Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you all for the reveiws! I love getting reveiws!!
Family, part 2

It was half four when Severus exited Gringotts where he had retrieved several special items from the Snape Family vault. Immediately, he headed toward the Owl Emporium, where he had agreed to meet Bella. They had split their list of needs. Bella went to purchase personal items - robes, accessories, toiletries, trunks and school bags. She also took care of standard school supplies, with the exception of potions, and an item or two that Sirius had requested. Severus had procured the books and potions supplies they would need. He bought several different mediation aids for both Harry and Hermione. Mediation and focusing one’s mind where primary tools in both Legilimency and Occlumency and had been very beneficial in Bella’s healing training.

When he arrived outside the shop, he looked around for Bella. When he didn’t see her, he entered the store and walked casually down the aisles, taking little notice of the variety of owls that perched on branches behind the iron bars as he looked for his wife.

“Good afternoon, sir.”

The sound of Draco Malfoy’s voice startled Severus and he spun around quickly. Draco, himself, seemed surprised - not by catching him of guard, but by the fact that Severus didn’t hide his shock.

“I’m sorry, sir. I didn’t mean to disturb...” Draco’s voice trailed off as he caught sight of Severus’ hand. His eyes grew wide as he stared at the wedding band. “You did find her!” he exclaimed in a hushed voice.

Severus smiled. “And much more, Draco.”

“More, Severus?”

The smooth drawl of Lucius Malfoy’s voice came from behind him. Turning, Severus smiled slowly at the man. “Lucius,” he greeted the elder Malfoy before turning his attention to the beautiful blonde woman at his side, “Narcissa, it is lovely to see you.” Stepping forward, he grasped the woman’s hand and kissed her on the cheek. Looking back to Lucius, he said, “I am glad to see you both. I have been meaning to contact you. I have news.”

“Is Draco right? Did you find Arabella?” Narcissa asked, her calm, cultured voice revealing none of the excitement he could see in her eyes.

“Yes, Cissa,” Severus said. “I have indeed found them.”

“Them?” Narcissa asked, her elegant eyebrows arching up and a thin, curious smile spreading across her lips.

“Yes, them,” Severus replied, “Arabella and my children.” He paused, watching the astounded expressions on his friends faces turn into pleased and curious smiles. “I have a son named Darrius and,” he paused, smirking as he looked Draco straight in the eye, “a daughter named Livia.” He watched as Draco’s eyes growing wide as the implications set in.

“Livia?” Draco croaked, sounding shocked and nervous. Severus smiled; it was obvious that Draco knew of the arrangement between the two families.

Lucius chuckled softly at his son’s reaction, then said, “Really, Draco, compose yourself.”

“Where have they been, Severus? Why didn’t we know about them?” The velvety, happy tone of Narcissa’s voice belied her cunning, inquisitive nature.

“I would be glad to explain more later, when there are fewer ears to hear,” Severus said softly, careful not to reveal too much. He could feel several eyes turn toward them, unaccustomed to hearing such a pleased sound from the likes of Lady Narcissa Malfoy. “Careful, Cissa or people might believe you are actually human,” Severus said slyly.

“Because I didn’t know they had survived until just after I was told Severus was dead,” Arabella replied as she approached from behind Lucius and Narcissa. As his friends turned around, Severus watched Bella push the hood from her cloak back, exposing her face. A mischievous smile curled her lips and her eyes twinkled with merriment. “Hello, Cissa,” she said, paying little attention to either Lucius or Draco.

He watched as both women simply stared at each other, as both sets of eyes began to glisten in the soft light of the store. Finally, it was Narcissa who moved first, stepping forward to embrace Arabella.

“I have missed you, cousin,” the blonde woman said softly. When she pulled away, her face showed obvious sadness and concern. “The twins were born in mid-June, weren’t they?”

Arabella’s face fell slightly, a look of grief passing across her features. Severus’ marveled at his wife’s perfectly scripted reaction. “Yes, they were,” she replied, her voice soft with a subtle, but deliberate bitterness. Narcissa closed her eyes and muttered something under her breath; something that sounded remarkably like “damn Sirius” before she opened them again. Arabella then turned to face the senior male Malfoy, extending her hands to him in a gesture of greeting. Lucius took her hands in his, bowing low to place a kiss on the top of each hand.

“Welcome home, Lady,” he said, his tone full of admiration and respect. Severus could feel the eyes on them and hear the slight murmured reactions those present had to the gallant behavior of a man most commonly known for his elitism. He narrowed his eyes, sending warning stares at those standing around, noting the reactions of the young and probable Muggleborns, as well as the surprised and somewhat awed and apprehensive reactions of those old enough to recognize Bella. Unconsciously, he stepped closer to her, his hand coming to rest on her lower back. She glanced up at him briefly, smiling reassuringly at him before stepping forward to place a brief kiss on Lucius’ cheek. Severus could see her whisper softly into his ear and saw a flash of regret and understanding in the blond man’s eyes.

Arabella stepped back then, slipping her arm around Severus and resting her palm in the middle of his back. Her attention turned toward Draco, who shifted a bit nervously under her scrutiny. She smiled at him as she extended her hand to him, “You have grown into a handsome young man, Draco. I’m sure Livia will be pleased to know that.” The lilt of her voice and the slight smirk that curled her lips revealed her intention of teasing the young man. Draco flushed at her comment, his eyes darting to her outstretched hand to his parents and back quickly.

Severus waited, a bit anxious to see if Draco would actually take Bella’s hand. The boy’s reaction suggested that he did know of Bella’s skills and that he was unsure of what she would think of him. His hesitation showing either knowledge or, perhaps, a simple anxiety that Bella would find something objectionable about him. It was only a few seconds, however, before Draco’s worry was masked by a look of assurance that bordered on cockiness. Reaching out, he grasped her hand firmly and drew it up in a manner reminiscent of his father’s earlier display.

“Greetings, Lady. It is an honor to meet you. I look forward to meeting both your children,” he said, bowing slightly at the waist.

“Ah and such a gentlemen,” Bella replied, holding firmly to his hand. “I think you would make a fine husband for my Livia.” Severus found in it difficult to restrain his smile at his wife’s teasing and testing. He could see the poor boy was rapidly loosing his wits as his eyes grew a bit wide and he tried to force a smile. Narcissa and Lucius seemed to be equally amused at the display. He heard a small gasp nearby, a quick glance revealed Grecia Goyle, the 11 year-old daughter of the Death Eater - ArmandGoyle, hiding just behind an aisle's shelving fixture. He felt his smile spread a bit at the perfect timing of his wife’s statement, especially knowing she could not have timed it better had she specifically planned for that specific girl to hear her. Severus was sure Grecia would tell her father immediately and he would go straight to Crabbe, Parkinson and the others with it. No - it could not have been timed any better.

Arabella took a step forward again; placing herself close enough to Draco to speak softly, for his ears alone. “Do not worry, Draco. I will not force my daughter on you or vice versa. You will have plenty of time to get to know each other. I fully intend to educate as befits a Lady of Avalon -and as such, you could not officially marry her until after her 21st year.” She then placed a small kiss on Draco’s cheek and stepped back, smiling at him.

Severus could see the tension drain out of the young blond and a genuine smile replace the tense, contrived one he had worn earlier. “If she is half as beautiful and intelligent as you, Lady, I will wait as long as necessary for her hand.”

Bella laughed; a clear, bright sound that warmed Severus’ heart. Merlin, he had missed her laugh. Releasing Draco’s hand, she turned toward his parents. “He is wonderful! I hope you will consider visiting us at Tywyllwch Hold next week -say August 5? That should give us enough time to thoroughly settle in.”

“We would be honored,” Lucius replied for his family.

“Good, it's settled then,” Arabella, said before turning toward her husband. “Do you have everything?”

“Just one last purchase and we can go,” Severus replied before signaling the shopkeeper. Quietly, he gave the man his instructions and payment. Taking the two covered traveling carriers, he returned, bid the Malfoy’s good by and escorted his wife from the store. Together, they made their way to an apparition point to head home. As the neared Hogwarts, Severus stopped and watched his wife as she walked.

It was slowly becoming real to Severus; that his wife was home -that he had a son. Soon he would have a daughter, as well. He wasn’t a fool. He was well aware he had spent the past 14 or so years being quite the bastard. He had never been a warm or happy person, yet watching the way his wife moved, simply seeing her made him feel both emotions. It terrified him to think that time may have changed him too much and that he could lose her. So much had happened since they had been reunited, they really hadn’t had time to just be, to adjust and figure out where they fit into each other’s lives. She stopped a few steps from him and then turned. She smiled at him, an inquisitive and amused expression on her face.

“You are beautiful, Arabella,” he said. She smiled at him, tilting her head to the side as she studied him. “I have missed you.” His voice was gentle and smooth as he took a step toward her and held out his hand. He watched as she moved toward him, smiling brightly as she placed her hand in his and laced their fingers together. He could see her eyes mist over and didn’t need to hear her say she had missed him to see it in her every expression and feel it in the way she held fast to his hand. Releasing her fingers, he captured her face between his hands, “I have become a cold man without you, Bella, but I never stopped loving you.”

Bella reached up and took one of his hands into hers and moved it to her lips and kissed his palm gently. “Everything will be alright. You have not grown as cold as you think,” she replied. Squeezing his hand gently, she continued, “We will have time to start over and rebuild our lives, Sev, once we reach Tywyllwch. I promise.”

“I will hold you to that, Bella.”

“I hope you do, Sev.” She said, smiling at him. He could feel her reassurance running into him from where she clasped his hand. She turned back toward the castle, pulling him gently behind her. The soft sound of Bella joyous laugh filled the air as they walked toward the magnificent building lit in the rays of the setting sun. He found himself smiling, feeling hope for the first time in years as he followed her. His life was falling back into place, he had all the pieces now and he wasn’t going to let anything or anyone stand in his way.

Chapter End Notes:

Name Info:

Taliesin is the name of the Merlin of Britian in Mists when Arthur is young and when he takes the throne. Basically, he is the famous historical "Merlin," the great wizard.