Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Major Thanks to my reviewers!
Family

It was half nine when Severus returned to Hogwarts with a box full of item from his expedition to Grainne Figg’s magically concealed retreat by a lake not far from Glastonbury. The theories Sirius had related to him the night before had intrigued him and for several reasons, he hoped the mutt’s speculations were correct. For practical reasons, it would make it much easier, not to mention safer for all involved. A blood relation between Arabella and Hermione would augment the power of the potions and spells in a natural fashion thus making them harder to detect. He couldn’t ignore the personal and emotional benefits of such a relationship existing, either; it would ease the transition for all of them, especially for the girl. It would give her a true sense of belonging, of being family and not a charity case. Legally, it would simplify matters extremely, as by wizarding law, Arabella would be her next closest relative and thus Ms. Granger’s legal guardian. Not that it would even be an issue until after Voldemort was defeated and it was once again safe to reveal her survival.

Placing the box down, Severus checked each of the potions he had left simmering ­ aging and de-aging potions and the blood bonding potions for Harry and Hermione, the masking and locking potions and a slew of paternity and relational testing potions. He was leaving nothing to chance; he had prepared the later potions to make sure they would be fooled by the spells used on Harry and Hermione. Satisfied that the potion he needed was ready, he summoned two smaller cauldrons, started a fire under them and filled each with a small amount of clear liquid from one of the larger cauldrons. Returning to the box of items, he pulled out the item he’d gone in search of ­ the baby album of Sirius and Arabella’s long missing aunt. Luckily, it did contain the lock of Livia Walsh’s hair he needed to prove ­ or disprove ­ any relation between the woman and Hermione Granger.

He had found the old album in a trunk in the Grainne Figg’s Lake Cottage attic, along with a trove of family treasures. The brass plate on the cover was tarnished with age, but still clearly read “Livia Mared Walsh.” Carefully, Severus extracted one strand from the preserved lock of hair then flipped to the back of the book and withdrew a worn envelope that was tucked into the binding. Carefully, he removed two strands from the lock of hair wrapped in simple tissue paper. Setting one of the strands from the envelope to the side, he dropped the other plus the strand from Livia’s baby book into one of the small cauldrons. He stirred four times clockwise, three counterclockwise and waited for the color to change to a vivid purple indicating the process had begun before noting the time. Going to his supply shelf, he retrieved the vial that contained the last remaining strands of hair Hermione had donated. He then took one hair from the vial and the set aside hair from the envelope and put them into the second cauldron. He stirred the potion, four times and then three and waited for the tell-tale purple. Checking the time, he sat back to wait.

Time seemed to tick by too slowly. As he waited, his mind drifted to the contents of the letter he’d found in the back of the album. The letter had been from Livia herself and was addressed to her mother and sister. The letter was full of rather profound revelations, including why she left -her pregnancy by a man other than her fiancÈ, and the name of her child - Anne Livia. Livia went on to give a detailed explanation of how she had bound her child’s magic to hide her from the wizarding world and a promise to write again. There were no other letters or any indication of the identity of her child’s biological father. If Hermione proved to be the granddaughter of Bella’s aunt, he’d have to do some investigating to see if he could come up with a reasonable guess to the paternity of Livia’s baby. With the way pureblooded families inter-married, if there was even a remote chance of a small blood tie between himself and Hermione, he could use it to augment the strength of the spells.

Finally, the first of the potions was ready. Taking a vial, he marked it Livia Mared/Anne Livia before pouring into it a small amount of the liquid from the cauldron. Holding the liquid up to light, he marveled at the crystal, sky blue color -a positive test. With a sigh of relief and increased anticipation, he placed the vial down and retrieved a second vial. He labeled it Anne Livia/ Hermione and poured a sample from the second cauldron into it. Taking a deep breath, he held this one up to the light. A small smile curled the edges of his lips as he gazed at the pale, sky blue liquid.

Hermione Granger, by tradition, had every right to the name Figg. She was Arabella’s cousin. She was family.

** = ^ = ** ** = ^ =**

It was half eleven when Severus arrived in the Haven. As he walked into the common room, he saw Sirius sitting in one of the chairs, making final revisions and preparations for spells they would be casting over Hermione and Harry the next evening. Walking over to him, he placed the album and a wand box on the table in front of Sirius. “Read the note inside the album first,” he said curtly before walking off to the rooms he shared with Bella and placing the box of remaining books and items on a table for later review. Severus then headed in the direction of his son’s room, hoping that after the strain of the previous night, Harry would be resting. As he neared the room, he could hear Arabella’s voice, muffled by a partial closed door, giving an explanation of Avalon, its history and magic. Based on the period in history, he knew she hadn’t been teaching long. As he stood outside the door she completed a brief overview of the fall of what Muggles usually refer to as Camelot, the death of Merlin and the end of the old ways.

“... By 300 CE, Christianity’s firm hold on England made it highly dangerous for witches and wizards, especially children who could not always control their magic. Magic was considered demonic by the clergy and as time moved on the people forgot the old ways, leaving behind only vague recollections and superstition.

After the death of Arthur and the ascension of a fully Christian Saxon king, Morgainne retreated to Avalon with what remained of her priestesses, adepts and the Druids. Using their combined abilities, they warded Avalon so fully that no one, save those specifically taught could ever find their way onto the island. Essentially, they removed it from the muggle world.”

“Forgive me for interrupting,” Hermione said, “but how accurate are the muggle legends of Camelot? Who is Morgainne? And how do you remove an island?”

Arabella laughed softly, her delight at Hermione’s inquisitiveness apparent. Cautiously, Severus pushed the door open and stepped through, compelled to join them. For a tense moment, he wondered if entering had been the right choice; he could feel the tension in the room escalating. Arabella, however, smile at him and rose from her seat to greet him. Taking his hand, she squeezed it, “Morning Severus. You were up early.”

He nodded, not quite sure what to say in reply and uncomfortable about explaining his early departure. Her smile grew wider as she pulled him closer with one hand, expanding the chair she had been sitting in with a flick of her wand in the other.

“Sit,” she commanded. He obeyed her automatically and she was soon settling in the chair beside him, her back leaning against his. His first reaction was to be slightly uneasy; it had been years since he had allowed any sort of it physical contact in public. Although the three others in the room were or would be his family, in actuality, they were virtual strangers to him. Only his extreme control over his expressions and to some extent his physical reactions that allowed him to keep from blushing or putting some space between him and his wife. Within a minute, he had willed his body to relax. It was then that he realized he wasn’t the only one who had been uncomfortable. Both Harry and Hermione were trying to avert their eyes inconspicuously.

Harry’s eyes flashed up at him, or rather them, fleetingly and he seemed to be trying to keep his voice a normal tone as he continued their earlier conversation, “I know you can ward objects and places to discourage muggles for noticing them, like they do for Hogwarts and at the World Cup.” As he spoke, his voice grew more confident and sounded thoughtful; the tone betraying his interest. “But how do you remove it?”

He studied his son as the boy spoke, regretting that his bitterness toward James had never let him see how inquisitive Harry was. His green eyes had deepened in color and had become narrower and slightly slanted. Oddly, the color reminded him more strongly of Lily. The shape of the eyes exposed his keen intelligence and gave his son a mysterious quality as opposed to the wide-eyed naÔvetÈ he had before. He also didn’t seem to need his glasses any longer.

“The muggle legends about King Arthur are based in fact. However, they have been tainted by the Christian clergy’s teachings on magic and the misinterpreting or misrepresentation of the ancient religions, especially their views of women and magic. There are quite a few elements of the story, such as the sword and scabbard, the Knights themselves, the three Ladies that carried Arthur to Avalon, Merlin, that are true. They were far too engrained and integral to the story to be dismissed. As for who Morgainne was -she was the Lady of the Lake when Arthur died, and his half-sister. She is most commonly called Morgan Le Fey in muggle versions.” Arabella answered then paused.

Severus could see she was considering how to answer Harry’s question about the Isle of Avalon. The attention of both teens was firmly on Arabella as she glanced up to him. He could see her consternation. “Over a span of hundreds of years before the fall of Camelot, Avalon -or the magical Avalon - was separated and hidden. The closest comparison I can give you would be how magic can expand an interior space without affecting the exterior dimensions -like magically enlarging a trunk. In many ways, Magical Avalon and the Isle of Avalon existed simultaneously in the same physical space, yet remained separate. Unless one knows how to open the veil or mists, they could not cross into Avalon.”

Bella continued, “Legend says the magic used to accomplish this was a gift or knowledge passed on from the Fey, who had used similar magic to protect their realms millennia before the even the Romans came to Britain. After the fall, the Council of Avalon further hid the isle by camouflaging the mists that surrounded it from non-Avalon trained eyes.”

“So not just any witch or wizard can find Avalon,” Harry said.

“No, only those trained to see,” she replied.

“Will you teach us?”

“Of course. There is much I want to teach you both about Avalon. There are many who learn the first lessons of Avalon. Only the best are accepted as Adepts and allowed to continue the training. It is the adepts who learn the true secrets of the ancient magic. Those that complete the training earn the title of Lady or Druid. Of those few, only a handful are taught the complete secrets and those are the ones being prepared to assume a mantel of leadership. The Council itself consists of the Lady and the Merlin of Avalon, three minor ladies and two druids. If I have my way, one day both of you will sit on that council, but there is much for you to learn and many years of catching up to do.”

A knock at the door interrupted any further conversation. The door pushed open to reveal a smiling Sirius.

“Bella, can I talk to you?” he asked, his excitement obvious.

Bella nodded and excused herself. Shortly after, Hermione smiled and excused herself leaving him alone with his son. Both shifted uncomfortably in their seats. Severus just stared at him unabashedly. His son’s dark hair, as he had noted before, was thick, silky and had a soft wave around his ears -Lily’s hair. His face was oval shaped, with prominent cheekbones. His nose was straight and just prominent enough to balance his other features. His lips well formed, but not full or thin like his. He would be handsome young man once he filled out some.

“Thank you, sir,” Harry said softly.

Severus looked toward his son, whose eyes were looking back at him unsurely.

“For what?” Severus asked, genuinely curious.

“For staying with me. I heard you. I knew you were there.”

“I wouldn’t have been anywhere else.” An awkward silence settled over the two before Severus asked, “How are you feeling?”

“Alright I guess. A bit odd, like there is a current running through me. Tired, too.”

Severus felt his eye brows raise at Harry’s statement. His description sounded like a power surge, which were extremely unusual. Most wizarding children gained their power gradually up and until their fifteenth year. After that, it was a matter of learning to use that power effectively. “Sounds like the spells on you suppressed powers or traits you may have inherited from me traits that James couldn’t provide. You should be careful until we can ascertain if you have any additional gifts.”

“Traits? Like what?” Harry asked, his curiosity and trepidation warring in his expression.

“Several of the wizarding gifts are actually recessive traits, much in the same way as your green eyes. They require both parents to possess the trait, even in the dormant state, for it to be passed on to the child. Parsel...” Severus words trailed off as he realized the implications of what he was explaining to his son and his eyes darted to the journal on Harry’s bedside table. Lily was descended from Salazar Slytherin, a parselmouth, through his eldest son’s daughter. Severus’ own family was descended from Salazar’s youngest son. A chill ran down his spine as he realized that Voldemort, in all likelihood, hadn’t actually transferred powers to Harry, at all. Instead, the curse backfiring had caused traits Voldemort shared with Harry to emerge or override the spells used to protect the secret of his paternity. Which means there was a chance other traits had emerged as well -like Gifts of the Mind. He shuddered to think of the horrors his son had suffered over the years if he did have the gift and was connected to Voldemort in some way.

“Father?”

Harry’s hesitant, questioning voice drew Severus’ mind into focus. He forced a smile and asked, “Have,” he paused briefly, “do you ever see the Dark Lord in your dreams?” Even as he asked the question, he prayed the answer would be no. His son’s wide, alarmed eyes and slight nod told him his prayers were for naught.

“Will you allow me to test you?” Severus asked. “I would like to see if you inherited another of the gifts from me. If so, we will need to begin training you immediately, before he discovers it and tries to use it against you.”

“He,” Harry questioned, his concern and confusion clear, “you mean Vold...”

“Don’t speak the name,” Severus cut him off curtly and regretted his harsh tone immediately. He could see the protective barriers fly up behind his son’s eyes and Severus cringed internally knowing it was his fault. In a more rational, gentler voice, he explained, “If there is a connection between you and him, then saying his name is like calling out to him in a crowded room. Eventually, he will hear you and focus in on your voice. It would lead him to your connection. Until I am sure you are safe, please do not use his name. Don’t even think it.”

Harry nodded; he seemed a bit shaken by the strength of the concern in Severus’ voice. He could see his son retreating into himself; he wanted to reach out and pull his son into his arms, promise him he would protect him. Promise him that everything would be okay. Severus knew, however, it was a promise he might not be able to keep, no matter how strong his desire to do so. Leaning forward in the chair, he met Harry’s worried eyes. “Will you trust me, Harry?” he asked in a soft voice. He had used Harry’s true, given name instead of his alternate name in hopes it would reassure his son and not remind him of added burdens.

He waited anxiously for an answer. Harry stared at him at first, and then slowly nodded. “Okay,” he said, his voice strong. “What do I need to do?”

“I have been told that you are able to throw off the Imperius. While the sensation is different, the skill used to throw off an intruder in your mid is similar. I want you to give yourself a chance to experience it and then try whatever you can to throw me off.”

Harry nodded and reached over to retrieve his wand from the bedside table. Not wanting his son to be too prepared, knowing that taking him unaware would tell him far more, he attacked. “Legilimens,” he called, his wand aimed at his son.

Suddenly, he was watching memories fly by -his son at five, being chased around a schoolyard by several children. A smiling boy, running around in a small yard with a broom between his legs; Severus could hear Bella’s gentle laugh. He saw his son at seven, heard a large man bellow at him, calling him a freak and shoving him into a cupboard. He watched as his nine year old struggled against Bella, begging not to be sent back to his aunt and uncle. He saw a black hooded figure swooping toward him in the forbidden forest; he saw a basilisk sink his fang into the boys arm. The last thing he heard before feeling the backwash of a power surge wash over him was Voldemort’s words, “Kill the spare.”

He found himself pacing the floor of his room, his small infant son in his arms. He was whispering to him that he would never stop loving him. He heard a startled cry and jumped from his seat under a tree, moving rapidly towards the frightened toddler and swept him into his arms just as Lily and Bella rushed to them. He was in Dumbledore’s office, his heart crumbling as he listened to the elder wizard tell him that his wife had been stripped from him and believed him dead. He was sitting in the Great Hall as the newest group of first years made their way into the room. Amongst them was a short boy with messy black hair and round wire glasses. The boy looked exactly like the prat, James Potter and he was filled with a sudden surge of hatred.

With surge of will, he forced up his mental walls. The power of the magical feedback tossed him against the footboard of his son’s bed. He willed his mind to clear and his breathing to return to normal. He hadn’t meant to shove Harry out of his mind so strongly, but the panic he had felt when he realized exactly what Harry was seeing had overwhelmed him. The very idea of his son knowing -literally -the bitter animosity he had felt toward him that first of September ripped at his heart. A flood of self-hatred crashed over him. He should have fought against the feeling harder; he had anxiously awaited Harry’s arrival at Hogwarts. How could he have not known something was wrong immediately with his reaction upon seeing him? He should have refused to allow the charm in the first place. At the very least, he should have insisted that damned charm have some kind of fail-safe for him or a way to remove it if something happened. He should have known what could have happened! Biting back against the anguish, he fought for some measure of composure as he opened his eyes to look upon his son.

Harry had slid back as far as he could, pressing his back against the headboard of his bed. His knees were drawn into his chest, but it was the look on his face that captivated Severus. Harry wore a vague, bittersweet smile and his eyes glistened brightly with unshed tears. Confusion and enlightenment warred for dominance of his expression. Slowly, Harry relaxed, his legs sliding into a cross-legged position and his hands dropping down into his lap.

“It’s alright,” Harry said softly before dropping his gaze to his hands. He watched as his son struggled to maintain control over his emotions. Gradually, Harry raised his eyes again. “H... Livia told me about the charm, how it worked in more detail. At least, I know now that you wanted to see me until the charm took effect.” Harry’s voice was a bit hesitant, as if he was afraid he’d read the memory he had seen wrong.

A soft knock on the his son’s bedroom door stopped him from responding, from telling his son that he had wanted to see him, even if he hadn’t been sure how to develop a relationship with him and maintain his cover. Turning around, Severus saw Remus standing in the threshold starring at Harry, a small smile starting to curl his lips.

“Sirius asked me to come get you, Severus,” Remus said, his eyes not leaving Harry. Glancing back at his son, he saw him nervously fidgeting with the edge of his pajama top. “You look good, Harry,” Remus said as he moved into the room and closer to the bed. “I can see more of your mother in you. I think you got her hair -well, except for the color.” Remus eyes flitted toward Severus quickly before he looked back at Harry and said in a conspiratorial tone, “Good thing, too. You could have ended up with your father’s hair.”

Severus narrowed his eyes as he stared at Remus laughing continence. His son’s soft chuckles though relaxed him and he found himself straining not to smile, as well. Rising from his seat, he turned to Remus. “Would you mind staying with Harry?” he asked. Remus nodded immediately. Severus looked back at his son. “There is Dreamless Sleep Potion on your dresser. I want you to take some in a half hour and get some rest. Don’t go to sleep without it.” He turned away then, ignoring Remus questioning look as he exited the room.

He spotted Bella and Sirius sitting on the sofa in the common room. A teary, but smiling Hermione sat between them. He could see Livia Mared Walsh’s baby album clutched against Hermione’s chest. As he approached, Hermione glanced up at him a smiled softly.

“I see they have shared the news,” he said.

“Yes, sir. Thank you for going to so much trouble for me,” she said sincerely. Looking at all of them, she continued, “If you will excuse me, I would like to go tell Harry.”

“I asked him to take Dreamless Sleep Potion and get some rest in just under a half hour. I would appreciate it if you would see he does,” Severus said as she rose from her seat. Hermione nodded then walked toward the private rooms. A few feet away, she stopped and turned back to face him.

“Professor, I was wondering if we could do the spells tonight. I know we planned to do them tomorrow night, but,” she paused and shifted self-consciously. “Harry’s always wanted a family, sir. He once told me that he envied Ron having brothers and a sister. I’m not really in any position to get him a gift this year and the one I had was destroyed. I know he usually unwraps his gifts just after midnight on his birthday. I thought, that maybe, I could, well, if we did the spells then, it would be like giving Harry a family for his birthday.” She looked down at her feet when she finished speaking.

Severus walked over to her, placing his hand beneath her chin and raising her eyes. “I would be glad to start the process this evening, Livia. I will speak to Professor Dumbledore shortly and arrange for his assistance this evening. Perhaps we should keep this to ourselves for now -a surprise for Harry?”

Hermione smiled at him, “Thank you, sir. I think it will mean a lot to him.” With a quick glance and nod toward Bella and Sirius, she turned and disappeared into the private chambers.

Severus turned his attention to Bella and Sirius and knowing other way soften the news, said, “Harry has inherited the mind gifts.” He watched as his companions paled considerably, “I need to talk to Dumbledore and then go to Diagon Alley for some supplies. When I get back, I would like to start the spells. I want to get to Tywyllwch as soon as possible.”

“Do you think the wards there will shield him?” his wife asked, alarm colouring her voice.

“I don’t know, Bella,” he said, fear creeping into his voice. “I hope so, but we need to move legilimency and occlumency training to top priority.” Both nodded at his assessment; Sirius eyes drifted in the direction of Harry’s room. It was painful obvious how strongly he cared for Harry. As much as he disliked the man, he respected and appreciated the man’s decision and effort not to let the recent revelations about Harry affect how he felt for Severus’ son. Suddenly, Sirius’ expression changed to one of fierce determination and he spun around to face them.

“I’ll send Remus for Dumbledore; I’ll fill him in on what we’ve learned and make arrangements for the spells.” Looking to his sister, Sirius continued, “Bella, go with him. Two of you together can get whatever you need, quicker. It doesn’t matter if people see you now, they’ll be learning of your return soon enough. Dumbledore will be informing the Ministry next week of yours and Remus’ teaching positions.”

Severus agreed. Urgency had seeped into his soul, pushing him to move faster, telling him time was of the essence. Bella dashed off toward their room and returned dressed in simple robes, a cloak fastened about her neck with a simple silver broach. With one last glance at toward his son’s room, Severus walked toward the tunnels as he pulled out his portkey that would return him to Hogwarts, his wife falling into step silently beside him.