Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Halloween arrives!
A Holiday Horror
Snape did not appear over the following days and it was upsetting to both Harry, Hermione and the Slytherins. The rest of the school were apparently celebrating the new temporary teacher – though it was not clear whether that was because they loved him or hated Snape or both. When he did not appear on the second day, Harry marched into McGonagall's office – much to his surprise joined by Hermione and asked where the professor might be. But McGonagall only said that he was 'away' and that they need not worry. Then she sent Harry a look full of pity and told him to come to her if there was anything else he needed. The next day there was still no sign and Harry was getting increasingly worried. Not because he really cared what happened to the man in general – or so he told himself but because while Snape was by no means a friend he was a sort of somewhat ally – kinda. Well, he still wanted Harry to talk but at least they were on the same side regarding any investigations. The uncertainty that followed when the only adult he had any hope might be any use to him was gone just like that was noticeably affecting the boy.

It was the day of Halloween and school was becoming scary in more than one sense. Decorations were being put up and some of the ghosts got an extra kick out of playing 'Peeves for a day' by jumping out of walls to scare students. There were pumpkins and paper skeletons everywhere. There were missing potions professors and celebrations of Voldemort's defeat. There were evil plots being executed and there were young boys terrified that their world was collapsing around them. On Halloween eve Harry sat on his bed as Ron and Hermione stood in front of him with a confused look on their faces. Percy had been there not half an hour earlier to remind everyone that unless you were in the hospital wing then the feast was mandatory. Harry did not want to go. Ron did and Hermione was indifferent but both friend were adamant that Harry should not sit there alone.

”My father died tonight,” said Harry quietly. ”Did you know that?”

”Yeah, mate. Everyone does,” said Ron who was gnawing on a pumpkin-shaped lollipop.

”He is a hero to all of us,” said Hermione and sent Ron a disapproving look. ”Harry... Is that why you don't want to go?”

Harry shrugged which could be a yes or a no or both depending on how you saw it. That did not really sadden him the way Hermione thought but it filled Harry with bitterness. Bitterness, that the hero, the perfect father was dead and here Harry was, while everyone else celebrated the anniversary of that death – or a death anyway and Harry was worrying himself sick over a man that he hated. The same man who had dared taking his father's place, although not as Harry's father then as his mother's husband. And why would he care anyway? Snape was an evil git! But he was an evil git Harry knew. Someone whose actions and reasoning he was used too and that he could predict. And even though he was the second worst bit of home he was still the only bit Harry had to cling to here. Ron was beginning to trip slightly. He was clearly worried about missing the feast but still reluctant to leave Harry.

”Harry, won't you come down just for bit? We can always leave and professor McGonagall will want to see you there,” said Hermione quietly. But it was clear from her tone of voice that she was not expecting a 'yes'. ”For heavens sake, Ron! Go ahead will you? We'll be right behind you,” she promised on both her own and Harry's behalf when Ron was beginning to glance at the door.

”Right,” said Ron, glancing at Harry before he disappeared. Harry actually smiled ever so slightly at this.

”Hermione, you know you just promised him I'd come, don't you?” said Harry in a slightly accusing tone.

”I know,” mumbled Hermione. ”Harry, won't you? Just for five minutes?” Harry got up in annoyance and walked out with Hermione hot on his heels. Harry was actually partially trying to shake her off by walking too fast yet at the same time not so much that she would actually give up. When Harry realized these feelings he froze to the ground and started to shake. Hermione caught up with him a moment afterwards. ”Harry! Harry? Are you alright?” she questioned with concern.

”I'm sorry,” said Harry, looking away. And he was. He was sorry he could not be a friend to them. He was sorry they worried and he was sorry he wasn't right in the head. ”In here,” said Hermione and nudged him into a nearby bathroom. ”Harry, I know you won't tell me what's wrong but can't you talk to professor McGonagall?” urged his friend once they were alone. Harry did not reply to that. He just sank onto the partially wet floor while Hermione looked on. ”Okay,” she said finally and sat on the floor next to him. ”You don't have to go but we're having Halloween right here then,” she smiled and gave him a firm nod like she had answered a question in class. Harry sat there a while. He was not entirely sure how long but at one point he glanced up and saw Hermione sitting there with a book. She fetched three candies from within her bag and placed two on Harry's thigh. He cried silently as he took one and popped it in his mouth so as to not upset her.

Why were they so nice to him? What did he ever do to deserve that? Aoife was down right malicious towards him. Snape was usually indifferent or overly harsh. His mother seemed not to take much notice as to whether he was there or not. Perhaps it was because they did not know him well that they were so nice? Perhaps it was out of some sort of duty? Or pity? But Harry did not really want to believe that. Even if he weren't fit to be anyone's friend he at least wanted to believe so for now or he would really have nothing left. Hermione either took no notice of Harry's state or she did not comment on it – probably the latter. Oddly enough that was the single most comforting thing she could have done and Harry actually felt a little better about her not demanding an answer as to why he was crying now. He slowly began to unwrap the second sweet and ate it, actually enjoying it a little. ”Don't you want to go to the feast?” said Harry carefully as he studied Hermione.

”Maybe... I don't know. It's just a feast I guess,” shrugged Hermione. Though Harry did not entirely buy it he appreciated it for what it was. ”Yeah...” he said and wiped his eyes with his sleeve. ”Thanks.” Hermione nodded and Harry shrugged.

”I guess I could have chosen a better location though,” said Hermione looking around. ”It smells in here.”

Harry sniffed the air and grimaced before nodding. ”Ugh! Yeah, I think there must be a broken loo in here,” he commented. ”I didn't think girls' bathrooms smelled,” he said.

Hermione opened her mouth, most likely to contradict that when suddenly they heard a low sound – somewhere between a moan and a growl. Both children flew to a standing position, Hermione dropping her book on the floor. ”W-what was that?” she squeaked. They both stood completely still and listened. Just as Harry was about to comment it might be the faulty plumbing another loud moan was heard. Hermione jumped and grabbed Harry's arm.

”M-maybe we should j-just leave,” suggested Harry but then the moan came again and this time it was clear it was coming from just outside the door. The foul smell was becoming stronger. Hermione crept backwards and dragged Harry with her. ”Shh!” she cautioned. Then in the next instance the door to the bathroom splintered into pieces as something heavy rammed into it. Shrieks of terror escaped both children as they rushed into one of the nearby stalls both only managing a glimpse of the beast entering the room. ”What is that thing?” whispered Harry as he and Hermione clung to one another. ”I think...” said Hermione. ”I think it might be a troll but...” She did not get to finish her sentence as the troll roared clearly being able to smell the two snacks hiding in the bathroom and swung its weapon at one of the stalls. The giant club it carried only narrowly missed the children, taking down the stall next to them and one side of the one they were hiding in. Water began flooding the place as the giant troll roared with annoyance at the screams of the students.

The troll proceeded to take two heavy steps further towards them. ”Harry!” cried Hermione as she crawled across the floor to hide under the sinks. The troll swung and only barely missed the small girl. The tiles of the floor cracked loudly from the force of the blow. ”Hey! … Troll!” cried Harry as he flung a piece of wood at the troll. In the next moment he threw himself to the ground as the giant creature swung widely tearing through the stalls and burying Harry in wood and porcelain. ”Harry!” screamed Hermione from somewhere under the sinks as she lost sight of her friend. Harry fought to crawl out of the rubble but he only barely managed to get out before the club landed inches away from his head. Harry rolled across the floor and the troll swung again at the small screaming one under the sink. Harry scrambled onto his feet as Hermione pressed herself against the wall to avoid being hit. Harry was panicking and frantically trying to think of something to do. The path to the door – or former door, was now open to him but he could not leave Hermione behind. Lacking a weapon he ran towards the troll and kicked the back of its leg as hard as he could. His wand was forgotten entirely. It clearly did not hurt the troll at all but it got its attention and it turned around slowly to face Harry, almost knocking him out with club. Harry fell backwards onto the floor and rolled to the side to dodge the next blow. He turned and grabbed the club only to be raised in the air by a confused mountain troll.

”Harry?!” cried someone but it was not Hermione. The troll swung the club around in the air, trying to get the boy to let go so Harry could not see who it was but recognized Ron's voice immediately. Ron began hurling wood and porcelain at the troll and clearly Hermione joined in. ”Ron! Do something! I do not have my wand on me!” cried Hermione. Harry did not know what Ron was planning to do but then he head his friend saying loudly: ”Wingardium Leviosa!” The club stopped moving midair somewhere above the troll's head and while the full stop was confusing to the troll it was completely unexpected to Harry who lost his grip and flew through the air into a wall. Someone screamed but Harry was not sure whether it was Hermione or himself as his head smacked into the wall and he fell to the wet floor. Before Harry blacked out he heard a male adult voice booming: ”Confringo!” The shout was followed by two dull thuds.

When Harry woke up it was clearly bright outside though curtains were drawn. Small beams of light found their way through however. Harry slowly got up and tried to look around but the room was blurry as he was not wearing his glasses. He searched the bedside table to find them lying there but only barely managed not to knock them onto the floor. He was in the hospital wing – alone by the looks of it. The room was rather dark and his head was still hurting slightly. What on earth happened to the troll? He was wearing the infirmary pajamas and his clothes lay neatly folded on a nearby chair. Harry ran his fingers through his spiky hair causing it to look even more messy and moved over to the side of the bed intending to jump off.

”Back to bed,” said a hoarse voice firmly from somewhere within the shadows and Harry nearly fell off the bed in surprise. Harry blinked. No! It couldn't be... ”Snape?” he asked quietly in the direction of the voice. He heard a sigh and then the man rose from his seat and flicked his wand causing the lamp on Harry's nightstand to light up. It was indeed Snape but Harry was still shocked by what he saw. The man's complexion had gone from pasty to ghostly. His hair, though still greasy, did not hang in the usually straight curtains but stuck out in places. He looked tired above anything else. Like a man who had not slept for days. It was so strange to see him standing there after days of worrying about the man and wondering where he was. He did not even answer the question nor did he look at Harry. He stared straight ahead like a man who is either deep in thought or thinking nothing at all. Harry did not even know what to say. He had a million questions to ask.

”Why... am I here?” said Harry, choosing the simplest one to begin with.

”Because you were thrown into wall by troll four times your size,” drawled Snape but his voice had no bite. The only thing in it was exhaustion.

”Have I slept all this time?” asked Harry as he desperately tried to remember the details.

”Hardly, you've been woken several times for check-ups I am told. You will be happy to know you got lucky. A concussion but no broken bones,” said Snape as he removed Harry's clothes from the chair near the cot and placed it on the nightstand before sitting down. Someone had arrived to save them? That wasn't Snape right? Could it be? "What happened to the troll?” Harry asked. Snape glanced at him for the first time. ”I am told professor McGonagall and Lupin arrived and took care of the situation." He tensed when he spoke Lupin's name though Harry did not know why.

”Oh,” said Harry. That made sense. ”Are the others okay?” Snape just sighed in response. ”Why are you here?” said Harry finally getting to the question that was bugging him the most. ”Where have you been? Why did you leave?”

”Am I here,” said Snape curtly and Harry lowered his head. ”Because I could not be prevented from being here. Not when something as serious as this befalls you at least.”

”Oh,” Harry repeated himself. That answer was not at all satisfying. Oddly enough Snape's appearance made Harry think it was him who should be in the cot not Harry. ”What happened?” said Harry and raised his head to look into Snape's black eyes, hoping to convey what incident he was referring to.

”You needn't worry yourself,” said Snape in a voice laced with bitterness and rose abruptly from his seat as though he was insulted by the question. Harry was not sure whether Snape thought he was faking being worried just to be nosy or he was upset because Harry worried.

”But I do!” Harry objected. ”It's not fair! You can't just disappear and not tell me anything like that! What am I supposed to think?”

”I imagined you would be pleased,” sneered Snape but then his facial features softened and he rubbed his temples. ”I was subjected to Veritaserum – a potion that forces you to speak only the truth - as you know it,” he explained. ”I was not very successful at my negotiations and the Headmaster permitted your Head of House to remain present,” he continued.

”So?” questioned Harry. ”So...” repeated Snape. ”She is at the very least content that I am not responsible for the injuries they discovered upon you.” There was no triumph in Snape's voice. No hint that he was pleased with the results and still no answer to why he had disappeared. Snape looked away from Harry and the boy crept further down the bed to get closer. ”The potion is in effect for some time depending on the dosage,” said Snape hoarsely. Harry stared at the shadow of a man in confusion, taking in the dark half-circles under his eyes and the strange weak body-language that was so entirely unlike him. Then it clicked. It was the combination of Snape's phrasing and the way he had said 'the injuries discovered upon you' where he might as easily have said she knew he did not abuse Harry.

”Did she..?” Harry didn't even finish the question. ”Professor McGonagall thought it necessary to question me further,” said Snape with a blank stare. ”You cannot refuse to answer a question when affected by the potion.”

”I'm sorry,” Harry offered. He wasn't entirely sure how McGonagall had reacted to details of their actual relationship but he was not sure he wanted to know. ”I believe many would argue she did nothing to me that I did not deserve,” said Snape firmly, clearly uncomfortable with the topic. Harry wanted to ask exactly what she did and what she had asked but settled for: ”But she's not allowed to hurt you is she?” Snape let out something which might by someone else be considered a chuckle but Harry knew his ears were playing a trick on him. ”Professor McGonagall is not prone to rage. Still, I suggest you do not provoke it.” He looked at Harry for a moment as if considering something. ”Calm yourself. The Headmaster would never permit her to harm me.” Still, Harry could not help but think to himself that she might still have gotten to do something before she could be prevented – why else would Snape be looking so awful? ”Where were you?” he said.

”Prince Manor,” replied Snape pensively.

”Oh... Is mum okay?” Harry said. He did not think Aoife would have done anything terrible with Snape there. Snape paused for a moment. ”Yes.”

Harry didn't know how to feel. This had to be the strangest conversation of his life. He'd thought Snape's return might bring some reassurance but it only raised more questions. Harry found himself more worried now that the man was there than he had been when he wasn't. ”You need to rest,” said Snape suddenly. ”I will inform Madam Pomfrey that you are awake.” Then he rose slowly from his seat. ”Wait!” said Harry and jumped off the cot. Snape turned and gave Harry a stern look before pointing a bony finger at the bed. It came as a surprise to Harry who had almost only seen resignation and exhaustion in the man's eyes during their talk. The boy gulped slightly at the familiar look which made him feel two inches tall and crawled back up in the bed. ”Are you coming back?” he asked quietly as Snape turned to leave. Snape turned back around and placed a hand on Harry's shoulder, slowly but firmly pushing him back down onto the bed. ”Yes, I believe so. Otherwise there will be a staff shortage now that Quirrel has had an... accident. Now rest,” he said shortly. Then, without another word the man turned and left the infirmary, the sound of his footsteps echoing on the stone floors.
Chapter End Notes:
Thank you for your patience! I have been ill since August and am finding it harder to update with my rl responsibilities on top. I am sorry if this affects my quality. *hugs all*