still in his pyjama. Mrs Weasley was dressed and received Snape gracefully, only the slightest bit of stiffness detectable in her features for those who knew her well.

 

”Welcome, Severus. You’re up early. Naturally, you’re here to check on Harry. Well that rise in temperature was a bit disquieting last night, wasn’t it?”

 

Snape nodded silently.

 

”I checked again, of course, before going to bed last night and it had increased to 38.6 degrees.”

 

Snape narrowed his eyes, but before he had time to say anything, Mrs Weasley cut him short.

 

”Don’t worry. I contacted the hospital at once. Arthur has one of those Muggle tele- what’s-it-called-again? - tele-object items installed in his private laboratory. The nurses explained about the healing process in roughly the same way as you did yesterday. They reassured me and told me to check the fever again in the morning. So, I was up early, and Harry’s temperature had fallen to 37.7. It was such a relief.”

 

Snape inclined his head in agreement, careful not to give any emotions away. He was satisfied in so much that Molly Weasley had proven to him that she was capable of following instructions and that she took Harry’s condition seriously.

 

”Harry woke at seven o’clock, having slept more than twelve hours. I have given him his first breakfast and you’re so right - he takes very small bites. But we are going to change that!” Molly Weasley said with determination, but then her expression changed. ”This has taught me that Harry is weaker than I expected, though. I had not taken the complicated course of his disease into account. Why, Arthur and I were having this discussion just now…”

 

Mr Weasley reappeared just then in the kitchen, dressed in a light wizard’s summer robe. He shook Snape’s hand.

 

”I apologise for intruding on you,” said Snape uncomfortably, but Arthur Weasley waved his excuse away as if it was an irksome fly. 

 

”Not to worry. Not to worry. We are up early in this family. Now, Molly, about the thing we discussed earlier, I honestly believe that we could all go. We don’t have to decide just now. Let’s see how Harry is doing today and we will determine before going tomorrow if someone should stay behind with him.”

 

”Now, listen, Arthur. We’d better decide today so that the person who is to stay behind is prepared tomorrow. We still need to agree upon who that person should be. I believe that it should fall on me. After all…” Molly was interrupted by her husband.

 

”After all, they are your relatives and you should go!” Mr Weasley turned to Snape to explain. ”We are going to the newly opened wizard amusement park north of London together with Molly’s brother and his family. The trip is scheduled for tomorrow and it’s only for the day. We will be back in the evening. We had planned to take Harry with us, in one of those floating chairs you know. He would not be allowed to try any of the attractions, but at least he would be able to come with us and watch. But now Molly is having second thoughts.”

 

”It’s unsuitable, Arthur. The boy is too weak. Ask Severus - he will agree with me. Don’t you, Professor?” said Molly.

 

”It would be irresponsible as it could compromise Harry’s rehabilitation!” spat Snape at Arthur Weasley who froze at the outburst. Snape tried to calm himself. What was the matter with him? It was not proportionate to react as if he was ready to challenge Arthur to a duel over something like this, was it? He continued in a less aggressive tone. ”Could the… er… excursion not be postponed to a later date?” he proposed.

 

”My brother is leaving for Italy for the rest of the holidays,” explained Molly Weasley. ”The thing is…” She checked that none of her children were nearby and leant closer to Snape, whispering in confidence, ”…the thing is that my brother’s family accommodated us for more than a week and in return we were supposed to invite them to one of the fancier restaurants in the amusement park. The food is said to be good. It’s a way for us to make up for the kindness they have shown us. My brother has helped us out a couple of times during the past years and inviting them would at least be a gesture, when we are not able to pay them back everything we owe. Therefore, we don’t feel that we could cancel tomorrow. But I’ll stay behind with Harry while the others go. His health is more important.”

 

”Victor’s your brother, Molly,” sighed Arthur. ”You should go. Perhaps we could ask Bill to stay. But then Ginny and Ron and the younger cousins want Bill to come, because he will accompany them on those neck-breaking spell courses and I can tell you that I won’t. I’m too old for that kind of thing. Being thrown about in the air, at the mercy of other people’s spellwork - no thank you! Maybe I had better stay, then, if Harry’s not in a better shape tomorrow. Children his age heal very quickly, you know…”

 

Snape, naturally, had never been to the wizard amusement park, but he had listened to a couple of his colleagues who had visited with their children and Snape reckoned that it must be a horrible place, loud and busy, not to say quaking and dangerous.

 

”Harry is not going,” Snape said firmly. ”I can come over and spend the day with him here.” As soon as he pronounced the words, Snape sensed how the preexisting anxiety that had been lurking since he woke up vanished into thin air and some sort of serenity filled his whole body. Molly and Arthur Weasley stared at him for a short while before a wide smile spread on Mr Weasley’s face.

 

”That would be a nice solution. If you are willing to sacrifice more of your time? When Albus wrote, asking us to step in as a foster family for Harry, he hinted that he was afraid that you might be… weary… and eager to be relayed, because of your past… er… difficulties… with Harry’s parents. I don’t mean to prod, but I seem to recall that at one time, Lily and you were…”

 

”There will be no problem,” said Snape with as much dignity he could master. ”I need to do some research before I proceed with the works on my house.” Snape had told the Weasleys all about his project at Spinners End the previous afternoon. ”I can bring some books and Harry and I will have a quiet day - just what he needs.”

 

Arthur Weasley looked at his wife who seemed the least little bit conflicted, but who did not protest.

 

”That’s settled then,” said Mr Weasley. ”Now, you’d better mount and say hello to Harry, because he asked for you and was sorry that he missed your departure by falling asleep yesterday.” Mr Weasley gestured up the stairs. ”And we would be happy if you joined us for breakfast,” he added, grinning boyishly behind Snape’s back at his exasperated wife.

 

***

 

Next day was a saturday and it was a strange feeling, when the Weasleys left the Burrow after much muddle and the house finally fell silent. Harry felt a small pang of regret and pushed a prodding feeling of envy away, because a wizard amusement park must be something extraordinary, but he would not have been allowed to join in the activities anyway and now Severus was staying with him and somehow Harry found that he did not object to that at all. For form’s sake and because he was afraid of taking up even more of Severus’ time, Harry had tried to tell Mrs Weasley that he could manage on his own during the day, but she had only chuckled and said that she would like to see him persuade his professor of such an arrangement and who would spell his temperature in that case?

 

Harry was allowed up and to walk about in his and Ron’s room a few steps. He preferably sat in a comfortable armchair that Bill had transfigured especially for him. Severus had transfigured another armchair for himself and they spent the first few hours of the morning playing the tutor games from the hospital ward. Harry fell into his old pattern of calling his teacher by his first name. When the Weasleys were around he had gone back to call Snape by his title, like the other Weasley children did, but now everything was just like back in the hospital when Severus was supposed to be his father and… the name just slipped past his lips. He looked a bit apprehensively at his teacher who made an indulgent gesture, however, and said that it was fine with him if Harry continued to call him Severus when they were on their own, as long as Harry remembered to switch to a more formal address, especially at school. Harry smiled in relief and reassured Severus that he would.

 

After a couple of hours, Harry started to yawn, shaking his head repeatedly to clear it and focus on the game. 

 

”You’re tired. Its time for a nap,” said Severus and removed the parchments. Harry sighed in regret.

 

”I’m not a baby,” he muttered in vexation.

 

”No, but you’re recovering from a serious disease and need regular sleep to heal properly,” said Severus dryly. ”Back to bed now. I need to go down to prepare some lunch anyway. It will be ready when you wake up. Otherwise I will be in the library downstairs with my research. Let’s see now…”

 

Severus started to arrange things in the room around Harry. He did not quite fuss, because Severus did not fuss like Mrs Weasley did. Sitting in his bed, Harry watched in amazement the thoroughness the man nevertheless proceeded with. He transfigured one of Ron’s old toys into a bell and explained to Harry that he did simply have to touch it and Severus would know that Harry needed him even if he was downstairs and that he would mount immediately if Harry called. Severus arranged the small plate with crackers and fruit that both the professor and Mrs Weasley tried to press upon him at all times. They wanted him to eat constantly. Severus put an extra blanket at the foot of Harry’s bed, a handkerchief on the side table and brought one of Harry’s books within reach in case he would not feel like falling asleep after all. Finally, Severus did an Aguamenti spell on Harry’s glass that filled with water.

 

The sight was like pushing a button and Harry could do nothing but close his eyes on the tears that burned behind them. His chest constricted almost painfully and he quickly bent forward hoping that Severus would not notice his predicament.

 

Snape stilled immediately when he felt Harry go tense by his side.

 

”Harry?” he asked, but got no answer. ”Harry’s what’s the matter? Is something wrong?”

 

The boy shook his head, but turned his face away at the same time. The bony shoulders were squared and his back tense under the T-shirt. Snape put a careful hand between Harry’s shoulder blades, felt the taught muscles underneath the tissue and realised that Harry was struggling to breathe. 

 

”You need to tell me what’s wrong, Harry,” Snape repeated with rising alarm. What could have set the boy off like this? Was he suddenly in pain? When he got no answer, in his bewilderment, Snape sharpened his tone. ”If you don’t give me an answer I will have to contact the hospital to have you submitted to an examination right now,” he threatened. Harry squirmed.

 

”It’s nothing,” he exhaled. ”No pain, I promise.”

 

”Yet, you’re distressed,” said Snape, frowning, and continued gently. ”Just tell me. Did you remember something?” He felt instinctively that it was of paramount importance to get the boy to talk, to verbalise his feelings, if only a in few words. 

 

Snape stroked Harry’s back carefully, slowly, forcing himself to stay calm. Usually, he had no difficulties to separate other people’s anxiety from his own feelings, but in this instance it was as if Harry’s distress rubbed off on him as well.

 

”She… she didn’t give me any water when I asked for it…” Harry stuttered the words in a low wail. Snape closed his eyes and grimaced. He continued stroking Harry’s back, soothingly, encouragingly. ”I don’t understand,” whispered Harry. ”I don’t understand. Why was she so mean? I know she never liked me, but I was ill and she wouldn’t even…” His body shuddered with withheld sobs.

 

”You will not always understand things in life…” Snape said slowly to the silently crying Harry, ”You don’t always understand the motive people have for acting in such or such a way. The most important thing now is that you are out of her reach. You’re no longer at her mercy. Do you hear me?”

 

Harry nodded jerkily.

 

”Petunia was always jealous of Lily. Always. She was spiteful already as a child, as far as I can remember. I knew both of them. Lily was my friend and Petunia was my enemy.” Snape smiled cheerlessly to himself. ”You might simply be the recipient of an old and frowsy grudge that has persisted in your aunt’s mind. You have nothing to do with it. It’s not your fault, Harry, do you understand?” 

 

The cramp in his chest lessened, Harry stopped crying and started to relax at Severus’ words. They were oddly comforting. It was not his fault. The reasons for his aunt’s acts were beyond his understanding and that was okay. Harry awkwardly picked up the handkerchief on the side table and dried his face, avoiding to look at Severus who had removed the warm hand on his back and held it out impassively to accept the crumpled piece of cloth. Harry hesitated for a brief moment, then clumsily clasped Severus’ hand with his smaller hand and with the handkerchief rolled into a ball between their palms before surrendering it. Embarrassed, he glided down in his bed, turned on his side towards the wall, drew a shuddering breath and closed his eyes. He was so very tired. He dimly noticed Severus rise after a short while and listened to the soft footsteps as he walked out of the room. 

 

***

 

The Weasleys were back as suddenly as they had departed, invading, spreading and filling their house with noise and bustle within mere seconds, calling out at each other, chatting excitedly about the different spell courses and the spectacular charms on display in the amusement park. Ron and Ginny overwhelmed Harry with their tales. Cousin this had done that and cousin that had said so and they had done the giant spell course so and so many times. 

 

Snape sighed inwardly. It had been a comfortable day, but he realised that he had better leave the Weasleys to their commotion. Only that meant leaving Harry too, and he was embarrassingly aware of his reluctance to part with the boy. It was ridiculous. What was the matter with him? 

 

There had only been one more incident during the day and that was when Snape had heard a faint noise from up-stairs. It had made him fly up from his armchair where he was reading up on magical wall-building and spell-by-spell masonry. He had taken the stairs three steps at a time and managed to startle Harry in the hall outside his room. 

 

”What do you think you are doing? Why didn’t you activate the charmed bell?” panted Snape. Bewildered, Harry met the black gaze that bored through him with equal amounts of anger and concern. Severus was truly acting weird at times.

 

”I’m only on my way to the toilet,” said Harry, mastering his dignity. ”I’m allowed up on my own, so Mrs Weasley says. I’m not an invalid, you know. I can manage.” 

 

As Harry shot him a reproachful look and walked into the bathroom, only slightly bent over because of the stitches, and shut the door behind him, Snape leant against the balustrade of the landing, embarrassed by his foolish fright. The boy was correct in that he was not made of glass. Snape was not usually an easily alarmed man, but right now he was behaving as jumpily as a hippogriff. He definitely did not recognise himself. And the lost feeling only intensified at the Weasleys' return.

 

Ron paused his torrent of words, realising that his recount might cause Harry more regret over missing the amusement, than joy for his friend’s sake. Ron, having several older brothers, was particularly sensitive to various unfairnesses that arose at regular intervals between the siblings. He turned to his father with a serious expression on his face.

 

”Dad, I think that Harry should be allowed to go to the amusement park when he has got better.”

 

His father hummed noncommittally.

 

”But dad, he really should. He must have his appendicitis rite treat, anyhow. Everyone is offered something to celebrate the rite - I know that you and Mum told me so. You and I, we went to a Chudley Cannon match after I had my appendicitis. It was the first time I was allowed to attend a quidditch game, so I remember it mighty well,” insisted Ron. Arthur Weasley, who had spent a fortune on tickets for the amusement park for his seven children, as well as paying for a fifteen person lunch at the restaurant during the day, sighed and paused in his attempts to make a spot on his wizard robe go away with various cleansing spells.

 

”You’re right, Ron. But traditionally it is the person who brings the child to the hospital who is the one supposed to offer the child a treat. The magic involved in the appendicitis rite affects not only the child, but also the adult attending to the child, whether it is a wizard or a witch, or a Muggle parent. In Harry’s case, I suppose it would be his Aunt Petunia, who drove him to the hospital, but maybe, since she behaved in the way she did, the magic did not work. The magic is supposed to unite the child and the caregiver face to the ordeal the child has to meet.”

 

Snape stared at Mr Weasley. A mounting suspicion rose in him.

 

”I have to go,” he said suddenly.

 

”Thank you, Severus, for today, and welcome back tomorrow,” said Arthur Weasley. ”Did you get Albus’ message? He’ll be here at three pm. See you then.”

 

Snape nodded stiffly and swirled around.

 

”Good-bye, Professor,” launched Harry after the fleeing black figure, but Snape was already out of the door with a determined look in his eyes.