Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Printer The print whole story view may not work for longer stories.
[Reviews - 296] starstarstarstarhalf-star
Summary: Dark secrets and an even darker past threaten to destroy the boy on whom the entire wizarding world has pinned their hopes. Can Severus Snape find it within him to heal and accept the broken child of his nemesis, and in the process, ultimately heal and accept himself? (AU-ish, but follows canon. Severitus - mentor/adoption - WARNING: mentions sexual abuse, but no details) This story is part of the series, Right in Front of Me Trilogy. The next story in the series is Right Beside Me (Book 2).

Rated: T
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Drug use, Profanity, Rape, Violence
Series: Right in Front of Me Trilogy
Challenges: None
Published: 13 Mar 2016 - Updated: 10 Sep 2016
Awards:
Story Notes:

THERE IS NO HP/SS SLASH IN THIS STORY! Although filled with tormented anguish, "Right in Front of Me" is PURE HP&SS Gen! Please know that going in.

The idea for this story came to me while listening to a song by Amber Run, called "I Found." It's a beautiful song full of loneliness and the yearning to find peace with the ones you love. You may even recognize my story title if you listen closely…

I wasn't quite sure what to rate this story. It does include some adult themes, but nothing that you wouldn't see on "Law & Order: SVU". My neighbor and her 10-year-old daughter watch that show together, sooo… Ultimately I decided to leave it up to the reader. I DO get into some dark themes. However, I don't get into much graphic detail, because that is not what this story is about. The point was simply for me to rediscover my most beloved literary friends, to see how their behavior would change if their backstories had been peppered by trauma. I continually find myself attracted to damaged characters, as I find them much more interesting to explore.

My story is all about the "what if's" in the HP universe. What if these characters had been through even darker pasts than JK had already so beautifully set them on? If that murky, ambiguous, angst-ridden exploration makes you as curious and excited as it made me, then I hope you enjoy!

Table of Contents

1. Prologue by ShabbyBeachNest [Reviews - 10] starstarstarstarhalf-star (3995 words) Printer

You may recognize much of the Prologue for "Right in Front of Me". Chapter 37 of The Order of The Phoenix, entitled The Lost Prophecy, belongs in its entirety to JK Rowling. I have only borrowed bits and pieces of it in order to launch the beginning of the story, as it became apparent to me that this place in time is where "Right in Front of Me" truly begins.

The Lost Prophecy: Epilogue to "Right in Front of Me"

2. Chapter 1 by ShabbyBeachNest [Reviews - 6] starstarstarstarhalf-star (1633 words) Printer

3. Chapter 2 by ShabbyBeachNest [Reviews - 5] starstarstarstarstar (1561 words) Printer

4. Chapter 3 by ShabbyBeachNest [Reviews - 5] starstarstarstarhalf-star (2120 words) Printer

5. Chapter 4 by ShabbyBeachNest [Reviews - 3] starstarstarstarstar (1793 words) Printer

6. Chapter 5 by ShabbyBeachNest [Reviews - 5] starstarstarstarhalf-star (1213 words) Printer

7. Chapter 6 by ShabbyBeachNest [Reviews - 8] starstarstarstarstar (3423 words) Printer

8. Chapter 7 by ShabbyBeachNest [Reviews - 9] starstarstarstarstar (2594 words) Printer

9. Chapter 8 by ShabbyBeachNest [Reviews - 8] starstarstarstarstar (2119 words) Printer

10. Chapter 9 by ShabbyBeachNest [Reviews - 6] starstarstarstarhalf-star (3326 words) Printer

11. Chapter 10 by ShabbyBeachNest [Reviews - 4] starstarstarstarstar (3233 words) Printer

First off, THANK YOU SO MUCH for all of the follows, favorites, and reviews. As a creative writer, it is always nice to know that your work is appreciated. I'm continually amazed and very pleasantly surprised every single time I get a notification, as this story began simply as a way to excise my inner creativity demons. The fact that it has grown to not only entertain myself, but people all across the globe, is an added bonus for me. A BIG one. So… Thanks. ((Insert Hagrid-sized hug for each and every one of you. Smothering by wiry beard included.))

On another more personal note, I don't know about you, but whenever I'm reading (no matter what it is), I always think about the characters and wonder who the author sees in their mind. I have created a webpage for "Right in Front of Me" to show my readers who I see in mine, since not all of my characters are canon. And since this story has already evolved considerably from what was originally intended, I will update the page as more characters make themselves known to me. Unfortunately I cannot give you the direct web address, as that is not allowed, but if you are so inclined you can simply Google "Shabby Beach Nest - Right Front in of Me". It's the very first link that pops up.

This chapter was written while listening to "Lily's Theme". Because… Always.

12. Chapter 11 by ShabbyBeachNest [Reviews - 5] starstarstarstarstar (3789 words) Printer

Wow. Just… wow. Thank you all so very much for the follows, favorites, and reviews! As I've said before, this story is mainly for me… Or… it started out that way. Now I feel like it is not just my story, but OUR story. I'm SO, SO happy that I can share it with you all!

If you're curious to see Snape's photo with Lily (mentioned in Chapter 10), remember to Google "Shabby Beach Nest – Right in Front of Me"; it's the first or second link that pops up. I definitely cannot take credit for the polaroid idea – it's something that I remember seeing long ago, and it's always stuck with me. But because I didn't save it back then, I decided to recreate the photo for inspiration and, well… because I'm a nerd.

And for those of you that think Snape's redemption and acceptance of Harry happened a little fast, don't worry, I wholeheartedly agree. There is a lifetime of guilt, torment, and shame to untangle; I know that doesn't just happen in a day. Without saying too much, just remember that the story hasn't all played itself out yet (wink wink). I REALLY wish I could say more, but just stick with me. I promise we'll get there!

This chapter was written while listening to a song by Winter Aid, called "The Wisp Sings".

13. Chapter 12 by ShabbyBeachNest [Reviews - 3] starstarstarstarhalf-star (2727 words) Printer

Warning: Language and adult content ahead. This chapter was both exhilarating and horrifying for me to write. I've been oddly looking forward to it with some serious trepidation. I just want to reach through the pages and wrap my arms around Snape… But I have a feeling he would hex me into oblivion if I ever tried. Maybe someone else will have better luck.

Snape's time at the Dursley's was written while listening to Fink's "Warm Shadow". The rest was "Lily's Theme".

14. Chapter 13 by ShabbyBeachNest [Reviews - 9] starstarstarstarhalf-star (2957 words) Printer

Seriously you guys, reading your thoughts and reviews has become one of my favorite past times this past week (other than writing this story, of course.) Thank you to everyone that has taken the time… I always come away with a smile or a laugh after reading them. Like the woman who thought I must be around Harry's age (that gave me a good laugh – I'm in my 30's with a hubby and two kids); or the ones who wrote that they had to get to work but were having a hard time tearing themselves away (WHAT A COMPLIMENT!)

My favorites though are just hearing how much everyone is enjoying the characters themselves. Like I said in the beginning, I have a strange fascination with what makes people tick. I will do my best to continue living up to your expectations for all of our beloved literary friends!

And now, a bit of a lighter chapter after the horrific realizations of last chapter…

15. Chapter 14 by ShabbyBeachNest [Reviews - 10] starstarstarstarhalf-star (3055 words) Printer

This chapter is definitely not for the faint of heart. It took me longer than normal to write because it was difficult for me to tap into this much twisted horror… But it’s
necessary for the plot, so… Onwards.

16. Chapter 15 by ShabbyBeachNest [Reviews - 5] starstarstarstarstar (3218 words) Printer

**Author's Note: I'm so sorry that this chapter took a few extra days to be published. My soldier husband had to have emergency surgery, and the story took a back seat to the fear and chaos. He's good now (thank GOD), but as you can imagine it's been a little nuts around here. With two small children to look after, my business to run, and now my convalescing bed-ridden hubby to take care of for the next 30 days, it might take me a little longer than normal to get my chapters finished. It's literally been a paragraph here, a paragraph there… But I'm still determined to get this story purged onto paper. Thanks for bearing with me, everyone!

Also, I took some creative liberties with the Pepper-Up Potion. I'm aware it wouldn't normally be used for the purposes that I put it to.

17. Chapter 16 by ShabbyBeachNest [Reviews - 9] starstarstarstarhalf-star (2791 words) Printer

CHAPTER 16

**Author's Note: Thank you all so much for the get well wishes! The hubs is an EOD tech in the military (as in, he finds and removes roadside bombs – yeah, tell me I don't hold my breath every time he deploys for a year …) Needless to say, I was scared shitless ('scuse my French, but it's the truth) when I got the call that he was injured. Thank God he was here at home, and only training. At least that way the kids and I could be with him. He's been through a lot but will recover without any permanent damage. He's literally my hero; I adore that man more than is probably considered healthy. Thanks again for your thoughts and good juju, everyone! It is VERY MUCH appreciated. Xoxo

18. Chapter 17 by ShabbyBeachNest [Reviews - 6] starstarstarstarstar (3638 words) Printer

**Author's Note: This chapter is dedicated to all the single parents out there. I honestly don't know how you do it. Screw "The Avengers" – YOU are the true heroes! My husband is alive, thank God, but I've been forced to do things on my own until he recovers. I was raised by a single mom, and I called her last night in tears and thanked her for everything she did for me growing up. We struggled, it was hard, but she made sure I was never without. I've never truly understood just how amazing she is until recently. If you know a single parent, be sure to thank them for all the sacrifices they make in order to raise a family, for they are the true "Superman" and "Wonder Woman" of this world.

19. Chapter 18 by ShabbyBeachNest [Reviews - 7] starstarstarstarstar (2482 words) Printer

**Author's Note: Lyrics to songs are referenced in bold italics in this chapter, and should be read as if Snape and Lily are hearing them on the CD player. Although these songs did not exist in 1996, they provided me with such a strong inspiration that I just had to include them.

Snape's anguish is perfectly captured by a song called, "In Your Head" by Hymn de Lune, and is the first song I reference in this chapter. The second is a song that I found in the beginning of this story's journey, and I have always pictured this scene when I listen to it. It is by an artist named Jaymes Young, and is called, "I'll Be Good". I hope these songs help this scene come alive for you, like they did for me.

20. Chapter 19 by ShabbyBeachNest [Reviews - 10] starstarstarstarstar (3559 words) Printer

**Author's Note: Alright peeps… As you may have noticed, Snape now has a love-interest. And for the life of me, I can't bring myself to apologize for it. :} Some people have not reacted with the warm-fuzzies that it gives me, and that's totally ok! You're right… The canon version of Snape would NEVER be in a romantic relationship. But the canon version was so lonely, and he was a good man that deserved so much more than he got! If you can't find it within your hearts to allow him a little happiness after everything he went through in JK's canon version, then we shall have to part here as friends and wish each other Godspeed.

If you're still with me, then have no fear. The proverbial s**t is still going to hit the fan, as we are far from being done with this angst-ridden story. It's just that now, Snape has an even greater reason for trying to make the world a better place. And c'mon, don't you think he deserves a little love after all the heartache he's suffered?

Thanks for sticking with me! :]

21. Chapter 20 by ShabbyBeachNest [Reviews - 9] starstarstarstarstar (2808 words) Printer

22. Chapter 21 by ShabbyBeachNest [Reviews - 14] starstarstarstarstar (3294 words) Printer

23. Chapter 23 by ShabbyBeachNest [Reviews - 12] starstarstarstarhalf-star (4231 words) Printer

**Author's Notes: I'm sorry for all the perspective jumping in this chapter. Usually I try to keep it to a minimum, but in this case there was a lot of internal emotions to sort through on either side. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it!

24. Chapter 23 by ShabbyBeachNest [Reviews - 9] starstarstarstarhalf-star (3539 words) Printer

25. Chapter 24 by ShabbyBeachNest [Reviews - 11] starstarstarstarstar (4603 words) Printer

**Author's Note: WARNING! Intimate scene ahead! Although I made sure not to get too explicit, I did have to delve into the moment because this scene does in fact serve a purpose for the characters – especially Sev. If you're not a huge fan of love scenes, I hope you can appreciate that I tried to do it tastefully, and can look beyond it as just another milestone in the character's growth.

Also, this chapter is a bit fluffier in order to make up for the darkness of the last chapter. But don't worry, we'll get back to the BAMF and angsty goodness soon, I promise. Enjoy!

26. Chapter 25 by ShabbyBeachNest [Reviews - 10] starstarstarstarhalf-star (4705 words) Printer

27. Chapter 26 by ShabbyBeachNest [Reviews - 7] starstarstarstarstar (4381 words) Printer

**Author's Note: I apologize for the length of time it took to publish this chapter. I was trying to be a canon as possible with both Diagon Alley as well as the included stores, and ended up doing LOTS of research (including cracking open several of the HP books and rereading a few chapters). You may even notice that some of the descriptions and dialogue sound familiar, and that is because I tried to echo some of the same verbiage that JK used in order to keep my story very canon-esque. Although it took a lot longer than anticipated, this chapter was incredibly fun to write. Hopefully it gives the feeling of something that could have actually happened in JK's world. Enjoy, my lovely readers!

28. Chapter 27 by ShabbyBeachNest [Reviews - 7] starstarstarstarstar (5932 words) Printer

**Author's Note: I'm so sorry it took so long to get this out, everyone. It's looking like my husband may lose his foot, as the surgery that was performed doesn't seem to be working. It's been chaos around here, which unfortunately hasn't left me much time to write. But please know that I still have FULL INTENTION to get this story out! I literally have it on my to-do list every day, but sometimes there just isn't enough hours in the day. Thank you so much for your understanding, lovely readers. I hope you enjoy this chapter.

29. Chapter 28 by ShabbyBeachNest [Reviews - 9] starstarstarstarhalf-star (3113 words) Printer

30. Chapter 29 by ShabbyBeachNest [Reviews - 9] starstarstarstar (4699 words) Printer

**Author's Note: This chapter is based off Chapter 2 in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, entitled "Spinner's End". No copyright infringement intended. I'm just frolicking within the playground with all the kids that JK created.

On another note, THANK YOU SO MUCH for all of the kind words and sweet reviews! They've meant more to me than you know, especially with so much worry and uncertainty currently in my life regarding the man that I am MADLY in love with (in this case, the father of my children – not Severus Snape. Although I understand if that was your first thought, lol.) Thank you, my lovely readers, for always putting a smile on my face. Xoxoxo

31. Chapter 30 by ShabbyBeachNest [Reviews - 9] starstarstarstarstar (5310 words) Printer

**Author's Note: Disgusting, foul little creep alert. Sexual and physical abuse mentioned.

32. Chapter 31 by ShabbyBeachNest [Reviews - 16] starstarstarstarhalf-star (3193 words) Printer

**Author's Note: Thank you to everyone that read and commented on the last few chapters. A running theme in the reviews seems to be how much everyone hates Dumbledore. I just want to clarify that although he is, as Snape likes to call him, "An interfering, doddering old fool," he isn't a bad or vindictive man. The headmaster places too much trust in his assumption that people are ultimately good if given the chance. Unfortunately, his refusal to see the truth of both good AND evil in the world has been costly, both now and in the past.

I listened to, "What if This Storm Ends" by Snow Patrol while writing this chapter. It's a song filled with tension, and I feel like it conveys both Harry and Severus' emotions perfectly. I hope you enjoy!

33. Chapter 32 by ShabbyBeachNest [Reviews - 7] starstarstarstarhalf-star (4794 words) Printer

Hi everyone!! I'm SO sorry for the delay - my kids and I had the opportunity this summer to visit family for the first time in three years. I have to admit, I was so excited that I didn't even stop to think about my readers. By the time I remembered, it was too late and we had flown all the way across the country from my laptop, lol. All is not lost however, as I did work on some chapters on my phone. Thank you SO much for your patience with me, everyone!! I give you my word that chapters will be posted regularly from here on out.

34. Chapter 33 by ShabbyBeachNest [Reviews - 5] starstarstarstarhalf-star (3793 words) Printer

35. Chapter 34 by ShabbyBeachNest [Reviews - 13] starstarstarstar (3529 words) Printer

36. Chapter 35 by ShabbyBeachNest [Reviews - 2] starstarstarstarstar (4379 words) Printer

**AUTHOR'S NOTE: No excuse for how long it took to get this chapter up. But I still want to apologize. The hubby flies to Washington D.C. soon to see if they'll be able to save his leg, and with two small children AND a home business to run (websites, graphic design, & social media manager)… Life just got carried away from me for a while. I'm so sorry to all my lovely readers.

Also, fair warning: This chapter runs the gamut of sensation and passions – on both ends of the scale. And I mean that literally. As in, even I was not prepared for the spectrum of human emotion that the characters showed. I guess this story is rated "M" for a reason… I hope everyone enjoys!

37. Chapter 36 by ShabbyBeachNest [Reviews - 14] starstarstarstarstar (2624 words) Printer

The End.
ShabbyBeachNest is the author of 1 other stories. This story is part of the series, Right in Front of Me Trilogy. The next story in the series is Right Beside Me (Book 2).
This story is a favorite of 66 members. Members who liked Right in Front of Me (Book 1) also liked 1383 other stories.

Disclaimer Charm: Harry Potter and all related works including movie stills belong to J.K. Rowling, Scholastic, Warner Bros, and Bloomsbury. Used without permission. No copyright infringement is intended. No money is being made off of this site. All fanfiction and fanart are the property of the individual writers and artists represented on this site and do not represent the views and opinions of the Webmistress.

Powered by eFiction 3.5