Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
First.. thank you to my new beta (who just sent me the chapter that follows this one all nicely beta’d for me!! Ahzure.. you are life saver!) And to my reviews… ever the source of motivation!!
New Year, New Family, New Life Part III

It was almost midnight. Just fifteen more minutes and he would turn fifteen. He fought against the desire to crawl into bed, pull the covers over his head and just sleep. The last 24 hours had been anything but uneventful. It started with the remaining spells collapsing in one moment, sending his body into shock. He had discovered the entry about the weapon and how to find the information that would lead them to it. His Aunt Petunia had relinquished custody of him to Arabella and Severus had reclaimed his status as Harry’s father from James Potter.

They had let him alone after Petunia had left; given him time to adjust and say good-bye, in a way, to James and Lily. He was grateful for that, just as he was grateful for Hermione’s intrusion an hour later. She had barged into his room, told him she was hungry and didn’t want to wait on him for dinner any longer. She’d then walked up to him, hugged him tight and told him she loved him and always would – just like James and Lily Potter. She’d then informed him that his family had made a birthday feast just for him and that he should come celebrate his birthday with a group of people who loved him. It had felt right to take her hand and allow her to pull him out of his room.

Over dinner, the “adults” had explained to him and Hermione how they would be proceed with the spells – including one twist for which Harry had not been prepared. The De-Aging; apparently for the bonding and appearance spells to be as effective as possible it was necessary for them to be imbedded into the very cells of his and Hermione’s .The best way to do that was literally grow under the spell, as he had done with the spells that linked him to James Potter. Which was why it wasn’t good enough to use a basic de-aging spell; a basic spell didn’t re-grow cells and bone, it simply wore off and return the user back to their original age. Severus chose a more ancient spell, one that would permanently de-age them while the used special spells to protech memories or stored knowledge. To return them to their actual ages, they would use a re-aging potion. As they grew, the blood-boding potions would become engrained in himself and Hermione on a cellular level, making it that much stronger and harder to detect.

Harry wasn’t too pleased with the idea but the benefits far outweighed all the risks and discomfort. Aside from the obvious benefits as far as protecting their charade from exposure, there were the emotional ones as well. It would also give him a chance to know what it was like to have a real family, to grow up with parents that cared for him, to have a sibling. All things he had dreamed about while locked in his cupboard on Privet Drive. He figured, for those reasons alone, it was worth all the pain and trouble. It was actually one of the best birthday presents he had ever received.

On the foot of his bed were five wrapped boxes; birthday presents from his friends that had arrived earlier in the day. Knowing he would have plenty of time tomorrow but needing something to pass the time now, he grabbed some brown wrapping paper and neatly wrapped it around his old Firebolt and tied string around it to secure it. Grabbing some parchment, he wrote a quick note to Ron; he told him briefly to enjoy his broom for the summer and asked him to look after “Hedwig” for him until he saw him again. He was careful to not mention anything in the letter that could endanger him or others if it was intercepted. He would have to explain later that “Hedwig” wasn’t really Hedwig. With an extra bit of string, he attached the letter to the broom and hoped Ron would forgive him for all the things he had failed to tell him this summer. Dumbledore had already promised to pass a message to the Weasley’s, especially Ron, that he and Hermione’s had wanted to talk to them about what they decided to do and “other things” but they simply didn’t have time.

Glancing up at the clock beside his bed, he noticed the time – 11:58 PM. He smiled, reached for one of the boxes and waited for the numbers to change. Shortly after 11:59, there was a knock on his door. He looked up to see the door creak open and Hermione poke her head inside.

“May we come in?” she asked.

“Sure,” he replied and watched as the door opened further to reveal Hermione, Sirius and Remus.

“Snape and Bella will be here in a moment. The needed to get something,” Sirius said as he walked over and sat on the bed beside Harry and handed him a small wrapped box. With a smile, Harry tore the wrapping paper way to reveal a large dark velvet green pouch. He looked up questioningly at his godfather.

“Go on, open it,” Sirius replied with a mischievous gleam in his eyes.

Harry grinned impishly. Pulling open the threads, he peeked inside before sending a perplexed look toward Sirius. Reaching into the bag, he pulled out a hand-held mirror. Looking, again, to his godfather, he raised his eyebrows in question and waited for the explanation. Sirius laughed at his expression and pulled a matching mirror from inside his robes. Holding it up, as if he were checking his reflection, Sirius smiled and said, “Darrius.”

Harry felt the mirror he was holding warm just a bit. He looked down at it and almost dropped it when, instead of his own reflection, he saw Sirius staring back at him. He felt his grin grow wide as his eyes darted between Sirius’ smiling reflection and Sirius, himself.

“You can reach me anytime through the mirror. I hope to be able to spend more time at Hogwarts this year, but when I am away, I will take the mirror with me. They are charmed to work together and are activated by authorized magical signatures.”

“Thank you, Sirius,” Harry said, both grateful for the gift and relieved that he would have a better, safer – not to mention quicker - means to contact his godfather.

He opened the Weasley’s gifts next, finding the expected assortment of sweats from Ron and a box of sample merchandise from Weasley Wizarding Wheezes. Harry also found one unexpected item that both touched him and left him feeling slightly guilty – a picture, or rather a family portrait. Smiling back at him were the faces of a majority of the Weasley clan, all gathered around two empty chairs at the kitchen table. Attached was a card that read,

Harry –

Happy Birthday. Remember – you always have a place with us.

Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, Bill and Ginny

(Ron, Gred and Forge, too)

P.S – Harry - I know it’s a bit corny, but we all wanted you to know that, no matter what, we consider you a good friend; one of the family. That goes for Hermione, too. Mum and I thought this would be a good way. Every time you look at it, you will know you have a place with us. – Ginny

Harry suddenly wished he had spent some time with the Weasleys when then were at Haven; taken the time to let them know how grateful he was for their friendship. He wished he could tell them what was happening. There was a second knock on his door. He looked up and he found himself smiling genuinely as his father and Arabella entered his room. Arabella approached him, leaning down to kiss him on the top of his head. He blushed at her show of motherly affection, shifting a bit uncomfortably but smiling all the same. Sirius and Remus both laughed merrily at his display, earning them both a glare.

Remus’ expression grew serious and he stepped toward Harry. The older man glanced warily at his father and then back at him and extended a set of bound papers to him. “Harry, this is something I have been thinking of doing since your third year at Hogwarts. Recent events, however, have made it imperative that I do this now, while I still can.” Harry felt his eyes grow wide at Remus’ statement, alarmed at the implications that the man could be sick or worse. Remus smiled gently before continuing, “Nothing like that Ha..Darrius. Just the Ministry being the Ministry. Anyway, when Sirius and Bella told me the news about Livia this afternoon, I asked Professor Dumbledore to help me draw up these documents.”

Remus released the bundle into Harry’s hand. Curious, he immediately began to unwrap the ribbon that bound the papers together. As he unrolled the parchment, he felt Hermione climb up behind him and look over his shoulder. Harry couldn’t believe what he saw. He was overwhelmed and judging by the way Hermione leaned against him, she was as well. He felt his eyes begin to tear as he looked up at Remus, “I don’t know what to say.” Harry’s voice was a breath above a whisper.

“It’s not much. Just an old cabin, some property, old, tatty furniture, some pictures and other personal items. I would have lost it already if not for Arabella and Dumbledore.” He paused for a minute and Harry could see him struggling with his pride and desire for privacy. “As the law is now, I can’t marry or have children, which means I have no heir other than a cousin or two. The two of you are more family to me than any cousin. I would be honored if you would both allow me to name you as my heirs.”

“I would be honored,” Harry choked out past the lump that had formed in his throat. He watched Hermione walk over to Remus and embrace him, a bit envious of the ease with which she displayed her emotions. Standing, he waited for Hermione and Remus to separate. For an awkward moment, they just stared at each other before Harry stepped forward and embraced his former teacher. “Thank you, Remus. For everything,” he whispered to the older man.

Stepping back, Harry turned his attention to the others; he saw the tight smile on Sirius’ face and the emotions that rolled around behind his eyes: anger for a friend, pride in Harry and Hermione and love for all of them. Arabella didn’t bother to hide how touched she was by Remus’ gesture; Harry could see the tears that fell silently from her eyes and the bittersweet smile that graced her face. Severus’ features were tightly controlled, but Harry thought he could see something in his eyes, something like respect and understanding. His father stepped forward next and handed him a long, purple scroll tied with a red ribbon.

“This is from Bella and I,” he said.

Cautiously, he untied the ribbon. Harry and Hermione both gasped when the parchment scroll seemed to take on a life of it’s own and fly out of Harry’s hands; it twisted and folded itself like a maniacal origami until it resembled something of a howler.

“Darrius Snape, you are the lucky owner of a new Emeritty Professional Class Platinum Standard Limited Edition Quidditch training set. The set is complete with protective gear, a full assortment of quidditch balls and bats – including a special set preprogrammed with practice drills used by the professional teams. You set is currently being customized according to specifications provided by your father and will be delivered to you in five days.”

The message was delivered in a booming voice and once finished the scroll exploded, showering the occupants of the room in confetti. A small crème colored card floated down in front of Harry’s face. Reaching out, he read the inscription in neat and small script –

“To our son with all our love.

May you enjoy this gift for many years to come – Father

Please be careful! – Mother”

Harry smiled up at his father and Bella. “Thank you,” he said then turned to his stepmother, “and I promise to be careful - most of the time.”

Arabella looked like she was about to respond but yet another knock on the door interrupted her.

“Ah, I see I am right on time,” Professor Dumbledore said as he entered the room, his eyes twinkling merrily.

Harry glanced around the room and saw the secretive smiles on the faces of all present. “What’s going on?” he asked.

Hermione stepped forward, turning him gently to face her. “The Professor is here to help with my present to you,” she said, pausing to take a deep breath. “For as long as I’ve know you, you’ve wished for your parents, for a family. Until recently, I didn’t truly understand what it was you were missing. I thought I did, but I never imagined how scary and lonely it really felt. Then you turned around and offered me a place in your new family. It made me think, a lot. So I asked,” her voice broke as she tried to continue and her eyes shone brightly with uncertain tears, “Mother and Father if we could perform the charms and spells tonight. I remembered how you told me you envied Ron for his siblings. I wanted you to have the family you’ve wanted. It’s not much, I know, but…”

Harry cut her off by placing a finger over her lips. “It’s everything, ‘Mione,” he said. He was feeling so much, he wasn’t sure he could put it into words: happiness, love, excitement and a bit of fear, but mostly an amazing sense of gratitude for the gift of family – true family – he’d been given this year. And he didn’t just mean the opportunity to build a relationship with Severus and Arabella. And not just for a sister in Hermione and an uncle in Sirius, but also for Remus, who just loved him.

Bella stepped towards them and held out her hand to Hermione. “Are you ready?”

Hermione nodded and took her hand. Stepping closer to Severus, she released Bella and placed both of her hands, palms down onto of Professor Snape’s. Bella then placed her hands on top of Hermione’s. Harry watched and listened as Bella and his father performed the ceremonial spell that acted as a wizarding adoption. After a few minutes, a soft golden glow surrounded the trio. Dumbledore stepped up to them, placed his hands over theirs and added his voice to the spell turning the gold illumination to blue.

When the light dissipated, Dumbledore stepped away and Sirius immediately stepped forward to take his place, giving Hermione a hug and welcoming her to the family. Hermione then turned to Harry and smiled. Harry and Remus each took their turns at congratulating her until the Headmaster spoke up.

“I believe there are still several things to do before this evening is over.”

Hermione smiled and nodded and turned to Harry’s – and her – Father. “I’m ready, sir,” she said with a sureness Harry didn’t feel. He knew what came next – the de-aging potion. Hermione, however, took the potion confidently from Severus’ outstretched hand. She looked at it briefly before climbing onto Harry’s bed and downed the potion in one swallow, grimacing at the taste. She smiled at him; Harry smiled back trying not to show his concern. She twitched suddenly, her faced contorting in pain. Harry held his breath, his eyes widening only to jump back at the sound of a pop and an unexpected wail. Arabella immediately moved forward, swaddling an incredibly small Hermione in the clothes she had been wearing before lifting her up. His father moved in next and began coaxing potions down a protesting infant’s throat as Arabella cooed to her. Dumbledore, Sirius and Remus joined them; casting spells on the fussing infant in rapid succession. Finally, his father summoned two additional vials of potions and fed them to Hermione. He watched Arabella place his new sister into Severus’ arms and almost laughed at the frightened look that flashed across his features while he awkwardly settled the squirming bundle. With a flick of her wand, Arabella turned the swaddling into small sleeper and an indigo blue baby blanket.

Stepping closer, she gazed down on the infant girl and smiled, “we have a beautiful daughter, Sev.” Her voice was whisper soft; all his father seemed able to do was nod. After several seconds of simply starring at the wriggling infant in his arms, his father turned toward him. With a few short steps he closed the distance between them and cautiously held Hermione out to him. With the utmost care, Harry took his small sister into his arms and just stared down at her unable to take his eyes from the near-black ones that gazed up at him tiredly.

“So Harry,” his father said, “What do you think of your sister?”

Harry’s broke his gaze away from the baby to meet an equally black set of eyes, surprised by the use of his given name. “I think she is perfect, sir,” Harry responded.

“Are you ready?” Arabella asked.

Harry nodded as he handed Hermione over to Arabella, who in turn handed her to Sirius. He climbed onto the bed before his took the vial Severus held out to him; for a moment, he was frightened about what came next. He gazed over at Hermione one last time; she seemed quite content nestled in Sirius’ arms. Taking a fortifying breath, he downed the potion in one swallow, grimacing at the sour taste. At first, he felt nothing. In the next moment, his vision blurred and everything went dark.

When he opened his eyes again, everything seemed to be out of focus and distant. He struggled to make sense of what was happening. He couldn’t seem to move right; his limbs would respond. He was afraid. A loud, piercing cry erupted from him and then they were there. He could hear her talking to him and he knew he should understand the words, but the tone was enough – it was reassuring. Someone lifted him. It was the man – the familiar one. He could hear the man talking softly. He liked the man’s voice; it made him feel safe. He did not like the liquid the man poured down his throat. He cried. The man held him tighter, talked to him softly. The woman came closer and touched his cheek. Her hand felt warm. She made him feel better.

His eyes were so heavy. He was safe – warm. He felt like he was floating. He closed his eyes and dreamed of a funny man with glasses, a big black dog, a lady with bright green eyes, the man who held him and the woman who touched his cheek.