Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Harry challenges Snape
A Tale Of Two Wizards
The next morning Harry was woken up at seven when Aoife waltzed in and pulled the covers off him. After eating his rather bland breakfast porridge, he got dressed and took a deep breath before walking down the stairs. It was Sunday and the worst day to be grounded because he had no lessons to distract him. While on the staircase he heard hushed voices and carefully crept downwards until he could see the door to the Summer Room, slightly ajar. He slowly made his way closer and could recognize the voices of his mother, Snape and Lizette. But why were they whispering? Harry peeked through the crack and saw his mother still sitting in her bed. Snape was sitting at her bedside and Lizette the blonde, round-faced woman seemed to be watching over them like some kind guard.

”I don't know,” said Lily quietly. ”It's too soon.”

”I don't see the harm,” replied Snape.

”Promise,” said Lily as she reached for his hand. Snape looked her in the eyes for a moment before he sighed. He lifted her hand and kissed it, holding it in his own hands as he lowered it back onto the bedcover.

”You're right. You're always right,” he smiled. It made Harry want to retch.

”Sev, remember what I told you earlier. He's just a boy. Would it kill you?”

Snape seemed to give her a look but Harry didn't know what it meant. ”You don't understand,” he began.

”I do,” replied Lily. ”And I think it's ridiculous. It's not what I wanted. I'm sure, I'm sure it's not what you wanted either... And now, you know it needs to be done. It's what I want. Don't you want the same?” She replied with what seemed like heartbreak surfacing in her voice.

”I...” began Snape when the floor under Harry suddenly creaked. In the next moment Lizette flung the door open and glared down at Harry. She gently pushed Harry inside where his mother and stepfather both stared at him. ”Very well,” Snape sighed as he got up. ”I will try. But now I suppose I should deal with our son?

Lily smiled, seemingly unfazed by the reluctant way Snape spoke the last words. Harry was just about to say a few things about whose son he was and wasn't when Snape took his hand and dragged him out of the Summer Room and up to the second floor.

”Eavesdropping?” he said sharply as he released him. ”I realize I may not have made it clear - having been given no chance, but you're confined to your room for the time being.” The man crossed his arms as if daring Harry to say otherwise. The boy subconsciously mirrored the man's stance and glared right back at him.

”See if I care,” replied Harry with his heart beating speedily. It took all his courage to be doing this – deliberately. Normally he had his anger to fuel him but now all he had was his determination to be contrary.

Excuse me?” replied Snape with quite a bit of surprise.

”You heard me,” snapped Harry, but then his courage left him and he ran down the stairs and out into the gardens to hide for a while. Unbeknownst to him he left his stepfather behind in an internal battle between his anger and resentment and his commitment to promises he had given.

The weeks passed like slow torture. It was late June and Harry Potter was finding he was a lot braver and more persistent than he'd thought. The tension in the house at this point could be cut into squares. It was summer time and what was meant to be time off for Snape had probably aged him a few years. Things had begun to disappear and reappear around the manor and it was getting on people's nerves. Harry was late for everything and snapped at everyone but Orla and Lily – though he was surprisingly stiff around the latter. Most importantly there was a large amount of laundry that came out stinking of vinegar – although Harry regretted that one because Orla was initially blamed for it. He was grounded of course but everyone had come to realize nothing but a locked door would keep Harry in his room. Harry was sitting on his bed quite puzzled. His stepfather was acting strange. In fact his mother was too. His mother had been very withdrawn and she smiled sadly whenever she saw him. She kept asking him to do things with Snape or help him but Harry couldn't stop now. There was the other thing. He'd expected Snape to blow up within a maximum of two days. It's not that he wanted a spanking – heavens no, but he was surprised it hadn't come to that. In fact Snape seemed to be avoiding him and although he'd scolded him at every turn – Harry had been expecting more. It was almost as if he was struggling not to punish Harry. The vinegar had finally become too much for the man and he'd delivered four good smacks. Perhaps he knew what Harry was doing? Perhaps Harry wasn't doing enough?

Just then Harry jumped at the sound of tapping. It took him a moment to realize it wasn't coming from the door. He turned to find a big brown owl flapping around in front of his window, tapping the glass with its beak.

”Shoot!” muttered Harry as panic took hold of him. ”Shhh! I can't let you in! The window doesn't open!” He wasn't quite sure if the bird could hear him or whether it would matter anyway. Harry didn't have enough seconds in a minute. Despite still being in his pajamas, he opened the door and went down the stairs as fast as he dared, hoping no one was around to hear the creaking steps. At the end of the second floor corridor, near the stairs leading to the attic, was a small wooden door that looked ancient despite being a Victorian addition. The house had three wings, the central part being the original Tudor house. There were four entrances to the attic rooms and four of these little doors near them. Harry opened the door with much difficulty as the wood was heavy and the hinges rarely used. The colder air hid his face and briefly made him shiver as he'd not long ago been in his bed. There were three stone steps up into the little highly decorative neogothic tower. The 'room' wasn't larger than two adults might squeeze in there. It had several small gothic windows but none of them had glass in them.

”Hey!” cried Harry as loudly as he dared. ”Hey, owl? I'm over here!”

Not a moment later the large owl perched in one of the windows and hooted its displeasure. It had an envelope in its claws which it dropped on the floor. Harry picked it up with trepidation.

Mr H. Potter
Prince Manor
17 North Killea Way
Athlea, Ireland


Harry turned the envelope over although he already knew what it would be. He never got any mail. There on the back was a large purple wax seal and the words: Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry. He gulped and quickly stuffed the letter inside his shirt. The owl hooted again and Harry realized it likely expected some kind of treat. ”Shoo! I don't have anything! I'm so sorry!” The owl shook itself and snapped at Harry's fingers before it took off. He climbed out of the tower and closed the door behind him before sneaking back into his room.

What was he going to do with that letter? Oh, his mother would be so happy that he finally got it! She'd said she wanted to open it with him. But he'd made a promise to himself. He'd made a plan. Perhaps he should pretend he didn't get it? Should he throw it out? But where could he get rid of it without anyone seeing it or finding it? He'd have to think of something. A place Aoife, the house elves and Snape wouldn't find it or wouldn't think to look for it. Harry smirked. That was it! He'd gotten the perfect idea. He'd have to hide it in Lily's room! Harry dressed quickly and hid the letter inside his shirt.

Harry's heart was beating so terribly fast when he closed the door to the Summer Room behind him. The letter was safe now. Safely dumped behind Lily's desk amidst the dust where no one would look. Now onto greater things! He'd have to do something. What about the basement? Harry wasn't allowed in the basement. That was where Snape kept his potions lab. Mostly it was locked. But not always! He wasn't exactly sure what he was going to do. He'd never been in there so he'd make it up as he went along. At lunchtime he didn't go down into the dining room but instead made his way up the stairs.

”And just what to you think you're doing?” shrieked a voice behind him. Harry turned with a paling face to see Aoife standing there grim and cross-armed. You wouldn't think that a woman as thin and bony as her could be that strong and terrifying. She tapped her wand against her arm ominously. Harry knew she wouldn't dare use magic against him – or at least she hadn't dared yet.

”I was going to my room,” Harry replied.

”Well, if it pleases your Lordship lunch is served in the dining room. Now!” she sneered. Harry glared at her and replied he wasn't going. ”Tsk..Tsk.. It seems someone is being bad again. Won't Master Severus be disappointed to hear it.”

”Why don't you just bring me some food? Isn't that - like, your job or something?” Harry spat. Aoife clearly didn't like that at all and in the next moment she had grabbed Harry by the arm and hauled him along so quickly that Harry didn't make the next step and fell head first on the stair case. She didn't seem fazed as she simply tightened her grip unbearably and dragged him along despite the fact the boy was struggling to even get on his feet.

”You won't go to lunch? You can skip lunch!” she snapped as she eventually pushed him to the floor of his bedroom. Then she removed her keys from her belt.

”Wait!” Harry objected as he clutched his upper arm. ”You can't... What if I need to go to the bathroom?”

”You should have thought about that earlier, shouldn't you?” sneered Aoife. ”I'll inform your parents you are dining alone.” With that she closed the door and locked it. Well, that certainly didn't fit with Harry's plans. He'd just wanted to stay behind because he knew Snape often left the basement door unlocked when he wasn't gone long. How was he going to get out now? Harry sat against the door and placed his palms on the lock.

”Come on! Come on!” he whispered as he concentrated with closed eyes. He'd done magic before but never on purpose. Maybe if he just really, really wanted it? Suddenly he heard a decided click as the lock turned. The boy stared at the door with wide eyes. Did he just? He really did! Normally, when he'd actually wanted something to happen, nothing had. That was something to explore for later. For now he opened the door and began sneaking outside. Then he realized he'd be busted should he go through the first and ground floor. Instead he went to the window. He'd always wanted to do this. There was an old drainpipe right next to the window. Harry had always wondered if you could slide down it and he was about to find out. It was with a great deal of nervousness, however, that he sat on the windowsill and looked down. He grabbed onto the pipe which was nowhere near as smooth as he'd imagined. It was too late to change his mind. His feet had already lifted off the windowsill. Harry slid downwards, feeling the fresh summer air upon him. He slowly descended – which he was glad of. The pipe creaked ominously and shook violently. Harry was relieved when he finally landed on the ground and could jump back in through the window there. Now it was just a question of avoiding the kitchens and old 'servants quarters'. Luckily the black door leading down into the depths wasn't far away. Harry was pretty sure no one had seen him – not even Orla. Moment of truth. Harry tryingly turned the door handle.

The door creaked loudly as it opened. The black painted wood had seem better days. He'd been in luck. All Harry could see was darkness and the top of the staircase leading down into it. Another thing that struck him was the nauseating smell of fire, herbs and Merlin knows what. There was a certain soursweetness about it as if something was rotting or pickled down there. Probably both! And thus Harry began literally climbing down the stairs as he carefully placed each foot. It was exciting and scary at the same time. He knew the man made potions here and that his mother had been down there as well in the past but what exactly was down there was a mystery. Soon his feet hit stone and as Harry blinked and felt the walls he realized he was in a hallway. Near the end he could see light. He probably should have closed the door behind him but he didn't like the idea of getting trapped down here. He stumbled towards the light and found it was a slightly open door. He pushed it open and suddenly he was in a rather large well-lit room. There were shelves everywhere with books, jars and bottles. Bundles of dried plants hung from the ceiling and the fireplace was lit. Cauldrons were simmering merrily on the tables where knifes, cut herbs and open books lay.

What was he going to do? Simply being here was awful in Snape's book but Harry didn't really think it would be enough. Should he steal something? Muck up a potion? But what would really be the point? He'd either have something he didn't know what was or possibly blow himself up. His mother had once insisted on teaching him the theory of potions. Harry had tried really hard then although it bothered him that Lily had this love in common with Snape. But then she'd decided Snape had to tutor him and from then on Harry had lost all will to pull through it. Harry's eyes widened as he stopped by one of the tables. It couldn't be! He couldn't believe his luck! There, on the table next to some strange purple root, lay Snape's wand! He recognized it immediately. But Snape never forgot... Could he have forgotten? The lock incident from earlier came to mind. Harry couldn't resist. He reached out and picked up the wand. It pulsed in his hand with something Harry didn't recognize. It felt so... powerful? He smiled widely. Harry stuck it up his sleeve. That would have to wait. Now he needed to get back out.

Harry quickly made his way back up and shut the door. It was exhilarating! He'd never dared steal a wand before. He'd been warned enough by all the adults. But Harry knew he could do magic and that he could do it right! He'd done so earlier without one so having a wand would only make it easier! He made for the backdoor. He'd go into the garden and test it out. Just then someone cleared their throat behind him. Harry turned to see the person he'd least wanted to see considering what was hidden in his sleeve.

”Would you care to join me in the parlor for a... discussion?” said Snape in a tight voice which did not present the sentence as a question.

”Umm... Okay,” mumbled Harry and then immediately cringed. He was an idiot. All he had to do was run away into the gardens, perhaps delivering a few insults prior to that but he'd never done anything like this before and it was making him nervous. He followed Snape while considering his options. He didn't even know what Snape wanted. His stepfather paused and seemed to study Harry for some time. Harry could feel his palms sweating. Despite having talked back and misbehaved for a month, he'd never in his life done anything like this and honestly he'd begun to think if he hadn't gone too far. Did Snape know? The way he was looking at him... No, he'd already be dead if he knew.

”Aoife tells me you refused to join us for lunch and then ordered her to serve you in your room,” Snape suddenly spoke. His voice was low and calm but still somehow tense as if he was holding something back.

”W..What do you care?” Harry managed to get out. ”You wouldn't want me there anyway.”

Snape sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. ”That is hardly the point. When you are told to come join us, you will obey. You do not order Aoife around as you please. She is no servant of yours.”

”Kinda,” Harry muttered.

”I've been very patient...” started Snape.

”You know what? You don't get to order me around either then!” interrupted Harry. ”I'm not your servant!”

Snape glared at him furiously. ”That's it,” he snarled in a much too low voice for Harry's comfort. ”I've been nothing but patient and lenient! All your mother and I ask is that you behave yourself, respect your elders and work hard on your schoolwork. If it has escaped your notice, young man, not every child has the absolute luxury of living in a place like this. The shear amount of money I spend on you! The patience with which your mother and I put up with you! But not even a hint of gratitude! No, nothing is good enough for Prince Potter! Your mother may wish me to 'go easy' on you but I have had enough! You will apologize for your behavior this instance!”

Harry just gaped. He could feel both tears and fury welling up. Did Snape honestly think he liked this place? How was this in any way a paradise? He didn't care if he lived in a cardboard box if it meant never seeing Snape and Aoife's ugly faces again. Ugly face.. That was good enough.

”Apologize?” Harry spat. ”Who'd want to look at your ugly face at lunch? I'd lose my appetite!”

Snape's face paled visibly and his lips tightened into near non-existent lines. ”This! This is the child Lily wants to chain me to? Your mother has lost her mind if she truly thinks I could ever adopt this!

Now it was Harry's turn to be shocked. ”What?! What do you mean 'adopt'?” he cried with obvious terror.

”Oh, yes!” huffed Snape, nearly smirking at Harry's horror. ”Your mother thought it might be a great way to bring us closer together,” he sneered. The 'and in case something happens to her' was left out but Harry wasn't so dumb he couldn't piece that one together. He'd thought about it often – what would happen to him if his mother... No he couldn't think about that now. ”My son or not,” continued Snape. ”I will not tolerate this amount of disrespect in my house! To me, boy!”

Snape reached out a hand as if expecting Harry to simply comply but Harry just stood there dumbfounded. ”Then again, if the idea is as repulsive to you as it seems to be it might well be a fitting punishment, though I am not likely to survive it,” threatened Snape with a slight smirk. Harry still hadn't quite processed the whole thing. ”But... You can't! You can't adopt me! I won't agree to that! You're not my father! You'll never...”

”Ah yes! James Potter! The perfect man. Must I have no peace from him? Can he not just stay dead?!” Snape spat. His eyes were burning with something. It was as if he was seeing something Harry couldn't see. The dark-clad man stepped ominously closer to Harry as he spoke, step by step and Harry found himself stumbling backwards. ”Must I raise his spawn? So alike in every way. James bloody Potter! Risen from the dead. Must he haunt me forever!?”

Now Harry was truly terrified. Snape had never acted so... unhinged before. In one swift movement he pulled the wand from his sleeve and pointed it at his stepfather. ”Stay away from me!” he screamed. Snape stopped dead in his tracks and stared at the wand Harry was holding in his shaking hands before he immediately checked his own pockets.

”You... Give that back to me, you little thief!” he hissed as he reached for the wand.

Go away! Go away! Make him stop! Go away! Harry mentally repeated to himself as he stepped out of Snape's reach.

Harry!” the man snapped. ”This is not amusing! Hand it over! NOW!”

Stop! Harry violently flicked the wand and he closed eyes. He heard the blast and the sound of wood and glass shattering as the force of it pushed him to the ground. He landed on his butt and opened his eyes. He was shaking from the shock. Pictures and other wall decor from the opposite wall now lay shattered on the floor and there was a sizeable hole in the wall. Snape was lying on the floor to the right as if he'd either jumped aside or been flung like Harry. The man slowly stood and brushed himself off. Then he stepped closer to Harry and held out his hand.

”My wand,” he said calmly, too calmly.

Harry didn't dare disobey. He held out the wand and Snape snatched it away before tucking it back into his robes. Then he pulled Harry up by the arm, firmly but not violently. Harry still winced though from Aoife's mistreatment earlier. He was in a daze. He couldn't believe what had just happened. Therefore, he also didn't realize that he was over Snape's lap before the first smack hit his backside. Harry yelped pitifully but held his tongue. How could he have been so stupid?

You, young man,” hissed Snape as another smack fell. ”Are lucky to be alive!”
Chapter End Notes:
Update! This story is due to be deleted
UPDATE'S UPDATE! So Jan kindly pointed out that renaming it might be a solution.
Update - renamed! Thx to Twonky!